PDA

View Full Version : An old Joe Gibbs memory.

Skinzaholic
02-16-2005, 01:15 PM
I was rewatching the Redskins victory over the Denver Brocos in Superbowl 22 the other day and during the post game interview Coach Gibbs was asked to put the Green Bay rumor to rest. From what was said I am gathering that the rumor had Gibbs going to Green Bay after the season in 1987. Since I was in highschhol at the time and too interested in chasing females to care I must have missed this.

Does anyone remember who can elaborate for me?

smoak
02-16-2005, 01:17 PM
Wow!? Really? I have that game on DVD so I'll have to go back and re-watch it!?

I really don't remember it at all but I was even a little younger.

LATrueRedskin
02-16-2005, 01:57 PM
This is news to me. Pretty shocking news actually. I had no idea about that.

smoak
02-16-2005, 01:59 PM
The only thing I remember is Carolina flirting with him when they first came into the league.

bantu
02-16-2005, 02:16 PM
Never knew about it. I was 8.

JoeJacksonTaylor28
02-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Never knew about it. I was 8.
I was 7, and it was my first day as a Redskin. I was too excited with the victory to notice that... hopefully someone will clear that one.

CarMike
02-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Yeah, news to me as well. Just like the news about the Redskins wanting to trade for John Elway. I just heard of this last year....

redskin_rich
02-16-2005, 03:57 PM
I don't remember anything about a Green Bay rumor.
The coach of Green Bay at the time[Forrest Gregg] had resigned on 1/15/88, so maybe the rumor at the time was they were going after Gibbs. They ended up with Lindy Infante.

smoak
02-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Yeah, news to me as well. Just like the news about the Redskins wanting to trade for John Elway. I just heard of this last year....

WHAT!!!?? Why? When? If it was when Elway was drafted, then ok I was too young to follo it but I never heard we were trying to trade for "old man Elway"?

Wow!?

CarMike
02-16-2005, 04:02 PM
WHAT!!!?? Why? When? If it was when Elway was drafted, then ok I was too young to follo it but I never heard we were trying to trade for "old man Elway"?

Wow!?

It was stated pretty widely either last offseason or beginning of the season. And I think it was back in '92 or '93.

It shocked me too. :)

Davey
02-16-2005, 05:43 PM
I did a google search and found a few references to a potential trade for Elway in 1992. Apparently Reeves and Elway weren't getting along.

"Winter and spring 1992: First come the trade rumors sending Elway to the Redskins. Then Reeves fires Mike Shanahan - the offensive coordinator and Elway's friend and confidant. Finally, Reeves drafts UCLA quarterback Tommy Maddox in the first round. Those events fuel a simmering feud between Reeves and Elway and stretch their relationship to the breaking point."

http://experts.about.com/q/277/3770389.htm

I can't find anything about Gibbs leaving to coach the Packers.

CarMike
02-17-2005, 06:32 AM
Thanks Davey! Didn't think about a Google search....Good job. Welcome to hR as well. :)

smoak
02-17-2005, 07:10 AM
Welcome Davey!

I remember Reeves and Elway not getting along, but I didn't realize there were trade rumors. Wow, makes you wonder how things might have been different (not drafting Shuler).

joethefan
02-17-2005, 07:50 AM
This is news to me. Pretty shocking news actually. I had no idea about that.
Me either.

wewantdallas
02-17-2005, 08:18 AM
I went through Rich Tandler's "Gut Check" book and didn't find anything suggesting Gibbs going to Green Bay, but I too saw the interview where it was brought up. It was probably just wild speculation that had little basis in fact.

What's just as shocking, though, is that while going through the book I saw stories from '89 that were talking about Darrell Green being traded to Denver. The trade, apparently was VERY close to happening, and the article even mentioned the Redskins thinking Green might have been on the "downside" of his career. Yeah, he only had 13 years left!!!

Luckily, Green agreed to a new contract (at 700,000 a year, chump change in this day and age) and the rest is history.

Wouldn't THAT have sucked????

Davey
02-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Meatsnack
02-17-2005, 01:15 PM
I was a sophomore in college and a follower of all things B&G, such that you could do before the web infiltrated everything. I don't recall any Green Bay rumor either. I do recall Green Bay sucking back then, though.

As to the Elway thing, I always called him "Ol' Horseteeth" for that goofy smile of his. I would have quickly changed my tune if he had played for us, though. He might have saved P-bones' job, anyway. Can you imagine what a coach like Gibbs could do with a QB like Elway anywhere near his prime?

skins111111
02-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys.

thanx for the participation..........keep up the good work :)

Skinzaholic
02-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Just to clarify things here... Many are saying they dont "recall" any Green Bay rumor. Really the question wasn't IF there was a rumor because during the interview Joe Gibbs answered regarding such (take a look if you have the game). The question was if anyone knew WHAT the rumor was exactly.

Carry on.

BigPlayJay
02-18-2005, 09:23 PM
I remeber this incident. The rumor was apparently out there, but not well known. I hadn't heard anything about it until the post game interview when the announcer interviewing Gibbs in the locker room asked him about it. It was the last question he asked, he said something like
" I hate to bring this up but the Green Bay Rumor, is there any truth there?"
Gibbs: "For who?" (sounding totally clueless)
"You"
Gibbs: " Oh no (laughing). I am under contract to Mr Cooke! I'm staying with the Redskins, this is where I'm going to be."
"There you have it, Joe Gibbs putting the rumor to rest"

I had that game on tape (I still have it but it is in Beta format unfortunately) and I watching it many times so I think i remebr it pretty good.

Hope that helps.

garedskin
02-19-2005, 11:05 AM
I remember hearing that and wondering where the hell did that come from.
There was always Rumors floating around then just as today.Gibbs was always linked as a possible solution for some team needing a winner brought to town.I remember there was some tension building between him and Beathard.Cooke had to mediate on occasion between them on players/ picks.Beathard stepped down after the 88 season over the Mike Oliphant for Ernest Byner trade(They had just traded 2 1st RD picks to Atlanta for Gerald Riggs).There where rumors about Gibbs/Beathard relationship and the press would throw out wild senerios on occasion.Just like the Greenbay reach. :Peace: