PDA

View Full Version : Phillip Daniels - Can he make an impact?

PA Skins Girl
03-21-2005, 05:31 PM
I think if he stays healthy, he can get us 6 or 8 sacks. What do you think?

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=6214

whistleandthumb
03-21-2005, 05:33 PM

I agree. He had some great plays for us last year, and I think he would have really been a beast had he stayed healthy. He's in a great position on this defense where he's not solely responsible for putting pressure on the QB, due to the great blitzes that GW comes up with.

I really hope he can stay on the field this year, and we can really gel as a great DL.

RedskinsVision
03-21-2005, 05:37 PM
he had 2 unlucky injuries last year. tore his groin chasing Barber out of bounds in NY and broke his thumb a few plays after sacking Manning when an OL grabbed his arms down (maybe NY is bad luck to him).

he's 32 now but he still has some good years left. 45.5 sacks in 9 seasons is pretty good for a primary run stuffer. if Blache brought him in from Chicago and Williams says we're a better D with him in there, then he's going to be an impact next year.. please stay healthy!

OCSkinzFan
03-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I agree!

With LaVar healthy (and gettin in the backfield) I'm sure Daniel's job should be that much easier. Bowen should be healthy too. Early in the season he was very disruptive to the O line's blocking schemes.

IMALILTEAPOT
03-21-2005, 05:48 PM
yea hes good, a lot of people sleep on him. if hes healthy he can be a beast(what i mean by beast is somewhere around 7 sacks, nothing too crazy)

techskinsfan
03-21-2005, 05:49 PM
is daniels that good that hell make an 8 sack impact...im not sure...but hes a solid player to have in there...i hope he gets back into full form and can give us a good year next year

Shawnb555
03-21-2005, 05:55 PM
if we get another 8 sack de to put in the mix then wynn, phillip and ------ would be a force

COUNCILMAN
03-21-2005, 05:55 PM
I read the article too. Articles are great at this time of the year. Heck, I remember the article 2 years ago when Lavar said he would win Defensive Player of the Year. Guess what? It was just an article.

Lets draft Dan Cody and get a REAL pass rusher.

guinness4health
03-21-2005, 06:01 PM
i think he would max out at 5 at the most, but that is not his real value to us is the fact that he is a monster against the run...and is never out of place....he maintains contain, will get his body in the passing lanes, he recognizes and disrupts screens...

in general he is a extremely intelligent lineman that knows that system and while he is not going to get consistent pressure on the quarterback but in our system the first thing a defensive lineman has to do is play role and don't go outside that role for personnel goals.

akhhorus
03-21-2005, 06:06 PM
I read the article too. Articles are great at this time of the year. Heck, I remember the article 2 years ago when Lavar said he would win Defensive Player of the Year. Guess what? It was just an article.

Why, the skins pass rush did well last year.

colkurtz
03-21-2005, 06:17 PM
I too would like to draft a DE, even if it is a later [developmental] pick. That might give Daniels and Wynn a rotation later in the year; as well as someone they can teach along the way.

The Skinsinator
03-21-2005, 06:24 PM

I think Cody will not be as good in the pros as he was in college. The BIGXII was weak which made him look better. He will however be a good player in the NFL but not great. I would prefer Merriman or E. James. A lot of people are forgetting about James. I really feel he will turn into a great pass rusher at the next level.

skins111111
03-21-2005, 06:41 PM
he could be huge.......can't wait to see if he can walk the walk

bgforever
03-21-2005, 06:47 PM
i think he would max out at 5 at the most, but that is not his real value to us is the fact that he is a monster against the run...and is never out of place....he maintains contain, will get his body in the passing lanes, he recognizes and disrupts screens...

in general he is a extremely intelligent lineman that knows that system and while he is not going to get consistent pressure on the quarterback but in our system the first thing a defensive lineman has to do is play role and don't go outside that role for personnel goals.

Aside from looking like a juiced up Michael Jordan in his www.redskins.com photo shoot, one would hope he could match said likeness from his peak career days in the NBA. I also agree he, aside from injury is still a powerful force on the DLine. Whomever we draft, get or sign for the DE spot, will have to fight through Wynn, Warner, Evans, Daniels for the most part to prove his value aside from the Wonderfulicking Tests, Combustions and Ho days.

Every year names are thrown around, even the sure fire (but later fizzle in the great ole' Not For Long and some guy that was supposed to be too weak and too slow and didn't play the name schools, comes from Mytownisonly1milelong, Wyoming and played ball at Onemorechanceatthiscollege, WY becomes an overnight hustler and winner.
Daniels earned his way, and never will I write him off. He's the type of player, who knows when its over. 6 Sacks isn't too high for him, like LaVar, he just got the Lemisnickets!

LadyNRedskinsfan
03-21-2005, 07:01 PM
i think he can be solid, not spectacular, but solid. sort of like renaldo wynn.

