PDA

View Full Version : Best Roller Coaster/Amusement Park

AGibbsGirl
07-01-2004, 07:55 AM
My friend and I took our midgets to Hershey Park yesterday.
(Which is pretty much Shangri La for women, btw)

Anyway, after purchasing a lifetime supply of chocolate at the factory, we headed into the park.

They have a new ride there called Storm Runner that is unbelievable!! It shoots you to 72 mph in 2 seconds and is 18 stories tall, you can see it from just about everywhere in the park!
http://www.hersheypa.com/attractions/hersheypark/rides/

So what's your favorite roller coaster and amusement park?
Because of my back troubles I do not ride things that flip and twirl and shoot you into hyperspace, but Hershey does have a great wooden roller coaster called Lightning Racer that I love!
I also love Kings Dominionís Rebel Yell, the one that goes backwards...love that!

Of all of the parks around here, I love Hershey because it has a great family atmosphere and the kids can ride the adult rides at a much younger age then most parks.

...and then thereís all of that chocolate!

NamVet4
07-01-2004, 08:10 AM
Ah, Chocolate, that wonderful creation of man that satisifies the deepest need. . . . . Uh I digres . . .
Just like you, AGG, I dont ride anything much wilder than the carousel due to back problems. However, when I was a lot younger, the best, and only coaster I rode, was at Coney Island, NY. An old wooden coaster that was worth the wait to ride.- everybody tells me there is nothing like the sound of the clickety-clack of the wheels on a wooden coaster! But it was really the whole experience, the smell of fresh air, the salt water and of course Nathan's Hotdogs.
Glad you had a great day with the kids . . . :D

IndianBaller27
07-01-2004, 08:17 AM
My favorite amusment park is Paramounts Kings Dominion. I have been to Six Flags and Hershey Park, but when I went to those amusment parks i was too scared to go on the roller coasters. Then when I went to Kings Dominion I was forced to go on the "Volcano" because if i didn't go on it, I would've had to wait for an hour (maybe more) for them to finish the ride..... alone. My favorite ride there is Flight of Fear because you are in the dark and you cant really tell what you are doing or where you are going, but it's REALLY fun!

SkinsKY
07-01-2004, 08:17 AM
Cedar Point, Sandusky Ohio.

I haven't actually ridden anything because the one day I went, it poured the entire day. But...the Top Thrill Dragster (for which I did stand in line for two hours before the rain came) is 120mph in 4 seconds and climbs over 430 ft and then back down an 80 degree drop. With the Raptor and Millenium Force and 6.2 billion other coasters, I think we'd be hard pressed to find much better.

Ramsey2Moss
07-01-2004, 08:21 AM

I haven't actually ridden anything because the one day I went, it poured the entire day. But...the Top Thrill Dragster (for which I did stand in line for two hours before the rain came) is 120mph in 4 seconds and climbs over 430 ft and then back down an 80 degree drop. With the Raptor and Millenium Force and 6.2 billion other coasters, I think we'd be hard pressed to find much better.

Ditto. I went CP for a band trip this year and it was awesome. I went on Raptor and a few of the other ones, but Millenium Force's wait was 3 hours and Top Thrill Dragster was broken down.

GolfFreak
07-01-2004, 08:28 AM
I haven't been to that many, but I prefer Bush Gardens over Kings Dominion. I just like the atmosphere better at BG.

IllinoiSkinFan
07-01-2004, 08:30 AM

Best park by far!!! No one has as many rides. Lines are a little long. Of course lines are long at most of the parks.

Also when I was still in VA I won season passes to adventure world. Not a giant park but the lines were not too bad and we had fun when we went. Its not my favorite but pretty good for a smaller park. Their halloween days are fun.

In Illinios I used to go to Six Flags St Louis. It use to be really fun and I often had season passes to it. During the Fright Night Weeks I would go as often as possible. But now they added a giant water park. They jacked up the ticket prices insanely and let everyone know that you can get into their waterpark for free if you have a six flaggs ticket for that day. The lines have become too long and rides very old looking. I do not go anymore.

Patrick
07-01-2004, 08:58 AM
I've understood Sandusky has the best .... at least up to 2002. It's seem there were a few parks that made a bid last year for the "Latest/Greatest". I base this on the Travel Channel's Top 10 RollerCoasters. ...... The best to date that I've been able to ride is the one at Bush Gardens (VA). The RC (forgot it's name) has a 89 degree vertical drop. ..... It's a real PantsPisser!

