PDA

View Full Version : Why Gibbs?

BigCountry
04-25-2004, 03:41 AM
This is obviously a Gibbs pick (H-back) who will probably be a solid contributer, but what we gave up for a player with second day talent, with some defensive lineman that had arguable 2nd round talent on board is not too bright at all. We could have had Sopoaga/Askew/Phillips AND Chris Cooley.

truant
04-25-2004, 03:57 AM
All valid points.

They had to fear that Cooley would not be around later and they really had him in mind for the HB position. Hopefully they can make a move for one of these quality defensive lineman left.

I assume that they only had two or three prospects to play HB (Winslow, Cooley, ?) and they have more prospects at DE/DT that they think they can get later...??

I'll be watching intently on what they can do, but I was frustrated just like you until I realized that Gibbs let Williams have Taylor so at least Gibbs got a guy he obviously felt he needed.

IowaSkinsFan
04-25-2004, 04:01 AM
We all love to sit here and think we know as much as the talent evaluators but the fact is that we don't sit and watch 5 hours of film on each prospect, with 15 good plays and 15 not so good plays. We didn't interview any of them and don't know what they saw. We also do not know where Cooley was rated on our teams board. But this scenario is a lot better than missing out on Sean Taylor and taking Winslow at #5. IMO, there was no safety that was comparable to Sean Taylor in this draft, not even close, that would have warranted us trading up in the third round to take, that could have made the impact we are hoping Taylor does. This setup makes much more sense than taking Winslow and looking to see who was left amongst the safties.

Skinzaholic
04-25-2004, 07:22 AM
It will be interesting to see how this guy pans out seeing as Gibbs wanted him so badly.

CarMike
04-25-2004, 07:32 AM
We all love to sit here and think we know as much as the talent evaluators but the fact is that we don't sit and watch 5 hours of film on each prospect, with 15 good plays and 15 not so good plays. We didn't interview any of them and don't know what they saw. We also do not know where Cooley was rated on our teams board. But this scenario is a lot better than missing out on Sean Taylor and taking Winslow at #5. IMO, there was no safety that was comparable to Sean Taylor in this draft, not even close, that would have warranted us trading up in the third round to take, that could have made the impact we are hoping Taylor does. This setup makes much more sense than taking Winslow and looking to see who was left amongst the safties.

Exactly what I was thinking....

VirginiaRedskin
04-25-2004, 07:33 AM
It will be interesting to see how this guy pans out seeing as Gibbs wanted him so badly.

Gibbs knows a lot more about football than perhaps anybody in the modern era and him coming back was the most exciting Redskin news I had ever heard. However, I have not been very happy with some of the off-season moves, including the draft. Portis was a great pick up of course, but I thought we should have held on for a straight up trade rather than including our 2nd round pick. I am of the belief that you build from the draft and we will have to see where our off-season free agency shopping spree makes us before the cap hits us in the mouth.

PA Skins Girl
04-25-2004, 07:33 AM
It will be interesting to see how this guy pans out seeing as Gibbs wanted him so badly.Me too. I'm excited about this guy. Who knows, the Skins could have had rated 2nd on their depth chart for H-backs. Wouldn't it be funny if he had more of an impact than Winslow this year?

flave1969
04-25-2004, 07:43 AM
Gibbs has already said that they made plenty of attempts to draft earlier on in the second round but the deals did not come of. It seems New Orleans were the first to bite on a deal. Gibbs obviously felt this was less of a gamble than going for a DE like Sopoaga.

redwolf1218
04-25-2004, 07:45 AM
the guy sure did ring up some impressive numbers, and maybe he he was one of the only guys among the tightends who actually knew the hback position and had experience in that role.

TwistyNiblet
04-25-2004, 07:54 AM
I don't really agree with throwing away the number 2 next year, because that's exactly what I hated about us doing this year, getting rid of picks. However, if Gibbs wants this Cooley fellow that bad, I think we should trust that he is making the right decision.

chrisbcbu
04-25-2004, 08:14 AM
I agree with the move, Gibbs did state he wanted to move his 2nd round pick for next year for this year he just didnt get any hits. This was the first chance he had to make a trade. And he probably wanted Cooley in the second round, looking at his stats i cant really blame Gibbs.

