PDA

View Full Version : Ogunleye

SkinsKY
04-21-2004, 07:46 AM
I know there's been a thread on this before, but it has since slipped so I thought I would rehash it (despite my fears of having to spell Ogunleye repeatedly). I first read this in PFT (so bear with me):

BEARS LOOKING TO DROP, GRAB OGUNLEYE?

A league source tells us that the Chicago Bears might attempt to trade down from the No. 14 spot in the first round of the draft as a precursor to a trade with the Dolphins for defensive end Adewale Ogunleye.

The Bears would send the lower first-round pick to the Fins, and the Bears would pocket the extra pick or two they get for trading down.

As of April 16, Ogunleye's rights reverted exclusively to the Dolphins for 2004. If/when Ogunleye signs his one-year tender, he'll receive $1.823 million in salary for 2004. But the Dolphins are still willing to move Ogunleye, who's unhappy with the lack of a long-term deal, and who could ultimately refuse to sign the tender and hold out through week ten, if not longer.

Complicating matters for the Dolphins is the addition by the Patriots on Monday of running back Corey Dillon. With the best team in the AFC East, if not the entire league, getting stronger in one fell swoop, there will be even more pressure on the Dolphins, Jets, and Bills to keep pace. Though making a deal for Ogunleye will give the Dolphins a player or two who can make them better down the road (at which time Ogunleye would be long gone anyway), the absence of Ogunleye will only make the gap between the Fins and the Pats wider in 2004.

With the distinct possiblity (that I think might even fall under the probable category) Ogunleye will not sign the tender and the Dolphins do need to make improvements, they may lower their asking price if they can't reach some sort of a deal.

Say we trade down with the Texans (so they can take Taylor before the Lions) as the rumors seem to indicate their interest in the safety. We pick up a second, and the 10th pick. Could we trade that first for Ogunleye? Or maybe the 10th and a 2005 conditional? The 10th and Gardner?

Perhaps the bigger question is what would Ogunleye ask in terms of salary? Numbers have been strangely absent, which means he may be asking for Ft. Knox. What kind of numbers would you expect to see and would it be worth it?

If it were to work, we'd give a first or so for Ogunleye and gain a second to take Ben Watson, or the best player available.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Checks made out to me?

GolfFreak
04-21-2004, 07:55 AM
Interesting, but if the Bears are trading down the 14th pick why would we offer the 10th pick. I'd say trade down w/ a team like New England and get both their #1s and at least 1 of their #2's since they want Taylor too. Then I wouldn't mind using one of those #1s on him. This way we can still add some young talent w/ the other two picks.

As far as his contract numbers - who knows. I think he's been asking for a double-digit signing bonus. Can we afford a Kearse type deal for him? I doubt it.

SkinsKY
04-21-2004, 08:13 AM
I just used the 10th pick because I've heard the Texans were interested in Taylor. I could care less what pick it was, so I just picked a deal that seemed possible.

Spence
04-21-2004, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't trade a top ten pick for Ogunleye, but I'd be interested in acquiring him. He's a talented speed rusher. We need someone to rush the quarterback so much it hurts my head just to think about it. And I can't stop thinking about it!

redwolf1218
04-21-2004, 08:34 AM
Ogunleye is going to want kearse money, just like ty law wants champ bailey money. the bar has been set by those deals. funny how pastabelli likes to talk about snyder "overpaying" but not philly or denver.

REDMAN
04-21-2004, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't trade a top ten pick for Ogunleye, but I'd be interested in acquiring him. He's a talented speed rusher. We need someone to rush the quarterback so much it hurts my head just to think about it. And I can't stop thinking about it!

Man, that's just how I feel.

SkinsKY
04-21-2004, 08:45 AM

Yes, which is why I would be willing to possibly trade the 10 pick for him. If I thought it would take less, I would trade down again or do something else, but we need to a way to get to the QB without always having to send a linebacker or safety.

BandWagon
04-21-2004, 08:57 AM
Ogunleye is going to want kearse money, just like ty law wants champ bailey money. the bar has been set by those deals. funny how pastabelli likes to talk about snyder "overpaying" but not philly or denver.

OK so what exactly is Pastabelli's claim to fame? I'd love to know the history behind the ego!

redwolf1218
04-21-2004, 09:16 AM
OK so what exactly is Pastabelli's claim to fame? I'd love to know the history behind the ego!
good question. i dont know how he started out, if we was in sports, or just in journalism, or what.

IowaSkinsFan
04-21-2004, 09:45 AM
If we use our #5 pick, then we will be out of the running for AO this year. The only way to get him would be to trade down and pocket some extra picks that could be used to package to the Phins.

SkinsKY
04-21-2004, 09:58 AM
If we use our #5 pick, then we will be out of the running for AO this year. The only way to get him would be to trade down and pocket some extra picks that could be used to package to the Phins.

Right, that's exactly what I would want to do. Trade down a couple of times, trade the lower first and Gardner. The only question for me here is dollars.

GoDannyBoy
04-21-2004, 10:18 AM
We don't need another superstar to take care of. Let draft somebody and rely on defensive scheme to get a rush.

IowaSkinsFan
04-21-2004, 10:24 AM
We don't need another superstar to take care of. Let draft somebody and rely on defensive scheme to get a rush.

Have you been reading the K2 threads?

Skins57
04-21-2004, 10:24 AM
I say trade down (perferably with NE)and trade one of those picks away. and still get some decent young players

IowaSkinsFan
04-21-2004, 10:32 AM

Philly definately overpaid for Kearse, but the reason Philly didn't get chastised for it like we do is that it was their only indulgence in the past 3 seasons. They used to let players go rather than give in to their demands and then when the lost the big game, they were left wondering if they should have spent more money.

