PDA

View Full Version : hR Poll Issue #8: Statehood for Puerto Rico?

PennSkinsFan
07-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Puerto Rico Poll (http://www.cpod.ubc.ca/polls/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewItem&itemID=3475)

Since other are polling on the issuem, why dont we poll hR to see what we think. Assuming, like in the past, Puerto Ricans vote for statehood, what is your view?

Keino
07-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Not Before DC.

PennSkinsFan
07-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Not Before DC.

I dunno man. The Founders developed DC as a non-state for a reason.

Spence
07-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Yes, I support it if they vote for it. So far, pro-statehood statehood referendums generally get a small plurality of the vote, with the rest being split between pro-commonwealth [status quo] votes and a tiny minority of pro-independence votes dividing up the rest of the population. One day I'm pretty sure Puerto Rico will be a state. Just depends on how long it takes.

RedskinsDave
07-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Not Before DC.

Sure, just as soon as they stop voting for Marion Barry. :)

Spence
07-21-2004, 01:44 PM
I dunno man. The Founders developed DC as a non-state for a reason.They didn't think anyone would live there. They envisioned a tiny federal government with very few permanent residents of the District of Columbia. Right now, D.C. residents pay federal income tax, but they do not have representation in the federal parliament. The phrase "no taxation without representation" comes to mind.

What's more, D.C. residents are subject to selective service. More D.C. residents have fought and died in American wars than the residents of a number of states. What makes those states more deserving of statehood than the District? Nothing.

I don't really care if D.C. is declared a state or not, but it should obviously have representation in the House of Representatives [one congressperson] and the U.S. Senate [two senators].

Keino
07-21-2004, 01:47 PM
They didn't think anyone would live there. They envisioned a tiny federal government with very few permanent residents of the District of Columbia. Right now, D.C. residents pay federal income tax, but they do not have representation in the federal parliament. The phrase "no taxation without representation" comes to mind.

What's more, D.C. residents are subject to selective service. More D.C. residents have fought and died in American wars than the residents of a number of states. What makes those states more deserving of statehood than the District? Nothing.

I don't really care if D.C. is declared a state or not, but it should obviously have representation in the House of Representatives [one congressperson] and the U.S. Senate [two senators].

Took the words right out of my mouth.

PennSkinsFan
07-21-2004, 01:52 PM
They didn't think anyone would live there. They envisioned a tiny federal government with very few permanent residents of the District of Columbia. Right now, D.C. residents pay federal income tax, but they do not have representation in the federal parliament. The phrase "no taxation without representation" comes to mind.

True, very true.

Minnesota Mike
07-21-2004, 02:09 PM
I'm kind of ambivalent about statehood for Puerto Rico, and DC for that matter.

I would however like to see California split in half and become two states, and have North and South Dakota recombined and be just one state.

GolfFreak
07-21-2004, 02:59 PM
I would however like to see California split in half and become two states, and have North and South Dakota recombined and be just one state.

Well I didn't expect to hear that in this thread, is this a joke? ... I voted no, no reason, but what came over me at the time.

fent
07-21-2004, 04:14 PM
don't want to have to deal with the mess of buying more desks for the senate or redesigning the flag or reapportioning/increasing the membership of the house...basically, i'm against it cause i'm feeling lazy at the moment...get me in an ambitious moment and i'd say yes

rskinsfan10
07-21-2004, 04:23 PM
Not Before DC.

My sentiments.

Agrawog
07-22-2004, 12:20 PM
I worked in Puerto Rico on a project a few years ago when they were having a vote on this very topic. So, curious as I am, I asked every Puerto Rican I ran into what they thought from professionals to laborers to hotel maids. The feelings are strong and the vote is split but do you know what was a significant hurdle for many people: Olympic teams.

They want to have their own Olympic sports teams (they are baseball mad) and if they became part of the U.S. they would lose that. Can you believe that? That was important to them? It was. One guy said he would accept statehood only if their teams were kept separate, otherwise he wanted to go independent.

You never know what is going to be important to people.

Axegrinder
07-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Doesn't this come up every couple of years?To my understanding,they vote no because they want the territorial privilages without the sacrifices[taxes...].
I voted yes,but it's up to them.