PDA

View Full Version : Vision Quest: A Review of the Skins Moves, Week One of Free Agency

PennSkinsFan
03-07-2005, 09:33 AM
READ IT (http://www.hailredskins.com/VisionQuest.htm)

Great job Dustin!

MoeRedskins
03-07-2005, 09:38 AM
the link of the homepage takes you too the youth report for the end of the season, just to let you know.

redwolf1218
03-07-2005, 09:46 AM
good read. looking forward to the Gardner trade, to see what we get out of that deal.

joethefan
03-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Very Good read...very good

COUNCILMAN
03-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Very Good read...very good

I have to agree with Joe on this one. Very good read and the grade was right on for the most part.

I might add that if we get a 2nd round pick for Gardner, then that grade would be an A-PLUS. And if they resign Smoot then thats worth the whole diploma!

ConradCountry
03-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Very well thought out,

I beleive Gardner will gte dealt for as high as a 2nd rd pick or a player.

Smoot will resign for the 10 million.

PennSkinsFan
03-07-2005, 11:25 AM
I have to agree with Joe on this one. Very good read and the grade was right on for the most part.

I might add that if we get a 2nd round pick for Gardner, then that grade would be an A-PLUS. And if they resign Smoot then thats worth the whole diploma!

My only difference, I would have given the Samuels restructure a C to D. Why? Because the stalling in the front office made the deal more expensive than it shoudl have been. I woudl have given the Pierce thing an A. I still think he is a system built LB that played well because he fits GW system and style. With youngster Clifton Smith and Lemar Marshall ont he roster, is was simply way overpriced.

Jimreaper007
03-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Good work as always...

CNYSkinFan
03-07-2005, 11:38 AM
My only difference, I would have given the Samuels restructure a C to D. Why? Because the stalling in the front office made the deal more expensive than it shoudl have been. I woudl have given the Pierce thing an A. I still think he is a system built LB that played well because he fits GW system and style. With youngster Clifton Smith and Lemar Marshall ont he roster, is was simply way overpriced.
The only reason I gave the Pierce thing as low a grade as I did is because we lost Pierce to an NFC East rival. I also think losing a young guy who quarterbacked our defense is tough no matter what. I don't think I can bring myself to give a grade higher then C for losing a young talented guy, even though it was the right thing to do.

I am not so sure on Samuels. I think the jury is still out on this one. If he plays up[ to his ability it is a good contract restructuring, if not then it may fall to a C or D. I agree with you on another thing though, the Redskins FO waited too long for Pierce, Smoot, and Samuels. I don't know if it was agents or the team though. I think the FO has to re work players deals before they get to their contract year though, espescially young players. Otherwise we risk free agency every time.

CNYSkinFan
03-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Very well thought out,

I beleive Gardner will gte dealt for as high as a 2nd rd pick or a player.

Smoot will resign for the 10 million.

If Gardner fetches a high 3rd or low 2nd then it will be an A++ I guarantee you that. If Smoot resigns for the 10 million that will be an A as well.

I think Minnesota may bite on Gardener. Gardener can still be a good #2 for someone and Minnesota is going to a ball control offense. Getting Gardner to act as the possession receiver and pairing him with Burleson will be a great combo for Minnesota. It also allows them to spend their 1st on defense.

Redblood
03-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Chris Samuels contract extension. Overall though it is a good move and I give it a B+. I give it a B. I don't blame Sam for all of our Oline problems, but J. Ogden he isn't!

Resigning Joe Salave’a. That brings this grade to a B+. I give it a B. Maybe he's merely a product of G. Williams, maybe not.

Signing Casey Rabach. This is an easy A. I give it a B. Excuse me, but Rabach was the 9th rated G! Not even on the list for Center. See SMOOTSMACK's post over on TheWarpath.net, evaluation of FAs. I'm not saying it is a great evaluation for FA, it's the only one I've seen. That makes it the best! Couldn't find a list or an evaluation of FAs in here.

Resigning Ethan Albright. Overall grade is a B. I give it a C for Center. He may be a TC cut.
Figure the Odds. Rabach, Friedman, and Raymer! Someone has to go!

Losing Antonio Pierce to the NY Giants. This is a loss for the Redskins so I can only give it a grade of C. If this is a Loss, I consider it a Failure, and give it an F.

Signing David Patten. I give this a healthy A. I give it a B. Even with the 3 SB trophies, he is no Randy Moss! Although I reserve the right to draft him in a Fantasy League, as a 3rd WR, again!

Trading Coles for Santana Moss. Overall grade is a solid B. I give it a C. We trade a toe problem for a more fragile R! He's no R. Moss either!

Overall. Overall grade for the Redskins FO, a solid respectable B+. I say 2.285, or a C+. (I had to count the Failure as an F, after all!)

I'm not 100% on the Math, as Duston might be, but I did use my calculator while doing the addition and division at the end. Plus I stayed at a Holiday Inn!

I'm just not sure if any of these moves puts us closer to catching the E-girls in the NFC East! So, Duston, can I borrow your rose colored glasses again?