This year, they really had no choice but to get the best pass rusher they could get. They knew their CB best days were behind them and they would no longer be able to cover like they used to, as a team, so they needed to be able to put pressure on the QB. So, they went out and paid for the best they could get. As much as I hate the Iggles, hard to fault them for their logic. They are hoping the fourth time is a charm.

Skins57
04-21-2004, 10:35 AM
I have very big doubts there will be a fourth time for them. I think Owens is overrated and Jevon will hurt him self and they will have 2 very young starting corners

SkinsKY
04-21-2004, 10:36 AM

By drafting KWII or Taylor, you're essentially drafting a superstar that has to be taken care of, so I don't see your point.

IowaSkinsFan
04-21-2004, 10:50 AM
I have very big doubts there will be a fourth time for them. I think Owens is overrated and Jevon will hurt him self and they will have 2 very young starting corners

And they most likely won't have homefield advantage again. They shouldn't get 5-6 pushover wins from the NFC East. The Cowboys figure to be better in their second year under Parcells, unfortunately. The Giants really can't get any worse. And we all know what a difference Joe Gibbs should make over Steve Spurrier. Just being prepared to play should be an extra 2 wins off the top.

Philly is in for a rude awakening.

GoDannyBoy
04-21-2004, 11:21 AM
By drafting KWII or Taylor, you're essentially drafting a superstar that has to be taken care of, so I don't see your point.

I do like Taylor, but I meant trading down for cheaper talent.

smoak
04-21-2004, 11:29 AM
the big O is not the answer to our prayers at DE. as someone mentioned, he is trying to cash in on ONE good season. and during that season, he played opposite of jason taylor. i just do not see ogunleye as a proven talent. i would rather have the pick(s) and money it would take to get him.

garedskin
04-21-2004, 11:40 AM
I dont think this guy is worth a top 5 pick. I would give a 3rd RD pick at best. I know we dont have it so what does that tell you? :havefun:

SkinsKY
04-21-2004, 12:57 PM
the big O is not the answer to our prayers at DE. as someone mentioned, he is trying to cash in on ONE good season. and during that season, he played opposite of jason taylor. i just do not see ogunleye as a proven talent. i would rather have the pick(s) and money it would take to get him.

Maybe so, but he would immediately become our best lineman. If we were gonna use a pick on Defensive line, might as well go with him, and as I posted above, it does depend on dollars. He may demand Kearse money, but I don't think anybody will pay that for him, so he' gonna have to come down or not play anywhere.

badpigs442
04-21-2004, 03:13 PM
Ogunleye. This guy should be a movie star. It sounds to me like Goldeneye. Could this guy be the next James Bond? Maybe we could get him some weapons, then he could Really rush the passer. That would be like that scene from "The Last Boy Scout".

hockeygoalie29
04-21-2004, 03:19 PM
My guess is that every front office realizes that he is worth no where near what Kearse recieved and have no intention of giving it to him, including Miami. I think the longer he holds out for more money the more his asking price will drop. If and when that price is reasonable, I'd say pick his a$$ up!

BandWagon
04-21-2004, 07:38 PM

Amen, you're preaching to the choir...they're done! D O N E done.

redwolf1218
04-21-2004, 08:21 PM
and the eagles lost thrash! but seriously, they lost a starting linebacker and guard, and i agree kearse will get hurt, because he's a tweener and everyone will just run at him. by the way, how come pastabelly doesnt rake them over the coals for "over-spending"?

ConradCountry
04-21-2004, 09:03 PM
Fatserrelli is anti skin bottom line he sin't even objective anymore calling the skins liars. The biggest liars in football are the Chargers not only have they been lying to themselves by thinking next year is the big year but they have been lying about every pick.

Gibss+Snyder=SB
04-21-2004, 09:45 PM
I don't know why yall are even thinking this. Just because there is an available pass rusher out there doesn't mean we will pick him up. We mmost likely won't pick up anything untill june 1st. Ogunleyee is outta the question. I'll make my prediction now. If he doesn't stay with the Phins he will go to the Bengals for this years 2nd and next years 2nd.

SkinsKY
04-22-2004, 12:02 AM
I don't know why yall are even thinking this. Just because there is an available pass rusher out there doesn't mean we will pick him up. We mmost likely won't pick up anything untill june 1st. Ogunleyee is outta the question. I'll make my prediction now. If he doesn't stay with the Phins he will go to the Bengals for this years 2nd and next years 2nd.

I don't think we should go after him because he's available. I suggested it as a possibility. Why wouldn't we at least think it? Our Line couldn't get pressure in the AARPFL, so it makes sense to be at least somewhat interested in the situation. Although highly unlikely, I don't think Ogunleye is out of the question.

badpigs442
04-22-2004, 12:10 AM
I don't think we should go after him because he's available. I suggested it as a possibility. Why wouldn't we at least think it? Our Line couldn't get pressure in the AARPFL, so it makes sense to be at least somewhat interested in the situation. Although highly unlikely, I don't think Ogunleye is out of the question.

Ogunleye would probably do for us what people want Udaisy and Will Smurph to do. Definately an upgrade of Upshaw, but I see no way we afford this guy.

JoeJacksonTaylor28
04-22-2004, 12:14 AM
I do think Ogunleye is a good option. The problem with him would be 1) what we would have to give to get him... A LOT, and 2) His salary will be sky-high. I really like the guy, but If he's going to cost so much, then no, thanks.