PDA

View Full Version : The Best Actor

IndianBaller27
06-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Who do you think is the best actor/actress right now? Not the hottest one, but the best actor. Like the ones that can seriously act. For me it would be Tom Hanks. What about y'all?

TexSkin
06-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Ian Mckellen is the best actor out there for me...he nailed Magneto and Gandalf perfectly.

akhhorus
06-02-2004, 04:27 PM
You have to do it by generation. For this generation, purely as an actor: Jack Nicholson. Not even close. Hanks has won a couple oscars, but Jack's been nominated for TWELVE oscars. Peter O'Toole or Marlon Brando are the greatest of the movie era.

IndianBaller27
06-02-2004, 04:31 PM
You have to do it by generation. For this generation, purely as an actor: Jack Nicholson. Not even close. Hanks has won a couple oscars, but Jack's been nominated for TWELVE oscars. Peter O'Toole or Marlon Brando are the greatest of the movie era.
yeah jack nicholson is pretty good but i still like tom hanks

dj_stouty
06-02-2004, 05:19 PM
I think Edward Norton is a top-notch actor who will only get better and better.

He gets my vote for best actor under 40.

LATrueRedskin
06-02-2004, 05:32 PM
Gotta go with Hanks too. The guy can play any role and Road to Perdition is my favorite movie. I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it.

akhhorus
06-02-2004, 05:46 PM
yeah jack nicholson is pretty good but i still like tom hanks

got two words for the Hanks supporters:
"Bachelor Party"
two more:
"Bosom Buddies"
three more:
"Mazes and monsters"

RedskinsVision
06-02-2004, 06:05 PM
Al Pacino

Godfather trilogy, Scarface, Scent of a Woman, Donnie Brasco, Glengary Glen Ross, Insider, Any Given Sunday, Heat, Carlito's Way, etc. etc.

akhhorus
06-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Al Pacino

Godfather trilogy, Scarface, Scent of a Woman, Donnie Brasco, Glengary Glen Ross, Insider, Any Given Sunday, Heat, Carlito's Way, etc. etc.

good idea, giving a filmography:

Jack Nicholson:
Easy Rider, On a Clear Day You Can See Forever, King of Marvin Gardens, Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Five Easy Pieces, The Shining, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Reds, Terms of Endearment, Prizzi's Honor, Ironweed, Batman, Few Good Men, The Crossing Guard, Blood & Wine and The Pledge.

tommahawk
06-02-2004, 06:17 PM
sean connery- Bond... James Bond

Axegrinder
06-02-2004, 07:47 PM
Robert Deniro
Taxi Driver Bang The Drum Slowly
Wag The Dog The Fan
Analyze This The Godfather
Cape Fear DearHunter
Raging Bull Awakenings
Good Fellas Meet The Parents
The King Of Comedy BackDraft

LATrueRedskin
06-02-2004, 08:16 PM
Hey Bosom Buddies was great :lol1:

Booser
06-02-2004, 09:03 PM
i would have said deniro if he hadn't sold out on "analyze that". i like ed norton a lot - he alwas rocks.

SkinsCT
06-02-2004, 09:17 PM
For those who don't think it's Jack, watch two movies - Chinatown and The Shining. Two of the all-time great performances in movie history.

akhhorus
06-02-2004, 09:17 PM
i would have said deniro if he hadn't sold out on "analyze that". i like ed norton a lot - he alwas rocks.

and "Mad Dog and Glory", "The Fan", "Great Expectations", "Jackie Brown". :cry:

akhhorus
06-02-2004, 09:18 PM
For those who don't think it's Jack, watch two movies - Chinatown and The Shining. Two of the all-time great performances in movie history.

I would switch The Shining with "Five Easy Pieces" personally...

SkinsCT
06-02-2004, 09:24 PM
I would switch The Shining with "Five Easy Pieces" personally...

His complete disintegration in Shining is absolutely incredible to watch. Can't beat the chicken salad scene in "Pieces" though, good stuff.

