PDA

View Full Version : JUST WONDERING, but what would happen if...

IMALILTEAPOT
01-05-2005, 04:00 PM
... if the O line is horrible next year, and we have no progress from this year or even last year. Is there a chance that (gulp) Bugels could be fired? I mean, I know its unlikely cuz Gibbs and Buges are like brothers, and I love Buges, but what if the O line really struggles badly next year, or even the year after that? Just asking

Spence
01-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Progress and production are all that matter. No one is irreplaceable.

2Cooley
01-05-2005, 04:17 PM
yep

SkinsKY
01-05-2005, 04:28 PM

Seconded. Bugel knows that he's in trouble if the line struggles. I love the man's passion, but he came here to coach and win and not to play "Remember when.." I think he would say the same.

Axegrinder
01-05-2005, 05:30 PM
I just want to chime in that this is an excellent question,youngin.
It would be a worst case scenario if we didn't improve.

NCskinsfanatic
01-05-2005, 05:40 PM
This line will be fine under bugel next season IMHO. You can bet that before Bugel gets the axe that he would resign himself ....he's not the type to o0verlook or accept poor job performance. But please let me say this.......We will have new lineman before Bugel is fired. Some of these same guys struggled under Marty and SS too. If anyone needs to prove themselves ....to me it's the players not Bugel....just my 2 cents.

hockeygoalie29
01-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Let's also not forget that Bugel was "sucker punched" in preseason when he lost his best lineman (Jansen if there was any doubt) and had to replace him with a 40+ year old who should be coaching by now. With a healthy Jansen, a new center, and a year of experiance under Bugel we will see a much better line next season.

CarMike
01-05-2005, 05:58 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Look for the counter trey to be used on occasions next year. If coach Gibbs keeps to his word, and overhauls the offense, he'll recognize that that play is outdated and can't be used on every run. Defenses are a lot quicker than they were 12 years ago. It'll work at certain times. But when a defense prepares for it on every play, it can be stopped. How many times did the DE chase down our RBs from behind last year? Plenty.

I'm hoping we'll see more zone blocking like they do in Denver. And if we do that, we'll see Clinton breaking more of those 64 yard TDs like he had on his very first carry of the season.

Meatsnack
01-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Given all the wars Gibbs and Bugel have fought together, I suspect it would take more than one or two seasons before Gibbs would let him go. I would venture so far as to say that Gibbs would resign himself before he would lay blame at Bugels feet that way.

In any case, how many times did you look at our line this year and say, "these guys look unprepared"? I saw guys who were physically beaten at times. Dockery looked lost from time to time but that is related more to him than coaching because it was the exception rather than the rule.

openallnight
01-05-2005, 05:59 PM
This line will be fine under bugel next season IMHO. You can bet that before Bugel gets the axe that he would resign himself ....he's not the type to o0verlook or accept poor job performance. But please let me say this.......We will have new lineman before Bugel is fired. Some of these same guys struggled under Marty and SS too. If anyone needs to prove themselves ....to me it's the players not Bugel....just my 2 cents.
I agree some players will be gone before Buges is. I think everyone (including Bugel) attributed ALL the line problems to Spurrier's system and not the personnel. After this season they realize that we have some serious personnel issues on the line. I look for a new C, TE, RT and maybe LG to be starting on next year's line. Although, I don't think Gibbs would fire Buges. I think he's too loyal to do that and would stick with him to the bitter end.

IMALILTEAPOT
01-05-2005, 06:01 PM
I agree some players will be gone before Buges is. I think everyone (including Bugel) attributed ALL the line problems to Spurrier's system and not the personnel. After this season they realize that we have some serious personnel issues on the line. I look for a new C, TE, RT and maybe LG to be starting on next year's line. Although, I don't think Gibbs would fire Buges. I think he's too loyal to do that and would stick with him to the bitter end.
we have a RT. Jansen

Skins57
01-05-2005, 06:03 PM

I hope you mean Jansen being the starting RT this new season. I could see a C but do not see other new players. Hopefully another offseason under Buges and Dockery,Thomas, Samuels, and Jansen will be able to become a very good line. We do need a few better players for depth so if we do lose someone we don't end up with Brown starting at T

openallnight
01-05-2005, 06:05 PM
we have a RT. Jansen
Sorry, I meant R. Brown would NOT be our starter. Assuming, Jansen shows well in MiniCamps. I'd assume he would be our starter. Although, I expect us to pick up another "starting" tackle in the offseason. So, we don't end up in the same boat as this past year in case someone goes down.

lrking75
01-05-2005, 06:19 PM
I think Buges has softened in his old age. I dont see him yelling and screaming anymore. Maybe that was they key to his success.

SkinsCT
01-05-2005, 06:24 PM
I think Buges has softened in his old age. I dont see him yelling and screaming anymore. Maybe that was they key to his success.

I don't think he has softened his approach, I saw him on the sidelines getting fired up and dropping curses here and there. I do agree with you that perhaps he went around with gloves on a bit this year. I think that when he gets his permanent line in there he will start getting fired up about lining up and knocking the snot out of the guy across the line.

IMALILTEAPOT
01-05-2005, 07:17 PM
doc walker said something that when he gets his hat turned backwards, thats when he gets really hyped.

Redskinfan28
01-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Jansen's return will be huge and that in itself will go a long way to fixing the problems...

Jimreaper007
01-05-2005, 08:20 PM
I think Gibbs would fire his mother to win.

If Bugel is a problem Gibbs will can him in a cocaine induced heartbeat.

lakeskin
01-05-2005, 09:16 PM

I think for a guy like Gibbs, loyalty factors in there too.

CowboyKilla
01-06-2005, 12:09 AM
What if the sky fell tomorrow? Come on Buges aint' going nowhere.