PDA

View Full Version : Who here has HD for their Television?

dj_stouty
01-12-2005, 10:22 AM
The wife and I are considering getting an HD box for our big screen.

We already have DirecTv, and we would get the normal HD package through them (DiscoveryHD, HBO-HD, ESPN-HD, Sunday Ticket...etc), as well as get the local affiliates through an antenna.

Anyone already have HD on their TV? How is it?

Any comments, suggestions or advice?

LATrueRedskin
01-12-2005, 12:08 PM
I don't have it, but a family member does, so I couldn't tell you about how much it's worth for your money. To me, though, it's pretty awesome. I watched the Colts-Lions game on Thanksgiving in HD and it was damn good. And I've seen the Discovery stuff too and it looks very, very cool. My advice is to get it if the price isn't ridiculous. You'll enjoy it.

dj_stouty
01-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks, LA.

I've owned my bigscreen for almost 2 years now, and I'm tired of the crappy resolution. It was built for HD, so I might as well make it work at 100%.

LATrueRedskin
01-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks, LA.

I've owned my bigscreen for almost 2 years now, and I'm tired of the crappy resolution. It was built for HD, so I might as well make it work at 100%.

Yeah if you have a big screen, you gotta get it.

tbfoster1
01-12-2005, 01:02 PM
how much do those things cost, i've got a big screen here thats HD compatible and i never really looked into it.

funnyperson1
01-12-2005, 01:12 PM
We have the Dish Network HD package and it looks really sweet. Unfortunately, we don't have HBO or Showtime so the HD programming is only from TNT, Discover, and ESPN. The Dish HDMovie channel sucks and always has old movies that are boring.

The problem was trying to get the freaking broadcast channels in HD. We have gone through 3 different indoor antennas which worked marginally the best option being the Radio Shack one with picks up FOX, ABC, and CBS if we put it in the attic. We have picked up a big antenna to install in the attic, so hopefully that would work better. From what my dad has read our proximity to Dulles airport (less than two miles straight line probably) and our relative distance from DC might be hurting our attempts to pick up HD broadcasts.

tbfoster, the receiver/pvr from dish was $500, and you will most probably need a receiver. Generic HD receivers from Samsung were 3-400 dollars from BB. A good antenna will be from 50-100 dollars.

RedskinsDave
01-12-2005, 01:12 PM
I have it but, to be honest, I hardly ever watch the HD. There aren't enough channels to justify the money. I may take my HD box back.

dj_stouty
01-12-2005, 01:13 PM
how much do those things cost, i've got a big screen here thats HD compatible and i never really looked into it.

Do you have DirecTv? If so, the HD box is about 350 buck...and you will need a separate antenna for the local stations, which costs you another 50 bucks.

DirecTv charges 10 bucks a month for their HD package, which covers Discovery, ESPN, Premium channels, PPV channels and Sunday Ticket.

The location stations are still free...

Vonslydog
01-12-2005, 01:38 PM
In Centreville you can get HD through Cox Cable. You don't have to buy a HD decoder box, because the HD decoder is built into the cable box. The cable box rental for the HD version is a few dollars a month more than the regular Digital box, but the HD channels themselves are free. All the broadcast network channels in HD are free, and if you have HBO, then HBO HD is free too. Same for showtime. I think you used to have to pay 6 bucks for Discovery HD, but now it is included for free as well. Benefit of cable over DirectTV is you dont have to buy the converter box, you just have to pay an extra five or ten bucks a month for the cable box.

dj_stouty
01-12-2005, 01:41 PM
Benefit of cable over DirectTV is you dont have to buy the converter box, you just have to pay an extra five or ten bucks a month for the cable box.

But...the downside is that you can't watch the NFL Sunday Ticket unless you have DirecTv.....

