PDA

View Full Version : more about the Skins

chrisbcbu
06-04-2004, 07:56 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/b_duane_cross/06/03/awards.predictions/index.html

What about the Redskins? The Falcons, not the Redskins, are contenders?
-- Matthew

I'm not buying into all the hoopla over Joe Gibbs' return. Like the folks in Missouri say: show me. Until then, yes the Falcons have a better shot at making the playoffs this year. Michael Silver did a piece for Sports Illustrated last week about Joe and the Space Cowboys. Anyone who believes Gibbs will turn it around in a year can pick up their space cadet membership card at the gate.

This guy is not worth the crap on the bottom of my shoe!

PennSkinsFan
06-04-2004, 07:59 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/b_duane_cross/06/03/awards.predictions/index.html

-- Matthew

I'm not buying into all the hoopla over Joe Gibbs' return. Like the folks in Missouri say: show me. Until then, yes the Falcons have a better shot at making the playoffs this year. Michael Silver did a piece for Sports Illustrated last week about Joe and the Space Cowboys. Anyone who believes Gibbs will turn it around in a year can pick up their space cadet membership card at the gate.

I agree with the statement he makes ""show me". We have discussed this before here at hR. Year after year we spend, spend, and spend more, liek ou chances, talk about our weaknesses and strengths, critcize every wirter and fan that is critical of tis team, just to find ourselves by mid-season wandering what happened, wandering why we can nto win a division game, why we blow leads in the 4th quarter, why our coaches do this or that. After ten years of anticipation and hope, only to have gloom and despair, yup, i agree with the writer and Coach Gibbs, it is time to SHOW, not TELL!

NamVet4
06-04-2004, 08:14 AM
I agree with PSF. And you have to remember that there is a strong prejudice for failure towards the Redskins, based on our past performance !
The writers are not as passionate as we are, but reality says we should be tolerant of their assesments.
I have great faith in Coach Gibbs -and I will be happy to make a strong showing this year - and if we make the playoffs - that's icing on the cake !

:D

chrisbcbu
06-04-2004, 08:18 AM
I agreed with most of his statements until he said "Anyone who believes Gibbs will turn it around in a year can pick up their space cadet membership card at the gate."

So now i cant believe in my coach?

REDMAN
06-04-2004, 09:24 AM
Stone him!

AGibbsGirl
06-04-2004, 09:37 AM
I agreed with most of his statements until he said "Anyone who believes Gibbs will turn it around in a year can pick up their space cadet membership card at the gate."

Shoot, I hate the way I look on those membership cards...where do I stand for the photo? :D

frenchskinsfan
06-04-2004, 09:53 AM
"Anyone who believes Gibbs will turn it around in a year can pick up their space cadet membership card at the gate."

And how do you, Mister, intend to prove that Gibbs will NOT turn it around ?

tommahawk
06-04-2004, 10:12 AM

-- Matthew

Spatlanta was 5-11 last year same as us. They did it without a quarterback, we did it without a coach. We'll see whos better at the end of the year. It won't be spatlanta.

BandWagon
06-04-2004, 11:09 AM
I agree with the statement he makes ""show me". We have discussed this before here at hR. Year after year we spend, spend, and spend more, liek ou chances, talk about our weaknesses and strengths, critcize every wirter and fan that is critical of tis team, just to find ourselves by mid-season wandering what happened, wandering why we can nto win a division game, why we blow leads in the 4th quarter, why our coaches do this or that. After ten years of anticipation and hope, only to have gloom and despair, yup, i agree with the writer and Coach Gibbs, it is time to SHOW, not TELL!

Agreed. I was thinking about this last night. I'm exceedingly optimistic! I'm deliriously optimistic...have I found myself caught in another Redskins off-season euphoria? I actually thought about that long and hard last night. However, the conclusion I came to was rather simple. If this doesn't work, what's left? (I have to note I just looked out my 7th floor office window which looks out over an elementary school playground, and there's a little girl down there in a Ramsey Jersey! Reminds me of the old days) I digress....sorry! Anyway as I was saying, seriously folks if Gibbs doesn't turn this around, who does?? If he doesn't turn this team into a winner we're screwed. Period! Snyder made the ultimate move. There's nothing left in the tank after this. The franchise will fail. So that's why I'm optimistic, it HAS to work! Otherwise, Snyder should sell the team before he loses too much money and we should get an arena league team.

HanburgerBum
06-04-2004, 11:23 AM
The inconsistent logic used by this B. Duane Cross really gets me. He is predicting Atlanta to be more of a playoff threat than the Redskins and Seahawks on the one hand, and then picks the Falcons to lose at home to the Lions (a team with a record 24 straight losses on the road) on the other hand.

