PDA

View Full Version : Number one need for next year

TheGreek1973
01-03-2005, 07:34 AM
DE. man looking at the game yesterday with only 3 or 4 rushing lineman there was NO ONE open. Dante had all day long with some plays to throw the ball and still coudn't find anyone open down field. Can you imagine if we can put pressure on the QB by rushing only 4? We would be the 85 Bears. Why is this important? Today in an article in the Washington Post it said if we just scored 19 points a game we would be 12-4. Imagine that. I say Gibbs will do enough adjustments next year to get us on average 20 points. If we improve our D just a little we could be 14-2, going into the playoffs without any competition. Having a DE that can get us 12 sacks will most likely improve our D to the #1 spot.

joethefan
01-03-2005, 07:44 AM
Here we go again!!! Everyone said the same thing last year and didn't give the guys we brought in a shot. Lets wait and find out what direction is the team planning to go towards first. I believe the Dline played exceptional this year!!!!

If anything we need to fix the oline...to keep a consistant running game. What's the use of getting a Speedrushing DE if we cannot score points.

Redskinmayhem
01-03-2005, 07:47 AM
A speed DE is great but do you think we'd be a top rush D with e speed DE blowing every play wide as though it were a pass play? I think the Dline is fine but a situational speed rusher would be nice to have. Let's work on a DE in the draft. No more hi $$ FA's.

Jimreaper007
01-03-2005, 07:55 AM
Are you guys watching the same game I am watching?

A starting NFL caliber center that is strong enough to hold his blocks and Savvy enough to make proper line calls and blitz pickups.

That is absolutely crucial because as we saw this year, a bad Center weakens the entire line.

2Cooley
01-03-2005, 07:59 AM
center

GolfFreak
01-03-2005, 08:04 AM
I agree with the comments so far, I think we have situational pass rushers already on the team (see Clemons). I think our top priority is the OLine.

HollywoodKolt
01-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Our defensive line played above and beyond all expectations this year, against the run. Our pass rush wasn't there when the blitz was taken away from us, see the dallas game see the minnesota game when we had a 3 or 4 man rush. A defensive end who can consistently put pressure on the QB would turn this defense from a good one into a great one.

Patrick
01-03-2005, 08:06 AM
A better record ........ :D

2Cooley
01-03-2005, 08:07 AM
A better record ........ :D
:lol1:

IowaSkinsFan
01-03-2005, 08:07 AM
A great pass rusher is worth their weight in gold. When you can get a pass rush from your front four and don't have to bring the house, you can do more things coverage wise.

The question is, do we already have someone on the roster who can fill that role for us in Chris Clemons? Or do we need to look at FA for a Dwight Freeney or a John Abraham?

I don't personally think there is a pure pass rusher in the draft that is a definite upgrade over what we have, which is why we might end up going WR in the first round, especially if Mike Williams is still there when we pick, which after yesterday, might be a long shot now.

2Cooley
01-03-2005, 08:10 AM
Do we have Dwight Freeney or John Abraham money, cause i would love them?

Jimreaper007
01-03-2005, 08:14 AM
At this point a DE is just piling on with regard to the defense. The skins seem to be able to bring plenty of heat when they want to...

The center position is the one place on the O-line where you cannot afford to be bad. Especially if you want a balanced football team. I was initially against moving people around on the line this year but the fact is there are several very good Guard prospects available that can play in the NFL now. If the Redskins grabbed either the guard (Brown) from Virginia or the kid from Maryland they could move Thomas our best lineman this year to center. he is a veteran and he could handle the switch.

The only thing that makes me bulk on that is the fact that we need a wide reciever so bad it hurts. Gardner is gone and Jacobs is a good #3. We need a Good #2 guy and if Williams is on the board at 9 you have to take him. Remember 30 touchdowns is 30 touchdowns.

