PDA

View Full Version : Brian Mitchell will Retire as a Redskin

wewantdallas
10-19-2004, 10:14 AM
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I didn't see anything on the main page here.

Listening to Brian Mitchell on Comcast's postgame coverage, he said he talked to Dan Snyder recently and had a real good conversation with him. He said he "feels a lot better" about everything now, but thinks he's done as far as playing in the NFL, as no one has called him. However, he says, without question, he wants to retire as a Redskin, because that's the team that means the most to him and Washington is his home. He said he talked to Snyder about this and they are going to work something out.

Nice move on Snyder's part. Makes my heart glad to see that Mitchell is no longer bitter towards the Skins and that Snyder was man enough to patch up the differences.

PA Skins Girl
10-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Wow, that's unbelievable, considering all the bad things he said about us when he was wearing the green and white. I would love to see him retire as a Skin. It was a travesity that we cut him for Deion.

TexSkin
10-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Honestly, I think BM knows that if he is gonna have any kind of post football career it will be with the Redskins. I am still mad at the guy for bad mouthing the Skins and the FO so badly. Now that his career is over he is trying to make nice and of course Snyder will listen because he loves the Skins. I guess this is why I defend Snyder so much from all the haters. The guy takes alot of abuse yet always tries to do whats best for the Skins.

Spence
10-19-2004, 10:21 AM
As a Redskins fan I'll be honored when Brian Mitchell retires as a Redskin. And Keino will just have to learn to live with it. ;)

LATrueRedskin
10-19-2004, 10:31 AM
Yeah I heard this too. It's great to have another Redskin in the Hall of Fame. Brian Mitchell played with such heart.

Keino
10-19-2004, 10:35 AM
As a Redskins fan I'll be honored when Brian Mitchell retires as a Redskin. And Keino will just have to learn to live with it. ;)

I don't mind B Mitch retiring as a Redskin. I don't think it very newsworthy but I don't mind. I will puke if he makes the HOF before Art Monk........

openallnight
10-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Letting Mitchell go was one of the most bone headed moves in the turner error.
I say we have his retirement ceremony at Fedex during the philly game and let Mitchell be the honorary kick and punt returner. We're gonna need some decent field position in that game.

BRAVEONAWARPATH
10-19-2004, 10:40 AM
I don't mind B Mitch retiring as a Redskin. I don't think it very newsworthy but I don't mind. I will puke if he makes the HOF before Art Monk........
No argument there Keino. In fact, I think you could make a argument
for Gary Clark being a Hall Of Famer as well.

BRAVEONAWARPATH
10-19-2004, 10:41 AM
I say we have his retirement ceremony at Fedex during the philly game and let Mitchell be the honorary kick and punt returner. We're gonna need some decent field position in that game.
LOL..LOL

GolfFreak
10-19-2004, 10:45 AM
Glad to see they worked it out, I'm glad he'll retire a Skin!

Jimreaper007
10-19-2004, 10:52 AM
That needed to be done. While he is apologizing he needs to go and give Bobby Mitchell some major props as well. I would do it myself but people always wind up dead when I visit.

:Padawan:

CarMike
10-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Wow, that's unbelievable, considering all the bad things he said about us when he was wearing the green and white. I would love to see him retire as a Skin. It was a travesity that we cut him for Deion.

They mentioned him going to Philly of all places. He said that the fans in Philly appreciate the "crazy" type of players. They laster asked about some of the things he said about the Redskins. His comment, "What was I supposed to say? Did I mean what I was saying? No. But I was just released....". [paraphrasing of course]

I'm very happy that he will retire as a Redskin.

wewantdallas
10-19-2004, 11:12 AM

Norv Turner "error"? Was that intentional? Either way, it's right on target. :-)

Btw, did anyone see Norv's postgame press conference after another big Raiders loss? It was like reliving a nightmare all over again.

Welcome to Norv World, Raider nation!

As for Mitchell, Norv was one of those who said Mitchell had "lost a step," so it wasn't all Snyder's fault. Snyder just believed what he was told.

NamVet4
10-19-2004, 11:17 AM
I am happy Brian Mitchell has soothed things over with Danny Boy! Glad to see him retire as a Redskin!
The HOF issue is another thing! Art Monk goes in first !!!
No doubt about it, at least in my mind!

Keino
10-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Norv Turner "error"? Was that intentional? Either way, it's right on target. :-)

Btw, did anyone see Norv's postgame press conference after another big Raiders loss? It was like reliving a nightmare all over again.

As for Mitchell, Norv was one of those who said Mitchell had "lost a step," so it wasn't all Snyder's fault. Snyder just believed what he was told.

It's not as if Norv was wrong. He had lost a step and he wasn't all that explosive to begin with. He ran hard, but IMO letting him go when we did was the right thing to do.

funnyperson1
10-19-2004, 11:30 AM
But thats what made Brian Mitchell one of my favorite players. He was straight up intense. He reacted exactly as I would expect Brian Mitchell to act when he got cut. You remember how many times he would get in peoples faces on the field itching for a fight? He wore his emotions on his sleeve and played with a chip on his shoulder, and I'm proud that he will retire as a redskin.

openallnight
10-19-2004, 11:33 AM

I didn't see the press conference. Let me guess did it go something like this:
We've just got to find a way to find a way to win. We need our guys to find a way to step up and find a way to make a play when we need to have a play to win on game day.
Oh, by the way this was a tough loss so I'm giving the players the next 5 days off.

whitskins
10-19-2004, 11:39 AM
Class move by both Snyder and Mitchell, it's great to have him retire back home.