AGibbsGirl
01-12-2005, 03:34 PM
~~~~~~sigh~~~~~weeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaave it from Adelphia aaaahhhhh, once you see football in HD you will never go back. I also love the concerts that they do on HD and I love that we get the local channels in HD.

rskinsfan10
01-12-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm in the same boat as you DJ. I have a 51" HD Ready TV, but I have been putting off buying the DirecTV HD box for well over a year now, hoping that it would go down in price. No dice so far. I may buckle down and get it soon though.

dj_stouty
01-12-2005, 09:21 PM
I'm in the same boat as you DJ. I have a 51" HD Ready TV, but I have been putting off buying the DirecTV HD box for well over a year now, hoping that it would go down in price. No dice so far. I may buckle down and get it soon though.

Do you have the Toshiba 51"? That is the one I have.

I think the prices have gone down a little bit over the last 2 years....

I'm just getting tired of watching broadcasts in 4:3 ratio on a tv designed for 16:9 ratio.

rskinsfan10
01-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Do you have the Toshiba 51"? That is the one I have.

I think the prices have gone down a little bit over the last 2 years....

I'm just getting tired of watching broadcasts in 4:3 ratio on a tv designed for 16:9 ratio.

Yep, the Toshiba it is.

I think my expexted tax refund will help go towards the purchase of my HD essentials.

IowaSkinsFan
01-15-2005, 09:51 AM
The wife and I are considering getting an HD box for our big screen.

We already have DirecTv, and we would get the normal HD package through them (DiscoveryHD, HBO-HD, ESPN-HD, Sunday Ticket...etc), as well as get the local affiliates through an antenna.

Anyone already have HD on their TV? How is it?

Any comments, suggestions or advice?

I have an integrated HD TV, but right now I only have basic cable, so I either need to get a dish or an HD antenna, which I already have, it's sitting in my office and I need to bring it home.

rskinsfan10
02-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Hey DJ, the DirecTV guy just left my place. I made the plunge, and now I'm sitting here with a huge smile on my face. :D

Axegrinder
02-05-2005, 08:25 PM
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Thousands of fans who recently bought high definition televisions in anticipation of hosting a great Super Bowl party are about to tune into a low definition disappointment.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/04/commentary/column_sportsbiz/sportsbiz/index.htm

hockeygoalie29
02-06-2005, 03:24 PM
My parents just bought a 57" Toshiba about a month ago and I've been trying to convince them to switch from DirctTV (which I bought for them when they moved 4 years ago) to Comcast. They want the HD but don't want to buy the several hundred dollar box required for DirectTV so they are probably going to take my advice and switch to Comcast, which doesn't require any expensive equipment, and get HD for just $10 extra a month. Not to mention that they will also get Comcast cable internet and finally be done with dial-up!!!

superskin
02-06-2005, 09:02 PM
~~~~~~sigh~~~~~weeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaave it from Adelphia aaaahhhhh, once you see football in HD you will never go back. I also love the concerts that they do on HD and I love that we get the local channels in HD.

I AGREE. I have had HD for a year now, and there is nothing better than football (particularly NIGHT games) in HD. You can see every little scratch on the helmets. The only downside is that once you watch shows in HD, all of the other channels look like crap, lol.

dj_stouty
02-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Hey DJ, the DirecTV guy just left my place. I made the plunge, and now I'm sitting here with a huge smile on my face. :D

LOL...Mine was installed on Monday....and I can't get enough of it.

HD makes all of the non-HD channels look like you are looking through a camera that is not perfectly focused.

The SB in high-def was great...although I noticed it was broadcast in 720 instead of 1080i. Either way, the game looked great.

rskinsfan10
02-07-2005, 04:37 PM
LOL...Mine was installed on Monday....and I can't get enough of it.

HD makes all of the non-HD channels look like you are looking through a camera that is not perfectly focused.

The SB in high-def was great...although I noticed it was broadcast in 720 instead of 1080i. Either way, the game looked great.
I've noticed that ESPN HD is broadcast in 720 also.

Which receiver (manufacturer) did you wind up with?