PDA

View Full Version : Sameuls is good!

ConradCountry
04-11-2004, 09:46 AM
I challenge every Sameuls bashing person on this site to go to redskins.com and enter the press box, go to the video archive and look at the game highlights {esp TB}. You will see that a lot of the sacks that you are blaming on Sameuls are not his fault. He is either down blocking or pulling. The people getting beat are TE and RB. So stop blaming them on Sameuls and bashing the guy.

Does he need to restructure? YES, very badly.

We should be thanking Spurrier for having a TE/RB try and block oneof the best pass rushing DE in football. What an idiot.

skinswin
04-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Yes..Samuels is so good that the Redskins are in talks with the Browns about trading him for the # 7 pick in the draft.

This was reported on XTRASPORTS 690/1150 here in Los Angeles.

One or another, it seems the skins are intent on moving Samuels and his stubborn butt. So don't get too attached to him.

Chief Seeway
04-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Personally, I havn't seen any Samuels bashing just many posts that basically refer to his current play which is average should probably match his pay/cap hit which is enormous.

Samuels restructuring his contract will help the team. His cap number this year and next are unacceptable.

RichardBradley
04-11-2004, 10:00 AM
With the defensive lineman this team has trading anyone for anything other than a defensive lineman just dosen't make sense... Gallery is a good player and would save us some money but if we want some good young D-lineman the way to get them is trade down not up and create a new hole.

RichardBradley
04-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Personally, I havn't seen any Samuels bashing just many posts that basically refer to his current play which is average should probably match his pay/cap hit which is enormous.

Samuels restructuring his contract will help the team. His cap number this year and next are unacceptable.

His cap number is high and blame that on the front office not on Chris.

redwolf1218
04-11-2004, 10:07 AM
With the defensive lineman this team has trading anyone for anything other than a defensive lineman just dosen't make sense... Gallery is a good player and would save us some money but if we want some good young D-lineman the way to get them is trade down not up and create a new hole.

i think the trade idea with samuels was for the 7 or 8 spot, which could still be used on defense, or to trade down for more picks (again possibly defense). the other deal for gallery was something about gardner and our 5 to move up a few spots. if we ended up replacing samuels with gallery, and gardner with a defensive tackle, or taylor, or winslow, and our 2nd was in effect portis, our 3rd brunell...it would be an A+ draft IMO.

redwolf1218
04-11-2004, 10:13 AM
i agree we could use some help on the d-line, but i'm pretty with these guys:
renaldo wynn, griffin, noble, daniels, upshaw, germain hailey. it would be icing on the cake to add a top notch young d tackle to put in that rotation.

akhhorus
04-11-2004, 11:00 AM
Every time I was watching a skins game, there was a pre-requisite Chris Samuels looking shaky and giving up a bad sack clip. I would also like to point out that Samuels gave up 3 sacks to Darren Howard, Brandon Winey didnt give a sack to Darren Howard a year later. His play is down, here's some fat to chew over:

From Dr. Z:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/dr_z/09/12/mailbag/index.html
" LT Chris Samuels is a quick-foot type who can dance with the fast guys, although power rushers have given him trouble. I've been hearing about his brilliance ever since he came into the league, but I've never seen it. Maybe I'm missing something. I've seen too many people have big days off him, and I've always heard the excuse that he was suffering from some kind of injury. Against the Jets there were no excuses. He flat out got killed. "

From the Recap of the Patriot's last loss:
"The Redskins led 20-3 in the third quarter before two touchdown passes by Brady put the Patriots within three points with 2:10 to play. The Redskins then mismanaged the clock, throwing two incomplete passes and committing three false-start penalties -- including two by Pro Bowl tackle Chris Samuels "

From Profootball weekly:
"The fact that Redskins OT Chris Samuels was named a third alternate for the Pro Bowl shows just how far he has fallen this season"

Jon Creveling
04-11-2004, 11:27 AM
AKH. good post! Again guys REAL over IMAGINED!!!!

ConradCountry
04-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Does anyone think that Whiney can step in and play LT because if he can't then we screw are selves.