WackyJacky
06-02-2004, 09:42 PM
In the current crop of actors, I really, really, really like Tom Hanks. (And before you bring up The 'Burbs, I have no doubt even Nicholson has a stinkbomb or two on his resume he'd rather not talk about...Mars Attacks, anybody?) I also think Kevin Spacey is a great actor, although he's made a few questionable choices recently (Pay It Forward -- bleah).

Actress: I've always liked Susan Sarandon and Shirley MacLaine.

As for the oldies, I'm a big fan of Bogart (Casablanca is my all-time favorite movie), Cary Grant, Edward G. Robinson, James Cagney, Katherine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn.

akhhorus
06-02-2004, 09:46 PM
As for the oldies, I'm a big fan of Bogart (Casablanca is my all-time favorite movie), Cary Grant, Edward G. Robinson, James Cagney, Katherine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn.

Katherine Hepburn is argueably the greatest actress ever. Bogart was great, but died before he could do more movies. Still have to go with Peter O'Toole or Brando as the greatest ever(of the movie era). If you consider stage acting in the time of honest critics, it would be Orson Welles or Edwin Booth(John Wilkes' older brother).

AGibbsGirl
06-03-2004, 07:50 AM
OK Mery Streep who has had more nominations then anyone else, doesn't even get a mention?...How could anyone forget the scene when she has to choose between her children in "Sophie's Choice"?

I love Michael Cane

...but my favorite all time Actor in a particular movie is: Gregory Peck in "To Kill A Mockingbird"

TexSkin
06-03-2004, 08:11 AM
I actually am not a big fan of Jack N. I dont know why but he gets on my nerves.

akhhorus
06-03-2004, 08:30 AM
OK Mery Streep who has had more nominations then anyone else, doesn't even get a mention?...How could anyone forget the scene when she has to choose between her children in "Sophie's Choice"?

Streep is the best modern actress, but I would still take Katherine Hepburn. Streep has one more nomination than Hepburn, but Hepburn has four oscars.

frenchskinsfan
06-03-2004, 09:22 AM
The question is "right now"

So IMO Tom hanks is the best actor right now, and Susan sarandon the best actress right now.

Now talking about all times, I choose Buster Keaton as the best actor, and Louise Brooks as the best actress.

oldies but besties

SkinsGuru
06-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Robin Williams -

The Brothers Grimm (MGM/Dimension) (2004) Cavaldi
One Hour Photo (2002) Seymour 'Sy' Parrish
Insomnia (Warner Bros) (2002) Walter Finch
Death to Smoochy (2002) 'Rainbow' Randolph Smiley
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) of Dr Know
Bicentennial Man (1999) Andrew Martin
Jakob the Liar (1999) Jakob Heym
Get Bruce (1999) Himself
Patch Adams (1998) Patch Adams
Home Fries (1998)
Home Fries (1998) Actor
What Dreams May Come (1998) Chris Nielsen
Deconstructing Harry (1997) Mel
Good Will Hunting (1997) Sean McGuire
Flubber (1997) Professor Phillip Brainard
Fathers' Day (1997) Dale Putley
Hamlet (1996) Osric
The Secret Agent (1996) The Professor
Jack (1996) Jack Powell
The Birdcage (1996) Armand Goldman
Jumanji (1995) Alan Parrish
To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar (1995) (uncredited) John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith
Nine Months (1995) Dr Kosevitch
Being Human (1994) Hector
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) Daniel Hillard
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) Mrs Iphegenia Doubtfire
Toys (1992) Leslie Zevo
Aladdin (1992) of Genie
Ferngully: the Last Rainforest (1992) of Batty Koda
Shakes the Clown (1992) Jerry the Mime
Hook (1991) Peter Banning/Peter Pan
The Fisher King (1991) Parry
Dead Again (1991) Doctor Cozy Carlisle
Awakenings (1990) Doctor Malcolm Sayer
Cadillac Man (1990) Joey O'Brien
Dead Poets Society (1989) John Keating
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1989) King of the Moon
Dear America: Letters Homes From Vietnam (1988) Narrator
Good Morning, Vietnam (1987) Adrian Cronauer
Club Paradise (1986) Jack Moniker
The Best of Times (1986) Jack Dundee
Moscow on the Hudson (1984) Vladimir Ivanoff
Aladdin and the King of Thieves of Genie
Can I Do It... Till I Need Glasses? Actor
Popeye Popeye
The World According to Garp T S Garp
The Survivors Donald Quinelle
House of D

