PDA

View Full Version : "Sorry Ma'am, we cant put out your fire since your check bounced"

akhhorus
01-27-2005, 09:14 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=445987

Iowa Fire Dept. to Charge for Services

Residents will be charged a service fee for using the fire department's services. City Council voted Monday that the service fee will be effective immediately. Previously, there was only a charge for cleaning up hazardous material spills.

Now, when the fire department responds to an accident and extracts someone from a vehicle, there will be a $500 charge. Responding to a vehicle fire will cost from $150 to $500.

The charge for responding to a grass fire will be up to $300. The charge for a house fire will range from $300 to $500 and a commercial building fire will range from $300 to $1,000.

"I believe this is something that we've needed in place for quite a while, and it would be beneficial for the city to utilize this and to utilize it now," Hamilton said.

Had the fees been in place last year, the fire department would have taken in about $15,000, Fire Chief Ralph Hickenbottom said.

Many of the fees will be covered by people's homeowner or vehicle insurance policies, rather than by individuals themselves, Hickenbottom said.

Jimreaper007
01-27-2005, 09:24 AM
1. is this an effort to lower insurance costs?

2. What about people who cannot afford this?

3. Is this going to set a very interesting precedence?

hail2skins
01-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Where is IowaSkinsFan?

akhhorus
01-27-2005, 09:26 AM
Where is IowaSkinsFan?

yeah, i was tempted to titled this: "ISF, better get yourself an industrial sprinkler system"

tommahawk
01-27-2005, 09:26 AM
I use to be a Volenteer firefighter and EMT.
This is wrong.
The last thing anyone who just lost their house or vehicle, missed time from work, needs is another bill.
This will cause people who see a brush fire near their home to not call. Or if someone smells a gas leak. Why should I be the one to call and have to pay the $500?
Either you care about your community and the people in it or you don't. If you don't you shouldn't make those who do pay.

smoak
01-27-2005, 09:27 AM
That is just wrong. Explain to me again why we pay taxes??? Oh yeah... Operation Long Enduring and Painful Freedom or something?

Jimreaper007
01-27-2005, 09:32 AM
This will prompt vehicle makers to build self extricating mechanisms in vehicles thus raising the average car price to $100,000. Meanwhile sprinkler systems will be the law for homes.

bfauble83
01-27-2005, 12:12 PM
That is just wrong. Explain to me again why we pay taxes??? Oh yeah... Operation Long Enduring and Painful Freedom or something?

Sad, but true. You should know by now that as American citizens we are at the bottom of the list when it comes to receiving help from our own tax dollars.

LadyNRedskinsfan
01-27-2005, 12:33 PM
as someone who had their entire house burn down to its foundation......this really pisses me off. the last thing on your mind when you lose everything is..oh man, how are we going to pay the fire department. :doh:

Minnesota Mike
01-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Governments all over the country are being stuck for cash in the face of all of these "No New Tax" pledges candidates are signing. So instead of raising taxes, the government is forced to adopt "Fee for services" options. One of the first things that was hit was trash collection (used to be included in taxes, but now there is a seperate fee). Schools have increased activity fees similarly.

This is just sort of a natural progression.

smoak
01-27-2005, 01:17 PM
I really do not understand why I have to pa a school tax when the public schools are so bad that I then would have to turn around and pay for private school...

Not that I have kids but if I did I'd be grouchy.

Even when I was in HS I voted against tax hike referendums b/c I thought they used students to sway the vote by threatening them with cut backs... It is shameful.

Jimreaper007
01-27-2005, 01:24 PM
Governments all over the country are being stuck for cash in the face of all of these "No New Tax" pledges candidates are signing. So instead of raising taxes, the government is forced to adopt "Fee for services" options. One of the first things that was hit was trash collection (used to be included in taxes, but now there is a seperate fee). Schools have increased activity fees similarly.

Well hopefully we the people will stop being swayed by politicians who scream about no taxes and starting to figure out that somethings are worth taxes like Education, Road Maintenance and Basic Emergency Services.

The GOP has made a living off of making taxes evil. Hopefully people will have enough sense to see past the election yak and figure out for themselves what is a good tax and what is not so good.

smoak
01-27-2005, 01:29 PM
This will prompt vehicle makers to build self extricating mechanisms in vehicles thus raising the average car price to $100,000. Meanwhile sprinkler systems will be the law for homes.

For some reason that just makes me think of OnStar...

Driver - (pushes OnStar button)
OnStar Rep - OnStar. How many I help you?
Driver - Help! I'm trapped in my burning car! Call the fire department.
OnStar Rep - Ok sir. Now I see in your area that will be a $500 fee.
Driver - WHAT!!!? But I'm going to die...
OnStar Rep - Should we charge that to your MasterCard?
Driver - Yes, please just help me...
OnStar Rep - I'm sorry sir. It seems you are over your credit line. Would you like me to forward you to your customer service rep to request a credit line increase?
Driver - But...
OnStar Rep - One moment please.

--Blind transfer with a 5 minute hold--

Customer Service Rep - Thank you for calling Capital One, may I help you?
Driver - Please I am trapped in my car and its on fire! I need help immediately!
Customer Service Rep - I'm sorry to hear that sure, but you'll have to contact OnStar directly.

Skins57
01-27-2005, 01:37 PM
I think to be safe I am moving this to the political forum

Jimreaper007
01-27-2005, 04:07 PM
For some reason that just makes me think of OnStar...

Driver - (pushes OnStar button)
OnStar Rep - OnStar. How many I help you?
Driver - Help! I'm trapped in my burning car! Call the fire department.
OnStar Rep - Ok sir. Now I see in your area that will be a $500 fee.
Driver - WHAT!!!? But I'm going to die...
OnStar Rep - Should we charge that to your MasterCard?
Driver - Yes, please just help me...
OnStar Rep - I'm sorry sir. It seems you are over your credit line. Would you like me to forward you to your customer service rep to request a credit line increase?
Driver - But...
OnStar Rep - One moment please.

--Blind transfer with a 5 minute hold--

Customer Service Rep - Thank you for calling Capital One, may I help you?
Driver - Please I am trapped in my car and its on fire! I need help immediately!
Customer Service Rep - I'm sorry to hear that sure, but you'll have to contact OnStar directly.

:lol1:

IowaSkinsFan
01-27-2005, 07:34 PM

Iowa is all about that "Fee for services" deal.

We pay $1.25 per bag of refuse (40lb limit per bag) to have it hauled away, plus we are charged $2 a month for a landfill closure fee.

IowaSkinsFan
01-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Where is IowaSkinsFan?

Here I am, and I am about to bring my considerable knowledge to bear on the subject.

yeah, i was tempted to titled this: "ISF, better get yourself an industrial sprinkler system"

The town of the article you cited is Fairfield, Iowa. It is a half hour west of of where I live. The town is poorly governed. Tax dollars are rumored to be wasted on the frivolous.

It should also be pointed out that the city council is controlled by Democrats, as is the office of the Mayor.

JoeDaSchmoe
01-27-2005, 11:36 PM
This is, by far, one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. It's stupidity on the level of invading Iran, the making of Gigli, and Gheorge Muresan. And that's pretty darn stupid.

Jimreaper007
01-28-2005, 10:35 AM
This is, by far, one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. It's stupidity on the level of invading Iran, the making of Gigli, and Gheorge Muresan. And that's pretty darn stupid.

:banghead: