PDA

View Full Version : Interesting reading from Peter King

nicefellow31
10-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Most of your probably have read this already, but I thought I would post the link.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/peter_king/10/19/mmqb.te/index.html

TexSkin
10-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Hate to say it but Peter Queen is on the money about alot of our problems. I think he is dead wrong in thinking Gibbs wont get back to the Superbowl though.

PA Skins Girl
10-19-2004, 10:29 AM
How refreshing. Unbelieveable really, coming from King.

I love the quotes from Springs too. About how upbeat the team is. I feel the same way. Even though we are 2-4, I feel like our future is so bright and we are doing the right things to be successful. Stay the course guys.

NamVet4
10-19-2004, 10:35 AM
It's as free-agent-oriented as it is draft-oriented, and the Redskins just haven't done as well as they should have in either area the past few years, particularly on draft day. Of their 53-man roster, 16 players are draft picks. Only seven of their 22 starters were Washington draft picks.
And tell me Mr. "Sports Guru know-it-all", how long and how many drafts and free agent signing periods has Coach Gibbs conducted for the Washington Redskins?

He's not smarter than coaches Andy Reid or Bill Parcells in today's NFC East, and divisional cohort Tom Coughlin is a pretty bright football guy. Gibbs won't win this time around because he's outcoaching his division and his league. He needs excellent drafting this time around, which Washington just doesn't have.

Same question as above, Mr. "I have the answer for Everything".

This clown is as bad as some fans, “Instantaneous Gratification” comes to mind! Win it now or never win! What a Moron!!!!

nicefellow31
10-19-2004, 11:46 AM
If you listen to some media critics, they would have you believe that in the 1st Joe Gibbs era, all of the other coaches in the division were a bunch of dummies. Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, & Bill Parcells certainly were not outsmarted a lot. Landry is a Hall of Famer, Parcells will be, and Johnson certainly will get some consideration. Dick Vermil coached the Eagles for Gibbs first two seasons and Buddy Ryan's Eagles were very competitive. Gene Stallings and two of Gibbs confidants, Joe Bugel and Jim Hanifan, coached the Cardinals during that era. If Coach Gibbs could handle those Coaches during his 1st stint, then he can compete with his current rivals.

whitskins
10-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Just wrote an email to King telling him what a tool he was (respectfully) for writing that about our drafting. "You need good drafting to win and Washington just doesn't have it."

Uhh... Maybe that's because our drafts before were led by total ass clowns. Judge Gibbs after a few drafts of his own, Peter, the first of which last year was pretty darn successful I think!

He said some nice things in there but how can he judge Gibbs as being less smart that other East coaches when Andy Reid has been crafting his team for six years now and Coughlin is really a few lucky breaks from being 2-3.

Would he say the same thing if we got a few of those breaks and were 4-2?

RedskinRyan
10-19-2004, 12:29 PM
i think its a good article, but its weird to see him praise the skins, then go to knock on gibbs, then praise em again. gibbs is probably the biggest difference from last year to this year. we didnt have that attitude last year. lavar CONSTANTLY called out fellow players, and now he's calling out himself and the fans. sure gibbs shows disappointment sometimes, but you wont see him flapping his lips like spurrier did. not to mention every coach does. the giants hot start will end sometime, they just dont have the talent to keep it up, and the cowboys will continue to struggle without a rushing attack.

whistleandthumb
10-19-2004, 12:53 PM
I don't think another SB win is out of the question. We're 6 games into the new Gibbs era, and at this point in Gibbs era Part 1, most people were already writing off our Coach as a failure. If we finish strong, I think we're going to be a favorite to win it all in the next year or two. A strong finish this year, combined with the right free agent pick ups and good draft picks will really make us a dangerous team.

As many of you have pointed out, and Peter King did himself, we're better than that 2-4 record. We're a couple turnovers away from being undefeated, and I think we take that improved performance against the Bears and build on it for 2 weeks. I still see this team fighting for a playoff spot.

smoak
10-19-2004, 01:01 PM
peter king sees himself as a master prognosticator and witty writer. i find to to be the opposite at both.

Meatsnack
10-19-2004, 03:25 PM
Peter King is a good sportswriter when it comes to subjects he cares about. He cares about hazelnut lattes, his daughters' softball and field hockey games, and the Sawx. Pro football has been a means to a paycheck for him for sometime and he just doesn't put the depth and fact checking into it that he does for his hobbies. He and Zimmerman and that whole crew are less than objective and are unapologetic about it. How many misty-eyed stories about Z's youth as a Jets beat writer can a man stomach, really? They may be entertaining to read sometimes but they aren't journalists anymore, if they ever were.

skinswin'emALL
10-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Peter King is a good sportswriter when it comes to subjects he cares about. He cares about hazelnut lattes, his daughters' softball and field hockey games, and the Sawx. Pro football has been a means to a paycheck for him for sometime and he just doesn't put the depth and fact checking into it that he does for his hobbies. He and Zimmerman and that whole crew are less than objective and are unapologetic about it. How many misty-eyed stories about Z's youth as a Jets beat writer can a man stomach, really? They may be entertaining to read sometimes but they aren't journalists anymore, if they ever were.

couldn't have said it better myself...

Redskinfan28
10-19-2004, 07:47 PM
I don't think it was an anti-Gibbs article. I think he was pretty much dead on accurate.

Skinz4lyfe
10-20-2004, 12:00 AM
I think the article was pretty on target. However, I don't agree that Gibbs WILL NOT make it to the Super Bowl. He just won't make it this year. I say we just add a couple of players for depth and keep the same team (and coordinators - especially GW) and we'll be alright for the next few years. As a matter of fact, Gibbs keeps emphasizing that he's looking for a "core set of players" that he can build the team around for the long haul. Gibbs isn't in the Hall of Fame for nothing.

superskin
10-20-2004, 12:10 AM
If you listen to some media critics, they would have you believe that in the 1st Joe Gibbs era, all of the other coaches in the division were a bunch of dummies. Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, & Bill Parcells certainly were not outsmarted a lot. Landry is a Hall of Famer, Parcells will be, and Johnson certainly will get some consideration. Dick Vermil coached the Eagles for Gibbs first two seasons and Buddy Ryan's Eagles were very competitive. Gene Stallings and two of Gibbs confidants, Joe Bugel and Jim Hanifan, coached the Cardinals during that era. If Coach Gibbs could handle those Coaches during his 1st stint, then he can compete with his current rivals.

Well said. It is interesting that he chose to list coaches that were in the NFC East at the time Gibbs retired. What's the point? You're right, Nice...we are talking about a coach that defeated Don Shula, Dan Reeves, and Marv Levy in his three Super Bowl wins.