PDA

View Full Version : Battle for starting Center Update

PennSkinsFan
08-02-2004, 08:07 AM
Her eis the first tidbit to come out of camp on the status of this battle:

"Lennie Friedman, who started eight games at center last season, is playing first string after mostly working as a reserve behind Cory Raymer in the offseason. Line coach Joe Bugel said no decisions have been made and that the spot should get healthy competition during the preseason.
"Lenny's probably one of the smartest kids I've coached for a long time," Bugel said of the Duke graduate. "I think a natural position for him is center. We're very pleased with him. We have two excellent centers with him and Raymer." ...

Spence
08-02-2004, 08:10 AM
One of the few spots that will see a real competition. For Raymer, the biggest challenge is always staying healthy.

Patrick
08-02-2004, 08:12 AM
One of the few spots that will see a real competition. For Raymer, the biggest challenge is always staying healthy.

Yep - it's the only thing that will stop him from starting.

tommahawk
08-02-2004, 08:12 AM
Raymer is getting real old so I am glad to hear such praise for Friedman. Lennie just needs experience at center to be real good I think.

IowaSkinsFan
08-02-2004, 08:48 AM
IMO, the performance of the line was much better after Friedman took over for Larry Moore last season, so I don't know that he needs much more experience than what he has now.

bosshog001
08-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Raymer is getting real old so I am glad to hear such praise for Friedman. Lennie just needs experience at center to be real good I think.

I wouldn't say Raymer is Way old, just had a few bad breaks with injuries. He's a tough ballplayer.

LATrueRedskin
08-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Good deal. Whoever comes out the starter at center will definately have earned it, and he'll be at the top of his game.

davaj
08-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Agreed. If Raymer stays healthy he's a monster. Possible pro-bowler with Portis playing off of him.

davaj
08-02-2004, 12:19 PM
Agreed. If Raymer stays healthy he's a monster. Possible pro-bowler with Portis playing off of him.
Does Buges name starters here?
todays quotes: (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/2004/skins_quotes_aug2.html)

redwolf1218
08-02-2004, 12:28 PM
Does Buges name starters here?
todays quotes: (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/2004/skins_quotes_aug2.html)
"You take Samuels and Jansen, Randy Thomas and Dockery and Lennie Friedman, that's five real good football players."
it sure does sound like it.

whistleandthumb
08-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Regardless of who get's the starting job, we're going to have an EXTREMELY good, reliable back up in place. Very few teams have that luxury, and often teams fall apart when offensive linemen get hurt.