PDA

View Full Version : Is Ramsey Gibbs guys?

ConradCountry
12-12-2004, 11:32 PM
I don't know if Ramsey is Gibbs guy, the offence is not really designed to cater to Ramsey's ability. Theisman eluded to that when he said that Gibbs was asking Ramsey to manage the game and make the short throws and he said Ramsey wasa gun slinger and had never done that before.

This brings up a couple of questions, despite what we think do people think that

Is Ramsey Gibbs guy?

and

Is Gibbs going to change the system for Ramsey or is Gibbs going to change the QB to suit the system.

BRAVEONAWARPATH
12-12-2004, 11:33 PM
I don't know if Ramsey is Gibbs guy, the offence is not really designed to cater to Ramsey's ability. Theisman eluded to that when he said that Gibbs was asking Ramsey to manage the game and make the short throws and he said Ramsey wasa gun slinger and had never done that before.

This brings up a couple of questions, despite what we think do people think that

Is Ramsey Gibbs guy?

and

Is Gibbs going to change the system for Ramsey or is Gibbs going to change the QB to suit the system.
I have the suspicion that Gibbs will change QBS.

inevitable
12-12-2004, 11:35 PM

I think the last three games will be a pretty good sign as to whether Gibbs will keep Ramsey or not.

He's played well, and the last three games will tell whether or not he can win for the future of this organization.

I won't make any prediction until after the Vikings game.

swheeler
12-12-2004, 11:35 PM
Ramsey actually did the Gibbs thing really well. It was on the un-Gibbs-like plays that he screwed up. I think he can do it.

BSMKF
12-12-2004, 11:36 PM
I think Ramsey is a STUD !!! and I dont know how Gibbs couldnt see that I mean what more can you ask for young strong arm and accurate

whitskins
12-12-2004, 11:36 PM
If Ramsey is not the guy I don't know where we'll find one that will be immediately better. I think Ramsey played well save for one horrendous pass, but I think he's done a lot and will be our starter next year.

ConradCountry
12-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Ramsey actually did the Gibbs thing really well. It was on the un-Gibbs-like plays that he screwed up. I think he can do it.

Its not whether we think he can do it but whether Gibvbs thinks so.

Ramsey still makes the same mistakes every game
-Bad picks
-Taking dumb sacks

I am not being negative and saying he sucks because he has a cannon and threw the ball down field well, but I think Gibbs will make a switch because Ramsey is nt made for his system and I don't see Gibbs changing the system.

inevitable
12-12-2004, 11:37 PM
I think we draft a quarterback later in the draft, get rid of Hasselbeck, and let Gibbs mold the guy from day 1

Until that guy is ready, (unless Ramsey screws up hardcore these last 3 games) Ramsey I think will stay.

BSMKF
12-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Hmm what would make you think that ? your makeing me nervous :)

Redskin006
12-12-2004, 11:38 PM
he played fairly smart today. remember philly has a very good defense, although it isnt ranked high, it is very good. ramsey play smart and made some great, yes i said great plays. the interception at the end was both his and gibbs' fault. it was a foolish play, but it happened and there is nothing we can do. ramsey will be a great qb, no doubt, in the very near future.

2Cooley
12-12-2004, 11:39 PM
I think we draft a quarterback later in the draft, get rid of Hasselbeck, and let Gibbs mold the guy from day 1

Until that guy is ready, (unless Ramsey screws up hardcore these last 3 games) Ramsey I think will stay.

Gibbs will not get a rookie QB

SkinsKY
12-12-2004, 11:48 PM

Is Ramsey Gibbs guy?

and

The thing to remember is that Gibbs used to be more aggressive and Ramsey would have fit in taking more shots downfield.

Tonight I think Gibbs made some very bad play calls. Some great ones as well. The weakside pitch called back by Dmac's penalty was a great one. There were way too many screens, ins and hooks. The pass to Cooley on the TD was a good double move. Gibbs would do well to take note of that. Ramsey played remarkably well and had a few glaring errors. He took what the defense gave him, but I think the offense could have given him more. The problem here is with Gibbs and not Ramsey.