His versatility is incredible and MOST of his films were awesome (yes even the children movies were ok . . . at least for kids)

SkinsGuru
06-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Robin Williams is also one of the best comedians there has ever been. He deserves more credit.

Booser
06-03-2004, 11:39 AM
how about christopher walken? he certainly has to be the "greatest recurring guest host of saturday night live" doesn't he?

AGibbsGirl
06-03-2004, 12:55 PM
Streep is the best modern actress, but I would still take Katherine Hepburn. Streep has one more nomination than Hepburn, but Hepburn has four oscars.
IMO Hepburn was one-dimensional; I think she played the same rolls over and over...(sorry!)

Minnesota Mike
06-03-2004, 01:00 PM
got two words for the Hanks supporters:
"Bachelor Party"
two more:
"Bosom Buddies"
three more:
"Mazes and monsters"

Joe vs. The Volcano

akhhorus
06-03-2004, 01:01 PM
IMO Hepburn was one-dimensional; I think she played the same rolls over and over...(sorry!)

Blasphemy! Towards the end of her career, I would agree with you, but check out her early movies. Check out "morning glory", "Alice adams" and Philadelphia Story". For "Lion in the Winter" she automatically wins in my book.

AGibbsGirl
06-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Blasphemy! Towards the end of her career, I would agree with you, but check out her early movies. Check out "morning glory", "Alice adams" and Philadelphia Story". For "Lion in the Winter" she automatically wins in my book.

I dunno...In them does she play a gutsy, fast talking, equal rights for women, chain-smoking, roll where she ends up with the man, the job and new pants...?

Minnesota Mike
06-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Still have to go with Peter O'Toole or Brando as the greatest ever(of the movie era).

I would add Richard Harris in this category. I think he was tiny bit better than O'Toole.

Currently I think DeNiro and Pacino stand out. And I would give high marks to Ed Norton also, among the younger group.

akhhorus
06-03-2004, 01:24 PM
I would add Richard Harris in this category. I think he was tiny bit better than O'Toole.

Currently I think DeNiro and Pacino stand out. And I would give high marks to Ed Norton also, among the younger group.

Harris was good, but it is shocking that O'Toole, despite doing movies like "Lion in Winter", "Becket" and "Lawrence of Arabia" still hasnt won an oscar. I have to give the nod to O'Toole there. Harris has been nominated twice, but was never the great actor he should have been. He doesnt have memorable roles.

WackyJacky
06-03-2004, 01:41 PM
I gotta say I'm not too keen about using nominations and/or Oscars won as a yardstick for determining how good an actor/actress is. I mean, that's the group that gave Shakespeare in Love the nod over Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture, just to name one of their many questionable choices. Dubious.

I forgot about Meryl Streep. She's fantastic. Thanks for pointing out the oversight, AGG!

akhhorus
06-03-2004, 01:54 PM
I gotta say I'm not too keen about using nominations and/or Oscars won as a yardstick for determining how good an actor/actress is.

Partially agree, there are a lot of crappy actors and actresses who get a single nomination or win one and then fade away, but people who get consistantly nominated over and over again clearly are great actors. And the "shakespeare in love" vs. "Shaving Private Ryan" isnt close for the biggest screw job: "Citizen Kane" losing to "How Green was My Valley" is. Keep in mind that "Maltese Falcon" was also nominated for that year. Or "Oliver!" winning over "Lion in Winter" in 1969.

Minnesota Mike
06-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Harris was good, but it is shocking that O'Toole, despite doing movies like "Lion in Winter", "Becket" and "Lawrence of Arabia" still hasnt won an oscar. I have to give the nod to O'Toole there. Harris has been nominated twice, but was never the great actor he should have been. He doesnt have memorable roles.

