PDA

View Full Version : Akh's Final Oscar Picks

akhhorus
02-27-2005, 08:30 AM
PICTURE
The Aviator
-The trendy pick is Million Dollar Baby, but very few times has the picture with the most nominations lost. And all of those losers didn't have many acting noms. Aviator does.
ACTOR
Jamie Foxx, Ray

ACTRESS
Kate Winslet, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
-The fight between Hillary Swank and Annette Bening is reaching epic proportions. Lobbying firms have been called in to try to sway voters. I suspect that they split the vote and Winslet wins.
SUPP ACTOR
Morgan Freeman, Million Dollar Baby

SUPP ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett, The Aviator

DIRECTOR
Clint Eastwood, Million Dollar Baby

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Sideways

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

ART DIRECTION
The Aviator

CINEMATOGRAPHY
The Aviator

EDITING
Million Dollar Baby

SCORE
Finding Neverland

SONG
"Learn To Be Lonely" - The Phantom of the Opera

COSTUMES
The Aviator

SOUND
The Aviator

SOUND EFFECTS EDITING
Spider Man 2

MAKEUP
The Passion of the Christ

VISUAL EFFECTS
Spider Man 2

FOREIGN FILM
The Sea Inside

ANIMATED FILM
The Incredibles

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Supersize Me

DOCUMENTARY SHORT
Autism Is a Word

LIVE ACTION SHORT
Everything in This Country Must

ANIMATED SHORT
Ryan

dj_stouty
02-27-2005, 08:35 AM
I can't believe "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle" got snubbed this year...

redskin_rich
02-27-2005, 08:38 AM
I notice you now have Jamie Foxx winning best actor. What changed your mind?

akhhorus
02-27-2005, 08:47 AM
I notice you now have Jamie Foxx winning best actor. What changed your mind?

He won every possible award for it. I still dont think he should win it. It should go to Don Cheadle or Di Caprio.

bwparker
02-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Hotel Rwanda was by far the best picture of last year. Million Dollar Baby was good, so was Ray. But Aviator was completely mediocre in my opinion. Di Caprio and Blanchet's performance were the only things I found interesting. Everything else was, eh, ok. If it wins(which, I agree, it probably will) it will be a travesty.

IndianBaller27
02-27-2005, 10:49 AM
I heard Hotel Rwanda was REALLY good. I haven't seen it though.

RedskinsVision
02-27-2005, 03:58 PM
dang Akh.. should i now call you Akhoscarhorus? have you seen all the films or just guessing off of preliminary award shows? haven't seen many films this year.. after the LOTR swept last year.. the movie buzz have been sparse.

akhhorus
02-27-2005, 04:01 PM
dang Akh.. should i now call you Akhoscarhorus? have you seen all the films or just guessing off of preliminary award shows? haven't seen many films this year.. after the LOTR swept last year.. the movie buzz have been sparse.

I see a ton of movies a year.

RedskinsVision
02-27-2005, 04:10 PM
I see a ton of movies a year.

sheesh.. tons of movies a year, posting maniac on hR, graduate student, weekend jim beam binger.. you're now Akhimbusierthanapriestonconfessiondayhorus.

Ramsey2Moss
02-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Meh, the Oscars just doesn't do it for me.

swheeler
02-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Meh, the Oscars just doesn't do it for me.

agreed

IowaSkinsFan
02-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Lobbying firms have been called in to try to sway voters. I suspect that they split the vote and Winslet wins.

That's how Clinton got the Presidency both times.....I have it on good 411 that the DNC had Perot on retainer.....

RedskinsVision
02-27-2005, 05:33 PM
That's how Clinton got the Presidency both times.....I have it on good 411 that the DNC had Perot on retainer.....

don't you mean Bush?

akhhorus
02-27-2005, 05:39 PM

Those evil democrats. The Republicans would never do such shenigans(lol).

Ramsey2Moss
02-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Those evil democrats. The Republicans would never do such shenigans(lol).
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
but we are still superior.
repubs rule the world.

akhhorus
02-27-2005, 08:52 PM
7 for 10 so far on my picks. Feeling good.

smoak
02-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Not watching the Oscars, but da wife calls me in for big awards. I'm 5 for 6 (or maybe 6 for 7) because I went with an upset on best supporting actress.

redskin_rich
02-27-2005, 09:58 PM
I just noticed your sig Akh and I am very glad Morgan Freeman finally has an oscar. One of my favorite actors.

