PDA

View Full Version : Redskins Draft Order of Importance

ConradCountry
03-31-2004, 11:05 AM
1. S Sean Taylor, their are 10 1st rd d-lineman every year so to run off and say we have to get d-lineman is a rash statement. Their is not a Taylor in the draft every year.

2. DT Vince Wilfork, the skins allowed around 130 yards on the ground last year and they still haven't got an elite runstuffer. With the hole at MLB protection is needed.

3. DE Kenechi Udeze, the skins need a pass rush and he can provide it, but I don't know if I would pass on Taylor to get a guy who wil be there next year.

4. TE Kellen Winslow, "Soldier" I hate K2, go play OG or DT and then call your self a soldier because you play TE.

Opinions?

jschlesi
03-31-2004, 11:14 AM
I like Wilfork a bunch. Think he is the best fit for our DLine troubles. Taylor is the best safety n the draft but there are otehrs that are good behind him --- Sanders.
Udeze-- Iam not sure what it is -- his size-- but I am afraid of drafting another terrell suggs.
Winslow-- there has been too much said about him already. I am not sure he is a GIbbs guy

ConradCountry
03-31-2004, 11:20 AM
Taylor is above and beyond the other safeties in the draft, I think it comes down to a very simple question.

Will there be a Wilfork or Udeze in the draft next year 05?
Yes

Will there be a Sean Taylor in the draft next year 05?
NO

PA Skins Girl
03-31-2004, 11:29 AM
I know I'm in the minority, but I like Will Smith in the first round. His stock is very much on the rise, too. He reminds me of Charles Mann. So, I say trade down a couple picks and pick up a second or third rounder:

Round 1) DE Will Smith (via trade down)
Round 2/3) TE Ben Watson or TE Ben Hartsock (both very smart)
Round 5) DT Tim Anderson (Hard working)
Round 6) LB or OL

DIEHARD FAN
03-31-2004, 11:39 AM
If you keep the pick Sean Taylor should be the right move
If you trade down D Line is a must
K2 is great choice for another team
Will Smith is better pass rusher than Udeze is the safer choice because he is solid with greater upside
Right now pass rusher is the greater need
Gibbs will continue to add role players

zeps67
03-31-2004, 11:46 AM
i agree with skins girl. get will smith. i am fron ohio and i know that he is a beast of a d end. sean taylor would be ok if we don't trade down.

dj_stouty
03-31-2004, 12:01 PM
moved to draft forum...

VirginiaRedskin
03-31-2004, 12:11 PM
I have been high on Smith for a while. I think he will be better than Udeze. The only problem is I feel his stock has risen too much. I had thought two months ago that we could trade down to the 15-18 range and still grab him. Not anymore.

Smiley
03-31-2004, 12:30 PM
Taylor, unless we slide down, then, take DE or DT. Starks?

redwolf1218
03-31-2004, 12:54 PM
with all the qb's and receivers in the draft, i still think we could trade down and get real quality on the d-line. i'd like to see them trade down twice actually, to 10 or 11, then to 15 or 16, and stockpile extra picks. will smith might still be there in the 15 to 18 range.

J-Rod
03-31-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by PA Skins Girl
I know I'm in the minority, but I like Will Smith in the first round. His stock is very much on the rise, too. He reminds me of Charles Mann. So, I say trade down a couple picks and pick up a second or third rounder:

Round 6) LB or OL

Three OSU players? I get the feeling you are an Ohio State fan?

badpigs442
03-31-2004, 02:14 PM
That is the same way I feel. Taylor is such an impact player that he can influence game just as much as any DL we could draft. The fact that Taylors are son hard to come buy would make us a very special team to have him. This is one of the most talent rich drafts in a long time, there is a good chance their won't be another Wilfork available to our team next year, that is assuming Gibbs and co. reach the post season. However, their is always what is now the Redskins favorite time of year free agency where we can find someone to cure whatever maybe ailing us.

ihatedallas
03-31-2004, 03:03 PM
I agree totally with your order conradcountry especially with you on winslow hes a head case,we just signed a tight end, and gibbs doesnt usually utilize a tight end in the passing game

PA Skins Girl
03-31-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by J-Rod
Three OSU players? I get the feeling you are an Ohio State fan? Uh, actually, I didnt even realize it. I'm not a college fan at all. Just kind of read through the scouting reports in the positions we need. More looking for smart guys that work hard. Does look a little funny though, huh.

