PDA

View Full Version : I am tired of this offseason already.

flave1969
02-28-2005, 10:06 AM
I have to say I am sick and tired of this off season already, and free agency has not even started yet. Last year was exciting, but this year has been intensely frustrating.

I am sick of the media. I know that Daniel Snyder has made himself an easy target since he took ownership of the Skins, but how many hacks are going to continue to make a cheap buck talking about him. There are to many lazy reporters and columnists like Sally Jenkins who do little in the way of research and then attack all within range. The endless speculation within the media has caused madness on our boards, we had what seemed like fifty Coles threads and I dont know how many Rolle threads. I can understand our end of things being that way because we are fans, but I feel the media is reporting just about every rumour it can get its hands on.

I am tired of seeing the Skins bashed with the cap hell stick when teams like Tennessee get of so lightly. It again comes back to Snyder and I am sick of it. The Titans had to cut six vets and they received very little stick for it. The Raiders should the Moss trade go through will also find themselves in cap trouble, and they have just resigned Porter and have Curry as well. Where is the media abuse for them when they desperately need a RB and moreso a Defence. Al Davis seems to get a pass year in and year out.

I am sick of the players also at the moment. I just cant see any of our past great receivers like Monk or Clark turning round and saying they want out of town because they are not getting enough of the ball. Can you imagine Art Monk complaining because he blocked too much. I am even more staggered because Coles caught 90 passes. I think perhaps he should have looked at himself a little more before deciding he wanted out. After all he is at least partly responsible for his lack of yards after the catch, just 341 yards of his 950 came after he caught the ball. Don't get me wrong I like Coles, but I wonder about his motives. He has a good contract, he was the #1 receiver on the team and he has only played one year under Gibbs, surely Joe deserves a little longer than that before being judged. I was not surprised to see that Coles wanted an improved contract from the Jets. There is as always more to this than meets the eye.

This has been an off season too far for me and frankly the draft cannot come soon enough.

I am jaded by it all. How do you feel?

CarMike
02-28-2005, 10:10 AM

Same as you flave! Well said by one of my favorites here at hR.

bwparker
02-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Its odd...before reading your post I felt like you do. But now I feel like we've both have let this get out of hand. I agree that the media is being a pain in the ass and reporting too much with too little to back it up. But the Coles situation is more than just "I want the ball more and I don't want to block." And my guess is that if we lived in Tennesee we'd hear more about the Titans. When I go on Espn.com there is usually one article loosely describing the Coles situation or something. National coverage has not been whats ripping into us, its our local coverage.

Yes, this offseason is frustrating, but if we step back we can see that each situation is a not as bad as it seems, it just that all of them compounded together can be overwhelming.

bgforever
02-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Feel the same and even though I only got a hint or smidgen of the truth, its value is shining, since the Washington Post is already contradicting these so-called sources (albeit, as*holes sitting in a lunchroom making crap up).

So let the pissoffed oppositional so-called sports gurus have their moment in the rain. Surely they are not the light of the facts of the NFL. There's only one thing that seperates their hunches from ours, which isn't that exact - they get paid for it.

RoanokeSkin
02-28-2005, 10:26 AM
My feeling is this, I dont care what players think. I have no respect for Coles and I hope like hell he is not with this team. When you sign your name on a contract (as in a legal and binding document), then you should honor it. Players today (outside of New England's locker room) seem to care less about winning and more about the me,me, me of the situation.

Personally, I think I just hate free agency. Since Snyder got here we have tried repeatedly to buy championships. We try to "win" every offseason. New England is the one who wins every offseason. They keep core players intact, let bums like Lawyer Milloy who want a ton of cash go, and make 1-2 key acquisitions (please see - Corey Dillon).

Why cant we just take a page from their book and give it a shot?

smoak
02-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Great post flave!

I look at it this way. You never hear about NE signing tons of players and winning in the offseason. Maybe this relativelyquiet and slightly bumpy offseason is something we'll come to enjoy.

Regarding the media perception of the Skins... who cares. It stinks, but it won't change until we win.

dj_stouty
02-28-2005, 10:27 AM
I agree Flave. This offseason has been brutal on the Burgundy & Gold faithfull...

Samuel's contract status has been up in the air for months...
Smoot demands too much money for his value...and now there are "rumors" that we will spend more for someone else...
Coles becomes unhappy with his role...we "almost" trade him straight up for S. Moss...now the deal is off....but now we hear the Vikings and Ravens are interested.
It is rumored that the #1 reason Gibbs came back to football was $.
Pierce's deal was supposed to be done weeks ago...now he may go elsewhere
Gardner has been "shopped" for weeks, and nothing has materialized
Gibbs' is charged by the media with "tampering" due to comments he made about Muhammed's agent.
The Redskins have been rumored to be in talks with every big free agent WR, but most of them have been snatched up. (Muhammed, Porter)
The Skins are rumored to be interested in Randy Moss, despite every "knowledgeable" fan knowing it is financially impossible.
The media takes Gibb's Nascar press conference comments at face value and questions if he will last another year.
Several Redskins restructure their contrats for the betterment of the team, yet we have clue where that additional "money" will be used...
Gibbs leaves the door open for Brunell...but doesn't clarify how wide open...or when it wil open.