RedskinsDave
07-01-2004, 09:10 AM
Has anyone been to a park that has the new ticket system so you don't wait in line for hours?

Patrick
07-01-2004, 09:14 AM
Has anyone been to a park that has the new ticket system so you don't wait in line for hours?

Had something like that in Dinsey .... worked pretty well too.

dj_stouty
07-01-2004, 09:32 AM
I grew up going to Hershey Park. The "Super Dooper Looper" is/was the only looping coaster I've ever been on. (or ever will)

I HATE ROLLER COASTERS...so I tend to go to Universal Studios and the such.

Actually, I prefer Epcot Center, because you can play "beers around the world" by having a different beer in each counry. :)

Patrick
07-01-2004, 09:34 AM
I grew up going to Hershey Park. The "Super Dooper Looper" is/was the only looping coaster I've ever been on. (or ever will)

I HATE ROLLER COASTERS...so I tend to go to Universal Studios and the such.

Actually, I prefer Epcot Center, because you can play "beers around the world" by having a different beer in each counry. :)

LOL ........ did that too and we tried to see how many times we could make it around the world in one day. (The wives weren't amused at all)

SkinsGuru
07-01-2004, 10:28 AM

Ceder Point is awesome. Back in highschool the seniors always took a class trip there.

Minnesota Mike
07-01-2004, 11:04 AM
and only coaster I rode, was at Coney Island, NY. An old wooden coaster that was worth the wait to ride.- everybody tells me there is nothing like the sound of the clickety-clack of the wheels on a wooden coaster! But it was really the whole experience, the smell of fresh air, the salt water and of course Nathan's Hotdogs.
Glad you had a great day with the kids . . . :D

THE CYCLONE!!!!

That is the mother of all roller coasters. All coaster afficianados should ride this one at least once.

The last time I rode it was probably 10 years ago. I think 90% of the full range of motion has returned to my neck thanks to weekly visits to the chiropractor. And I can once again lift my left hand above my shoulder. It was a lot like a bar fight in many ways.

LATrueRedskin
07-01-2004, 12:32 PM
I've only been to one amusement park, and that was Adventure World (Is that even there anymore?). I forget the name of the roller coaster but it was just one HUUUUGE loop that takes you forward and then backwards, pretty amazing.

LadyNRedskinsfan
07-01-2004, 03:00 PM
My favorite amusment park is Paramounts Kings Dominion. I have been to Six Flags and Hershey Park, but when I went to those amusment parks i was too scared to go on the roller coasters. Then when I went to Kings Dominion I was forced to go on the "Volcano" because if i didn't go on it, I would've had to wait for an hour (maybe more) for them to finish the ride..... alone. My favorite ride there is Flight of Fear because you are in the dark and you cant really tell what you are doing or where you are going, but it's REALLY fun!
kings dominion is my favorite. the last time i was there, i rode every single roller coaster except for one. favorite ride is the volcano, but the rebel yell is a classic! it takes forever to get on the volcano, but i think its worth it. the problem is that KD is 4 hours away. I have been to six flags here in md and i have been to hershey park, but i just like KD better.

hail2skins
07-01-2004, 04:48 PM
I liked the Deuling Dragons in Orlando, FL.

http://www.coasterphotos.com/IOA/images/Dragons-10.JPG

bfauble83
07-01-2004, 05:25 PM
I've been on two roller coasters that I can remember, the Big Bad Wolf at Busch Gardens, which wasn't bad. And the Scooby Doo coaster which I think was at Kings Dominion and it scared me.

Axegrinder
07-01-2004, 06:05 PM
There used to be an old wooden rollercoaster at a place called Ocean View Amusement Park down here in Norfolk.Many people perished from this ride and the noise[rickety cracking sounds] and the shaking made the coaster that much more frightening.Needless to say,they're both gone now.In the late 70's they filmed a movie called Rollercoaster at the amusement park.The movie was about someone trying to blow up the coaster and the park.That's how the place was demolished.I will say that it took 2 explosions[tries] to get that old coaster down.She was one tough old lady.If any of you older folks[or your relatives] were ever in the Navy and stationed in Norfolk during that time period,you might remember this coaster.