WinslowRedskin
03-31-2004, 03:52 PM
If we trade down I think a DE is a must. Griffin is a good DT and Noble will be ok. I still say Taylor or Winslow though.

LavarBabyDaddy
03-31-2004, 04:24 PM
Just look at it this way, how good will Sean Taylor make the skins Defense and DL look? How well will a good DL make an avg safety. I think I would go for the latter

redwolf1218
03-31-2004, 05:25 PM
we need a guy with brains and heart. the combine tests arent everything. anybody remember mike mamula? or tony mandarich? look at ramsey...better numbers than carr or harrington so far, didnt wow anybody with combine results, all anybody talked about was carr and harrington, but ramsey was a double major in accounting & finance, 3rd from the top in his class at tulane, and no one can question his heart

PA Skins Girl
03-31-2004, 06:01 PM
I agree 100% Redwolf (and Gibbs does too).

redwolf1218
03-31-2004, 06:39 PM
great minds think alike. gibbs will take guys with character, heart, brains, determination...great 40 times and vertical leaps will be icing on the cake (art monk had it all!)

redwolf1218
03-31-2004, 07:00 PM
but anyway, i would not take a safety at 5. i'd trade down. here are plenty of guys with heart down further in the draft, guys like kurt guvea, monty coleman, neal olkewiks(?)...

PA Skins Girl
03-31-2004, 07:21 PM
Anyone can recognize talent. What Gibbs does best is recognize the intangibles in people. I completely trust his judgement.

redwolf1218
03-31-2004, 07:27 PM
i cant wait to see who they draft because they wont be taking any jerks just because they run fast and jump high. hahaha

War Hogg
03-31-2004, 07:51 PM
I think we ought to trade our #5 with new england for their number 21 and 32nd over pick. Its possible because they already have a gang of picks in the draft and coach Belicheck should do anything to get his hands on Roy Williams. With the two picks we could get darnell Dockett (DT) (most stops for negative gain this year) and a ben troupe (te), Sean Jones (ss), or Randy starks (dt)

badpigs442
03-31-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by REDWOLF1218
but anyway, i would not take a safety at 5. i'd trade down. here are plenty of guys with heart down further in the draft, guys like kurt guvea, monty coleman, neal olkewiks(?)...

Wemight could trade down and get some good talent/heart, but no one will change the game as much as Taylor.

badpigs442
04-01-2004, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by War Hogg
I think we ought to trade our #5 with new england for their number 21 and 32nd over pick. Its possible because they already have a gang of picks in the draft and coach Belicheck should do anything to get his hands on Roy Williams. With the two picks we could get darnell Dockett (DT) (most stops for negative gain this year) and a ben troupe (te), Sean Jones (ss), or Randy starks (dt)

The only problem I see with that is if the talent we want is gone by then. If that becomes the case we then miss out on selecting prime time talent at our current position. We would also become less popular around the league by giving the champs a supreme talent.

VirginiaRedskin
04-01-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by ConradCountry

4. TE Kellen Winslow, "Soldier" I hate K2, go play OG or DT and then call your self a soldier because you play TE.

Opinions?

To claim that any position on the football field makes one a soldier is to not comprehend what made Winslow's statement so very ridiculous and idiotic. In fact, it is simply nothing than more of the same.

jschlesi
04-01-2004, 08:50 AM
I agree with Warhogg. I just hope the Pats agree and offer it up. They have been considering the Lions pick I think too.
as for getting a DT next year and not being able to get a S like taylor.
I am not sure I entirely agree.
A DT that can stuff the run, take up two lineman, and push the pocket back are one of the hardest things to draft. You can find a guy to do parts of it-- but seldom do you find the whole enchilida.
If we do wait and are respectable this year that guy wont be where we pick in the draft.
With the WR and Qbs stuffing this draft it makes getting a DT in the top 12 more likely.
Trade down grab Wilfork!!
Unless Gallery miracously sits on the board at 5. Then we have our next LACHEY.

ConradCountry
04-02-2004, 08:39 PM
DT that can do that in the last few drafts that are complete and good.

