PDA

View Full Version : Back Up That You are Most Excited About

ConradCountry
06-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Which backup player or practice roster player are you most excited about seeing this year on the field and in their development?

truant
06-30-2004, 04:26 PM
I'll bite...

Taylor Jacobs, Clifton Smith, Sultan, Nic Clemmons.

But no.1 is Jacobs. I think he can really be a star and we haven't gotten a chance to see much of him yet.

Skin Tight
06-30-2004, 05:17 PM
I would definitely go with Taylor Jacobs. It looks like he is determined to make a presence this year. I believe he will suprise alot of people.

redwolf1218
06-30-2004, 05:30 PM
mccants or jacobs. maybe ramsey.

IndianBaller27
06-30-2004, 07:31 PM
I like Sulton McCulluh and Scott Cloman

akhhorus
06-30-2004, 07:34 PM
Patrick Ramsey: beat that.

dj_stouty
06-30-2004, 07:36 PM
I like Ram and McCants...

But someone I've always wanted to watch succeed is Bauman. I'm hoping he gets to contribute some in dime packages this year.

BandWagon
06-30-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm getting more and more intrigued by Salave'a, but Sultan would be a strong runner-up. I'm a sucker for a third string back....loved them all, especially Ricky Ervins...

ihatedallas
06-30-2004, 08:02 PM
dmac or walt harris

redwolf1218
06-30-2004, 08:04 PM
i forgot about salave'a, i keep hearing good things about him and he is bigger than i originally thought, for some reason. he might be a surprise. would regan upshaw be considered a backup? i think he will be good this year.

LATrueRedskin
06-30-2004, 08:44 PM
I wanna see what Taylor Jacobs can do. He was hurt last year and I want to see how he reacts and produces in the NFL.

Death_Venom
06-30-2004, 09:04 PM

ok...........ok..................ok............... .How 'bout Patrick Ramsey??? :lol1:

JoeJacksonTaylor28
06-30-2004, 10:20 PM
1. Taylor Jacobs
2. Ladell Betts: I want to see what he is really capable of doing in a real offensive scheme
3. Iffy Ohalete/MB: He should be very good in passing formations like Nickel or Dime

LadyNRedskinsfan
06-30-2004, 11:09 PM
jacobs
betts
*ramsey
salave'a
mccants
molinaro
wilson

*-That is if he is not the starter.

PyroGenic
06-30-2004, 11:22 PM
jacobs and ramsey all the way

IowaSkinsFan
06-30-2004, 11:40 PM
Which backup player or practice roster player are you most excited about seeing this year on the field and in their development?

Betts and Jacobs.

LaxinFish29
07-01-2004, 12:23 AM
im gonna have to say kevin mitchell, only if one of the big three go down god forbid

RedskinsVision
07-01-2004, 12:36 AM

so you're saying he won't start? :)

i wanna see Salave'a, Noble, W. Harris, R. Brown, Jacobs, Betts, Cooley, Pierce, Marshall, Winey.. almost all and any young backups who should see some playing time.

frenchskinsfan
07-01-2004, 04:13 AM
1. Taylor Jacobs
2. Ladell Betts: I want to see what he is really capable of doing in a real offensive scheme
3. Iffy Ohalete/MB: He should be very good in passing formations like Nickel or Dime

My choices too.

It's been a whole year waiting for Jacobs to play.
I liked what Betts said last year in his Redskins.com diaries, and I think he'll be effective, given the opportunity to play, under new offensive schemes.
Ohalete is a nice player, maybe he'll be a starter by the end of preseason, but if not, he'll be a usefull extra DB.

Spearfeather
07-01-2004, 08:29 AM
Jacobs and Salave'a

Would like to see Jacobs in the slot

GolfFreak
07-01-2004, 08:31 AM
T Jacobs is the top on my list

Patrick
07-01-2004, 08:45 AM
Not that I'd want to see him have to be used, other than maybe relief ... Winey. Be interest to see how much he's developed during the off-season.

Jon Creveling
07-01-2004, 09:19 AM
I'm very open minded top see Brandon get playing time this year, not in the hope of displacing Chris in the near future :) But I realy liked how he played last year, kept a very watchful eye on him last year and realy hope he takes this camp seriously and catches Bugels eye! Would like to see him get some fill-in work at both tackle and guard. Do have a feeling Jacobs will show positive vibes this year! Would like to see Rob Royal open eyes at t.e.!

LuvSkins17
07-01-2004, 09:29 AM
I would have to say McCants, McCullugh, and Jacobs. I wanna see what Jacobs does in a "true" pro offensive system since he supposedly mastered the college happy "fun and gun". I want to see how different he is from the other Gator WR's that failed in the pros.

I always liked McCants. McCullugh is my sleeper. I hope he makes the team.

redwolf1218
07-01-2004, 09:35 AM
I'm very open minded top see Brandon get playing time this year, not in the hope of displacing Chris in the near future :) But I realy liked how he played last year, kept a very watchful eye on him last year and realy hope he takes this camp seriously and catches Bugels eye! Would like to see him get some fill-in work at both tackle and guard. Do have a feeling Jacobs will show positive vibes this year! Would like to see Rob Royal open eyes at t.e.!
i'd like to see winey do well also. thats interesting you mentioned robert royal. i kinda figured he'd get cut with all these other new guys we brought in. he'll have to win a spot in camp. he'll have to be pretty good to do that, then we'll see what he can do as backup.

