PDA

View Full Version : Positive: Springs Rejuvenated

hail2skins
11-03-2004, 08:01 AM
Here is an article from the Wash Post on Springs

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19829-2004Nov2.html

Patrick
11-03-2004, 08:03 AM
Read it - was pretty good. ........ I hope that this week, either he or Smoot score for the D.

redwolf1218
11-03-2004, 08:58 AM
Good read. Springs is the man. I didnt know how athletic he was because all i ever heard was he was injury prone. we have one the best corner tandems in the league now, maybe the best.

REDMAN
11-03-2004, 09:01 AM
That is a very good article. Springs is having a pro bowl caliber year imo.

IVSkinsFan
11-03-2004, 11:28 AM
I didn't regret the Portis/Bailey trade from the start because Champ didn't want to be here. Springs has surpassed all of my expectations, and Champ is having an average year. Portis is just about to get going as long as Joe sticks with him. I could not believe in that drive against GB that we didn't run the ball one time. Portis was getting nice chunks of yards before that.

RedSkinBrit
11-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Springs has been a ray of sunshine in a cloudy Redskin sky.I still think Portis will finish the season on good form.

kelly
11-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Wednesday, November 3, 2004
By Len Pasquarelli / ESPN.com

To inventory his career interceptions, cornerback Shawn Springs needs both hands, and then some. But the eight-year veteran has never needed so much as two fingers to count the number of sacks on his NFL résumé.

Until, that is, this season.

In his first year with the Washington Redskins, with whom he signed as an unrestricted free agent this spring following seven seasons with the Seattle Seahawks, the dogged Springs has added a new element to his repertoire. Once noted for batting down passes, Springs is now knocking down quarterbacks before they can get rid of the ball, and his three sacks equal his three interceptions through seven games.Springs leads the Redskins in sacks and INTs with three each."It's exciting, another angle, another way to make use of my skills," said Springs, who had just 1˝ career sacks entering the 2004 campaign. "I've always prided myself on being an aggressive player and with what they're letting me do here, just turning me loose on people, it plays right into that mentality. It's cool, (rushing) off the corner, and watching the quarterback's eyes when he first sees me coming."

Springs, 29, is certainly coming on strong this season, and seems to have reclaimed his once-sparkling career nearly undone by injuries. On the league's top-rated defense, a unit where creative coordinator Gregg Williams has elicited stellar performances from a lot of lesser-profile players (and with LaVar Arrington out of the lineup), Springs has arguably been the most pleasant surprise.The third player selected overall in the 1997 draft, and a two-time Pro Bowl defender, his stock had fallen in recent seasons amid a spate of nagging injuries. The former Ohio State standout, once regarded as the model for a "shutdown" cornerback, missed an average of nearly three games per season in his seven-year Seattle tenure. While hamstring woes were a major problem, Springs also missed time with a broken thumb, and shoulder and calf injuries.

The blunt truth is, in many NFL circles, Springs was viewed as used-up, and perhaps a player who had lost some passion for the game. Fortunately for him and for the 'Skins, Williams didn't see him through that prism, and has schemed up ways to enhance Springs' playmaking skills. Washington invested a $10 million signing bonus on its assessment Springs could be a productive reclamation project and he is certainly paying big dividends now.

> http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1915282

hail2skins
11-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Threads merged.

PyroGenic
11-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Wednesday, November 3, 2004
By Len Pasquarelli / ESPN.com

To inventory his career interceptions, cornerback Shawn Springs needs both hands, and then some. But the eight-year veteran has never needed so much as two fingers to count the number of sacks on his NFL résumé.

Until, that is, this season.

In his first year with the Washington Redskins, with whom he signed as an unrestricted free agent this spring following seven seasons with the Seattle Seahawks, the dogged Springs has added a new element to his repertoire. Once noted for batting down passes, Springs is now knocking down quarterbacks before they can get rid of the ball, and his three sacks equal his three interceptions through seven games.Springs leads the Redskins in sacks and INTs with three each."It's exciting, another angle, another way to make use of my skills," said Springs, who had just 1˝ career sacks entering the 2004 campaign. "I've always prided myself on being an aggressive player and with what they're letting me do here, just turning me loose on people, it plays right into that mentality. It's cool, (rushing) off the corner, and watching the quarterback's eyes when he first sees me coming."

Springs, 29, is certainly coming on strong this season, and seems to have reclaimed his once-sparkling career nearly undone by injuries. On the league's top-rated defense, a unit where creative coordinator Gregg Williams has elicited stellar performances from a lot of lesser-profile players (and with LaVar Arrington out of the lineup), Springs has arguably been the most pleasant surprise.The third player selected overall in the 1997 draft, and a two-time Pro Bowl defender, his stock had fallen in recent seasons amid a spate of nagging injuries. The former Ohio State standout, once regarded as the model for a "shutdown" cornerback, missed an average of nearly three games per season in his seven-year Seattle tenure. While hamstring woes were a major problem, Springs also missed time with a broken thumb, and shoulder and calf injuries.

The blunt truth is, in many NFL circles, Springs was viewed as used-up, and perhaps a player who had lost some passion for the game. Fortunately for him and for the 'Skins, Williams didn't see him through that prism, and has schemed up ways to enhance Springs' playmaking skills. Washington invested a $10 million signing bonus on its assessment Springs could be a productive reclamation project and he is certainly paying big dividends now.

> http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1915282

wow... he had something nice to say... im shocked...

Santheb
11-03-2004, 03:49 PM
When Fatsquarelli has something good to say about the Skins or a Skins player, you know its good.

LATrueRedskin
11-03-2004, 07:14 PM
Springs is quickly becoming my favorite pick up this year. I underestimated his skills and drive to play this game, but he proved me wrong and continues to prove me wrong. What a great corner.

bgforever
11-04-2004, 01:13 AM
This definitely reminds me of Brad Davis and Darly Grant back in the day. When they were in preseason back then, first Grant in the Skins first SB era, I thought, hmm, this guy might be too slow. Nada, playing alongside Butz, who gobbled up blocking (still made plays), Grant electrified the Dline time and time again, with remarkable inside play like Griffin does.

Brad Davis wasn't a big Safety and certainly looked more like a boy next door, who couldn't be without his school books. However, forget the boyish, face or what some thought he couldn't do, he TOOK the starting safety job and backed it up time and time against the likes of some of the greatest QB's and offenses ever, to include Mariino, Montana, Elway, Kelly, Fouts.

Shawn Springs was a top dog, however, that was pretty much given up on and its one of the biggest steals this season. Fortunately we have him to match up against another big steal, in Philly. Springs is a complete corner, and a perfect compliment to another complete corner, Fred Smoot. Springs also can stretch the field a little bit with his INT returns. So look for Fred Smoot to want to do his thang too.

Hoping he stays in good health and all the best!

CarMike
11-04-2004, 07:12 AM
When are these writers going to learn to write something authentic instead of the same ole lines used many times before?

But he chose to return home to the Washington area, where he was a high school star, and sign with the Redskins to replace the popular Champ Bailey, who is arguably the best cornerback in the NFL.