01 Seymour, Stroud, Hampton, Jenkins, Rogers

02 Sims, Henderson, Haymesworth

03 Robertson, Sullivan, Williams

Safties that have been stars

01 None

02 Williams, Reed

03 Doss?
A lot fewer great safeties every year the great DT.
It is a proven fact that the easiest position to draft is d-line very year.

PA Skins Girl
04-02-2004, 09:22 PM
In any draft year, I am happy if we draft either an offensive or defensive lineman in the first round. They are the foundation of the team. And you know what happens if you dont have a foundation. This year, our defensive line is our weakest link. We have to address it in the first round. June 1 guys are usually 30-something guys on the downside of their career. We need to address this issue on day 1 of the draft.

War Hogg
04-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Earlier this off season I was all for drafting Sean Taylor. But the more my common sense kicked in I realized that he alone is not the answer to our problems on defense, and maynot be the most talented in the draft. He will not have the impact of Roy williams if he doesnt have Roy Williams d-line. Ive been saying we should trade our 5th pick with New England since the day after the SuperBowl!
But even if we didnt trade down I believe Kellen Winslow would have a bigger impact than Taylor. Defensive coordinators spend all week scheming on how to stop teams with dominate Tightends (Shockey, T.Gonzalez, S.Sharp). Imagine trying to contain Laverneus Coles, Clinton Portis, And Kellen Winslow all at once! It cant be done! We could be the only team next year to have the best in all 3 catergories!!!

I would love to have Taylor on Madden next year but in REEEEAL football...He is not the answer. Someone please tell me otherwise.

sdredskinsfan
04-06-2004, 03:55 AM
I think Udeze seems to be purely a pass rusher because of his low weight. Washington and Arrington have already been slated to fill that role. Help me out on this one, but I think Wil Smith is slightly heavier, but may not be that much of an improvement over Udeze in the run defense dept. However, if Wil Smith is a solid run defender, then it would make sense to trade down to draft him. Even so, I think that 'skins should acquire Taylor if he is available at #5.

IowaSkinsFan
04-06-2004, 04:46 AM
I think Udeze seems to be purely a pass rusher because of his low weight. Washington and Arrington have already been slated to fill that role. Help me out on this one, but I think Wil Smith is slightly heavier, but may not be that much of an improvement over Udeze in the run defense dept. However, if Wil Smith is a solid run defender, then it would make sense to trade down to draft him. Even so, I think that 'skins should acquire Taylor if he is available at #5.

That's not entirely accurate. If anyone has the ability withstand the rush at the point of attack, it's Udeze. The year prior to last, Udeze was a 350lb DT. He shed 70lbs to play DE this year and with that, discovered his speed. He play in the high 280's-low 290's this past season.

Udeze is the player who presents us with the most options. He would obviously be a candidate to put on bulk to play at whatever weight would seem most effective. Udeze is the clear choice when it comes to him or the Fresh Prince.

sdredskinsfan
04-08-2004, 05:08 AM

Round 6) LB or OL

Tell me more about Tim Anderson. Never heard of him. School? Weight? etc.. Thanks. :Partyred:

J-Rod
04-08-2004, 07:26 AM
Tim Anderson is a solid, although not spectacular, DT that has very good work ethic. I believe he could turn into a fine player in the NFL especially as a DE in a 3-4. In college he was always overshadowed by Will Smith but he played every down and gave 110% (at least that was my take).
P.S. - I actually me the guy one night in Columbus and he seemed real nice and he is a very large human being. :D

J-Rod
04-08-2004, 07:34 AM
Oh yeah,

Tim Anderson DT 6' 3 1/8" 307 Sr. Ohio State
5.02 40-yard dash
1.79 10-yard dash (which is very good)
32 1/2" Verticle
9' 1" long jump
7.35 Cone Drill

Had a very solid workout.

Redskinfan28
04-08-2004, 08:01 AM
Taylor is above and beyond the other safeties in the draft, I think it comes down to a very simple question.

Will there be a Wilfork or Udeze in the draft next year 05?
Yes

Will there be a Sean Taylor in the draft next year 05?
NO

That is a very good post.

bugsy
04-08-2004, 09:05 AM
i agree with skins girl. get will smith. i am fron ohio and i know that he is a beast of a d end. sean taylor would be ok if we don't trade down.

