PDA

View Full Version : starting safeties

RedskinRyan
08-27-2004, 09:19 AM
is it going to be sean taylor at FS and matt bowen at SS? from what i understand, nobody else has played good at the safety spot aside from taylor and todd franz. is franz worthy enough of starting, or are they sticking with bowen as originally planned?

ihatedallas
08-27-2004, 09:21 AM
I think they will start bowen and if he doesnt play well franz will get his shot,as for taylor thats a shoe-in

IowaSkinsFan
08-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Bowen will be there.

smoak
08-27-2004, 09:43 AM
bowen has played much better since the HOF game... but he still seems to be a back up IMO. hopefully he'll play well this season and benefit from being moved back to SS.

IMALILTEAPOT
08-27-2004, 09:54 AM
i think bowen is better than people think. Our safeties should be exciting to see, and Bowen can now focus on the run a little more, cause before, he was a free safety, and they tend to usually look for the pass more. Bowen is a hard hitter and run stopper, so strong safety fits him very well IMO. We have two headhunters back there so it should be exciting

frenchskinsfan
08-27-2004, 10:02 AM
is it going to be sean taylor at FS and matt bowen at SS? from what i understand, nobody else has played good at the safety spot aside from taylor and todd franz. is franz worthy enough of starting, or are they sticking with bowen as originally planned?

I think Taylor and Bowen will start, Taylor will last 2 series to a quarter, Bowen a little more, Then T Franz approx the same time, then the remainder of the crew (A Lott, D Willliams).

GolfFreak
08-27-2004, 10:07 AM
Sounds like we have some good depth at Saftey even with Iffy gone, espeically since we still have Lott. I'd say Taylor & Bowen start this year.

IndianBaller27
08-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Bowen and Taylor.

redwolf1218
08-27-2004, 10:58 AM
bowen and taylor for now, but i'd like to draft a strong safety. you could probably get an awesome one in the middle rounds.

dj_stouty
08-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Until Taylor gets a few "real games" under his belt, Bowen will still be considered our team's best hitter. He is known around the league for laying people out.

I want opposing wide receivers to FEAR the middle of the field when the come to Fed Ex. Taylor and Bowen will provide that fear.

smoak
08-27-2004, 11:43 AM
Until Taylor gets a few "real games" under his belt, Bowen will still be considered our team's best hitter. He is known around the league for laying people out.

I want opposing wide receivers to FEAR the middle of the field when the come to Fed Ex. Taylor and Bowen will provide that fear.

the problem is (and i do like bowen) i never really see bowen's big hits in games. i watch tape and taylor is at least always around the ball. bowen often comes into the picture after the ball carrier is down.

dj_stouty
08-27-2004, 12:01 PM
the problem is (and i do like bowen) i never really see bowen's big hits in games. i watch tape and taylor is at least always around the ball. bowen often comes into the picture after the ball carrier is down.

I'm not worried about big hits in preseason...

But you did see his big hits last season, right? He is one of the few defensemen in the league who deck people with flying forearms. I love it!

#1SkInSfAn
08-27-2004, 12:19 PM
i think bowen is better than people think. Our safeties should be exciting to see, and Bowen can now focus on the run a little more, cause before, he was a free safety, and they tend to usually look for the pass more. Bowen is a hard hitter and run stopper, so strong safety fits him very well IMO. We have two headhunters back there so it should be exciting
I agree I watched almost everygame last year and the man has tremendous speed and he is in on a good amount of tackles in the secondary he just needs a little work on his pass coverage.... I was at the saints game last year and he actually chased down duece Mcallister and laid a decent hit on him and there were no other gold jerseys in the area...

NCskinsfanatic
08-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Bowen was simply playing out of position last year IMHO. He looked lost in space and doesnt seem to have the speed or ballhawking instincts of a Sean Taylor, he will be a much better fit at SS. He does posess better coverage skills than Shade, or Ohalete(last few SSs) and his forte coming from GB was playing the run and delivering big hits. I think he will play above average at SS in this D as long as the corner infront of him stays healthy and the D-line, combined with the LBs, generates a decent amount of pressure.

IMALILTEAPOT
08-27-2004, 02:21 PM
i see our safties being on sportscenter a lot with big hits under greg williams' scheme

JoeJacksonTaylor28
08-27-2004, 03:38 PM
I think there's no question.... There should be Taylor and Bowen roaming the field... I'm still a doubter about Lott and Franz.

AGibbsGirl
08-27-2004, 03:44 PM
I think...that those of you that know AGG, know that I (of all people) do not have to tell you how I feel about Bowen.

Bowen and Taylor

BTW This is the most positive thread I've ever read about Matt Bowen, usually you guys are pretty down on him.

JoeJacksonTaylor28
08-27-2004, 03:45 PM
I think...that those of you that know AGG, know that I (of all people) do not have to tell you how I feel about Bowen.

Bowen and Taylor

BTW This is the most positive thread I've ever read about Matt Bowen, usually you guys are pretty down on him.
About Matt "Bad Angle" Bowen??? No way!! We love him!!! :)

:kidding:

AGibbsGirl
08-27-2004, 03:50 PM
About Matt "Bad Angle" Bowen??? No way!! We love him!!! :)

:kidding:

don't make me come back there

JoeJacksonTaylor28
08-27-2004, 03:54 PM
don't make me come back there
Sorry mom.... :)

RedskinRyan
08-27-2004, 09:03 PM
if bowen is gonna start, why isnt he? lott got the nod at ss again.

NCskinsfanatic
08-27-2004, 09:23 PM
He got the nod but appeared to be nodding off the best I could tell, the only thing that saved him was Taylor being on the field and Holt toying with Smoot. I wasnt impressed.

AGibbsGirl
08-27-2004, 09:35 PM
I'm off to bed guys, well, to watch the game in comfort! see ya in the AM

LATrueRedskin
08-27-2004, 10:00 PM
I see no reason why Bowen shouldn't be starting. He's shown nothing to why he should be demoted. Bowen and Taylor sounds good to me.

Ramsey2Moss
08-27-2004, 10:40 PM
it was taylor and lott for tonight...

sdredskinsfan
08-27-2004, 10:48 PM

After tonite's game I would try starting Taylor and Franz.

RedskinRyan
08-28-2004, 08:42 AM
yeah, bowen looked really basd in the HOF game, and i havent seen him do enough to say "i deserve the starting SS spot". meanwhile, franz has been making plays, so i would go with him irhgt now too, even if he doesnt have much playing time. unless we find a saefty get cut, i think thats what could happen.