I sent him the following comment/question (hope he responds):

"Your prediction that the Falcons are more of a playoff threat than the Redskins is laughable. Atlanta, I believe, was a bottom-three defense last year. A rookie CB (DHall) is going to turn it all around by himself? You even had the Falcons losing at home in game 1 against Detroit because of their sorry defense. A team projected to lose at home to the no-account Lions is your idea of a playoff team? By the way, your preference of Atlanta over the Seahawks as a playoff contender borders on being brain dead. How does one apply for your job?"

chrisbcbu
06-04-2004, 11:26 AM
I sent him the following comment/question (hope he responds):

"Your prediction that the Falcons are more of a playoff threat than the Redskins is laughable. Atlanta, I believe, was a bottom-three defense last year. A rookie CB (DHall) is going to turn it all around by himself? You even had the Falcons losing at home in game 1 against Detroit because of their sorry defense. A team projected to lose at home to the no-account Lions is your idea of a playoff team? By the way, your preference of Atlanta over the Seahawks as a playoff contender borders on being brain dead. How does one apply for your job?"

:lol1:

LATrueRedskin
06-04-2004, 12:50 PM
No optimism is needed. Gibbs having to adjust to a 'newer' football is pure bulls***, and anybody who brings that to me in an arguement will get laughed back at them. Yes other teams may be more athletic and agressive, but Gibbs is COACHING the same agressive athletes. This guy is a pure blooded winner. We hoped that for Spurrier, but we didnt KNOW. We KNOW this with Gibbs, and so does the rest of the league. I'm not expecting the Redskins to win the Super Bowl, but we are sure as hell gonna contend for it. Whoever wrote this for SI is an idiot, and thats the reason Sports Illustrated sucks anyway. ESPN Magazine is way better.

RedskinRyan
06-04-2004, 01:33 PM
oh, and like the falcons are gonna turn it around in one year? i hate to tell people, but vick cant do it all.

MDSkins
06-04-2004, 01:43 PM
The only question about the playoffs is if 10-11 games are enough to get it done. I really believe the Skins will be 11-5 or 10-6 at worst. And if the Skins do make the playoffs, no team will want to face them......

garedskin
06-04-2004, 03:31 PM

-- Matthew

Go ahead and give me my second warning right now.
If ignorance where painful you would be a dead son of a bitch. :Peace:

garedskin
06-04-2004, 03:32 PM

-- Matthew

Give me my 2nd warning or what ever right now.
If ignorance where painful you would be a dead SOB DUMB ASS.Gibbs has proven himself once before the Atlanta organization has not.It takes a whole team effort to win championships not just one player as the case in atlanta. :Peace:

hockeygoalie29
06-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Anyone else keep reading?!?!?

Are you kidding with a Super Bowl pick of Miami? The Dolphins have one of the worst head coaches in the NFL. They just lost their respected offensive coordinator and have had problems replacing him. They have no QB. Their star RB might be suspended for violating the NFL substance abuse policy. They've overhauled their O-line, which looks mediocre at best. And to top it all off, their defense is even older than it was last year! You'd think that they'd infuse it with young talent, but no. I don't even see them making the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl! Get real. I could write a more convincing article on why the Redskins are going to win the Super Bowl than your schpeel about the Fins. At least the Redskins have a coach.
-- John, Virginia

Yep, the Skins have a coach, highly respected one, too. But Washington plays in the NFC -- and there are several teams in line for a Super Bowl berth before Joe's schmoes. Miami, on the other hand, plays in the AFC, and if the Dolphins can get past the Patriots (a big if, as I said), they have a better shot of getting to the title game than the Redskins in the NFC.

"Joe's schmoes"!!! Got to be kidding, the 'Skins are one of if not the most talent filled teams in the league. This guy needs a new job.

RedskinsVision
06-04-2004, 05:06 PM
this dude has something against Gibbs.. he's also their Nascar writer so maybe he wants him back in racing.. here's what he wrote on our opening game vs. TB...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/b_duane_cross/04/14/must.see.games/index.html

Tampa Bay at Washington, Week 1 -- Joe Gibbs last faced Tampa Bay on Oct. 22, 1989, when Bucco Bruce was the쟭ug of Florida's other franchise. Fifteen years later, Tampa touts Pewter Power, the Sunshine State now has three professional teams (four if you count the Hurricanes) and the Skins have become the laughingstock. Welcome back, Joe. And if you're having second thoughts, the NASCAR guys will be in Richmond, Va., that weekend. It's a Saturday night race, but there will be plenty of time during the 120-mile drive back to Landover, Md., to re-think the Mark Brunell experiment.

hockeygoalie29
06-04-2004, 05:26 PM
You know he has no idea what he is talking about when he says that the Eagles have one of the NFL's PREMIER passing games. ARE YOU KIDDING!?!?! The reason they brough in Owens is because their passing games SUCKED! (Does anyone need a reminder of their loss in the championship game?) Not to mention that good 'ol McNabb is one of the least accurate quarterbacks in the league, I hope Owens likes picking up balls from the dirt!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/b_duane_cross/04/14/must.see.games/index.html (check game # 10, Vikings vs. Eagles)

redwolf1218
06-04-2004, 05:33 PM
he says "show me". what else does gibbs have to do to show someone he knows a lil something about winning?

PyroGenic
06-04-2004, 10:53 PM
i can't believe i owe those a-holes at SI money... everything they say is contradictory to the things they say a month ago and they're evil :devil2:

Anywho, i laughed at HanBugerBum's letter... way to put him in his place :lol1:

EDIT: fixed

RedskinsVision
06-05-2004, 12:43 AM
profanity flag.. that's a 15 yarder. :)