PDA

View Full Version : Playing for Pride - Inside the numbers vs. San Francisco

flave1969
12-15-2004, 05:36 AM
The Redskins for once this season play a team they match up very well against statistically. This is of course not surprising as the 49ers are 2-11.
San Francisco is not a team loaded with talent and it has showed. It is a mistake to underestimate them as a unit. They have players like Eric Johnson who is having a good year, and Kevan Barlow who is not, but is one year removed from a 1000 yard season.

The 49ers rank 24th on Offense and 15th on Defense.

The 49er rushing game has been very poor this year and is ranked 30th this year garnering just 89.3 yards a game. Playing against a Washington D that ranks 3rd giving up just 85.2 ypg, it looks like the 49ers will not be improving very much on the ground. They do have 9 rushing TD's, the Skins have given up just 7, so again they are not likely to get much change out of the Skins D.

The passing game reads much the same. They rank 20th overall with 204.8 ypg whilst the Skins rank 4th overall giving up just 176.4 ypg. Again having only thrown 13 TD's and Washington only allowing 12 all year, points are going too be very hard too come by.

On Defense whilst being ranked 15th overall, the 49ers have given up 40 TD's this year. They have given up 30 plus points 5 times this year so they have really struggled keeping teams at bay. So what does this mean for the Skins O?

Clinton Portis should not have much trouble racking up good yards on the 49ers. They have given up 18 TD's on the ground and Portis has 3TD's in his last two games, so I expect him to score.

Patrick Ramsey should have time to pass in this game. The 49ers have only managed 26 sacks and the 22 TD's and just 8 Interceptions show that teams have found it easy to score. It is pretty clear that teams have not had to work hard and put up huge yardage numbers to beat the 49ers.

Cooley, Coles, Ramsey and Portis will be big factors in the game if they play like they did against Philly. Ramsey as a starter this year has completed 65% of his passes which is a huge improvement over Brunell. We have to remeber that he has played Philly twice and Pittsburgh in those four starts so he has played the best and has not disgraced himself. He is more than capable of beating up the 49ers as he did the Giants. The conservative nature of Gibbs playcalling suits this game well and I would not be surprised if Ramsey proves very accurate, and in tandem with Portis moves the team well.

In the end it comes down to the match ups. We have a Washington O finally showing signs of life playing a San Francisco D that has given up an average of 28 ppg. Whilst we have a similarly poor 49er O that goes against a D that has been top three all year and gives up just 16 ppg.

I think the Redskins will win 35-10. Why? Because in a season where we have been close in every game, much better teams than the 49ers have struggled to beat us. Everyday we see a piece of the jigsaw fall into place on this Skins team. This team has a lot of spirit, despite their record they come to play each week and against a team like the niners that means everything.

flave1969
12-15-2004, 05:51 AM
As a footnote to this thread. Clinton Portis rushing for a 100 yards has meant a win for the skins this year. What dissapointed me against Philly was the lack of different formations used in the running game. Every single Portis carry was from a single back set with twin tight ends. I am desperate to see more variety in the running game. Variety has worked very well for us in some games and we have just gone back to single back formations. Play action does not seem to work well for us because a Singleback set does not create as much disguise on the play. If you have a lead blocker plow into the line I get the feeling teams will bite just that second longer that makes play action work.

I really would like to see different things tried as we are at te end of the season.

gravesUKRedskin
12-15-2004, 06:31 AM
However, In order for it to work really well the play must have multiple look. On Sunday, everytime Portis ran the ball as the lone RB, we had 3 WR lined up in the slot and then we always RAN IN THEIR DIRECTION. After half a dozen plays, the Eagles D know where Portis was going to run. There was never any attempt to throw the ball on any of those plays. Successful teams in the past always managed to get the opposing D thinking run, then pull the play-action out and get a big play. Something Philly pulled off twice and almost a third. I happened to agree with Joe Thiesman (GOD) when he said he thought Ramsey was playing within himself and it looked like he wanted ther longer pass. That may explain the thinking behind that interception at the end, Ramsey talking the Coach into attempting that play. A final point about this game. I get the feeling we are about to bust loose big on someone soon. The offense just looks tight and nervy and we haven't had a hugh amount of luck with penalties this year.