Jon Creveling
07-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Wolf I don't view Royal as an auto-cut, here's why. You have to remember that Koz-Bax-Ras are all proven and experienced, but they are all alittle up there in years, Gibbs may look to Royal and Cooley as young guys that he can mold moreso than teaching old dogs new tricks.? Man it's just a quess, but I am pulling for the dude! Does anyone else think Sellers will bump Rock out of a job at f.b.? This should be very interesting how this te~h-back~f.b. plays out in camp. Just a quess, Rasby makes team as main blocker, Cooley takes on a crash course dual role as blocker/passing, Royal makes cuts as main passing t.e. and Mike bumps the Rock at f.b.. What they may try and do is use combos of these guys to cover up intent of play, under the Cooley-Rasby combo (2 t.e.'s) sure it looks pre snap as blocking, the Cooley-Royal combo could look like pass, an interesting ambush scheme out of my guesswork is an Rasby-Royal combo with the pre snap thinking being pass to Royal, but no, Walter sneaks open for his once a year catch! Lets hope it counts! Alot of this guesswork is based on Rasby maintaining to be a known good blocker, Royal catching passes and Cooley being able to digest everything Gibbs throws at him! Sellers? I remember him being a very tough blocker with a nasty side, (I like that). Pulling for Ralph Brown also.

redwolf1218
07-01-2004, 12:15 PM
cool! i was wondering if you knew some things about royal that i wasnt aware of, because i really dont know much about him. i believe there were high expectations for him, but then didnt he get hurt or something? he does seem to be the only pass catching TE we have. the others are hbacks, or blocking TE's.

redwolf1218
07-01-2004, 12:41 PM
what about wide receiver kevin swayne. i wonder why we signed him away from the Jets. is he fast? did he return punts? he's listed at 6'-1 and 191.

sdredskinsfan
07-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Salave'a, McCants, Jacobs

sdredskinsfan
07-02-2004, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=Jon Creveling]Does anyone else think Sellers will bump Rock out of a job at f.b.? QUOTE]

Gibbs does not use a fullback, and Rock is trying to trim down in order to be looked at as a tailback.

JoeJacksonTaylor28
07-02-2004, 05:54 PM
what about wide receiver kevin swayne. i wonder why we signed him away from the Jets. is he fast? did he return punts? he's listed at 6'-1 and 191.
As far as I know, he is no longer part of the team. He asked for the Redskins to release him because he would have a bigger shot making the CFL or something like that. I'm not pretty sure about it.

PyroGenic
07-02-2004, 05:56 PM
canada eh?

RedskinRyan
07-02-2004, 06:29 PM
still kinda hoping on sultan mccoullagh(sp). i think he could be an excellent change of pace back(or become a faster portis) if he can add some power to his speed.

JoeJacksonTaylor28
07-02-2004, 06:46 PM
As far as I know, he is no longer part of the team. He asked for the Redskins to release him because he would have a bigger shot making the CFL or something like that. I'm not pretty sure about it.
Yeah, I was right. Kevin Swayne is no longer part of the team.

PennSkinsFan
07-02-2004, 07:09 PM
Jacobs and salaev'a. I think both can play very critical roles.

redwolf1218
07-02-2004, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I was right. Kevin Swayne is no longer part of the team.
ok well there's one backup i'll quit wondering about. thought it was weird when we signed him anyway. he had 2 catches last year, 1 for a TD. we have like 50 receivers.

JoeJacksonTaylor28
07-02-2004, 07:21 PM
ok well there's one backup i'll quit wondering about. thought it was weird when we signed him anyway. he had 2 catches last year, 1 for a TD. we have like 50 receivers.
No, there are only 47... :)

redwolf1218
07-04-2004, 11:14 PM
No, there are only 47... :)
i am thinking about walking on to try out at minicamp, so 48 when i get there.

Ford
07-05-2004, 12:36 AM
What happened to last year when everyone told me Jacobs was just another florida receiver who wouldn't pan out? Jacobs is my main squeeze on the bench .. but he won't stay there long so think of a backup.

IowaSkinsFan
07-05-2004, 05:13 AM

I think it will be tragic irony in the end, but Royal will have a hard time making this squad due to the depth at the H back/TE position. The irony being that he is probably the best receiver of them all. He just doesn't bring much to the table as a blocker, which I think will be his undoing.

Jon Creveling
07-05-2004, 10:40 AM
I.S.F. agree with your thinking, I'd guess he'll have to realy standout as an pure receiving tightend. He'll have to make himself hard to cut. One way to look at it is instead of depth at the position now, it may be just clutter, do some of these older guys still have it? We won't realy know anything until the preseason games unless we hear one or some of them outright stink in camp. Like the kid and would like to see him stay healthy for a whole season!