ConradCountry
12-12-2004, 11:49 PM
The thing to remember is that Gibbs used to be more aggressive and Ramsey would have fit in taking more shots downfield.

Tonight I think Gibbs made some very bad play calls. Some great ones as well. The weakside pitch called back by Dmac's penalty was a great one. There were way too many screens, ins and hooks. The pass to Cooley on the TD was a good double move. Gibbs would do well to take note of that. Ramsey played remarkably well and had a few glaring errors. He took what the defense gave him, but I think the offense could have given him more. The problem here is with Gibbs and not Ramsey.

I think that has someting to do with it. Hopefully Ramsey and Gibbs get together and figure out what needs to be done.

Jimreaper007
12-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Ramsey reminds me of Mark Rypien in his first years....he was unsure and threw picks...

Ramsey is definitely a Gibbs guy...they just need to get on the same page.

PennSkinsFan
12-12-2004, 11:51 PM
If Ramsey is not the guy I don't know where we'll find one that will be immediately better. I think Ramsey played well save for one horrendous pass, but I think he's done a lot and will be our starter next year.

Yup.,If Ramsey is not the guy, count on another three hard friggin years. Brunell certauinly is not. Hass ha sno arm. So you are talking about starting all over.

by the way, Last week RAMSEY was the Messiah!

BRAVEONAWARPATH
12-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Ramsey reminds me of Mark Rypien in his first years....he was unsure and threw picks...

Ramsey is definitely a Gibbs guy...they just need to get on the same page.
I just don't see the same comfort level with Ramsey that Gibbs had with
Brunell. And it's a shame.

JoeDaSchmoe
12-12-2004, 11:52 PM
I have no idea what a Gibbs QB is anymore. I thought Ramsey was practically a prototype for one before the season started... tough, hangs in the pocket, makes beautiful throws downfield. But this offense is so West Coast-erized that Joe Montana would probably be able to run it in his sleep. Do we bring in more of a West Coast guy then? I just don't know.

Redskin006
12-12-2004, 11:52 PM
did anyone hear gibbs post game comments? im pretty sure that gibbs said that he wished he had put ramsey in earlier in the year.

BRAVEONAWARPATH
12-12-2004, 11:55 PM
did anyone hear gibbs post game comments? im pretty sure that gibbs said that he wished he had put ramsey in earlier in the year.

He said that?

swheeler

-Bad picks
-Taking dumb sacks

I am not being negative and saying he sucks because he has a cannon and threw the ball down field well, but I think Gibbs will make a switch because Ramsey is nt made for his system and I don't see Gibbs changing the system.

Ramsey's 1 interception was on a play that really wasn't part of the system, and he seemed much better about avoiding sacks. Most of his short, conservative passes were fine. Maybe he wasn't made for the system, but he's starting to show that he can handle the system. There's no way I can know what Gibbs thinks about him, but if I were Gibbs I would stick to improving Ramsey. Maybe draft a backup late or trade for a cheap one, but keep ramsey the #1 focus.

SkinsKY

-Bad picks
-Taking dumb sacks

I think I credit him with one sack and the pick wasn't all his fault. He had two WRs out on routes and it was the end of game and he's trying to make a play. McNabb made a much worse INT. He made mistakes, but they are much more forgivable than mistakes he has normally made.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Gibbs' system has been to be aggressive and now Gibbs has slowed it a bit. I put this loss much more on Gibbs' shoulders than Pat's. He hung in and made smart plays all game long. Did Ramsey call 17835 hitch routes and ins against a defense that was already stacked to stop the run? If this is Gibbs' system, it's flawed because you have to be able to complete downfield passes in the NFL. We've seen much improvement and I think most of it came from #11 today. I can't really say a bad thing about him.

SkinsKY
12-12-2004, 11:58 PM
I have no idea what a Gibbs QB is anymore. I thought Ramsey was practically a prototype for one before the season started... tough, hangs in the pocket, makes beautiful throws downfield. But this offense is so West Coast-erized that Joe Montana would probably be able to run it in his sleep. Do we bring in more of a West Coast guy then? I just don't know.

