PDA

View Full Version : Walt Harris

hogs86
03-08-2005, 08:46 PM
So can Walt Harris get it done.I think so this guy is good.We gave Springs a shot last year and he has been our best DB since D.Green.So what do you think????

BandWagon
03-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Without a doubt. I think Williams has a fantastic eye for players that excel in his system. There were ton of doubters about Springs last year. Harris essentially had a year to continue rehab on his injury having been spared excessive playing time by featuring in dime and nickel packages.

bgforever
03-08-2005, 08:53 PM
A healthy Harris is good most of a game, and that fits fine with Wylder and an incoming rookie - I want PAC-MAN! This may still may not happen though, way too soon to tell. Don't panick, none of us, cause it was in the cards, coach said he and his crew were already playing out scenarios and thats what good coaches and their staff do, prepare for the worse and have backup plans!

Ramsey2Moss
03-08-2005, 08:53 PM
I'm not convinced he can. He didn't get it done in Indianapolis, and I don't think he can get it done here. But I'm hoping he can prove me wrong.

SusQhnnaSkin
03-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Harris will be just fine. It's who we got after him that has me concerned. Harris can cover the other teams #2 WR's. With the Williams blitzes, he should not have to cover guys for very long!

rskinsfan10
03-08-2005, 09:00 PM
I truly believe that the coaching staff believes that he can. I remember myself and others posting last year that we thought that Harris was going to possibly be Smoot's successor. You have to remember that they also attempted to sign Butler, but the Rams matched our offer.

The FO, IMO, has been prepared for Smoot leaving for almost a year now.

redskin_rich
03-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Harris is a vet and he will be fine playing zone. I think we still should draft a CB, though not with the 1st pick. Both our starting corners are over 30 so we have to get another promising young guy in here.

bgforever
03-08-2005, 09:10 PM
I truly believe that the coaching staff believes that he can. I remember myself and others posting last year that we thought that Harris was going to possibly be Smoot's successor. You have to remember that they also attempted to sign Butler, but the Rams matched our offer.

The FO, IMO, has been prepared for Smoot leaving for almost a year now.

Exactly, and as each week unfolds, go back and read what Gibbs had stated and it was obvious, he was friendly, courteous and addressed the media often, just like now, and each week he hinted at what's to come. He still has to keep confidence in his staff, so don't expect bunches of hunches.

OCSkinzFan
03-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Okay, am I a NUT?

Wasn't Coach Williams up on Wilds last year?
I mean for real, am I mixing up names? Wasn't Wilds getting a bunch of playing time at the end of last year and a lot of props from the staff?

skins74
03-08-2005, 09:14 PM
I think we will be fine defensively. :jetsuk:

LATrueRedskin
03-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Wasn't Harris a starter before he came to Washington? No CB can be successful in Indy, their defense is just too horrible on so many different levels. I think Harris can still get it done for a year or two. I don't see a huge rush to draft a CB either.

GoDannyBoy
03-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Carlos Rodgers

smoak
03-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Indianapolis didn't have GW.

My only concern is if the injury bug hits Springs and Harris!

portis2endzone
03-08-2005, 09:25 PM
we have greg williams. we will be fine. with harris or wilds or a no name. look what we did with that d-line last year. full of no names and we had the best run stopping average in the nfl. we most likely will draft a cb in the mid to lower rounds

people keep saying that harris isnt good enough. now correct me if im wrong but isnt that what they said about griffin last year??? harris has had some sub par years but so did griffin before last year. give harris a chance he seems to have already proven himself to williams

Redskinfan28
03-08-2005, 09:26 PM
With their injury riddled past, it is imprudent to think that Harris and Springs will play a full year.

Davey
03-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Wasn't Harris a starter before he came to Washington? No CB can be successful in Indy, their defense is just too horrible on so many different levels. I think Harris can still get it done for a year or two. I don't see a huge rush to draft a CB either.

I don't think the Redskins should lock themselves into drafting a corner, but they should certainly consider it. Right now we've got two 30+ starters backed up by Jimoh and two second year players who were undrafted. As much as I hate to give props to the Eagles, I think they made the right move a few years back when they saw Vincent and Taylor getting old and drafted Sheppard and Brown. We're fine at corner next season, but from a long term perspective Pac Man or Rolle would be a nice pick.

portis2endzone
03-08-2005, 09:29 PM
With their injury riddled past, it is imprudent to think that Harris and Springs will play a full year.
thats what they said of springs last year

yea there was that concussion but almost anyone who was hit by that it would be lights out. he only sat out for one game(i think, right?)

BandWagon
03-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Okay, am I a NUT?

Wasn't Coach Williams up on Wilds last year?
I mean for real, am I mixing up names? Wasn't Wilds getting a bunch of playing time at the end of last year and a lot of props from the staff?

Nope he praised him in the mini camps and said towards the end of the season (I'm paraphrasing) "I knew I'd be kicking myself for not figuring out a way to get this guy into the lineup earlier"

ConradCountry
03-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Walt Harris and Springs are both 30 and injury proned, we need to bring in a young ball player that can start if necassery or provide back up in case of emergency.

Antrel Rolle at 9 or Carlos Rogers with a trade down.

LATrueRedskin
03-08-2005, 09:45 PM
I don't think the Redskins should lock themselves into drafting a corner, but they should certainly consider it. Right now we've got two 30+ starters backed up by Jimoh and two second year players who were undrafted. As much as I hate to give props to the Eagles, I think they made the right move a few years back when they saw Vincent and Taylor getting old and drafted Sheppard and Brown. We're fine at corner next season, but from a long term perspective Pac Man or Rolle would be a nice pick.