I am just saying that I don't want to get rid of the guy yet we haven't seen waht he can do in a real NFL offense. He might quickly regain pro bowl form. We can trade him/deal with it next year.

akhhorus
04-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Does anyone think that Whiney can step in and play LT because if he can't then we screw are selves.

I am just saying that I don't want to get rid of the guy yet we haven't seen waht he can do in a real NFL offense. He might quickly regain pro bowl form. We can trade him/deal with it next year.

I think he can: he shut down two good DEs(Jason Taylor and Darren Howard), has a good football body(6-7 331) and looks fluid at LT. Another option is to bring back Alex Sulfsted, who filled in in 2002(when Samuels was injured again).

and Grammar, people: Im getting rather sick of poor writing skills, so I'm calling people out now.

WinslowRedskin
04-11-2004, 11:53 AM
If we can stay at 5 and get #7 for Samuels, I'm thinking Taylor+Harris. OR trade down #7 and pick up a 3rd rounder, unless it's to like GB or something for a 2nd rounder.

WinslowRedskin
04-11-2004, 11:55 AM
I think he can: he shut down two good DEs(Jason Taylor and Darren Howard), has a good body(6-7 331) and looks fluid at LT. Or bring back ALex Sulfstead, who filled in in 2002(when Samuels was injured again)

That's true. Who was it that gave up the sack that gave Ramsey the concussion? I know it wasn't Winey. I'm thinking Chamberlain or Flemister...anyway I like Winey and I think he's got starting potential.

Emmanouel8
04-11-2004, 12:06 PM
If we do get the #5 and #7 and go defense we should get Wilfork and Udeze. I guarantee if we have 2 picks in the 1st one will go for offense and the other defense.

akhhorus
04-11-2004, 12:11 PM
That's true. Who was it that gave up the sack that gave Ramsey the concussion? I know it wasn't Winey. I'm thinking Chamberlain or Flemister...anyway I like Winey and I think he's got starting potential.

I believe it was Taylor, so odds are it was either Samuels or Flemister. Just to be sure, let's blame Samuels :goofy:

akhhorus
04-11-2004, 12:12 PM
If we do get the #5 and #7 and go defense we should get Wilfork and Udeze. I guarantee if we have 2 picks in the 1st one will go for offense and the other defense.

That would be a great idea, to rebuilt the D-line:
Daniels-Griffin-Wilfolk-Udeze
Scary! Maybe they could trade Wynn for a a 12pack of donuts or something, or he could join the Trung Canidate Ritual Sacrifice list.....

However, I believe that if the Skins acquire the 7th pick, They'll either take Taylor and the best available D-lineman or trade one of the picks down for even more picks.

Jon Creveling
04-11-2004, 12:21 PM
I like Winey alot and would like to see him get a legit shot at the job. But we don't know enough about him if he is rugged enough to count on game in, game out? Seemed like a very smart player, no short attention span false starts! Stayed with his man and often knocked players on their asses! Did anyone else notice that he and Derwreck worked very well together? I doubt Alex comes back, did any other team pick him up last year? Don't we also have a guy Darrel Terrell? Not sure of his name but wasn't he projected to start for the Pats before he threw soup on a trainer? Sounds like a freak, but maybe a talented freak? Bugel will make the call no matter what so please no one get offended ! Gallery does sound like a BEAR in most of the stuff I read. THE BRANDON WINEY CULT LIVES!!!

fent
04-11-2004, 12:23 PM
here's an interesting thought to all of this that perhaps we haven't considered...about a month ago buges mentioned something to the effect that Jansen knows he's going to have to step it up to be the blind side tackle...with winey as a capable replacement on the blind-side, how much easier would it be for him with the southpaw brunell starting and no longer dealing with the blindside pressure? If that's the case then perhaps losing samuel's for another first rounder's not so bad after all.