What?!?!

His memorable roles span at least 3 generations. Here is an abreviated listing:

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) .... Albus Dumbledore
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) .... Albus Dumbledore
Gladiator (2000) .... Marcus Aurelius
Unforgiven (1992) .... English Bob
Patriot Games (1992) .... Paddy O'Neil
Field, The (1990) .... 'Bull' McCabe
Triumphs of a Man Called Horse (1982) .... John Morgan
Camelot (1982) (TV) .... King Arthur
Gulliver's Travels (1977) .... Gulliver
Return of a Man Called Horse, The (1976) .... John Morgan
Cromwell (1970) .... Oliver Cromwell
Man Called Horse, A (1970) .... John Morgan
Molly Maguires, The (1970) .... Detective James McParlan/McKenna
Camelot (1967) .... King Arthur
This Sporting Life (1963) .... Frank Machin
Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) .... Seaman John Mills
Guns of Navarone, The (1961) .... Squadron Leader Howard Barnsby RAAF
Terrible Beauty, A (1960) .... Sean Reilly

RedskinRyan
06-03-2004, 01:59 PM
al pacino, robert de niro, jack nicholson, adam sandler(jk)

Minnesota Mike
06-03-2004, 02:01 PM
I gotta say I'm not too keen about using nominations and/or Oscars won as a yardstick for determining how good an actor/actress is. I mean, that's the group that gave Shakespeare in Love the nod over Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture, just to name one of their many questionable choices. Dubious.

When Schindler's List won every Oscar except the one for the guy who played Schindler (Liam Neeson, he deserves some consideration for this list also), that was when I woke up to the fact that the Oscars were were a crock.

akhhorus
06-03-2004, 02:03 PM
Ill give you "Unforgiven", "The Field", "The Sporting Life", and "Cromwell"(Alec Guiness was much better in).

In Gladiator, the Harry Potter movies, Patriot Games, Mutiny on the Bounty and Guns of the Naverone: he's in those movies for about five minutes each...even Unforgiven he only really has two scenes.

What?!?!

His memorable roles span at least 3 generations. Here is an abreviated listing:

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) .... Albus Dumbledore
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) .... Albus Dumbledore
Gladiator (2000) .... Marcus Aurelius
Unforgiven (1992) .... English Bob
Patriot Games (1992) .... Paddy O'Neil
Field, The (1990) .... 'Bull' McCabe
Triumphs of a Man Called Horse (1982) .... John Morgan
Camelot (1982) (TV) .... King Arthur
Gulliver's Travels (1977) .... Gulliver
Return of a Man Called Horse, The (1976) .... John Morgan
Cromwell (1970) .... Oliver Cromwell
Man Called Horse, A (1970) .... John Morgan
Molly Maguires, The (1970) .... Detective James McParlan/McKenna
Camelot (1967) .... King Arthur
This Sporting Life (1963) .... Frank Machin
Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) .... Seaman John Mills
Guns of Navarone, The (1961) .... Squadron Leader Howard Barnsby RAAF
Terrible Beauty, A (1960) .... Sean Reilly

akhhorus
06-03-2004, 02:04 PM
When Schindler's List won every Oscar except the one for the guy who played Schindler (Liam Neeson, he deserves some consideration for this list also), that was when I woke up to the fact that the Oscars were were a crock.

But Tom Hanks really deserved to win for Philadelphia. He was great.

Minnesota Mike
06-03-2004, 02:12 PM
But Tom Hanks really deserved to win for Philadelphia. He was great.

Hanks was great. Neeson was better.

hail2skins
06-03-2004, 02:17 PM
I'm a Nicholson fan myself. His versatility is great.

Minnesota Mike
06-03-2004, 02:23 PM
Ill give you "Unforgiven", "The Field", "The Sporting Life", and "Cromwell"(Alec Guiness was much better in).