Having written the above, I submit all new signees/tradees to tuteledge in the HOF Coach Gibbs FB school, and the Coach Williams School of D, and we might be able to at least reverse the W-L record, or slide in at 9-7! This is of course, subject to the next round of FA, and the Draft, and the FA's after the Draft. We picked up 3 or 4 key players after the Draft last year!

The Skinsinator
03-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Excellent article, Dustin. Let's cross our fingers for our Gardner compensation. I may throw a party if we do get a 2nd rd pick for him.

NamVet4
03-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Resigning Ethan Albright. Overall grade is a B. I give it a C for Center. He may be a TC cut.
Ethan Albright is worth his weight in Burgundy and Gold since he is a long snapper!!!!!
I seriously doubt he is cut unless he royally pooches it in TC and looses his place on ST.... :)

LATrueRedskin
03-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Great writing Dustin. Man you're putting in some work here! I appreciate it.

CNYSkinFan
03-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Chris Samuels contract extension. Overall though it is a good move and I give it a B+. I give it a B. I don't blame Sam for all of our Oline problems, but J. Ogden he isn't!

Resigning Joe Salave’a. That brings this grade to a B+. I give it a B. Maybe he's merely a product of G. Williams, maybe not.

Signing Casey Rabach. This is an easy A. I give it a B. Excuse me, but Rabach was the 9th rated G! Not even on the list for Center. See SMOOTSMACK's post over on TheWarpath.net, evaluation of FAs. I'm not saying it is a great evaluation for FA, it's the only one I've seen. That makes it the best! Couldn't find a list or an evaluation of FAs in here.

Figure the Odds. Rabach, Friedman, and Raymer! Someone has to go!

Losing Antonio Pierce to the NY Giants. This is a loss for the Redskins so I can only give it a grade of C. If this is a Loss, I consider it a Failure, and give it an F.

Signing David Patten. I give this a healthy A. I give it a B. Even with the 3 SB trophies, he is no Randy Moss! Although I reserve the right to draft him in a Fantasy League, as a 3rd WR, again!

Trading Coles for Santana Moss. Overall grade is a solid B. I give it a C. We trade a toe problem for a more fragile R! He's no R. Moss either!

Overall. Overall grade for the Redskins FO, a solid respectable B+. I say 2.285, or a C+. (I had to count the Failure as an F, after all!)

I'm not 100% on the Math, as Duston might be, but I did use my calculator while doing the addition and division at the end. Plus I stayed at a Holiday Inn!

I'm just not sure if any of these moves puts us closer to catching the E-girls in the NFC East! So, Duston, can I borrow your rose colored glasses again?

Having written the above, I submit all new signees/tradees to tuteledge in the HOF Coach Gibbs FB school, and the Coach Williams School of D, and we might be able to at least reverse the W-L record, or slide in at 9-7! This is of course, subject to the next round of FA, and the Draft, and the FA's after the Draft. We picked up 3 or 4 key players after the Draft last year!

Well a lot to respond to where do I start.

A.) Grades. I based them on what the Redskins needed and how they handled each situation, not just the talent level of each individual player. I stand by my grades, buit only time will tell. But the simple fact is that the moves made were ultimately positive impacts on the team in many ways.

B.) Samuels: What is the real difference between B & B+? I am optimistic that Samuels will continue to imrpove. But in either case this move created cap room for this year and the future.

C.) Salvea: the reason it is a b+ (again not much difference) is that we resigned a productive Redskin from 2004. You get extra credit for that. Plus he was cheap....more extra credit.

D.) Rabach: Mark my words not only is this kid going to be good for us he fit our budget and is an upgrade ofer Raymer. That is why it is an A and not a B. And I do not post on Warpath.net...my home is halredskins.com so i don't care what SMOOTSMACK said :sfight:

E.) Albright: Uhm Albright is a long snapper even though his position is Center under the roster. Every team makes allocations for their long snapper, kicker, punter and a few more special teams only player. Albright is NEVER going to be a Training camp cut. He is one of the best long snappers in the league and makes the minimum. Big red is the best at his position, it may not be glamorous but it keeps us from losing games in the long run. He deserves a B.

F.) Patten & Moss. No neither one is Randy Moss. But if you compared every move to whether we got the best player in football then you will never be happy. Patten came cheap, brings talent, and a winning attitude. Easy A in my book. Santana Moss wants to be here and in my opinion will be better then Coles next year. That is a positive move.

G.) Pierce is a loss, but he is replaceable and the Redskins did not overspend. That deserves at least a C. Overspending is a disease, you must fight it with every move.

H.) Post Draft free agents. We were in a better cap situation last year. We are barely 2 million under this year and still have our draft picks to sign and possibly Smoot. No way are we going on the spending spree we did last year. Maybe some vets signing at a minimum but that is it.

I.) I have never in my life worn Rose Colored glasses. I prefer Burgundy. :Padawan:

But we are here to disagree and debate. That is what message boards are for. I amy be wrong about all and am probably wrong about some, but I think we are moving in the right direction.

Patrick
03-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Nice job CNYSkinFan. AND a followup to Redblood - you can break it down anyway you like and grade however - BUT the bottomline is if these moves makes us a better football team and produces Ws then that would be nothing less than outstanding (which, by-the-way, was an A when I was going to school!!!!!! ;) )