PDA

View Full Version : free stuff sites

swheeler
01-31-2005, 09:21 PM
Has anyone tried any of those "free ipod", "free flatscreen", etc. sites that have you fill out offers and refer other people and then send you free stuff? I've heard they work, but it's always "my friend's sister's ex-boyfriend did this and got a free ipod" or something like that, never anyone I actually knew.

It seems like with an already established group of people who spend too much time on the internet we could really use these things to our advantage.

I'm sure I'm going to get a ton of spam, but the only offer I had to do was free as long as I cancel in time, so I thought why not try it.

If anyone's interested in the flatscreen one, please use my referral link and I'll happily help you get a free ipod or something in return: www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=14709649

SkinsKY
01-31-2005, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I'll pass. If you do get a free one, let me know. I had a friend who did one of those "get paid to surf the web" things where you keep an ad bar open on your desktop while you surfed. I thought he was stupid until he got a check in the mail. I personally made about $50 before they realized they couldn't make any money and shut it down. Easiest money I ever made. I had a program that would move my mouse and click various websites so that I would earn money when in class, or asleep, or whatever.

Santheb
01-31-2005, 10:29 PM
I'll pass. Usually its just a bunch of spyware and when they ask for an email address, they sell it to a bunch of people (thats how they make their money) and your inbox gets FLOODED with email. Thats why people have fake accounts, though. Its still annoying and usually there is spyware included in the ad bar that SkinsKY mentioned, too. When you install it, if you read the entire documentation, it'll say you agree to install <some form of spyware> which is pretty bad :/ I hate spyware with a passion.

swheeler
01-31-2005, 10:33 PM
There's nothing to download, so i doubt there's spyware, but i don't worry too much about these things cuz i have a mac :D

BTW, a preemptive congrats on 1000 posts

SkinsKY
01-31-2005, 10:39 PM
Well, if you use IE, you can have spyware installed without you even knowing about it. Now, if you use Mozilla Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org), it won't happen. 25% of internet users are now using Firefox.

Santheb
01-31-2005, 10:42 PM
Firefox/Firebird user for over a year now. It is definitley the greatest thing since sliced bread. And its free! I would TOTALLY pay for Firefox and Thunderbird if I knew how to use it. If they ever start charging for it, I'm going to buy it and never look back.

Have you checked out the "Extensions" for Firefox? If you don't, I'll give ya a link to them. They are really pretty nifty. I've got one that comes up as a little box about once an hour that tells me the current weather conditions, and the forecast for the current day, current night, and following day in the top right.

edit: and a preemptive thanks :)

SkinsKY
01-31-2005, 10:47 PM
I don't have a weather extension, but I have one for my gmail account to notify me of new messages. I have a couple others. I've been using Firefox since 2003. I absolutely love this thing. I actually converted my dad and brother and I'm working on my office, but they don't seem to care. I think I will install it on all their machines when they go to do something.

Santheb
01-31-2005, 10:48 PM
I installed it on my mothers machine. She had been using IE before, but I put an end to that. Installed Firefox, and on the desktop, renamed it from "Mozilla Firefox" to "USE THIS FOR INTERNET." It seems to have worked :P Whenever I go to clean up the machine, it runs so much smoother.

SkinsKY
01-31-2005, 10:50 PM
I installed it on my mothers machine. She had been using IE before, but I put an end to that. Installed Firefox, and on the desktop, renamed it from "Mozilla Firefox" to "USE THIS FOR INTERNET." It seems to have worked :P Whenever I go to clean up the machine, it runs so much smoother.

That's classic. My dad got hooked enough that he bought him, my brother and myself Firefox t-shirts. He fought it for a full year and I finally won.

Santheb
01-31-2005, 10:53 PM
That's classic. My dad got hooked enough that he bought him, my brother and myself Firefox t-shirts. He fought it for a full year and I finally won.