If the Skins can find a way to trade down and get Williams and a good guard they can be set for the season. That new Right Guard would have Thomas on his left and Jansen on his right so he would be just fine.

redwolf1218
01-03-2005, 08:15 AM
We need the league's most dominating offensive line, I.M.O., starting with specifically a top notch center. Cory Raymer is getting manhandled consistently and either gets pushed straight back into the backfield, or simply gets beat for the sack, or gets called for holding far too often. Lenny Friedman is a serviceable backup but at 283 pounds he's too small to take on 320-340 pound defensive tackles and nose guards.

Jimreaper007
01-03-2005, 08:18 AM
Freeney or whoever was on the opposite end position would have 30 sacks.

Man...the thought of him flying around the corner just made the hair on the back of my neck standup. Jeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzz that guy looks like he is shot out of a cannon off the line.

OSHA Might declare Fedex an unsafe workplace for QB's

Jimreaper007
01-03-2005, 08:22 AM
We need the league's most dominating offensive line, I.M.O., starting with specifically a top notch center. Cory Raymer is getting manhandled consistently and either gets pushed straight back into the backfield, or simply gets beat for the sack, or gets called for holding far too often. Lenny Friedman is a serviceable backup but at 283 pounds he's too small to take on 320-340 pound defensive tackles and nose guards.

Amen....

I swear one Bengals DT picked Raymer up and threw him at Brunell.

I have it on my TIVO and if I can clip it I will show you how bad Raymer and Friedman were this year and how it destroyed our line.

redwolf1218
01-03-2005, 08:25 AM
At this point a DE is just piling on with regard to the defense. The skins seem to be able to bring plenty of heat when they want to...

The center position is the one place on the O-line where you cannot afford to be bad. Especially if you want a balanced football team. I was initially against moving people around on the line this year but the fact is there are several very good Guard prospects available that can play in the NFL now. If the Redskins grabbed either the guard (Brown) from Virginia or the kid from Maryland they could move Thomas our best lineman this year to center. he is a veteran and he could handle the switch.

The only thing that makes me bulk on that is the fact that we need a wide reciever so bad it hurts. Gardner is gone and Jacobs is a good #3. We need a Good #2 guy and if Williams is on the board at 9 you have to take him. Remember 30 touchdowns is 30 touchdowns.

If the Skins can find a way to trade down and get Williams and a good guard they can be set for the season. That new Right Guard would have Thomas on his left and Jansen on his right so he would be just fine.
I agree with this except adding to it, i'd like to leave Thomas at guard and add a great center, and i'd like to have a number 1 receiver and let Coles be the number 2. He'd torch most corners that way.

garedskin
01-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Another Big WR that can and will make plays on Sundays.Coles deserves alot of credit for gutting out the past 2 seasons with his injured foot.Gibbs needs another WR to compliment Coles. :Peace:

Beast56Redskin
01-03-2005, 10:40 AM
A speed DE is great but do you think we'd be a top rush D with e speed DE blowing every play wide as though it were a pass play? I think the Dline is fine but a situational speed rusher would be nice to have. Let's work on a DE in the draft. No more hi $$ FA's.

thats got my vote.

split3clemente
01-03-2005, 11:21 AM
I kinda like our O-Line, Samuels (if we can restructure his big contract) is very solid, Dockery is improving, Thomas is one of the best and Jansen is a beast once he comes back. All we need is a solid center then we can conecentrate on D-Line or WR help

2Cooley
01-03-2005, 11:30 AM
who is the best FA center

redwolf1218
01-03-2005, 11:35 AM
we could probably trade down from the 10 spot in the draft and get a few extra picks and still get the top rated center in the draft. McCants can step up...i think he was slow to learn Gibbs' system & terminology...Coles Jacobs and Thrash are solid.

PA Skins Girl
01-03-2005, 11:40 AM
We need a Wide Receiver that can get open down field.

Next, a DE.

Next, interior O-linemen.

Gibbs4Life
01-03-2005, 12:18 PM
You just proved the point as to why not to get a DE. If we had just scored 19 points a game instead of what we did. Hence if our offense had just been better we would have one games. And then you tried to flip it to sound like if our defense was just a little better we would have one games.