What did you all think of Chris Rock's opening monologue? I was disappointed.

rskinsfan10
02-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Congrats Morgan. You have been denied for far, far too long.

akhhorus
02-27-2005, 10:00 PM
I just noticed your sig Akh and I am very glad Morgan Freeman finally has an oscar. One of my favorite actors.

What did you all think of Chris Rock's opening monologue? I was disappointed.

I liked it. Rock has been refreshing and not boring; which is what they brought him in for. His segment in the MAgic Johnson theaters was classic.

RedskinsVision
02-27-2005, 10:04 PM
dang it.. didn't know it was on tonight. just flipped it on and saw a not so sober or just wired Sean Penn presenting best actress award.

EDIT: congrats Hillary Swank for her 2nd award playing a less than ordinary female in both roles to say the least.. dang she's grown up from Karate Kid 3.. but still looks the same.

smoak
02-27-2005, 10:15 PM
I didn't realize that MOrgan hadn't won an Oscar. Congrat to one of my favorites!

Year Result Award Category/Recipient(s)
2005 Nominated Oscar Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
for: Million Dollar Baby (2004)

1995 Nominated Oscar Best Actor in a Leading Role
for: The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

1990 Nominated Oscar Best Actor in a Leading Role
for: Driving Miss Daisy (1989)

1988 Nominated Oscar Best Actor in a Supporting Role
for: Street Smart (1987/I)

RedskinsVision
02-27-2005, 10:30 PM
wow.. awesome speech about his grandmother.. he's got my throat all choked up. congrats Jamie Foxx! now i have to watch Ray.

LATrueRedskin
02-27-2005, 10:33 PM
It's great to see Jamie Foxx win this. His portrayl of the great Ray Charles is uncanny. It was a great role, and it's good to see the actual best win it.

LATrueRedskin
02-27-2005, 10:34 PM
I didn't realize that MOrgan hadn't won an Oscar. Congrat to one of my favorites!

Year Result Award Category/Recipient(s)
2005 Nominated Oscar Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
for: Million Dollar Baby (2004)

1995 Nominated Oscar Best Actor in a Leading Role
for: The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

1990 Nominated Oscar Best Actor in a Leading Role
for: Driving Miss Daisy (1989)

1988 Nominated Oscar Best Actor in a Supporting Role
for: Street Smart (1987/I)

Absolutely. Freeman is one of the great actors of our time.

akhhorus
02-27-2005, 10:39 PM
ART DIRECTION The Aviator
Winner: The Aviator 1 for 1

SUPP ACTOR Morgan Freeman, Million Dollar Baby
Winner: Morgan Freeman 2 for 2 Well deserved and way over due

ANIMATED FILM The Incredibles
Winner: The Incredibles 3 for 3

MAKEUP The Passion of the Christ
Winner: Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events 3 for 4

COSTUMES The Aviator
Winner: The Avaitor 4 for 5

SUPP ACTRESS Cate Blanchett, The Aviator
Winner: Cate Blanchett 5 for 6

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE Supersize Me
Winner: Born Into Brothels 5 for 7 Big surprise here, everyone had Super Size Me winning

EDITING Million Dollar Baby
Winner: The Aviator 5 for 8 Gonna be a lot of awards for the Aviator tonight....

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY Sideways
Winner: Sideways 6 for 9

VISUAL EFFECTS Spider Man 2
Winner: Spiderman 2 7 for 10.

(If anyone doubts Al Pacino wears wig, check out his speech at the Oscars)

(Nobody beats the Lifetime achievement Oscar speech Blake Edwards gave where he came out in a fake wheelchair and crashed into the opposite wall)

LIVE ACTION SHORT Everything in This Country Must
Winner: Wasp 7 for 11

ANIMATED SHORT Ryan
Winner: Ryan 8 for 12

CINEMATOGRAPHY The Aviator
Winner: The Aviator 9 for 13

SOUND The Aviator
Winner: Ray 9 for 14

SOUND EFFECTS EDITING Spider Man 2
Winner: Incredibles 9 for 15

DOCUMENTARY SHORT Autism Is a Word
Winner: Mighty Time 9 for 16. Slipping--Im slipping!