I want one :/ I don't understand whats not to like about Firefox. I mean, it even loads pages faster than IE, because of the way its structured. Its without a doubt the BEST browser available. Some prefer Opera, but the free version of Opera has that ugly bar :/ Firefox is just the best.

SkinsKY
01-31-2005, 11:01 PM
I want one :/ I don't understand whats not to like about Firefox. I mean, it even loads pages faster than IE, because of the way its structured. Its without a doubt the BEST browser available. Some prefer Opera, but the free version of Opera has that ugly bar :/ Firefox is just the best.

Between this and Newegg, we seem cut from the same cloth. Or maybe just that we seem to be the only two around this time of night.

LadyNRedskinsfan
01-31-2005, 11:11 PM
Has anyone tried any of those "free ipod", "free flatscreen", etc. sites that have you fill out offers and refer other people and then send you free stuff? I've heard they work, but it's always "my friend's sister's ex-boyfriend did this and got a free ipod" or something like that, never anyone I actually knew.

It seems like with an already established group of people who spend too much time on the internet we could really use these things to our advantage.

I'm sure I'm going to get a ton of spam, but the only offer I had to do was free as long as I cancel in time, so I thought why not try it.

If anyone's interested in the flatscreen one, please use my referral link and I'll happily help you get a free ipod or something in return: www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=14709649
i came reallllly close to trying this thing once, but i didnt just because at the end, i really didnt trust it and im glad i didnt.....all i had to do was wait until christmas to get my http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/rachay/36_1_52.gif. :D

Santheb and SkinsKY: is firefox really that good? i use netscape and really dont have many issues with it but if firefox is that good, i may try it out.

PGiddy18
01-31-2005, 11:11 PM
Between this and Newegg, we seem cut from the same cloth. Or maybe just that we seem to be the only two around this time of night.
Hey there are other night crawlers!!! :D I keep trying different programs, but for my campus wide system, IE just seems to be working the best, so i guess i'm stuck with it for now.

swheeler
02-01-2005, 01:13 AM
You guys got nothing on the late nights. I think I close hR most nights that I'm on. Probably helps that I'm a few time zones away...

I use Safari, which came with my computer and is a lot like Firefox. It's got the google search, tabs, fast loading, popup blocker, lack of spyware, etc. But as far as Windows browsers go, Firefox is definitely the best. PGiddy, you should be able to use any browser on your campus as long as its configured right and its probably worth the effort to switch.

Santheb
02-01-2005, 05:29 AM

I guess so :P

And Lady, yes, it really is that good. It would be kind of dumb just to not give it a try at the very least. http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox. Free download :)

CarMike
02-01-2005, 07:27 AM
I made the switch to Firefox. I'll letcha know what I think of it after a week...:D

Jimreaper007
02-01-2005, 07:38 AM
Me too....:D

tbfoster1
02-01-2005, 10:03 AM
i made the switch to firefox, it seems to be faster so far

bfauble83
02-01-2005, 12:14 PM
You can also download Yahoo toolbar which has a popup blocker and a spyware scanner that will delete spyware for you.

Santheb
02-01-2005, 01:59 PM
I guess me and SkinsKY may have added some new supporters to the "movement" :P

JoeDaSchmoe
02-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Alright, made the switch today, and I'm hooked. I've got it all customized with themes and this sweet little add-on that lets me play my mp3s in a toolbar at the bottom.... Muy excelente.

Santheb
02-02-2005, 05:30 AM
Good job JDS :)

CarMike
02-02-2005, 06:07 AM
Alright, made the switch today, and I'm hooked. I've got it all customized with themes and this sweet little add-on that lets me play my mp3s in a toolbar at the bottom.... Muy excelente.

How the heck did you do that Joe?

Where did you go to customize? Thanks in advance. ;)

JoeDaSchmoe
02-02-2005, 06:52 AM
How the heck did you do that Joe?

Where did you go to customize? Thanks in advance. ;)

Here ya go. (http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/)

Santheb
02-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Customization is just one of the many, many features of Firefox :P