PDA

View Full Version : Winey gets flipped by the Jints

IowaSkinsFan
08-25-2004, 08:55 AM
Brandon Winey has signed with the Jints. Intelligence sources believe he will give the coaching staff there a glimps into Joe Gibbs' playbook.

Source (http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20040825-125213-4279r.htm)

Gibbs' efforts at schematic secrecy took a hit Monday when tackle Brandon Winey signed with the New York Giants, Washington's Week 2 opponent. The Redskins have been purposely clandestine this preseason, running vanilla schemes in games and kicking reporters out of practice. But some in the organization believe the Giants and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the Redskins' opening foe, were eyeing Winey for a peek at the playbook. ...

ihatedallas
08-25-2004, 09:04 AM
imagine how winey must feel...he just got hired for the playbook.He couldnt have learned that much anyway could he?He was cut before training camp right?

IowaSkinsFan
08-25-2004, 09:04 AM
imagine how winey must feel...he just got hired for the playbook.He couldnt have learned that much anyway could he?He was cut before training camp right?

As bad as their O line is, Winey has a chance to play a bunch there this season.

smoak
08-25-2004, 09:05 AM
i am a tiny bit worried, but most people knew what gibbs was going to do in his first stint and they couldn't stop it...

smoak
08-25-2004, 09:06 AM
As bad as their O line is, Winey has a chance to play a bunch there this season.

i think winey could start for the jints.

IowaSkinsFan
08-25-2004, 09:07 AM
If he doesn't at least make that team, then they (the Jints) have no appreciation for how bad their O line is.

frenchskinsfan
08-25-2004, 09:10 AM

I think he's got enough of time to learn the PB basics before TC, at least he talked and worked with Buges and the remaining of the line on the blocking schemes. I don't like it anytime a redskin leaves to a division opp team just before the beginning of the season, but that's NFL.

That won't bother Gibbs and Buges so much though I believe, they'll keep up the good work and bring the adequate gameplan for the gints games.

And the gints will definitely need to cheat a little bit with Winey to avoid huge blows against the redskins. They're gonna loose anyway.

lsuredskin
08-25-2004, 09:20 AM
It doesn't matter at all. When Gibbs was coaching before people knew what was coming and couldn't stop it anyway. Just ask Denver when we played them in the Super Bowl.

redwolf1218
08-25-2004, 09:26 AM
It doesn't matter at all. When Gibbs was coaching before people knew what was coming and couldn't stop it anyway. Just ask Denver when we played them in the Super Bowl.
actually, the amazing thing about that Denver Superbowl, was that we played a different game plan than the rest of the season. if you watch the NFL highlight film of it, they mention the deep crossing and post patterns by the receivers as being "new", and the surprise play of speedy unknown running back Timmy Smith, all by design to take advantage of a lack of speed in Denver's secondary. pretty amazing that Gibbs could hold something up his sleeve all the way until the end and devise a gameplan like that. there were times before with Theisman and Riggo where it seemed like Joe could have pointed to the line and said "we are going to run right there" and no one could stop it. you could hear Joe yelling out the same play over and over at the line against miami in the superbowl and they still couldnt stop it.

Jon Creveling
08-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Come on guys, didn't we go through this with Wilbert Brown last year? IST GEHEIM? Spys? Truth is he probably can't tell them anything of true importance, this spy-insider secret crap is always overblown. Speaking as the guys only fan on this site, you'd think he would make the Jints team, I had hoped the kid would be looked at by the Rams, Turly may be done and Pace is still home, I had thought they'd give him a shot. I checked a Rams board and they were bitching about their line already. I wish Winey well but damn,,,,the Jints???

PennSkinsFan
08-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Who cares. Is Gibbs not the master of adaption?