Wake up and smell the coffee, our offense sucks and was the reason why we didn't win games. Joe gibbs will do whatever it takes to make it better including drafting an offensive player. Ex mike williams, heath miller, elton brown

Redskinfan28
01-03-2005, 12:44 PM
What we need next year is a modified offensive system.

ConradCountry
01-03-2005, 12:50 PM
We need to make the OL of this team dominant right now they are all right but they need to be ridiculously dominant.

As much as everyone is saying I do not think that Thomas is that dominant in the running game, he is an athletic pass blocking OG that would be perfect for a west coast offense, but we need a clone of Dockery on the right side.

If you watched the Vikings game Dockery dominated a pro bowl DT in Kevin Williams, Thomas did not he got over [powered.

My vote is for Elton Brown and move Thomas to C.

Brokenstriker
01-03-2005, 01:08 PM
12 regular season wins

LadyNRedskinsfan
01-03-2005, 01:42 PM
OL
OL
OL
OL
OL
WR
DE
OL
OL
OL
OL
OL

golongdude
01-03-2005, 03:05 PM
You know, before the Minnesota game I had placed DE as a slightly higher priority. But after THAT PLAY I now acquiesce and realize a center is the key thing. I will put a good DE right below that, however. Raymer doesn't even belong as a backup, IMO. As a matter of fact, I was wondering if Friedman would be in on the next series.

colkurtz
01-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Center is our biggest need, but we should get that in FA, since draft picks are such a crap shoot. Get the best Center available through FA.

We need a big, fast, new WR to replace Gardner. That's where we will use our #9 first round draft pick.

Subsequent draft rounds will go toward OL and DE picks. Hopefully we can get a player or two that can stick.

Draft order:

WR
DE
OL
OL

FA order:

Center

LATrueRedskin
01-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Whatever it is, it's going to be on offense. I'd say we sure up this OLine and get a center. WR is a must as well.

LATrueRedskin
01-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Center is our biggest need, but we should get that in FA, since draft picks are such a crap shoot. Get the best Center available through FA.

We need a big, fast, new WR to replace Gardner. That's where we will use our #9 first round draft pick.

Subsequent draft rounds will go toward OL and DE picks. Hopefully we can get a player or two that can stick.

Draft order:

WR
DE
OL
OL

FA order:

Center

What centers are going to be out there this offseason?

War Hogg
01-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Amen....

I swear one Bengals DT picked Raymer up and threw him at Brunell.

I have it on my TIVO and if I can clip it I will show you how bad Raymer and Friedman were this year and how it destroyed our line.

lol, Thats hillarious.

War Hogg
01-03-2005, 04:38 PM
I know Gibbs is drooling over Heath Miller. I think he may go after him. That would be a helluva double tightend formation with Miller on one side and Cooley on the other.....

openallnight
01-03-2005, 04:51 PM
1. OL
2. OL
3. OL
4. TB - short yardage back
Most overrated need:
1. WR - If Gibbs trusted his OLine you'd see alot more longer passes getting called. You'd also see Ram connect alot more w/ his wideopen downfield targets if he had more time and trusted his oLine to protect.

colkurtz
01-03-2005, 05:16 PM
1. OL
2. OL
3. OL
4. TB - short yardage back
Most overrated need:
1. WR - If Gibbs trusted his OLine you'd see alot more longer passes getting called. You'd also see Ram connect alot more w/ his wideopen downfield targets if he had more time and trusted his oLine to protect.

Agreed with the need to solidify the OL. However, if you have WRs who can't get separation or drop the ball, no offensive line will be good enough. Also, Gibbs [current] philosophy is to use one less receiver to help block on the line.

So your #1 and #2 WR need to be dominant and very good. Coles (when healthy) is certainly in that category. Gardner is not, because he is inconsistent with his dropped balls and not getting open. That's why many say we need a new WR to open things up with our passing attack. I think we'll use the first round for a WR and use subsequent rounds for the OL.