In Gladiator, the Harry Potter movies, Patriot Games, Mutiny on the Bounty and Guns of the Naverone: he's in those movies for about five minutes each...even Unforgiven he only really has two scenes.

You asked for memorable, not lengthy.

akhhorus
06-03-2004, 02:36 PM
You asked for memorable, not lengthy.

semantics wont help you. He wasnt memorable in Mutiny, Guns of the Navorone, Patriot Games, Gladiator or the Harry Potter movies.

Minnesota Mike
06-03-2004, 02:43 PM
semantics wont help you. He wasnt memorable in Mutiny, Guns of the Navorone, Patriot Games, Gladiator or the Harry Potter movies.

We'll just have to disagree on this, I suppose.

akhhorus
06-03-2004, 02:44 PM
We'll just have to disagree on this, I suppose.

How can you say he was Memorable in Guns of the Naverone? He had one line! Mutiny on the Bounty, he had 3 scenes. He had 3 scenes in Patriot Games also!

Minnesota Mike
06-03-2004, 02:49 PM
How can you say he was Memorable in Guns of the Naverone? He had one line! Mutiny on the Bounty, he had 3 scenes. He had 3 scenes in Patriot Games also!

I think you proved my point for me. He only had one line and you remembered that he only had one line. It must have been Memorable.

akhhorus
06-03-2004, 02:52 PM
I think you proved my point for me. He only had one line and you remembered that he only had one line. It must have been Memorable.

Um no. I really like that movie and I knew he was in it, but I didnt know who he was in it until I looked it up on the internet. He's the Australian pilot in the movie.

IndianBaller27
06-05-2004, 10:00 AM
akhhorus... u must watch a LOT of movies

HEY THIS IS MY 400'th POST!!!

JoeJacksonTaylor28
06-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Anthony Hopkins, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Jack Nicholson.

I'm old school. (kind of)

flave1969
06-06-2004, 05:30 AM
Benicio Del Toro
Edward Norton

SkinsGuru
06-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Academy Awards, USA

Year Result Award Category/Recipient(s)

1998 - Won - Oscar Best Supporting Actor for: Good Will Hunting (1998)

1992 - Nominated - Oscar Best Actor for: The Fisher King (1991)

1990 - Nominated - Oscar Best Actor for: Dead Poets Society (1989)

1988 - Nominated - Oscar Best Actor for: Good Morning, Vietnam (1987)

British Academy Awards

1990 - Nominated - BAFTA Film Award Best Actor for: Dead Poets Society (1989)

1988 - Nominated - BAFTA Film Award Best Actor for: Good Morning, Vietnam (1987)

Golden Globes, USA

1999 - Nominated - Golden Globe Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical for: Patch Adams (1998)

1998 - Nominated - Golden Globe Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture for: Good Will Hunting (1997)

1994 - Won - Golden Globe Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical for: Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)

1993 - Won - Special Award Special Award for Vocal Work for: Aladdin (1992)

1992 - Won - Golden Globe Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion picture - Comedy/Musical for: The Fisher King (1991)

1991 - Nominated - Golden Globe Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama for: Awakenings (1990)

1990 - Nominated - Golden Globe Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama for: Dead Poets Society (1989)

1988 - Won - Golden Globe Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical for: Good Morning Vietnam (1987)

1985 - Nominated - Golden Globe Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical for: Moscow on the Hudson (1984)

Source (http://www.the-movie-times.com/thrsdir/actors/actorProfiles.mv?robin)

SEE . . . Robin is the man ! ! !

akhhorus
06-06-2004, 11:21 AM
this one is considerably longer:
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000197/awards

Academy Awards, USA

1998 - Won - Oscar Best Supporting Actor for: Good Will Hunting (1998)

1992 - Nominated - Oscar Best Actor for: The Fisher King (1991)

1990 - Nominated - Oscar Best Actor for: Dead Poets Society (1989)

1988 - Nominated - Oscar Best Actor for: Good Morning, Vietnam (1987)