NamVet4
08-25-2004, 09:58 AM
Who cares. Is Gibbs not the master of adaption?
'Nuff said and well said Birthday Boy !!!!! :D

split3clemente
08-25-2004, 10:34 AM
I think winey could end up starting for them later on in the season, he looked pretty good last year for us

SkinsForLife
08-25-2004, 10:39 AM
I'm not worried about him revealing secrets. Gibbs knows what Winey was taught, and that was probably limited. This could be to our advantage, although this might be a stretch of the imagination. Bugel might know a lot of Winey's weaknesses, so if Winey starts for the Jints they could be in trouble.

dj_stouty
08-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Gibbs knows that about 40% of the players in camp who look at his "playbook" won't be on the team, by week 1. He knows the risks...

I wonder just how much of the playbook a backup tackle actually gets to see.

GolfFreak
08-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Gibbs knows that about 40% of the players in camp who look at his "playbook" won't be on the team, by week 1. He knows the risks...

I wonder just how much of the playbook a backup tackle actually gets to see.

Very true ... Winey isn't the only guy who has seen the playbook. I don't think this hurts us.

redwolf1218
08-25-2004, 10:51 AM
i dont think he can take many damaging secrets with him. i think it will take a while for Gibbs to open up the whole playbook and each week will be a different game plan for a different team anyway.

dj_stouty
08-25-2004, 11:27 AM
i dont think he can take many damaging secrets with him. i think it will take a while for Gibbs to open up the whole playbook and each week will be a different game plan for a different team anyway.

LOL...if Whiny couldn't perform under this offensive system, how does one expect him to "describe it" to his new team? :D

PA Skins Girl
08-25-2004, 11:35 AM
I read some time ago that there wasn't really an elaborate playbook, so to speak. Mostly, the players were taking notes.

whitskins
08-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Gibbs could mail the freaking Giants a nicely wrapped copy of the entire playbook and those ass clowns still wouldn't be able to stop it. The Giants are a five win team at best and a certified PUHHHHHHH.

WHIT

Skins57
08-25-2004, 11:46 AM
I see nothing to worry about. This happens every year.

Carmelo
08-25-2004, 11:50 AM
Anyone ever heard of a double agent? If gibbs knows exactly what this kid knows then he could use that information against them. What you THINK you know could be very dangerous. I don't like the idea and I think the giants were smart in doing so. They need the help on the oline and sun tzu says intelligence is the key to war.

On the other hand, does anyone remember the last game? When they first ran the sweep, that was the first time they ran it all preseason. The announcers said it was a new play. Each week Gibbs installs new offensive plays. He knows he's going to lose people and he's putting in more of his offense the closer he gets to the season. He still has to cut MANY people and he knows this. I think he's prepared.

IowaSkinsFan
08-25-2004, 12:09 PM
I see nothing to worry about. This happens every year.

Neither do I.....I just wanted to use the word "flipped" in a thread in this context. Heard it on NYPD Blue two season ago and wanted to use it ever since.

JoeJacksonTaylor28
08-25-2004, 12:18 PM
I think Gibbs will be using a lot of plays specially designed for some teams, and Whiney will not be able to know which ones he know will be used against the Giants. Hey! Maybe only Gibbs and Buges know for sure!

LadyNRedskinsfan
08-25-2004, 02:14 PM
didnt one player say that gibbs hasnt even put in all the plays yet? im not worried...

Thanks to Gibbs' popularity, there appear to be some crowd control issues that need to be addressed for 2005. Nearly 20,000 spectators attended Fan Appreciation Day, and club officials are considering holding that event at FedEx Field in the future.

the redskins officials must read this board. i suggested this immediately after FAD. i hope they do it. i think we could fill the stadium......

colkurtz
08-25-2004, 06:05 PM
hmmmmmmmmm........... We cut Brandon Winey early in our pre-season AND after losing Jansen. Obviously there was something they did not like about him.

What does that say about their OL to take such an early cast-off?

Axegrinder
08-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Knowing the plays and stopping them are 2 different things.
Do any of you older folks remember the movie BillyJack?
Well....BillyJack said,"I'm going to put this foot[points to his foot], on that side of your face[points to the other side of the mans face]....and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.BillyJack was right!