Oh we should definately consider drafting one, I'm just saying it's not a definate. I'm not a fan of Rolle that much as well. I've seen him play and I wasn't that impressed with him. I don't know about Pac Man, though. Didn't get to see him much.

BandWagon
03-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Oh we should definately consider drafting one, I'm just saying it's not a definate. I'm not a fan of Rolle that much as well. I've seen him play and I wasn't that impressed with him. I don't know about Pac Man, though. Didn't get to see him much.

Not sure I trust someone called PacMan....

rskinsfan10
03-08-2005, 09:48 PM

I'm not understanding the fascination myself.

SusQhnnaSkin
03-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Yeah GW loves Wilds. Nice player. But do we want him starting if somebody goes down? I'm nervous about that. If Williams is gone at 9, we should, seriously consider the best CB left Rolle, Jones, or whoever GW likes.

LATrueRedskin
03-08-2005, 09:49 PM

:lol1: yeah, I wouldn't draft him soley on the fact that we have to keep calling him "Pac Man."

NCskinsfanatic
03-08-2005, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=ConradCountry]

Carlos Rogers with a trade down

I agree

redwolf1218
03-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Nope he praised him in the mini camps and said towards the end of the season (I'm paraphrasing) "I knew I'd be kicking myself for not figuring out a way to get this guy into the lineup earlier"
i've heard some avid Va Tech fans say that Wilds was on the level of Deangelo Hall before his season was cut short by injury. that may be a stretch, but he is definitely one of those guys who slipped thru the cracks due to injury. this happens a lot. you take a chance on an injured guy, like Ogunleye for example, and sometimes you get a diamond in the rough that way. Wilds might be better than anyone realizes. Good size for a corner, and great special teams experience. Also, i think Rufus Brown is one of the fastest guys on the team now and should benefit from some experience in Europe...im anxious to hear how he does over there. could be another steal.

JoeDaSchmoe
03-08-2005, 10:38 PM
I don't have much faith in Harris at all. Carlos Rogers would be a very good pick.

jhova58
03-08-2005, 10:40 PM
pac man jones was a terror on the field whenever he played the terps... his name was called early and often as both a punt returner and a cornerback... the kid's a playmaker (and i really hate to say that since he cost my team a game last year).

and i've read on the internet that some teams might move rolle to safety since he's so big (sorry, no links).

SusQhnnaSkin
03-08-2005, 10:41 PM
I don't have much faith in Harris at all. Carlos Rogers would be a very good pick.

JDS---funny sig. :lol1:

JoeDaSchmoe
03-08-2005, 10:43 PM
JDS---funny sig. :lol1:

Why, thank you. :D

LadyNRedskinsfan
03-08-2005, 10:52 PM
i actually believe a dancing banana would work just as well......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/rachay/229031_banana.gif

SusQhnnaSkin
03-08-2005, 11:04 PM
i actually believe a dancing banana would work just as well......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/rachay/229031_banana.gif

...as long as it was still accompanied by the same dry sense of humor!

SusQhnnaSkin
03-08-2005, 11:07 PM
...or are we talking about somethin' a little different? (Sorry) :)

NCskinfan
03-09-2005, 03:00 AM
Walt Harris and Springs are both 30 and injury proned, we need to bring in a young ball player that can start if necassery or provide back up in case of emergency.

Antrel Rolle at 9 or Carlos Rogers with a trade down.

I agree. This CB depth chart is not ok:

1. Springs
2. Harris
3. Wilds
4. Jimoh
5. Brown

If Springs or Harris gets hurt, even for a short time, we are in serious trouble. CB, QB, and LT are the positions that are easiest to exploit and have the biggest potential affect on the outcome if they are filled with sub-par talent.

Jimoh cannot see the field on defense (we should agree on this, the proof is on th film . . . aweful). Wilds and Brown we all like, but they are ?'s.

Even if we get by with this group this next year, Springs and Harris are 1 year older. We need a big time, young corner.

Jimreaper007
03-09-2005, 03:41 AM
At corner sometimes you are better off going with the physical talent than the experience. Harris is experienced at getting beat like a drum. I remember watching him get smoked in Indy and Chicago.

I think we are better off taking our chances with wilds.

Brokenstriker
03-09-2005, 05:43 AM
I will miss Smoot as much as anybody does. But "we" might want to stop ragging on Springs and Harris about injuries and playing an entire season ... look at last season ...

*which Skins CB was the injury risk? .. lost plays in critical games due to injury? ... Smoot

and you ... and I ... would love to have him back.

My point is Harris is a good CB. Maybe good enough (probably good enough). He is no more injured than Smoot is ... perhaps even less given that he has had a year to recover and had no signs of continuing problems last season. If you don't think he has the talent to get the job done thats one thing ... but don't down grade him because he was injured two years ago. If you do that you have to be more concerned about Fred than Walt.

BigPlayJay
03-09-2005, 06:25 AM
I don't see any response to the earlier question about Harris being a starter before Indy. He was a starter for the Bears for several years. Ironically he started opposite Tom Carter, Gibbs last first round draft pick who was considered a good young corner when he left us via Free Agency (sound familiar). Carter bombed out in Chicago by the way (hmmmmmmm?).

Anyways about Harris, I think he can play. Not as godd as Smoot and certainly more injury prone, but i think the coaches will have some capable backups ready to go knowing this. If Harris gives us ten solid games we will be fine.