I'm sure I missed some things...

This offseason has been HELL...and as you said; Flave. Free Agency hasn't even begun yet~!

flave1969
02-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Its odd...before reading your post I felt like you do. But now I feel like we've both have let this get out of hand. I agree that the media is being a pain in the ass and reporting too much with too little to back it up. But the Coles situation is more than just "I want the ball more and I don't want to block." And my guess is that if we lived in Tennesee we'd hear more about the Titans. When I go on Espn.com there is usually one article loosely describing the Coles situation or something. National coverage has not been whats ripping into us, its our local coverage.

Yes, this offseason is frustrating, but if we step back we can see that each situation is a not as bad as it seems, it just that all of them compounded together can be overwhelming.

The local media has been pretty fair in its assessment outside the Sally Jenkins article, it just reports too much. I am waiting for the classic "Smoot was seen in a Real Estate office in Dallas, so he must be moving there" article. What I see in the media online is exactly the same kind of stuff that turned me away from soccer reporting here in the UK. If you make up enough rumours you will hit a correct one sooner or later. Just today the USA Today/Inside Slant report on the Skins is a thinly veiled attack on Snyder, so it isnt just the locals.

Yes I think you are probably right that we ourselves biting on too many things we read. I cant get online as much as some and over the weekend I did not know where to start with all the threads.

Sweepea436
02-28-2005, 10:34 AM
I am jaded by it all. How do you feel?[/QUOTE]

That's why I love this team. Everything we do, good or bad, is news. People have to know what we're doing. And I, like others and apperently the media, could care less about the Titans or the Raiders. They could sign a Bradley tank to play running back this year and they still won't make the playoffs. So I say let them talk bad about us. Better than getting ignored! :banger:

tbfoster1
02-28-2005, 10:35 AM
a day and a half and we can put alot of these rumors to bed

flave1969
02-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Personally, I think I just hate free agency. Since Snyder got here we have tried repeatedly to buy championships. We try to "win" every offseason. New England is the one who wins every offseason. They keep core players intact, let bums like Lawyer Milloy who want a ton of cash go, and make 1-2 key acquisitions (please see - Corey Dillon).

Some of our greatest teams were built primarily of Free Agents. George Allen made us contenders because of Free Agency. We had 28 Free Agents on our Superbowl team in 82. I dont mind FA, I just hate the attitude it brings these days on all sides.We should take a look at how the Patriots do things, but we need a bit of luck as well.

RoanokeSkin
02-28-2005, 10:39 AM
Some of our greatest teams were built primarily of Free Agents. George Allen made us contenders because of Free Agency. We had 28 Free Agents on our Superbowl team in 82. I dont mind FA, I just hate the attitude it brings these days on all sides.We should take a look at how the Patriots do things, but we need a bit of luck as well.

Maybe I should have said that I hate the way WE handle free agency, because that it where the problem lies.

Sweepea436
02-28-2005, 10:40 AM
We should take a look at how the Patriots do things, but we need a bit of luck as well.

Amen

bgforever
02-28-2005, 10:43 AM
My feeling is this, I dont care what players think. I have no respect for Coles and I hope like hell he is not with this team. When you sign your name on a contract (as in a legal and binding document), then you should honor it. Players today (outside of New England's locker room) seem to care less about winning and more about the me,me, me of the situation.

That is exactly where we're heading, but this is the "first" purge Gibbs will make, 'after' seeing this team play. Last off-season, he really didnt' know enough to fill in all the blanks. Gregg Williams is possibly a reason for the Rolle offer, is what poster was saying on another thread, which may be true. If so, then both he a Gibbs know something like they did with Marcus Washington and Shawn Springs.

LATrueRedskin
02-28-2005, 10:43 AM
Yeah I'm already tired as well (especially from reading all these LOOONG threads lol). The thick of it is yet to come, it hasn't even started yet, and we have so many questions.

bwparker
02-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Yeah I'm already tired as well (especially from reading all these LOOONG threads lol). The thick of it is yet to come, it hasn't even started yet, and we have so many questions.

But the "thick of it" is where the answers are...

akhhorus
02-28-2005, 11:37 AM
if nothing else, the Skins are entertaining.

LATrueRedskin
02-28-2005, 11:38 AM
if nothing else, the Skins are entertaining.

Too bad they're most entertaining during the offseason as opposed to the actual games.

Patrick
02-28-2005, 11:41 AM
This IS a terrible off-season - other then few resignings it's been nothing but negitive news and media opinion.

akhhorus
02-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Too bad they're most entertaining during the offseason as opposed to the actual games.

yes, but despite all this blather over the last week, what has actually changed? NOTHING. Zero has happened. In the end, I think it will be a boring offseason.

