PDA

View Full Version : Rick Ankiel, moving to the Outfield

akhhorus
03-09-2005, 01:28 PM
This kid had all the talent in the world at Pitcher, just couldnt stay healthy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/03/09/bc.bbn.cardinals.ankiel.ap/index.html

Rick Ankiel is ending a pitching career plagued by record wildness and will try to make the St. Louis Cardinals' roster as an outfielder.

Ankiel, 25, had yet to appear in a spring training game as he tried to revive a career interrupted by control problems and injuries. He was to have pitched in a "B" game Wednesday, but it was rained out.

"We are fully supportive of Rick's decision to convert to an everyday outfielder," Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty said. "Rick will continue to train with the major league club this spring, and we look forward to seeing his development as a full-time batter and outfielder."

Ankiel missed most of the 2003 and 2004 seasons after reconstructive elbow surgery, and also sat out the entire 2002 season with a sprained left elbow.

The left-hander was 11-7 with a 3.50 ERA with 194 strikeouts in 175 innings in 2000 but developed record-setting wildness in the playoffs.

MoeRedskins
03-09-2005, 01:31 PM
He would have been really good if he could stay healthy enough to play.

RedskinsDave
03-09-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm no baseball expert but this kid must be one hell of an athlete if they're letting a pitcher try to be an outfielder.

rskinsfan10
03-09-2005, 01:54 PM
I'm no baseball expert but this kid must be one hell of an athlete if they're letting a pitcher try to be an outfielder.

I was thinking the same thing.

Not only are those two different beasts as far as fielding, but what about the fact that he probably hasn't hit the ball with any regularity since college or HS.

smoak
03-09-2005, 01:58 PM
The only thing I can remember about Ankiel was his absurd lack of control in the playoffs. It seemed to be more mental than physical.

Jimreaper007
03-09-2005, 02:24 PM

Yeah he must be a stud's stud because that's no easy transition. On second thought, now that the roids are leaving there will not be much difference between the players these days.

akhhorus
03-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Ankiel apparently hit .324 in a World Juniors tourney with guys like Austin Keanrs and Joe Mauer on the team.

whitskins
03-09-2005, 03:57 PM

Yeah, Ankiel was basically a ridiculous mega-beast in high school and he made his major league debut at 20 years old. Was USA Today player of the year his senior year, had a 0.47 ERA. He probably has great athletic ability, not to mention a ton of money invested in him, his agent is Scott Boras I believe.

IowaSkinsFan
03-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Ankiel was often used as a pinch hitter for the Cardinals when he was with the club and not just in mop up situations.

This sudden loss of control has is not uncommon in the majors. It happened as recently as Mark Wohlers of the Braves.

Ankiel has two separate issues, control and arm health. Even if he solved one the other was still a major hurdle. I don't expect him to be anything more than a utility player at this point for the duration of his career.

This is the sort of luck the Cardinals have had with young pitchers of late. Brian Barber, Jimmy Journell and others are the sort of disappointments from the draft that always causes us to have to find FA or make trades to get starting pitching, whereas the Cubs on the other hand have hit the nail on the head with the likes of Wood, Prior, Clement and others. Heck, the also drafted Maddux.