PDA

View Full Version : No More Excuses!!!

Skins4life
10-04-2004, 07:41 AM
Ok - 7 turnovers hurt you, but that's part of the game. Bad officiating hurts you, but that's part of the game. Headsets going out for 2 quarters hurts you, but that's part of the game. I don't want to hear people blaming the headset malfunction on why we lost this game. The truth is, we are a football team with a new coach, a new system, and we are struggling. Will Joe find a way to get it done? Yes. Will we go to the playoffs? Only time will tell. But I will tell everyone this: Last year we were 3-1 and we all said "finally, this is it!!" - but then we lost 10 out of the last 12 games. I don't want to take a trip down memory lane, but we are still here. The fans are still here. FEDEX is still here. Don't walk away from your team. Don't make excuses. This team will rebound. I know we are frustrated, we all are. We have had 12 years of getting crap from all of our friends. (even people that we do not know that come up to us on the street when we are wearing Burgandy and Gold and think it's ok to start dogging my team.) MY team., OUR Team. After all, we have been through 12 years of hell. Give Joe time, I mean after 12 years, doesn't a few more months seem like a brief minute? I am a season ticket holder. I will be there sreaming and yelling on every play, in every game. I plan my life around Sundays. OUR TEAM NEEDS US!!!! No excuses, just be patient, and be a fan!!

frankez99
10-04-2004, 07:57 AM
Ok - 7 turnovers hurt you, but that's part of the game. Bad officiating hurts you, but that's part of the game. Headsets going out for 2 quarters hurts you, but that's part of the game. I don't want to hear people blaming the headset malfunction on why we lost this game. The truth is, we are a football team with a new coach, a new system, and we are struggling. Will Joe find a way to get it done? Yes. Will we go to the playoffs? Only time will tell. But I will tell everyone this: Last year we were 3-1 and we all said "finally, this is it!!" - but then we lost 10 out of the last 12 games. I don't want to take a trip down memory lane, but we are still here. The fans are still here. FEDEX is still here. Don't walk away from your team. Don't make excuses. This team will rebound. I know we are frustrated, we all are. We have had 12 years of getting crap from all of our friends. (even people that we do not know that come up to us on the street when we are wearing Burgandy and Gold and think it's ok to start dogging my team.) MY team., OUR Team. After all, we have been through 12 years of hell. Give Joe time, I mean after 12 years, doesn't a few more months seem like a brief minute? I am a season ticket holder. I will be there sreaming and yelling on every play, in every game. I plan my life around Sundays. OUR TEAM NEEDS US!!!! No excuses, just be patient, and be a fan!!

Preach on brother. Sure....1-3 stinks...but I think expectations are WAY to high in peoples eyes. New coaches, new rb, new qb, and a revamped def...add that to a team that had 5 wins last year. We have to take our losses w/ a grain of salt folks. We need to keep things in perspective. Going 8-8 w/ out a whole team turnover of personnel will be my "super bowl" this year. Small victories (i.e. IMPROVEMENT/CONSISTANCY) people...small victories. Hail.....

REDMAN
10-04-2004, 07:58 AM
I can do live with that!

joethefan
10-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Preach on brother. Sure....1-3 stinks...but I think expectations are WAY to high in peoples eyes. New coaches, new rb, new qb, and a revamped def...add that to a team that had 5 wins last year. We have to take our losses w/ a grain of salt folks. We need to keep things in perspective. Going 8-8 w/ out a whole team turnover of personnel will be my "super bowl" this year. Small victories (i.e. IMPROVEMENT/CONSISTANCY) people...small victories. Hail.....

Very good post!!! Finally someone with a rational mind here....I would be happy with 8-8 and three division wins...!and all the other things you mentioned.

wewantdallas
10-04-2004, 08:19 AM
I just have so much pent up frustration ready to burst, and it's been kept at bay for about 12 years now.

Here's my Sunday. In the morning, I go out to a flea market with my wife, wearing my Redskins patch on my jean jacket. A guy comes up to me, points at the patch and says, "Do they pay you to wear that?"

Turns out, he was, of course, a Dallas fan, and he had to rub it in about Monday. "It's all in fun," he said. Yeah, right. Not for me. After all, what can I possibly say to him? They've owned us. The only thing I can do is bring up games from 20 years ago, like the NFC Championship games. Those memories will be great forever, but we ALL need some new ones. Then, to add insult to injury, the team lays another egg against a team they should've beaten. Even now, here in my office, I can hear some a-hole mocking another Skins fan and laughing about Joe Gibbs.