I just hope we can upgrade our line on June 1st, or maybe sign some undrafted rookies that could step up!

TexSkin
04-25-2004, 09:00 AM
Man Gibbs put himself out there gettign this guy..lets hope he pans out.

RedskinsDave
04-25-2004, 09:07 AM
Next year's second round pick was too much for this guy, plain and simple.

Odyn
04-25-2004, 09:17 AM
We will see....I hope that some of you eat your words on this one when the season starts....

RichardBradley
04-25-2004, 09:19 AM
We will see....I hope that some of you eat your words on this one when the season starts....

When we are giving up 200 yards a game rushing and no pass rush again....

PA Skins Girl
04-25-2004, 09:23 AM
Next year's second round pick was too much for this guy, plain and simple.If he ends up being our starting H-back, I dont think it is too much. We needed an H-back. I dont know about you, but Sellers and Ware dont exactly excite me. Koz could be good, but will probably back up the starter and be a special teams guy. We got our H-back, didnt have to pass on Taylor, and didnt have to trade Ramsey, Gardner or Samuels. Look at Philly, they gave up their second rounder this year to move up in the first round and take an O-lineman that balloned up to over 400 pounds last year! Cleveland gave up their second rounder to move up 1 spot in the first round. Next year is a long way away. Who knows how many picks we will end up with.

redwolf1218
04-25-2004, 09:27 AM
good points all, and that guy the eagles got looked like a fat tub of goo on his highlights. the giants also gave up a lot to get manning. the alternative to taking taylor and then making a move for cooley would have been to take winslow and then make a move for some other safety. i think it worked out perfect.

RichardBradley
04-25-2004, 09:29 AM
I think Cooley will probably be a good player but why can't we ever pick a DT?or DE.... What is it that we have against getting young players on the DL

Axegrinder
04-25-2004, 10:05 AM
I think Cooley will probably be a good player but why can't we ever pick a DT?or DE.... What is it that we have against getting young players on the DL
It's a weak draft at those positions this year.

BigCountry
04-25-2004, 10:14 AM
Isaac Sopoaga and Mathias Askew would have presented rediculously better value with that pick. Shaun Phillips will be a very good situational pass rusher at worst.

sydsho
04-25-2004, 10:26 AM
This from Gil Brandt:

"Before the draft, I ranked the top 100 players in the draft. These were the players who I thought were at the top of the class. Now obviously, some of them were "gimmes" (Eli Manning, for example), and others were not so easy but we did have them (Matt Schaub and Chris Cooley are two of them)."

BigCountry
04-25-2004, 10:31 AM
I'm not dissagreeing he'll be a good player, and I agree that if Gibbs saw something in him odds are he'll be a very good player. Hell I'm expecting a number of TD catches for him in his rookie year, but H-back/Tight End is something you should address later, when your defensive line looks bad, and 2 potential future startes are on the board.

BandWagon
04-25-2004, 11:23 AM

Ditto!

The guy was reviewed, interviewed, came to Redskins park...clearly there's something about the guy. Will anyone be complaining if at some point an announcer says "it's getting to be Cooley time!"? Maybe our second round pick will be the 63rd next year.... :)

BTW watching the 87 bears skins playoff game right now and Gibbs is running a LOT of 3 TE packages. I bet we'll all be wearing Cooley jerseys before we know it...

BandWagon
04-25-2004, 11:25 AM

Maybe the coaches don't think we need one. Gibbs answered that very question yesterday at FedEx and said the coaches feel like the guys we've got can get to the QB. Let's just relax and I think we may be pleasantly surprised....

badpigs442
04-25-2004, 02:26 PM
This is obviously a Gibbs pick (H-back) who will probably be a solid contributer, but what we gave up for a player with second day talent, with some defensive lineman that had arguable 2nd round talent on board is not too bright at all. We could have had Sopoaga/Askew/Phillips AND Chris Cooley.

Talent and getting production out of that talent are two different things. Who would help that very talented kid from our line mature into a player? The players on our line will have their hands full maturing onto our team in their own right.

smoak
04-25-2004, 02:28 PM

cooley would not have been there in later rounds... trust in our leadership.