I think you stay with Ramsey and take shots deep. I agree that this is so different to see him calling plays like this that it seems like a change in philosophy. We just won't be consitantly good at running the ball until we land some long passes. Up until the end when Ramsey hit some long ones, our yards per pass attempt was eerily close to our yards per carry.

As far as QBs, I think Ram is still the way to go. Gibbs just needs to lose those hitch routes.

BRAVEONAWARPATH
12-12-2004, 11:59 PM
Patrick played fine..all things considered. Unfortunately, our margin
for error has been diminished with the conservative play calling we employ.

Chief Seeway
12-12-2004, 11:59 PM
Gibbs had many, many long pass plays his first go around; Rypien was a gunslinger.

Either coach forgot about them or he doesn't trust Ramsey to execute them. Tonight I was actually thinking that Gibbs was setting the Eagles defense up and was going to air it out in the fourth quarter. He didn't until we had to and well, we saw what happened.

redskin_rich
12-13-2004, 12:02 AM
Patrick played fine..all things considered. Unfortunately, our margin
for error has been diminished with the conservative play calling we employ.
Which we struggle to execute.
Patrick made the worst play of the game but he has only started 4 games in this system, to write him off is premature.

swheeler
12-13-2004, 12:11 AM
Gibbs had many, many long pass plays his first go around; Rypien was a gunslinger.

Either coach forgot about them or he doesn't trust Ramsey to execute them. Tonight I was actually thinking that Gibbs was setting the Eagles defense up and was going to air it out in the fourth quarter. He didn't until we had to and well, we saw what happened.

Except we didn't have to. Conservative calling frustrates the hell out of me, but it was working this time. If we had stuck with it we would have at least tied it up, possible won the game.

I know our offense was far from stellar, but with our D playing as well as it does we don't need to be the best offense around, we just need a few good drives and minimal mistakes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's exactly what we were getting out of the conservative system. Abandoning it when we didn't need to screwed us.

JoeDaSchmoe
12-13-2004, 12:26 AM
He didn't until we had to and well, we saw what happened.

That's the problem. If the only time you do it is when the defense knows it's coming, well, then, you've pretty much screwed the pooch in that regard, haven't you?

silverspring
12-13-2004, 12:30 AM
I was fairly young during gibb's original tenure. But the way I remember it he ran a ball-control offense based on a running game. But he loved to take big shots down field. This year he occassionally runs the ball, but more or less likes the short passing game. It seems to me like gibbs doesn't know what his style is yet and is developing it, cause in my mind ramsey would be the perfect qb to hand the ball off and then take big shots downfield.

Skinz4lyfe
12-13-2004, 12:45 AM
I was fairly young during gibb's original tenure. But the way I remember it he ran a ball-control offense based on a running game. But he loved to take big shots down field. This year he occassionally runs the ball, but more or less likes the short passing game. It seems to me like gibbs doesn't know what his style is yet and is developing it, cause in my mind ramsey would be the perfect qb to hand the ball off and then take big shots downfield.

I think its more Gibbs learning his personnel. If you've noticed, he went to Cooley a little more the past couple of games. That's why I say next year is gonna be a good year because right now he's weeding out the true "Redskins". We'll see what happens after we sure up our O-line and resign some of our players (Smoot, Pierce, Marshall, etc.). Gibbs will also tweek the offense a little and you'll see us taking more shots down field next year.

RedskinsVision
12-13-2004, 12:53 AM
most of us were saying how we should give Ramsey the rest of the year to show what he's got in Gibbs' system since we gave Brunell 8 1/2 games to show his abilities.

Brunell was getting worst while Ramsey have been getting better. Ramsey's INT will fall heavily on everyone's memory bank. but we have to admit the offense for the last 2 weeks have been far more efficient than it has all season. and some of that credit have to go to Ramsey. he's had 4 games now.. not the "rest of season" deal we outta give him.

his 4 starts he's been:
88/135, 65%, 725 yards, 4 TD's, 3 INT's, 83.3 Rating

he's far better than Brunell was.. he's not perfect.. he infuriated us all w/ that INT.. but he's the best we have and i think Gibbs will work w/ him instead of taking another risk on a QB when he failed w/ Brunell.