This same pattern, year after year, is so, so frustrating for those of us who bleed this team's colors. I just don't know what the answer is. Guess there's nothing we CAN do except stay the course and "keep hope alive." I'm confident we have the right coach - I just wonder how you motivate multi-millionaires to have the same sort of passion for their team as we fans do. They get paid the same, win or lose.

But man, I miss the ability to cite a recent example as a reason why I have pride in my team. I think we're all getting tired of talking about "the glory years" of the past. I just hope Gibbs can get this ship righted and restore a winning mentality to this team and this town.

PGiddy18
10-04-2004, 08:36 AM
I just have so much pent up frustration ready to burst, and it's been kept at bay for about 12 years now.

Here's my Sunday. In the morning, I go out to a flea market with my wife, wearing my Redskins patch on my jean jacket. A guy comes up to me, points at the patch and says, "Do they pay you to wear that?"

Turns out, he was, of course, a Dallas fan, and he had to rub it in about Monday. "It's all in fun," he said. Yeah, right. Not for me. After all, what can I possibly say to him? They've owned us. The only thing I can do is bring up games from 20 years ago, like the NFC Championship games. Those memories will be great forever, but we ALL need some new ones. Then, to add insult to injury, the team lays another egg against a team they should've beaten. Even now, here in my office, I can hear some a-hole mocking another Skins fan and laughing about Joe Gibbs.

This same pattern, year after year, is so, so frustrating for those of us who bleed this team's colors. I just don't know what the answer is. Guess there's nothing we CAN do except stay the course and "keep hope alive." I'm confident we have the right coach - I just wonder how you motivate multi-millionaires to have the same sort of passion for their team as we fans do. They get paid the same, win or lose.

But man, I miss the ability to cite a recent example as a reason why I have pride in my team. I think we're all getting tired of talking about "the glory years" of the past. I just hope Gibbs can get this ship righted and restore a winning mentality to this team and this town.

WWD, believe me babe, I feel your pain. I haven't been a fan as long as the majority of you, but i still feel the pain. I live in EAGLES country. I hear it when I walk out into the hall. I wear my jersey around campus and people heckle me! The good thing about living in eagles country is i just simply say "count the rings". There usually isn't anything that trumps that, but its so frustrating. The amount of fans here can be counted on one hand. And they are even starting to turn (which breaks my heart).

Let me go talk to these guys. Let me tell them why they need to put 100% out EVERYTIME, how NOT to give up, and how to give the fans something to cheer about. We've been behind them through what has been a very rough time. Its time they pay us back and give us a reason to keep cheering. Please don't misconstrue this last sentence, I'm NOT going to stop cheering. Nothing can stop me from cheering. But I want something to cheer about, instead of dissecting the game and looking for something to be "pleased with" or "the bright side". The ENTIRE GAME should be the "bright side". And its time we are shown WHY they boys get paid the millions they do.

lrking75
10-04-2004, 08:42 AM
I hear a lot of people talking about the redskins are just learning eachother. New QB, RB, DB's among others. People are saying 8-8 would be an upgrade for this team. That may be the case but let me ask you all something? If our team isnt built to win this year, why is Brunnell our starting QB?? Does anyone think that Brunnell will start next year and last through another season? If we are just trying to gel as a team, and we are willing to settle for 8-8, or 9-7 than why aren't we putting in our future QB(Ramsey) in there and give him the oppertunity to thrive in this offense to dominate next year. I don't understand this plan. But if the redskins are built to win this year than we are in a lot of trouble and it starts with the coaches and there decisions. And there decision to stick with a over-rated 34y/o QB, who probably won't last the year or the next isn't wise. Im not happy with our teams decision making right now.

PennSkinsFan
10-04-2004, 08:46 AM
Whenever you have 30 players brand new to a system and roster, it takes time to get the machine callibrated just right. There are several things hurting the team. Penalties are rampant, alot of illegal shifts (proof that players are still gettinmg used to the scheme), turnovers are killing us (and they are happening from guys that need to make plays, not break them), and Gibbs needs to grow more confidence in operting his system in todays NFL. The play calling has lacked, the clock management has been horrendous.

The team needs to become more familairy with what Gibbs is trying to do, and Gibbs need to become more confident and familair with the NFL, 20 years older.