SCORE Finding Neverland
Winner: Finding Neverland 10 for 17

SONG "Learn To Be Lonely" - The Phantom of the Opera
Winner: Motorcyle Diaries 10 for 18

ACTRESS Kate Winslet, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Winner: Hilary Swank. Not surprising, but I thought Winslet would finally win. 10 for 19.

FOREIGN FILM The Sea Inside
Winner: The Sea Inside 11 for 20

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Winner: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Great movie. 12 for 21

ACTOR Jamie Foxx, Ray
Winner: Jaime Foxx, Ray SHOCKER. (cough cough Di Caprio or Cheadle deserved cough cough) 13 of 22
(there goes the rule that if you starred in "in Living Color" you couldnt win an Oscar)

DIRECTOR Clint Eastwood, Million Dollar Baby
Winner: Clint Eastwood. Marty Scorese just cant possibly win an Oscar for directing. And Clint's mom looks like a mini-Clint in a wig. 14 for 24

PICTURE The Aviator
Winner: Million Dollar Baby. A mild surprise. It started to be the trendy pick in the last couple weeks, but the Aviator had the most nominations. This has to one of the first times that a movie with the most nominations and plenty of acting nominations didnt win.

14 out of 25. Im Slipping!

swheeler
Absolutely. Freeman is one of the great actors of our time.

I agree. Congrats to Foxx, too. The movie was good, but his performance was incredible.

redskin_rich
Wow, Million Dollar Baby is taking all the awards.

akhhorus
02-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Wow, Million Dollar Baby is taking all the awards.

5 for Million Dollar Baby
5 for the Aviator
2 for Ray

No-one else had more than one. Very odd.

RedskinsVision
02-27-2005, 10:45 PM
14 out of 25. Im Slipping!

Akhoscarhorus you ain't! we'll give you another year to ravage the theatres and get your butt soar.

akhhorus
02-27-2005, 10:46 PM
I really liked Chris Rock as the host, he was funny, kept the show moving. Only 7 minutes over schedule. his segment at the MOvie theater with Martin Lawrence was hilarious.

Did anyone else catch Robin Williams with a sticker over his mouth? ABC banned some of his jokes because they thought they were too racy.

And Penelope Cruz and Salma Hayez should present every award, or just stand in the background...PLEASE.

akhhorus
02-27-2005, 10:46 PM
Akhoscarhorus you ain't! we'll give you another year to ravage the theatres and get your butt soar.

I only missed ONE last year, and it was for original song. Im slipping!

LATrueRedskin
02-27-2005, 10:47 PM
I really liked Chris Rock as the host, he was funny, kept the show moving. Only 7 minutes over schedule. his segment at the MOvie theater with Martin Lawrence was hilarious.

Did anyone else catch Robin Williams with a sticker over his mouth? ABC banned some of his jokes because they thought they were too racy.

And Penelope Cruz and Salma Hayez should present every award, or just stand in the background...PLEASE.

Oh absolutely! Salma Hayek was looking oh..................so good tonight.

tbfoster1
02-27-2005, 10:48 PM
I'm glad Foxx won, ray was the only movie i have actually seen of all that were nominated, but i think of how far he has come from playing that crazy woman on in living color to winning an oscar for playing ray charles.

akhhorus
02-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Oh absolutely! Salma Hayek was looking oh..................so good tonight.

you could sneak the 3rd Infantry Division in that cleavage.

akhhorus
02-27-2005, 10:49 PM
Give me a week or so and Ill have a top ten movies for the 2005 Oscars.

redskin_rich
02-27-2005, 10:49 PM
I haven't seen MDB yet but i have heard it is very good. The thing is, usually after so long, they give the awards to somebody who has not got one. Thats why I was sure Scorsese would get best picture and director. They seemed to do this with Eastwood years ago when he got, I think, director and picture with Unforgiven, which I thought was terrible. Anyhow, why do the voters hate Scorsese?

akhhorus
02-27-2005, 10:50 PM
I haven't seen MDB yet but i have heard it is very good. The thing is, usually after so long, they give the awards to somebody who has not got one. Thats why I was sure Scorsese would get best picture and director. They seemed to do this with Eastwood years ago when he got, I think, director and picture with Unforgiven, which I thought was terrible. Anyhow, why do the voters hate Scorsese?

