PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs-Portis Conection

Kope65
08-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Some thoughts on Portis and his fit in this offense. We need to remember that for his first two years he played on coach Gibbs team- Alex Gibbs; Denver's ex o-line coach.

I would bet a lot of beers there was some detailed and in- depth conversations between the Gibbs brothers about CPs strengths and weaknesses.

IMO Gibbs knows what he is doing and hiding what he wants to hide and showing what he wants to show in regards to the running game. Gibbs will adapt to the talent he has- Portis. Do not be suprised if we see a totally different offense than we did during Gibbs I.
We will run the ball well but it will be as it best suits his players.

Bottom line: Portis will own this year. Gibbs has lots of info on him and knows exactly what he has.

sidebars: The result of Alex Gibbs going to atlanta:

Mike Shannahan after 3rd week in a row of sub 100 yards rushing offense: "We have got to run the football better"

Mike Vick after rushing for 2 TDs and throwing for 2 Tds: "When our half backs are getting 5 yards a carry it really opens things up for me...the line is really blowing guys off the ball"

Jimskin
08-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Agreed. Portis will dominate under Gibbs' offense. It wont start in preseason, but come day 1 against Tampa we'll all see it!

HAIL!!!

IMALILTEAPOT
08-19-2004, 06:32 PM
i think one of the reasons why portis did so well(and he could do better) in denver was because of the thin air. They dont make much of it, but i have heard a lot of players say that the thin air can make u tired easily. Portis was able to condidtion himself better than the opposing teams, and maybe thats why he always had those long runs at home. Now that he is in an area that isnt so thin, he can maybe have more energy and do BETTER.

PA Skins Girl
08-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Alex Gibbs is Joe Gibbs's brother? I didn't realize that.

whistleandthumb
08-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Alex Gibbs is Joe Gibbs's brother? I didn't realize that.
Neither did I. I thought it was just coincidence.

I agree about Portis not showing up till Week 1. Gibbs has said that he told Portis not to go all out in the preseason. I think we'll see about a 150 yard performance against Tampa.

PA Skins Girl
08-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Alex Gibbs is Joe Gibbs's brother? I didn't realize that.Actually, I'm pretty sure they are not brothers. I think I read some time back that there was no relation.

LATrueRedskin
08-19-2004, 07:19 PM
I don't think they're brothers either. But its always good news to hear about Portis!!

Kope65
08-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Dont know where I heard it but I was sure I had. Cannot confirm it now. DELETE THREAD =)

Sorry folks

Axegrinder
08-19-2004, 09:08 PM
I don't think they're brothers either. But its always good news to hear about Portis!!
If they were siblings they'd be the Brothers Gibbs.The new BeeGee's!

sdredskinsfan
08-19-2004, 11:23 PM
I'm glad CP is with the redskins, so he can be reunited with his brother Paul Portis (back-up lineman).

CowboyKilla
08-20-2004, 01:16 AM
Both the "Brothers Gibbs" learned their craft from "The Great Grizzly Gibbs" from Gibbsonton, PA.

BledBrgndy&Gld
08-20-2004, 06:45 AM
they are not related

IowaSkinsFan
08-20-2004, 06:46 AM
Actually, I'm pretty sure they are not brothers. I think I read some time back that there was no relation.

You are correct PA. There is no relation between Joe and Alex Gibbs.

CowboyKilla
08-20-2004, 11:49 PM
Really?