Dexter72
12-13-2004, 01:07 AM
he's far better than Brunell was.. he's not perfect.. he infuriated us all w/ that INT.. but he's the best we have and i think Gibbs will work w/ him instead of taking another risk on a QB when he failed w/ Brunell.

I agree, and I think that it makes sense. Replacing Rod Gardner with a legit possession receiver would go a long way; as will getting Jansen back, and maybe getting a bigger, badder blocking TE. Gibbs always had a top notch o-line and a top notch big, sure-handed possession WR (Monk); the line needs a little work, and the first round pick should be on Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards.

lakeskin
12-13-2004, 01:22 AM
i think Ramsey is looking better week after week and Gibbs is getting more confidence in him.

hail2skins
12-13-2004, 01:47 AM
Ramsey needs to recognize defenses and see the field better. He has the arm but if you can't see the field, your arm is no good to you. He missed some wide open receivers today.

IllinoiSkinFan
12-13-2004, 07:31 AM
I dont think Ramsey is our guy. I think given the oppertunity Gibbs will get someone else to start. He makes poor decisions on where to throw the ball. Too often I see someone completely open.

Ramsey2Moss
12-13-2004, 07:36 AM
Ramsey played excellent last night, except for maybe 3 bad passes, one of which cost us the game. Still, I wouldn't blame him for the loss. Gibbs was TERRIBLE at CLOCK MANAGEMENT! I mean just absolutely PATHETIC! Ramsey was used to doing some 2 minute drills with SS atleast, but Gibbs didn't even have a play for him sometimes when we were running low on time! Get with the times, Coach.

Anyway, the Talent is there. Our offense is really starting to impress (granted we went up against the weak and humble Giants and an Eagles d-line with 4th stringers). What I don't get is why Gibbs kept passing when we were inside the 20. Just run the ball or throw short to get some time off the clock. You don't want the eagles to get explosive on you.

Either way guys, I can honestly say I'm not sad or ashamed of this team even though we lost. Even if we won we would have not made the playoffs, but next year is looking pretty bright! If we stay healthy, get a good draft pick (cough cough WR or TE cough cough), and with an easier schedule I see us making the playoffs easily.

28thegreat
12-13-2004, 07:39 AM
He was talking about Cooley.

Skin-E-Dip
12-13-2004, 10:07 AM
Ramsey still looks like a deer in headlights. I dont care how good his arm is, he still sucks as a decision maker. If it wasnt for that great runback by Betts and the turnover by the defense, the offense would have had no points. I guess I dont like Ramsey because he never gets hot. He goes three and out, three and out, first down, first down, three and out. Nothing ever gets going

garedskin
12-13-2004, 12:16 PM
Gibbs will not get a rookie QB

What makes you think that? He drafted several QBs and groomed them gradually before.Schroeder,Rypien,and Humphries to name some of his better picks. :Peace:

Ohiofan
12-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Skin-E-Dip, it is about time for some stability, not more of the revolving door. Ram has had four games, three of them against two of the top three teams in the entire NFL. The other game, we won.

SkinsKY
12-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Question for those who want to replace Ramsey:

Do you enjoy constant turnover? We have a QB who is consistantly improving. The kid has had four starts with three of them being against two of the toughest teams in the league and we've hung in there. What more do you want from him. He's not going to be a Manning or Culpeper or or Brady, but he can play smart with more reps. Let's think long-term. How long do you want to go before we can be competitive again. We can next year with Ramsey. We can't next year with just about anyone else under center. Just because the offense wasn't magically cured when Ramsey took over doesn't mean it will be if he is replaced. In fact, almost anyone you bring in will be worse than Ramsey is now.

SkinsKY
12-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Ramsey still looks like a deer in headlights. I dont care how good his arm is, he still sucks as a decision maker. If it wasnt for that great runback by Betts and the turnover by the defense, the offense would have had no points. I guess I dont like Ramsey because he never gets hot. He goes three and out, three and out, first down, first down, three and out. Nothing ever gets going

So two 90+ yard drives is nothing?

LadyNRedskinsfan
12-13-2004, 01:15 PM
can we give the guy more than 4 games in a complex system that other QBs didnt pick up in their first season either before we start to throw him to the wolves?