Skins4life
10-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Key people giving the ball away is right. Coles/Portis - they are the $ men and they literally dropped the ball. No huge hits. Just dropped the ball.

kfn-nfce
10-04-2004, 09:04 AM
I could live with a 8-8 season, the problem is right now we still like last years 5-11 team. The excuse about new players and scheme is tired, the Giants are almost in the same Position(minus Gibbs returning to the game) but they are winning and playing well, and unlike us not shooting themselves in the shoot.

kfn-nfce
10-04-2004, 09:13 AM
Whenever you have 30 players brand new to a system and roster, it takes time to get the machine callibrated just right. There are several things hurting the team. Penalties are rampant, alot of illegal shifts (proof that players are still gettinmg used to the scheme), turnovers are killing us (and they are happening from guys that need to make plays, not break them), and Gibbs needs to grow more confidence in operting his system in todays NFL. The play calling has lacked, the clock management has been horrendous.

The team needs to become more familairy with what Gibbs is trying to do, and Gibbs need to become more confident and familair with the NFL, 20 years older.
The Giants are in the same situation and they are not making the same mistake as us, and we are ten times more talented than that team, so please spare me the learning the scheme excuse.I'm tired of looking for the positives in the game i just want to celebrate a W

PennSkinsFan
10-04-2004, 09:33 AM
The Giants are in the same situation and they are not making the same mistake as us, and we are ten times more talented than that team, so please spare me the learning the scheme excuse.I'm tired of looking for the positives in the game i just want to celebrate a W

Get tired all you want, but fact i fact, and No the Giants did nto have a 30 person turnover.

LATrueRedskin
10-04-2004, 10:32 AM
When the Skins won their last Super Bowl, I was 7 years old. This "1 playoff in 11 years" is all that I know. I don't have any "glory years". We haven't been consistent at all. That consistentcy starts now. We're laying the ground plan, and they'll be bumps along the way. Man, it'll be sweet when we emerge from the bottom of the pack.

RedskinRyan
10-04-2004, 10:38 AM
there are no excuses as to why we lost that game. the loss of use of a head set didnt cause portis and coles to fumble(i dont care what anyone says, that was a catch/fumble).

BandWagon
10-04-2004, 01:31 PM
I could live with a 8-8 season, the problem is right now we still like last years 5-11 team. The excuse about new players and scheme is tired, the Giants are almost in the same Position(minus Gibbs returning to the game) but they are winning and playing well, and unlike us not shooting themselves in the shoot.

Exactly my point...what's going on in NY that's different....somehow they've been winning games....

smoak
10-04-2004, 01:44 PM

WWD -

you and i sound a lot alike my friend. words can not express how frustrated and angry i am. if there is one thing that is worse than the eagles fans coming over to laugh at the game while we're trying to make a comeback, it is the other two skins fans at the bar (one was a season ticket holder) that spent more time skipping out for a smoke or checking on their fantasy team. then everyone looks at me like i am the weirdo when i throw popcorn (at the floor) after coles fumbles away the game.

i'm tired of hurting every monday morning, and i am tired of everyone and their sister taking shots at the redskins. i'm tired of the turnovers. i'm tired of "fans" that don't seem to care...

but in the end... when we get that fourth lombardi, it'll feel that much better to have gone through the bad times. i'll appreciate the good times so much more...

lakeskin
10-04-2004, 01:59 PM
As fans we cant make excuses. We can only point to reasons as to why a team lost. Only the players and coaches--people directly involved in the outcome of a game-- can.

With that being said I think it encouraging to see the players and coaches putting the blame on themselves and not making excuses. I saw sportsnite last night and every guy interviewed was accountable. They would allude to excuses but in the end they all shouldered the blame for the loss. Coles, Portis, Taylor, all said they need to step up and start making plays. That shows great character and bodes well for the coming weeks. 12 games is a lot and the character theses guys show in disappointing losses can only translate into glorious wins.

"Remeber that hope is a good thing, Redskin fan, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

smoak
10-04-2004, 02:23 PM
what makes my situation worse is that i don't have any fellow redskins fans to watch/discuss football with in this eagles territory. that is why despite having a TON of work, i had to come here for a bit.

jonesy
10-04-2004, 03:12 PM
being tested. Gibbs is being tested, he is either up for it or he is not. This will be interesting to see how his experiment to see "if you can go home again" pans out.

No excuses: we lost, just keep working/playing hard and enjoy the ride...

Keino
10-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Well Said Skins4Life. Im sick of all the excuses and fingerpointing. Support the team or dont......