British Academy Awards

blah blah blah

IndianBaller27
06-06-2004, 06:10 PM
this one is considerably longer:
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000197/awards
woahh.... ya it is MUCH longer

akhhorus
06-06-2004, 06:14 PM
woahh.... ya it is MUCH longer

Robin Williams has 15 total nominations, Jack has 12 Oscar nominations. And 35 nominations in the same categories. Williams is a good comedic actor, however he's not in the top 100 movie actors of all time, or in the top 50 of right now. And the Oscar he won for "Good Will Hunting" should have gone to Greg Kinnear for "As Good as it Gets" or Burt Reynolds for "Boogie Nights".

thickskin
06-07-2004, 01:43 AM
It's tough trying to compare Nicholson and DeNiro. Nicholson does what he does superbly, but there's no way you can say he is more versatile than DeNiro. On the other hand, Deniro doesn't have that one character nailed like Jack does (the wild or crazy guy). deniro also hurts his reputation by taking lots of chances on weak scripts and by overextending (hated to see him in cape fear, failing the same failure so many others have failed--the embarassingly bad southern accent (duvall has this nailed btw)). nicholson knows his limits, deniro pushes his. i'm grateful for both. streep better than either, truth be told.

dogfight6
06-07-2004, 05:59 AM
Fred Ward and Diana Rigg

akhhorus
06-07-2004, 10:00 AM
It's tough trying to compare Nicholson and DeNiro. Nicholson does what he does superbly, but there's no way you can say he is more versatile than DeNiro. On the other hand, Deniro doesn't have that one character nailed like Jack does (the wild or crazy guy). deniro also hurts his reputation by taking lots of chances on weak scripts and by overextending (hated to see him in cape fear, failing the same failure so many others have failed--the embarassingly bad southern accent (duvall has this nailed btw)). nicholson knows his limits, deniro pushes his. i'm grateful for both. streep better than either, truth be told.

DeNiro is great, however, my biggest problem with him is that all of his truly great roles, he's playing the same character(The Scorese tough guy). Before you say Nicholson plays the same character over and over, he doesnt. He plays a lot of "crazy" guys, but they're all different. The crazy guy he plays in "Five easy pieces" is very different from the one he plays in the "Shining" or "As good as it gets" and so on. And Jack doesnt do many bad movies, the only "bad" movie he's done in the last twenty years was "Mars Attacks", and he was funny in that.

IowaSkinsFan
06-07-2004, 10:55 AM
You have to do it by generation. For this generation, purely as an actor: Jack Nicholson.

best role?

'About Schmidt'!

Loved that movie!

IowaSkinsFan
06-07-2004, 10:57 AM

DeNiro's best performance?

'Awakenings'

thickskin
06-07-2004, 02:20 PM
DeNiro's best performance?

'Awakenings'

yeah, that's what I'm talking about. that's range.

thickskin
06-07-2004, 03:19 PM
"DeNiro is great, however, my biggest problem with him is that all of his truly great roles, he's playing the same character(The Scorese tough guy). Before you say Nicholson plays the same character over and over, he doesnt. He plays a lot of "crazy" guys, but they're all different. "

I can certainly appreciate jack's talents with variations on a theme, but i'm unwilling to say deniro's tough guy is less nuanced than jack's crazy guy. to begin with, just look at his most famous gangster roles: godfather (evolution of a street thug into crime boss), goodfellas (mob world ins and outs and wow, the collab with joe p and liotta), and casino (a weak gangster!). from there, consider his tough guys in raging bull, the mission, and midnight run. he's definitely established more of a constellation that a typecast there. he also does a pretty good crazy guy in his own right. taxi driver, king of comedy, cape fear (except for accent!)

akhhorus
06-07-2004, 04:07 PM
I can certainly appreciate jack's talents with variations on a theme, but i'm unwilling to say deniro's tough guy is less nuanced than jack's crazy guy. to begin with, just look at his most famous gangster roles: godfather (evolution of a street thug into crime boss), goodfellas (mob world ins and outs and wow, the collab with joe p and liotta), and casino (a weak gangster!). from there, consider his tough guys in raging bull, the mission, and midnight run. he's definitely established more of a constellation that a typecast there. he also does a pretty good crazy guy in his own right. taxi driver, king of comedy, cape fear (except for accent!)