Scorese apparently has Peter O'Toole's disease when it comes to the Oscars.

RedskinsVision
02-27-2005, 10:51 PM
I only missed ONE last year, and it was for original song. Im slipping!

WHAT!! so you had ROTK missing out on the sweep?? you should've been fired for that!!

redskin_rich
02-27-2005, 10:58 PM
I'm glad Foxx won, ray was the only movie i have actually seen of all that were nominated, but i think of how far he has come from playing that crazy woman on in living color to winning an oscar for playing ray charles.
Ugly girl, Wanda...lol. He has come a long way, I really liked him in Any Given Sunday and in Collateral, he was great. I wonder if Tom Cruise is tired of being out performed by his co-actors yet.

akhhorus
02-27-2005, 11:02 PM
WHAT!! so you had ROTK missing out on the sweep?? you should've been fired for that!!

I figured that since it would win EVERYTHING else, that they would give Best Original Song to someone else.

whistleandthumb
02-27-2005, 11:31 PM
I went 16 for 24 this year. Not my best, but not horrible either.

Akh - you had some risky picks, matey, but I'll give you dap for goin' out on the limb on some of those. Especially the Kate Winslet pick.

I'd have to go back and check, but didn't GANGS OF NEW YORK have the most nominations 2 years ago? I know it didn't win a single award, but Marty seems to be very good at getting the nods, but not the trophies.

akhhorus
02-28-2005, 08:37 AM
I went 16 for 24 this year. Not my best, but not horrible either.

Akh - you had some risky picks, matey, but I'll give you dap for goin' out on the limb on some of those. Especially the Kate Winslet pick.

I'd have to go back and check, but didn't GANGS OF NEW YORK have the most nominations 2 years ago? I know it didn't win a single award, but Marty seems to be very good at getting the nods, but not the trophies.

I thought the Bening/Swank fight, which was turning nasty would split the vote too much and Winslet would sneak in.

And Gangs of New York had 10 nominations(only one acting nom), Chicago had 13(4 acting noms)

RedskinsDave
02-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Chris Rock was good but it's tough to take over a job that Billy Crystal mastered.

akhhorus
02-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Chris Rock was good but it's tough to take over a job that Billy Crystal mastered.

Rock will probably do it again next year, the Oscars got the highest rating in five years.

whistleandthumb
02-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Rock will probably do it again next year, the Oscars got the highest rating in five years.
Definitely.

The Academy likes to stick with what works, and Rock worked. It was a little edgy, but mostly safe, and it seemed to score well gathering a rather broad audience. I wonder, though, if a lot of that audience was just tuning in to see what all the controversy was about. If he hosts again, there may not be this heightened sense of "what will he say?," that got everyone watching last night.

LATrueRedskin
02-28-2005, 04:41 PM
Here's a question for everybody (and PTI on ESPN just reminded me of it): How the hell did John Travolta get long hair in two days? He had really short hair in Letterman and Conan a couple days ago, and he shows up at the Oscars with long hair? What up with that?

whistleandthumb
02-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Here's a question for everybody (and PTI on ESPN just reminded me of it): How the hell did John Travolta get long hair in two days? He had really short hair in Letterman and Conan a couple days ago, and he shows up at the Oscars with long hair? What up with that?
Extensions, baby... extensions.

IowaSkinsFan
02-28-2005, 05:49 PM
I liked it. Rock has been refreshing and not boring; which is what they brought him in for. His segment in the MAgic Johnson theaters was classic.

His one liner about Michael Moore was awesome. The part about how Moore should have done "Super Size Me" because he had already done the research. I was still laughing at that this morning.

akhhorus
02-28-2005, 09:38 PM
My Top ten Oscar Contenders for 05:
1-Memoirs of a Geisha
2-All the King's Men
3-Cinderella Man
4-Walk the Line
5-Kingdom of Heaven
6-Walk the Line
7-King Kong
8-Vengence
9-The New World