Seebs
02-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Usually, we are the kings of Offseason. If at last we can loose on the offseson, and win in the season, I'll take it and would be pretty happy. If only...

techskinsfan
02-28-2005, 12:28 PM
im tired of all the rumors and soap operas...just want some concrete news

Redskinmayhem
02-28-2005, 12:31 PM
im tired of all the rumors and soap operas...just want some concrete news

Agreed. I do feel better though that we didn't make the "big splash" as usual. The Raiders got Moss, Bears got Mushin. That takes some of the pressure off of Danny to win the off-season superbowl. Now we can just go about making our team better instead of worrying about making the biggest signing.

chrisbcbu
02-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Well if there wasnt any Redskins news i dont think any of us would still be sane. Most of us come here every day looking for NEW news(hopefully true news) and when there isnt we get a little depressed. Well at least i do.

At least with all the news im well entertained.

whistleandthumb
02-28-2005, 12:54 PM
The media is so anxious to scrutinize what we do because of the history of Danny Boy. They know that he has no problem shelling out huge amounts of money, so it opens the door for them to blab on and on about how we overpayed, got the wrong player, etc.

The thing of it is, every offseason for us has been such a circus for us because Danny was operating without guidance or foresight. Now that Gibbs is there to point the team in the right direction, I don't think we are going to see the type of frivolous (sp?) spending that we have seen in years past.

Then again, there's always the Brunell debocle...

bosshog001
02-28-2005, 02:49 PM
I agree, it shouldn't be this hard.

Last year Ramsey wanted out and we told him where to go, we should have done the same with Coles rather than drag this out.

The Samuels thing is a pain, but our doing.

Smoot and Pierce are a pipedream, could be worse, we could be talking about acquiring another washed up soon to be released player for $40MM and a draft pick.

sdredskinsfan
02-28-2005, 02:53 PM
I have to say I am sick and tired of this off season already, and free agency has not even started yet. Last year was exciting, but this year has been intensely frustrating.

I am sick of the media. I know that Daniel Snyder has made himself an easy target since he took ownership of the Skins, but how many hacks are going to continue to make a cheap buck talking about him. There are to many lazy reporters and columnists like Sally Jenkins who do little in the way of research and then attack all within range. The endless speculation within the media has caused madness on our boards, we had what seemed like fifty Coles threads and I dont know how many Rolle threads. I can understand our end of things being that way because we are fans, but I feel the media is reporting just about every rumour it can get its hands on.

I am tired of seeing the Skins bashed with the cap hell stick when teams like Tennessee get of so lightly. It again comes back to Snyder and I am sick of it. The Titans had to cut six vets and they received very little stick for it. The Raiders should the Moss trade go through will also find themselves in cap trouble, and they have just resigned Porter and have Curry as well. Where is the media abuse for them when they desperately need a RB and moreso a Defence. Al Davis seems to get a pass year in and year out.

I am sick of the players also at the moment. I just cant see any of our past great receivers like Monk or Clark turning round and saying they want out of town because they are not getting enough of the ball. Can you imagine Art Monk complaining because he blocked too much. I am even more staggered because Coles caught 90 passes. I think perhaps he should have looked at himself a little more before deciding he wanted out. After all he is at least partly responsible for his lack of yards after the catch, just 341 yards of his 950 came after he caught the ball. Don't get me wrong I like Coles, but I wonder about his motives. He has a good contract, he was the #1 receiver on the team and he has only played one year under Gibbs, surely Joe deserves a little longer than that before being judged. I was not surprised to see that Coles wanted an improved contract from the Jets. There is as always more to this than meets the eye.

This has been an off season too far for me and frankly the draft cannot come soon enough.

Well-written. I share your feelings, especially regarding the bold-type remark (I also feel this way about many of the so-called TV game analysts).

BandWagon
02-28-2005, 03:00 PM
I think the media is playing off the appetites of over-hyped fans like...well ME for example. If I could manage to just lay low during the offseaon, it'd be like Akh said...in the end nothing has happened yet. But my appetite for information is never ending....so I soak all this in and end up feeling exactly like you do Flave! One part of me wishes the offseason was much lower profile. For Christ sake, they have live coverage of the combine now....ugh.

Hey, anyone heard any good news or rumors today???

sknz2856
02-28-2005, 03:12 PM
While my head is spinning with all the rumors....i must say it is way more fun to log on and see something happening as opposed to several weeks ago when there was absolutely nothing going on. I just don't know how much more I can handle....my finger nails have gotten pretty short lately. I love the excitement of free agency, but fear what move Snyder might make next. Come to think of it....it's like watching a Skins game on any given sunday. The excitement gets you pumping, but you fear what kinda bonehead play will ruin the game for the Skins.

AGibbsGirl
02-28-2005, 04:10 PM
We're all just crazy....no one else gives a crap about what the Skins do in the off season...:D

Unless it is something really monumental...like say...luring the greatest Redskin coach of all time out of retirement....