As opposed to Jack's variations on his theme:
About Schmidt
As Good as it Gets
Blood & Wine
Few Good Men
Ironweed
The Postmen Always Rings Twice
The Shining
Going South
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
King of Marvin Gardens
Five Easy Pieces
Easy Rider

just on better performances, Jack wins.

thickskin
06-07-2004, 08:14 PM
"better performances" seems a pretty vague choice for the single criterion upon which to judge these two guys, each great in his own right and way. this isn't the redskins or politics--it's art. you can have your cake and eat it too, so why not do just that?

Axegrinder
06-07-2004, 08:21 PM
Hey you two[Akhhorus & Thickskin],where would you rank Pacino and Michael Douglas?Paul Newman?Give me your best Siskel and Ebert.

akhhorus
06-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Hey you two[Akhhorus & Thickskin],where would you rank Pacino and Michael Douglas?Paul Newman?Give me your best Siskel and Ebert.

Pacino is in the top five for current actors. Douglas is in the top 50. Newman: top 25.

Axegrinder
06-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Pacino is in the top five for current actors. Douglas is in the top 50. Newman: top 25.
You sound like a traditionalist.What about the actors range?Can they do comedy too?On a previous post,you implied that Deniro was more or less playing 1 type of character in his movies.What about the others?

rskinsfan10
06-07-2004, 09:59 PM
I consider myself a Hanks fan, and I'm also partial Denzel Washington and Harrison Ford.

akhhorus
06-07-2004, 10:07 PM
You sound like a traditionalist.What about the actors range?Can they do comedy too?On a previous post,you implied that Deniro was more or less playing 1 type of character in his movies.What about the others?

Pacino plays similar characters in his movies, the over the top, intense person. "Heat" is a great movie, but Pacino and De Niro have been better in a lot of other movies. They mailed in their performances. The question was: the best current actor, being able to do both comedic and dramatic is factored in my decision. And that Nicholson.

Now, the best movie actor of all time is Olivier or Gielgud. Take your pick.

akhhorus
06-07-2004, 10:08 PM
I consider myself a Hanks fan, and I'm also partial Denzel Washington and Harrison Ford.

I really like Denzel as well, I cant wait for the "Mancurian Canidate" remake.

RedskinsVision
06-07-2004, 10:36 PM
"Mancurian Canidate"

sorry akh.. gotta throw one of ur grammar flags.. only a 5 yarder tho. :D

akhhorus
06-07-2004, 11:04 PM
sorry akh.. gotta throw one of ur grammar flags.. only a 5 yarder tho. :D

"Manchurian Canidate", retract the flag. And I'm throwing one on you for "ur".

LadyNRedskinsfan
06-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Who do you think is the best actor/actress right now? Not the hottest one, but the best actor. Like the ones that can seriously act. For me it would be Tom Hanks. What about y'all?
tom hanks is the man. he and denzel washington are tied for my favorites.

RedskinsVision
06-08-2004, 12:02 AM
"Manchurian Canidate", retract the flag. And I'm throwing one on you for "ur".

:lol1: I always type "ur" and "u" but alright, since technicality counts with grammar flags. But I gotta throw another one. Trung "Canidate"?

thickskin
06-08-2004, 12:16 PM

Pacino has a marvelous voice. I imagine he's probably a favorite actor among
the blind--even without scent of a woman, which I always thought was an iffy kind of title. I'm not all that impressed with Douglas; he's had his moments--Wall Street, for example, but that was just a great script. As for Newman, I honestly havn't seen enough. I liked cool hand of course. Thought he was good in Road to Perdition too, whereTom Hanks was lackluster. But then again that was a Sam Mendes film, and he made an oscar winner out of Kevin Spacey, who's extemely over-rated. Jude Law, one of the best younger actors, does nice work in Road. . .also.

halter91
06-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Tom Hanks is awesome, I love Ed Harris from the Rock and Radio,.