PDA

View Full Version : Db Thoughts?

greatest2
02-02-2005, 02:18 PM
With smoot potentially leaving, one wonders where do we go from here. I know Harris started at INDY but i don't like him starting for us. I think CB is a big concern, as is the WR. I heard about Surtain being allowed to search for a trade from MIAMI. With MIAMI already 16 million over the salary cap, i think his trade value drops. I still think surtain is to much for us to grab. I don't know where to go, there wasn't a stand out college man this year for DB. And i really think we need a DE with the 9th pick.

What do you guys think we should do if we can't resign smoot?
Concider what we need- WR, DE, CB and a CEnter. and think of our numbers in draft picks and where they are in the draft. Don't forget the Salary Cap

WOW, theres alot to think about, plus stuff i din't say. HELP

Patrick
02-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Hate the thought of having to use anything higher the a fourth round dp to pickup another CB .......... I'd be looking (regardless if Smoot signs or not) for a solid FA CB.

redwolf1218
02-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Taylor is great. I'm not impressed with Bowen, Lott, Franz, Patrick Dennis or Jason Doering and only marginally impressed with Ryan Clark. and half of them are broken. it remains to be seen who will be fully recovered and 100% next year. i hope we get a couple of DB's in the draft who can be either be starters or backups at both safety spots, and who have good size, speed and special teams experience.

chrisbcbu
02-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Start Jimoh!

/sarcasm

Meatsnack
02-02-2005, 02:57 PM
I have both Brandon Browner and Ernest Shazor on my first day value board. If the FO decides to go that direction I think we could get either in Rnd 2. if we trade down or put a transition tag on Smoot and trade him for a 2. Shazor is more likely to fall to the second round of the two of them. At 6'3 and well over 220 pounds, he would make an imposing "twin tower" next to ST. Browner is a 6'4" 205# corner - yes, corner - who can run. If he runs under 4.5 at the combine, he will go in round 1.

CB is deep in this draft and developmental players will be available throughout day 2. Small school burners with questionable technique (Elimimian) or bigger guys who seem to lack that extra gear but are physical (Bartells) should be thick on the ground. Some people are saying that Corey Webster struggled enough during Senior Bowl week to have played himself into day 2, so there is always a chance that a major conference prospect will drop. Ahhh! I love he draft. :helpme:

BigCountry
02-02-2005, 03:04 PM
The more I think about, the more I realize a player who's yet to make the pro bowl just turned us down on a 10 mil signing bonus. Anyways I think this is a tough question, but free agency might be the best way to go. Even though the draft is deep, I'm not sure if we can afford to break in a rookie corner. However, if we spend some money on a deffensive end in free agency, the corner I'd take is Antrell Rolle.

LadyNRedskinsfan
02-02-2005, 03:22 PM
if we lose smoot, id rather find his replacement through free agency....

PennSkinsFan
02-02-2005, 03:22 PM
I trust Williams liek I did last year. When Williams indicated we coudl pick up a FA liek Springs and get just as good coverage as resigning Champ, but much cheaper, I believed him. He was correct. Whe GW states that Harris can start and be completely effective, again, I believe him. After all the injuries on defense this seasona nd as good as they played, I have a hard time questioning Gregg Williams.

IowaSkinsFan
02-02-2005, 03:26 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if we address the pass rush issue with a stud DE, a guy that can genuinely get after the passer, that makes us less reliant on the blitz, our coverage will be much better and we can afford to go with a less talented, less expensive CB. I think we will be fine with Harris and Springs.

redskin_rich
02-02-2005, 03:42 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if we address the pass rush issue with a stud DE, a guy that can genuinely get after the passer, that makes us less reliant on the blitz, our coverage will be much better and we can afford to go with a less talented, less expensive CB. I think we will be fine with Harris and Springs.
:goodpost: Thats exactly how I see it. If we spend any money on Defense, it should be upgrading one of our Ends. Replace Wynn, IMO.

skins111111
02-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Harris and Springs (if they both stay healthy all season) could be fine. We need a stud WR while the getting is good (9th)..........pickins will be a little slim in the years to come (32nd-31st-30th) you know what I'm talkin about.
We can pick up a DE through FA or latter in the draft

suppitty
02-02-2005, 03:51 PM
If we don't find a way to get smoot back then i think we have to get a corner that can compete with harris for the #2 spot, and be a solid nickelback at the very least. I wouldn't mind drafting a corner early on day 2 of the draft either just to make sure that a shawn springs injury would'nt completely devestate our defense.

ConradCountry
02-02-2005, 05:21 PM
There is a lot of solid CBs in the FA pool so I think at worst we should draft one in any round later then 1.

coleman51
02-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Start Jimoh!

/sarcasm

Yeah....don't laugh.
Jimoh can run and he is a real good tackler which is necessary for a safety. His coverage skills wouldn't be exposed as much as a safety either.

skinswin
02-02-2005, 06:44 PM
If were going to spend big bucks on a FA DB, then I'd rather have Ken Lucas then Smoot. He's bigger, faster and a better tackler too. Not to mention he can cover as well.

Redskin006
02-02-2005, 07:00 PM
If were going to spend big bucks on a FA DB, then I'd rather have Ken Lucas then Smoot. He's bigger, faster and a better tackler too. Not to mention he can cover as well.

I totally agree. I like Lucas and him and Springs played together before. I want to address our receiver and DE needs through the draft though. I like Erasmus james. and then i was thinking that we can franchise smoot and trade him and gardner. we could then use the pick we get to draft clayton.

JoeJacksonTaylor28
02-03-2005, 12:08 PM
I trust Williams liek I did last year. When Williams indicated we coudl pick up a FA liek Springs and get just as good coverage as resigning Champ, but much cheaper, I believed him. He was correct. Whe GW states that Harris can start and be completely effective, again, I believe him. After all the injuries on defense this seasona nd as good as they played, I have a hard time questioning Gregg Williams.
GW lied.

Coverage was much better with Shawn. :)

The good thing is that everything that happens, I'll trust the coaches. I think we'll get a CAPABLE CB via FA.