Smith was non-existent when he had to line-up in BIG games (i.e. - Michigan) - Pass

thickskin
04-08-2004, 10:53 AM
we need to leave the 5 alone, for me it's settled--take taylor. if for some reason he's gone, trade down. the thing to be concerned about, especially now that time's running out, is how do we get a second round pick, which we absolutely need. get a 2 rounder!! trotter? gardner? something. if we have to trade down, cool--then we have two 2s. frankly, i can't wait till the draft's over and we can start talking about how brilliant our picks were.

ConradCountry
04-08-2004, 12:58 PM
The Skins are not going to the Superbowl this year! New coach, new players, new system it just won't happen. Now we have an oppurtunity at an elite talent, so why would we throw elite talent out the window to stockpile picks that will give us more mediocre development talent. We can get d-line next year when we pick at 20.

When you have a top 5 pick and you have a shot at elite talent you take it no questions asked.

Sean Taylor will not be in next years draft, d-linemen will be plus our d-line unit is much improved and as a guy who lives near Buffalo Williams does not need a solid d-line to be effective he never had a 10 sack man till Schobel broke out this year. He needs the d-line to be solid against the run and to take up offensive lineman when he blitzes. He needs and elite safety though who will allow him to blitz and unfortunatly Bowen and Iffy can't cover.

IowaSkinsFan
04-09-2004, 02:10 AM
The Skins are not going to the Superbowl this year! New coach, new players, new system it just won't happen. Now we have an oppurtunity at an elite talent, so why would we throw elite talent out the window to stockpile picks that will give us more mediocre development talent. We can get d-line next year when we pick at 20.

When you have a top 5 pick and you have a shot at elite talent you take it no questions asked.

Sean Taylor will not be in next years draft, d-linemen will be plus our d-line unit is much improved and as a guy who lives near Buffalo Williams does not need a solid d-line to be effective he never had a 10 sack man till Schobel broke out this year. He needs the d-line to be solid against the run and to take up offensive lineman when he blitzes. He needs and elite safety though who will allow him to blitz and unfortunatly Bowen and Iffy can't cover.

Tampa Bay and Jon Gruden?

IowaSkinsFan
04-09-2004, 02:11 AM
If we only have 3 picks, this should be our order of importance, IMO.

1. DL
2. DL
3. DL

But that's just me.

ConradCountry
04-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Gruden took Dungy's team to the Superbowl, I don't think that Gibbs is going to take Spurriers team to the superbowl.

hailskins
04-11-2004, 12:23 AM
Our biggest need is to improve the defensive line. But when drafting high, you have to take the best available player. So I would say take Taylor. If you are going to draft for need, then you must trade down so that the best available player is also fulfilling a position of need.

redwolf1218
04-11-2004, 12:30 AM
i see the defensive line is a common concern, but with griffin, daniels, noble, wynn, upshaw, and others... are we really so bad off? how about friedman, dockery, moore, raymer, samuels, fiore on the o-line? i think i am in the minorty here, but nobody seems to be too concerned about that.

sdredskinsfan
04-11-2004, 02:42 AM

I wholeheartedly concur!!!!! Stop the pattern of mediocrity; practice delay of gratification!!!!!! :banger:

Yudolindo
04-11-2004, 03:34 AM
If we stay at five, which we won't, Taylor.
In a trade down, my vote goes to Wilfork.

sdredskinsfan
04-11-2004, 03:38 AM
Hi Yudo. Guess I'm not the only one up this late. I have a good intuition about Wilfork being a good pick too. Probably has something to do with him coming from Miami or somethin.

Yudolindo
04-11-2004, 03:42 AM
Well, he has what I look for in DTs: he is huge, has the muscle to back up the bulk and is quick for his size. I think he will be 7-15 pick. Him being a ‘Cane is just an added perk for me :D

sdredskinsfan
04-11-2004, 03:46 AM
Do you know if he would play inside or the "3" technique?

sdredskinsfan
04-11-2004, 03:52 AM
I'm guessing he can play either with his size and quickness.

badpigs442
04-12-2004, 05:15 PM
I'm guessing he can play either with his size and quickness.

Purely speculation but he might be better served as 3 because he would have to keep his weight down for quickness.