BRAVEONAWARPATH
12-13-2004, 01:17 PM
can we give the guy more than 3 games in a complex system that other QBs didnt pick up in their first season either before we start to throw him to the wolves?
Nope Lady. That would require more patience than many folks
on this board have.

RedHokieSkin
12-13-2004, 01:23 PM
If I remember the original question posed on this thread, it had something to do with what Gibbs would do with Ramsey.

I think that Gibbs wants someone else. He doesn't show the same gusto and support when speaking about Ramsey that he did with Brunell early in the season. It's as if he had never planned on giving him an opportunity, but Brunell was so bad that he couldn't think of any other way around it.

Unless Ramsey plays extremely well in the next 3 games, I'm predicting Gibbs will begin searching for a replacement....

bgforever
12-13-2004, 01:24 PM
i think Ramsey is looking better week after week and Gibbs is getting more confidence in him.

Yep, when the team has more improvements around him, he will not have a single excuse for not delivering. Most of the improvement is only a couple of players away on offense and one on ST's. If took the average score of SS's year here and Joe's team this year, we'd be challenging for the NFC East title.

Next year will be no comparisons needed or IF's. Ramsey WILL have a new face to contend with, as it is only natural to see what is always available, within budget. A possible sleeper may be picked in a late round, that was surely overlooked by many. That's always a possibility. However, the main decision going into next season, as long as Ramsey DOES keep improving and MAKING GOOD decisions, is which do you unload, Brunell (with the cap hit or redoing his, *also checkins his true commitment to a grateful Gibbs) or Hasselbeck,(who I believe is expendable also). If we dump BOTH, then you can bet your buns, Brees looms high as an alternative to coming to Washington. Ramsey MUST deal with this on the field, not in his emotions. Every snap Montana took, Steve Young loomed (*in the late 80's-1991).

Peyton Manning has NO challenger, so as the "king" goes, so does the offense. Truth is Mora often picks as much as 10-15 additional percent of the time to throw for Manning,as opposed to most NFL QB's. That way he still gets Edge the ball, who has tremondous 2nd efforts, then after the score is pumped, by Manning, Edge gets his numbers. Again, if Manning goes down, Edge's numbers go up even more, because he'd have to keep the DL honest for Manning's backup.

We won't have that scenario, which is why one more capable QB will be brought in, not so much make Ramsey pack his bags, but get Joe in positions to overcome QB adversaty, unlike the way Indy's set up with Manning.

Remember, Indianapolis has the same problem Philly has had, cracking the big nut to get by the conference championship - even Indy's coach has had that similar problem (Dungy).

Joe won't be so nice next season.

BRAVEONAWARPATH
12-13-2004, 01:25 PM
If I remember the original question posed on this thread, it had something to do with what Gibbs would do with Ramsey.

I think that Gibbs wants someone else. He doesn't show the same gusto and support when speaking about Ramsey that he did with Brunell early in the season. It's as if he had never planned on giving him an opportunity, but Brunell was so bad that he couldn't think of any other way around it.

Unless Ramsey plays extremely well in the next 3 games, I'm predicting Gibbs will begin searching for a replacement....
I've always felt that Gibbs and Ramsey were never quite
on the same page..for whatever reason.

Minnesota Mike
12-13-2004, 01:40 PM

It was a ball control offense based on a punishing offensive line.

I think Gibbs would love to do that now, but he just doesn't have the horses up front to for it. He is trying to do the best with what he has, which is a sub-standard NFL line. When he gets Jansen back, and makes an off season move or two to upgrade the line, I think things will look more like they did in the golden era. When the O-line can't make room for Portis or Betts, the team has to resort to the short passing, not by choice, but out of necessity.

Ramsey is most certainly a Gibbs QB. He just needs a Gibbs/Bugel O-line in front of him to prove it.

PennSkinsFan
12-13-2004, 01:42 PM
[QUOTE=Minnesota Mike]It was a ball control offense based on a punishing offensive line.