:whoknows:

badpigs442
04-11-2004, 02:53 PM
" LT Chris Samuels is a quick-foot type who can dance with the fast guys, although power rushers have given him trouble. I've been hearing about his brilliance ever since he came into the league, but I've never seen it. Maybe I'm missing something. I've seen too many people have big days off him, and I've always heard the excuse that he was suffering from some kind of injury. Against the Jets there were no excuses. He flat out got killed. "

Samuels is a LEFT tackle with above average strength. He is fast on his feet which is stated well. He played poorly at time last year because he wasn't thinking. He had like 10 penalties before the snap even happened. Samuels is good. He could be over powered, but guys like Strahan play the other side.

akhhorus
04-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Samuels is a LEFT tackle with above average strength. He is fast on his feet which is stated well. He played poorly at time last year because he wasn't thinking. He had like 10 penalties before the snap even happened. Samuels is good. He could be over powered, but guys like Strahan play the other side.

That was Dr. Z, and he says that he is a Left Tackle. He is strong, b ut he doesnt seem to have good balance, power rusher like Darren Howard and Rice are able to get him flat flooted and push him around or go around him.

badpigs442
04-11-2004, 04:29 PM
I agree Rice can push him around. HE can still work his feet better to not get put in comprimising positions against pass rushers. At LT he has got to be a guy who can pick up an olb in a crunch.

colkurtz
04-12-2004, 01:03 AM
No one is bashing Samuels. He simply is not playing at a $8 mill level nor will he re-structure. To my mind, not re-structuring means he's getting his money this year, knowing the 'skins can't possibly afford him next year (he'll be somewhere else). He doesn't want to stay a Redskin.

Players who don't play up to their salary level or won't re-structure will be traded or dropped. It's a message to other players and their agents.

Personally I'd take a trade to get rid of Samuels for a Harris or Udeze..................

Hogskin
04-12-2004, 09:32 AM
No bashing here - just realism. Anyone who has watched every Redskin game the past 4 years has to admit that Samuels and Bailey each had their weakest season last year. I'm sure Joe Gibbs saw the same films I did, and saw too many plays when Chris Samuels was chasing HIS man from behind toward the QB. Yes, Samuels was still a good tackle. Maybe last season was an aberration for both of these guys. But maybe not. It is interesting that in each case, in order to keep them, the Redskins would have to absorb horrible cap hits. If Samuels departs, it will be obvious from the combination of the 2 player moves that Gibbs is not willing to pay the price of a risky gamble for a player who is not willing to "work with" the team to resolve a cap problem. How could this be surprising to anyone?

PennSkinsFan
04-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Let's not forget Winey played three games? Is he durable for a 17 week season? Can we really expect a high level of play over 17 weeks? Seems odd to me that we woudl spent millions on bringing in one fo the top RBs in the NFL, and we are willing to trust a relatively untested youngster with the task of openign holes for Portis?

colkurtz
04-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Will there be OL FA available (for depth) on June 1? One of the possibilities for the Oakland talks is that we are interesed in a OT they may release if the Raiders actually pick Gallery. Can't remember his name but he's 29 and only would be a couple season transition player.

Of course if they really do get Gallery, that problem is solved...........

redwolf1218
04-12-2004, 09:49 AM
I remember seeing boselli in his prime pointing out defensive shifts before the snap, barking out orders along the line, then mauling people with perfect form. so much more than just one guy on the line, he was a leader. so were jachoby and lachey. i was hoping samuels would be the next... some people blamed samuels' false starts on audibles, but a leader sees what the QB sees, recognizes the need for audibles and adjustments before they happen, thus he is ready for the audible, instead of thinking the next sound is going to be "hike" and jumping offsides, he is telling the others on the line what to do. i dont see that leadership from samuels, but i think i would see if from gallery.

colkurtz
04-12-2004, 02:23 PM
You're right Redwolf. For $8 mill you need to see a OT stonewall, an team leader and the heart & soul of an offensive line. Do we have any of those?

As with Bailey, this comes down to deciding what players we can afford and getting value for someone while they can still be traded. Although I do not see us getting Gallery, anything is possible. I see Chris Samuels being traded to a team in the [first round -2004] #7-15 range. This can get you a DL premium draft pick and Winslow or Taylor. I think Winslow loses out due to the Postons................