LadyNRedskinsfan
10-19-2004, 11:40 AM
i hated hearing b mitch bad mouth the skins, but im so glad that he is retiring a redskin. this is where he belongs. it hurt watching him play in green and black and then in red and blue. i could see him as a special teams coach some time down the line. i dont think it would be a bad idea to have him take over for danny smith. that guy isnt exactly lighting the world on fire with his unit this season.......

openallnight
10-19-2004, 11:51 AM
It's not as if Norv was wrong. He had lost a step and he wasn't all that explosive to begin with. He ran hard, but IMO letting him go when we did was the right thing to do.
Lost a step? Mitchell ran back a KO for a TD in his last game as a Redskin darn near propelling us to a championship game. Since he left he had 3 return TDs. How many have we had since then?

Keino
10-19-2004, 12:07 PM
Lost a step? Mitchell ran back a KO for a TD in his last game as a Redskin darn near propelling us to a championship game. Since he left he had 3 return TDs. How many have we had since then?

I believe we've had 2, but I don't believe B Mitch would've had any given the way we blocked on Special Teams since he left.

Yes he lost a step. I was never a B Mitch fan, so this will be a fruitless argument. I can't stand players that want to fight everytime they get hit......

lakeskin
10-19-2004, 12:26 PM
Can I retire as a Redskin? This guy was last a redskin like 10 years ago.

All joking aside I think its a nice gesture on his part. Was always a fan of his. He was slash before kordell. Then again he did fumble during trhe 90 playoffs against the niners that cost us the playoff game. Watever, nice to see him go out as a redskin.

On an aside did art monk do the same thing? Cant recall.

whistleandthumb
10-19-2004, 01:07 PM
This is great move on Snyder's part. Mitchell was always a Redskin in my eyes, even when wearing green, then blue. I'm glad this happened... it's just the way it should be.

28thegreat
10-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Can I retire as a Redskin? This guy was last a redskin like 10 years ago.

All joking aside I think its a nice gesture on his part. Was always a fan of his. He was slash before kordell. Then again he did fumble during trhe 90 playoffs against the niners that cost us the playoff game. Watever, nice to see him go out as a redskin.

On an aside did art monk do the same thing? Cant recall.
Yeah, can anybody remember? Did Art Monk come back and retire a Redskin?

Meatsnack
10-19-2004, 01:39 PM
I loved Brian Mitchell as a player and like him as a sports analyst as well if his stint on the Comcast show was any indication. I haven't heard anyone else mention Brunell's over-striding on throws trying to get more zip on the ball but there it is on film when you look.

The Slash comment by OCSkins Fan was right on. He was one of the most versatile players of the modern era (and our third string QB for quite a while). Brian Mitchell gave a 100% every minute he was a Redskin. He fired-up his teammates. He was a cerebral player who very seldom made a mental error. Watching him return punts was like a clinic on the subject. In all, productive, dedicated, smart, fiery, physical and tough. What's not to love? Cutting him was one more reason to despise Norv Turner. And yes, I take a truly unreasoning amount of glee watching the Raiders twist in Norv's wind.

Glad to have you back, Brian.

Keino
10-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Yeah, can anybody remember? Did Art Monk come back and retire a Redskin?

The answer is Yes.

RedskinRyan
10-19-2004, 01:48 PM

straight up. i dont think he wants to retire as a redskins for snyder and co. he wants to retire a skin cause of gibbs.

wewantdallas
10-19-2004, 02:00 PM

I think Mitchell probably HAD lost a step, but I don't think it was enough to make him a detriment when considering his intensity and leadership. I seem to recall him doing fantastically in Philly for the next couple years on returns.

The way he was let go just was indicative of the team at the time, i.e. sacrificing tradition and heart for "on paper" talent, not realizing or understanding the importance of chemistry and leadership. I mean, look at Mitchell's replacement, Peon Sanders. Give me a "lost a step" Mitchell over that buffoon anyday.

I was annoyed with Mitchell for bad mouthing the Skins, too, but I sure wish we could've kept him in the burgundy and gold.

Santheb
10-19-2004, 02:53 PM
Just wondering, isn't Brian Mitchell going to try to break the all time all purpose yardage? I would love to see if he can still return punts and kicks, I don't think Chad is getting it done :P Or is he just coming here, signing vet minimum, and retiring? If so, it doesn't matter, really. Its good that he is retiring a Skin :)

Skins57
10-19-2004, 02:55 PM
AThe way our coverage units play, we might want to replace Danny Smith with Mitchell :D (only half kidding)

funnyperson1
10-20-2004, 12:10 AM
Just wondering, isn't Brian Mitchell going to try to break the all time all purpose yardage? I would love to see if he can still return punts and kicks, I don't think Chad is getting it done :P Or is he just coming here, signing vet minimum, and retiring? If so, it doesn't matter, really. Its good that he is retiring a Skin :)
I'm pretty sure that he IS the all time leader in total yardage unless someone passed him. Maybe Rice, but I don't think anyone else really was close.

IowaSkinsFan
10-20-2004, 09:03 AM
I can't stand players that want to fight everytime they get hit......

I grew very tired of that as well.

split3clemente
10-20-2004, 03:46 PM
My favorite skin of all time retirin as a redskin, makes my day that much better