PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Of the Instant Replay

ryflan47
03-16-2005, 07:33 PM
the instant replay may be expanded, to cover the "down by contact" rule..
do you think they should change it or keep it the same??

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8298180

Redskin006
03-16-2005, 07:35 PM
the instant replay may be expanded, to cover the "down by contact" rule..
do you think they should change it or keep it the same??

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8298180

change it. it's annoying when a player fumbles the ball and we recover it and then they call it down by contact.

ryflan47
03-16-2005, 07:36 PM
yeah, but how would the ref's change the play after they blew the whistle.. i agree with you but whats the solution to that?

GolfFreak
03-16-2005, 07:49 PM
If they are going to start changing the rules then let them challenge/review pass interference in the end zone - something important. It's the only penalty that's over 15 yards - why not be able to over turn a lousy call. Make a change that's worthwhile.

CarMike
03-16-2005, 07:51 PM
If they are going to start changing the rules then let them challenge/review pass interference in the end zone - something important. It's the only penalty that's over 15 yards - why not be able to over turn a lousy call. Make a change that's worthwhile.

I have a easy remedy for that. Use the college rule. All PI should be 15 yard penalties.

I started a thread with a poll on something similar last year....

As for this rule, i'm all for the change. We seem to have snake bitten the most with this rule.

Jimreaper007
03-16-2005, 07:53 PM
I am for it

IndianBaller27
03-16-2005, 07:55 PM
How about reviewing penalties???

ryflan47
03-16-2005, 07:57 PM
How about reviewing penalties???

but then the coaches will go crazy with challenges, and this would make games longer.. you gotta keep the game pure

CarMike
03-16-2005, 08:10 PM
but then the coaches will go crazy with challenges, and this would make games longer.. you gotta keep the game pure

No, they would still have a set amount of challenges.

RedskinsDave
03-16-2005, 08:54 PM
yeah, but how would the ref's change the play after they blew the whistle.. i agree with you but whats the solution to that?

I agree with you. I don't see how to remedy a premature whistle.

GolfFreak
03-16-2005, 08:57 PM
I have a easy remedy for that. Use the college rule. All PI should be 15 yard penalties.

That would be a good change. We can also learn something from the college game about how they play overtime - giving both teams a shot.

tbfoster1
03-16-2005, 09:02 PM
That would be a good change. We can also learn something from the college game about how they play overtime - giving both teams a shot.

i agree with the 15 yard rule and the overtime rule would be real nice as well.

it does look like the college 15 yard rule may be discussed

The committee is also considering a proposal by the Kansas City Chiefs to change to the college rule on pass interference.

That mandates a maximum of 15 yards on defensive interference or a spot call if the penalty is less than 15 yards. In the NFL, the ball is spotted where the interference takes place or at the 1-yard-line if it is in the end zone.

The Chiefs' proposal includes one slight difference from the college rule: on a flagrant foul, the ball would still be spotted where the penalty took place. That would presumably eliminate players from fouling when they know they are beaten and taking a 15-yard penalty rather than one of 30 or 40 yards or more.

JoeJacksonTaylor28
03-16-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm not sure about adopting the 15-yard rule. It would be unfair for the offense. If a man gets beaten on a 40 or 50 yard pass and the receiver is in the endzone we would see a lot of PI. I would be in favor of reviewing PI on the endzone.

tbfoster1
03-16-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure about adopting the 15-yard rule. It would be unfair for the offense. If a man gets beaten on a 40 or 50 yard pass and the receiver is in the endzone we would see a lot of PI. I would be in favor of reviewing PI on the endzone.

yeah but from the article, flagerant PIs would result in the same as it is now

JoeJacksonTaylor28
03-16-2005, 10:48 PM
yeah but from the article, flagerant PIs would result in the same as it is now
ok, I just read it... Then I agree.

LadyNRedskinsfan
03-16-2005, 10:55 PM
iam all for the down by contact rule change. that rule alone could have changed the face of lots of games last season. i also hope the league seriously looks into the proposal by the chiefs.

redskin_rich
03-16-2005, 11:02 PM
I don't know, too much rely's on the ref's interpretation of the flagrant call. Maybe I'm just cynical because we have been screwed by the officials so much. I would prefer not to give those clowns any more to think about.

I wouldn't mind the college OT rule or the stopping of the clock on 1st downs until resets.

swheeler
03-16-2005, 11:35 PM
change it. it's annoying when a player fumbles the ball and we recover it and then they call it down by contact.

What if plays weren't blown dead until someone had the ball? If the D gets the fumble, they wouldn't be able to go anywhere if the ref thought it was down by contact and the O would get the ball back. But then the D could challenge and at least get the ball, if not the yardage.

Jimreaper007
03-17-2005, 05:48 AM

If you want to keep the game pure go back to leather helmets with no face guards. What I want is getting the call right and that matters more to me than not showing the beer commercial. Take half the commercials out and the game and it won't be so long.

I am for more instant replays because I do not want to have to stew for a whole year over a bad call. I prefer correct over fast.

IowaSkinsFan
03-18-2005, 02:04 PM

You are so on the money with that. It's the only penalty that's game changing.