PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season Defense Grades and Preview

PennSkinsFan
09-08-2004, 10:54 AM
DEFENSIVE PREVIEW (http://www.hailredskins.com/04DefensePreview.htm)

TexSkin
09-08-2004, 11:07 AM
ouch kinda harsh on the Dline but probably true hehe

redwolf1218
09-08-2004, 11:19 AM
good read. i thought sure we'd keep more than 4 corners. i'm very surprised, especially with jimoh as the fourth. i was on the garnell wilds bandwagon for a while there until he struggled in the atlanta game with a few penalties. i wonder if there is a plan in place to call up rufus brown or wilds off the PS and onto the active roster if needed. i think to do that they'd have to release someone and hope they clear waivers before adding them onto the PS.

Skinzaholic
09-08-2004, 11:52 AM
I have actually read several much kinder reports regarding the D-line and specifically Griffin. I really think this is up int he air and no one knows for sure. Is it a weakness for our team? YES. How much of a weaknss? Too hard to tell. On defense we have so many unknowns regardig production that it is hard to pinpoint how they will do. Will they generate enough pass ruh to impact? If not - can the LB's contribute? Will Springs hold up? On and on they go. If anything - I think watching how the defense gels will prove to be the key to the season. If they work well together then we could see some success after all.

redwolf1218
09-08-2004, 12:05 PM
Rome wasnt built in a day right? we are just a few key adjustments/additions/free agents/draft picks short and we couldnt get all the bases covered at once. this year in the draft we took (2) O tackles and an hback and on D addressed only the glaring hole at safety left by the departure of david terrel (ugh) and the miscast bowen/iffy combo. i agree that marcus washington was the best pick up. maybe next year in the draft we address some of the needs along the D line and possibly middle linebacker and corner.

colkurtz
09-08-2004, 12:16 PM
Good review! I think the biggest addition/change for our defense is Greg Williams. He is a master defensive coach and will get every ounce of performance out of this group. I agree with the assessment of the DL, but IMHO there were just too many other holes to fix this off-season. You can't get pro-bowlers for every position and i agree with Redwolfe- we are just a few key players from bringing this defensive squad to the top of the NFL.

Although I think the Redskins defense will only be better than average, it is a vast improvement over last year's horror show.

Redblood
09-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Good review! I think the biggest addition/change for our defense is Greg Williams. He is a master defensive coach and will get every ounce of performance out of this group. I agree with the assessment of the DL, but IMHO there were just too many other holes to fix this off-season. You can't get pro-bowlers for every position and i agree with Redwolfe- we are just a few key players from bringing this defensive squad to the top of the NFL.

Although I think the Redskins defense will only be better than average, it is a vast improvement over last year's horror show.

Better than average. A 12th ranked "D" or above, would give us a winning record.

skins111111
09-08-2004, 12:54 PM
good read and I too agree with most of what was said except the D-Line.....
hey if we can stop the run and popular oppinion is our D-Line is much better than average at doing that especially with a little help from Barrow......let Daniels and Wynn put a little pressure on the QB and let our LBs and secondary take care of the rest

Seebs
09-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Little harsh on the Dline, but the haven't prove anything yet!

RedskinRyan
09-08-2004, 02:22 PM
i think the defensive backs are a B. preliminary grades, we cant take into account that springs will get hurt. not to mention sean taylor really brings it up. and the defensive line is the truth until proven otherwise.