ConradCountry
07-05-2004, 03:33 PM
I would like to see us keep Royal just because he is younger then everyone else and showed flashes in his first 2 years.

I would like to see Whiney in some more action to gage his talent but that would mean someone got hurt.

Aurej
07-05-2004, 04:13 PM
While not technically a backup I'd like to see Rock Cartwright used like Riggins. ie if the Redskins are up just have him run it, save Portis for another time. I also doubt Portis durability he's not exactly a big guy. Rock on the otherhand is well, a rock.

PennSkinsFan
07-05-2004, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=Jon Creveling]Does anyone else think Sellers will bump Rock out of a job at f.b.? QUOTE]

Gibbs does not use a fullback, and Rock is trying to trim down in order to be looked at as a tailback.

True. Rock is not a prototypical FB. He is not going to burst holes open for Portis. He is too small to be that effective as a true fiullback. That spot should be owned by Sellers.

PyroGenic
07-05-2004, 09:19 PM
While not technically a backup I'd like to see Rock Cartwright used like Riggins. ie if the Redskins are up just have him run it, save Portis for another time. I also doubt Portis durability he's not exactly a big guy. Rock on the otherhand is well, a rock.

i dont like the fact that he broke his ribs and had to wear that flak jacket... but atleast he played

GoDannyBoy
07-05-2004, 10:03 PM
This is what makes training camp and preseason so much fun. I can't wait for camp. I think one of the WR's will surprise the coaches. I don't know if that means we trade Rod Gardner, but who knows. I would like to see Taylor Jacob's step up because he is suppose to be fast and with tighter rules on the "D" fast WR's could stretch the field. Or maybe that unsigned guy from VT.

I like the Rock too, that guy gave it all on every play. I think that we will see a lot more heart from our players and maybe some unexpected cuts or trades before the season starts!

NCskinsfanatic
07-05-2004, 10:34 PM
I want to see Ramsey healthy and confident again and this year I truely believe that will be as a backup. I would also like to see Jacobs and Dockery develop on O. And if Betts doesnt show up this year then I will feel like we really wasted a 2nd rounder on him.He has all the skills, or did coming out of Iowa( I believe it was) to be a threat catching and running. I hope he finally does well this year because...... call me crazy but I dont have a fascination with Rock. He's tough and plays hard that's for sure. I'm not questioning his heart. I just don't think he is big enough to draw comparisions to Riggins, or Riggs as a prototypical short yardage guy. I havent seen Rock dragging guys down field and making holes where there werent any before. I like him but think he's little more than the 3rd RB, possibly 4th behind Morton and needs to "bring" it on special teams.

IowaSkinsFan
07-06-2004, 01:51 AM
Betts runs with violence. He will prove it this year and be a good complement to Portis, who will need the breathers after the 50 yard strolls down the sidelines.

LavarBabyDaddy
07-06-2004, 09:23 AM
It would have to be Clifton Smith. He was all Big East Linebacker, and was fairly dominate. He was a projected 2nd rounder and for some reason was never drafted. I think he has a lot of potential and can come in a game and give some relief to the starters at LB.Plus he went to cuse, so im biased

smoak
07-06-2004, 10:13 AM
nothing new here. i'd love to see d'mac and jacbos play a little, but not b/c of injury!!! :

Aurej
07-06-2004, 01:49 PM
I think Rock makes a better backup than Betts who missed 7 games last season with injuries and averaged 3.3 ypc, Rock averaged 3.8 ypc and played in 15 games (he was healthy for the other one just didn't play). The only thing going for Betts is he didn't fumble, but he also had about 50 less touches.

REDMAN
07-07-2004, 08:28 AM
Jacobs

hockeygoalie29
07-07-2004, 08:32 AM
I havent seen Rock dragging guys down field and making holes where there werent any before. I like him but think he's little more than the 3rd RB, possibly 4th behind Morton and needs to "bring" it on special teams.

Did you watch the games last year? Rock blasted through lineman when either Betts or Trung would have gone down. I believe someone here said he was perfect on short yardage runs, that's pretty incredible, it shows you he can move the pile when needed. I'm not saying he's the next Riggins, but he would be a great asset to this team.

redwolf1218
07-07-2004, 11:40 AM
i think i'd rather see sellers running behind cooley on short yardage, both at 270 or more. if cooley is a backup then he's the guy i'm excited about. also jacobs. the undrafted corner from va tech may be a real gem. someone said he was comparable to deangelo hall before he got injured.

smoak
07-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Did you watch the games last year? Rock blasted through lineman when either Betts or Trung would have gone down. I believe someone here said he was perfect on short yardage runs, that's pretty incredible, it shows you he can move the pile when needed. I'm not saying he's the next Riggins, but he would be a great asset to this team.

on thing i did notice is that rock seemed to usually get the first down/TD despite the fact that EVERYONE in the stadium knew he was getting the ball. he picked up that one key first down in a preseason game, and spurrier just kept going to the well.

suppitty
07-07-2004, 03:49 PM
DMC
ramsey
betts
jacobs
iffy