Anyway, onto Saturday. For the second weekend running the Skins are on the TV in the UK so I'll be able to watch us win against SF. I agree about the match-ups, this could be the game to break loose on and get the confidence going. Go on Coach, let Patrick go deep.

flave1969
12-15-2004, 07:47 AM
However, In order for it to work really well the play must have multiple look. On Sunday, everytime Portis ran the ball as the lone RB, we had 3 WR lined up in the slot and then we always RAN IN THEIR DIRECTION. After half a dozen plays, the Eagles D know where Portis was going to run. There was never any attempt to throw the ball on any of those plays. Successful teams in the past always managed to get the opposing D thinking run, then pull the play-action out and get a big play. Something Philly pulled off twice and almost a third. I happened to agree with Joe Thiesman (GOD) when he said he thought Ramsey was playing within himself and it looked like he wanted ther longer pass. That may explain the thinking behind that interception at the end, Ramsey talking the Coach into attempting that play. A final point about this game. I get the feeling we are about to bust loose big on someone soon. The offense just looks tight and nervy and we haven't had a hugh amount of luck with penalties this year.

Anyway, onto Saturday. For the second weekend running the Skins are on the TV in the UK so I'll be able to watch us win against SF. I agree about the match-ups, this could be the game to break loose on and get the confidence going. Go on Coach, let Patrick go deep.

I agree with you in the main. I have no problem with the singleback as our fundamental set, but as you say we need more variety. I think the big problem with the single set formation is that we do not seem to get any joy from Play Action. Sometimes you would see Portis line up off-set to the left off Ramsey. I would love to have seen him run a draw from that position or take a quick pitch, even an end around, but we never did it. The only end around was a run by Portis and it worked very well. We used to run a lot of different formations under Gibbs, especially three WR's with two split left one right. In the early days it was not unusual to see John Riggins and Joe Washington on the field at the same time. I guess I am all for variety.

RedskinRyan
12-15-2004, 11:16 AM
i dont wanna lose to the 9ers simply cause they are a 2-11 team. seriously though, i dont want a 10 lose team, cause we are much better than that. losing to 2 12-1 teams by a combined 8 points is really impressive.

openallnight
12-15-2004, 11:29 AM
losing to 2 12-1 teams by a combined 8 points is really impressive.
Losing and impressive don't belong in the same sentence :(

Jimreaper007
12-16-2004, 05:30 AM
Listen up folks,

The Redskins are 4-9 so there is no such animal as an EASY WIN. San Francisco scores points and is involved in a lot of close games. Contrary to popular belief no one is afraid of the Redskins so SF is thinking that this is a game they can win.

I am more concerned about the Skins coming out flat because they think SF is going to roll over like a dog. San Francisco is not go to do that so the Redskins better come ready to play or we will have another game like we did against the Bengals.

This has Bengals potential because the 49ers are much better than their numbers suggest. They have played everyone tough like we have and they have a bunch of close losses like us....

This will not be an easy game by any stretch....

flave1969
12-16-2004, 05:55 AM
Listen up folks,

The Redskins are 4-9 so there is no such animal as an EASY WIN. San Francisco scores points and is involved in a lot of close games. Contrary to popular belief no one is afraid of the Redskins so SF is thinking that this is a game they can win.

I am more concerned about the Skins coming out flat because they think SF is going to roll over like a dog. San Francisco is not go to do that so the Redskins better come ready to play or we will have another game like we did against the Bengals.

This has Bengals potential because the 49ers are much better than their numbers suggest. They have played everyone tough like we have and they have a bunch of close losses like us....

This will not be an easy game by any stretch....

I agree with you Jim, except for one thing they have given up 30 or more points five times and have been held below 14 six times also, and three times below 7. They have lost some close games this year especially weeks one and two, they should not be and this runs true for all NFL teams underestimated.