I think Gibbs would love to do that now, but he just doesn't have the horses up front to for it. He is trying to do the best with what he has, which is a sub-standard NFL line. When he gets Jansen back, and makes an off season move or two to upgrade the line, I think things will look more like they did in the golden era. When the O-line can't make room for Portis or Betts, the team has to resort to the short passing, not by choice, but out of necessity.

Ramsey is most certainly a Gibbs QB. He just needs a Gibbs/Bugel O-line in front of him to prove it.[/QUThe past two games, the OLine has played like a Gibbs/Bugel line of the past. Last nigth Ram had all day to throw, Portis had holes. Line has not been the problem lately.

Ohiofan
12-13-2004, 01:51 PM
If Gibbs has problems with Ram, after putting up for 8 & 1/2 games with the garbage taht Brunell was putting on the field, then the problem is with Gibbs, not Ramsey. It remains a serious question as to how Gibbs coudl have ever gottenso enamoured with Brunell when the rest of the league knew he was done. The shakiest performance, other than Brunell, on the tesam this year has been Gibbs himself. Perhaps Gibbs could focus upon getting plays into the game in a timely manner.

bgforever
12-13-2004, 02:07 PM
I also dislike Brunell , personally, because I question his commitment to Gibbs who gave his sorry as* a shot! He literally NEGOTIATED a fat contract know full well who Joe Gibbs was. He saw DANIEL SNYDER"S MONEY. I bury him in the depths of footbball he*l period.

I wouldn't even watch a Skins game if he ever started it again win or not, because he HE TOOK without giving. Bruce Smith, I lambasted,but he gave and gave and gave.

Brunell did exactly what Deion did and worse. Deion was recovering from injury, so no one and even him, knew for certain he'd ever be able to recover completely or even play again.

Brunell, just like when Riggins had had enough , knew full well what was in his tank.

Joe Gibbs was enamored by highlight reels. Now the highlight of Brunell has us reeling.

Minnesota Mike
12-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Last nigth Ram had all day to throw, Portis had holes. Line has not been the problem lately.

Portis was - 23 carries, 80 yds. 3.5 avg. 13 long. Those numbers won't scare anyone in this league. The O-line pushed the Giants around last week, but against an injury depleted Iggle d-line, this o-line looked very average. The offensive line on this team has been all season, and remains, the single biggest weakness.

Ramsey2Moss
12-13-2004, 02:43 PM
I'm sorry but I don't understand how Ramsey has done nothing but put up with all this Brunell crap and now he is finally starting and we are getting some consistancy and drives going on offense. Did you guys see the connection he had with Coles and Cooley? Get him another target, like Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards, and watch how good this offense becomes if Gibbs starts opening up the playbook. We went deep like twice all game. Once on that rollout play to Cooley for about 40 yards, and second to the endzone on Ramsey's pick. You guys can criticize Ramsey all you want, but I am defending him as he is a Gibbs player and a true Redskin. I think this team needs consitancy in the coaching staff and players for atleast another season, then we can contend. Gibbs needs to step up to the plate and take some classes in clock management. After thirteen games and you still are failing to call plays in a two minute drill??? Even Spurrier could have done that.

I guess I'm being a little hard on Gibbs, but I just do not get how we can pick apart Ramsey when he makes one bad decision after playing a game not making many. I think one of the Eagles Fans on this board said it best this morning: a top tier quarterback is not grown off a tree. Ramsey has the talent, and if him and gibbs can give eachother a little (Ramsey works into more of Gibbs's system, and Gibbs changes his system a little more to fit Ram), we could be looking at the playoffs next year.

BIGSEF3
12-13-2004, 03:10 PM
i agree. people overly criticize ramsey and undercriticize gibbs. no matter what QB we've had on the field, gibbs has had problems getting the plays off in time. we're always not quite set until the last possible second. no matter who your QB is, that sort of thing is going to throw off his rhythm.

Ramsey makes one bad throw and people say he should go? If there is anyone who has disappointed me this year, its been joe gibbs. he's let us all down by stupid clock management, bad playcalling, and sticking with brunell too long. but do i want HIM to go? heck no! b/c he will get better and while hes made some mistakes and has some continuing problems, he's not THAT bad. neither is ramsey. Give BOTH of these guys a break.