COUNCILMAN
03-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Why, the skins pass rush did well last year.

Where was it when the Cowboys beat the Skins twice and Vinnie threw a TD pass with 30 seconds left?

Where was it when Brett Favre threw for nearly 300 yards in FEDEX?

Where was it when Jeff Garcia was throwing for first downs in Cleveland?

The Skins have no pass rush...all they have is the blitz. Its okay for your cornerback to sack the QB for 6 yards on 2nd down...but on 3rd and 16 when your corner is downfield and the QB has 7 seconds to pass and completes the pass for a first down....the chains keep moving. That happened over and over aven after an occasional sack.

The Skins get that occasional sack from the blitz...but the REST of the time there is NO pressure. Can you even begin to understand that? If not, try watching the film over and over and you might see that the chains are moving against the Skins with PASSES...not with that 3.1 ypg average on the ground.

Anybody else want to comment on it? The Skins have the best defense against the run in the league...a league low 3.1 ypg. If you can't run the ball for first downs...then anybody with half a brain would understand that all the first downs and yardage was coming from the AIR. The Skins simply can't seem to stop the pass when they HAVE to. Its a good defense but its not a great defense because their just isn't a pass rush...except for the bltiz occasionally getting to the QB. Some of you will have to understand that contant pressure is different than an occasional sack. Games are won from PRESSURE...not the actual sacks. There are MANY more incomplete passes from pressure than there are actual sacks.

You may get 4 sacks in a game and lose the game because the other 28 times the QB went back to pass....the corner was covering and the linebacker was covering or getting picked up by the tight end...and thus the passes were complete. 4 blitz sacks are never going to be as effective as ZERO sacks and 10 pressures. It is PRESSURE which causes fumbles, interceptions, and incompletions. Those 3 things are far more devastating to an offense than just have 4 sacks.

It is pressure that the Skins don't get and it is a defensive end that the Skins need. Somebody explain it to him.

akhhorus
03-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Where was it when the Cowboys beat the Skins twice and Vinnie threw a TD pass with 30 seconds left?

The Skins have no pass rush...all they have is the blitz. Its okay for your cornerback to sack the QB for 6 yards on 2nd down...but on 3rd and 16 when your corner is downfield and the QB has 7 seconds to pass and completes the pass for a first down....the chains keep moving. That happened over and over aven after an occasional sack.

The Skins get that occasional sack from the blitz...but the REST of the time there is NO pressure. Can you even begin to understand that? If not, try watching the film over and over and you might see that the chains are moving against the Skins with PASSES...not with that 3.1 ypg average on the ground.

Anybody else want to comment on it? The Skins have the best defense against the run in the league...a league low 3.1 ypg. If you can't run the ball for first downs...then anybody with half a brain would understand that all the first downs and yardage was coming from the AIR. The Skins simply can't seem to stop the pass when they HAVE to. Its a good defense but its not a great defense because their just isn't a pass rush...except for the bltiz occasionally getting to the QB. Some of you will have to understand that contant pressure is different than an occasional sack. Games are won from PRESSURE...not the actual sacks. There are MANY more incomplete passes from pressure than there are actual sacks.

You may get 4 sacks in a game and lose the game because the other 28 times the QB went back to pass....the corner was covering and the linebacker was covering or getting picked up by the tight end...and thus the passes were complete. 4 blitz sacks are never going to be as effective as ZERO sacks and 10 pressures. It is PRESSURE which causes fumbles, interceptions, and incompletions. Those 3 things are far more devastating to an offense than just have 4 sacks.

It is pressure that the Skins don't get and it is a defensive end that the Skins need. Somebody explain it to him.

So your contention is that QB pressures are better than sacks, and those in turn are a better indicator of a pass rush. The skins had 41 sacks last year. 20 of them came from Dlinemen. And they're failing to rush the passer? The skins have zero talent at Dline and they had more sacks than the Jets(who had John Abraham, Shaun Ellis, Ferguson, Bryan Thomas and Dewayne Robinson), more than Minnesota(Udeze and Kevin Williams), New Orleans(with 3 very good DEs), Carolina(Peppers, Jenkins and Rucker), St Louis(Little), Arizona(Berry), Houston(Walker, Payne, Robarie Smith), Jacksonville(Stroud and Henderson), Chicago(Ogunleye and Alex Brown), Seattle(winstrom and Okeafor), Cincy(Justin Smith & Duane Clemons) and MIami(Jason Taylor and David Bownes).

So how does having good dlinemen lead to having an effective pass rush exactly, Rick? It seems like the Skins are getting to the passer fine with zero talent on the dline.

I guess this is the point in the debate, since your factual errors have been exposed, for you to start ignoring this thread?

Vonslydog
03-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Wow, now even innocent threads are being morphed into more COUNCILMAN propaganda. I've said it before, and will again. This is getting old.

akhhorus
03-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Wow, no even innocent threads are being morphed into more COUNCILMAN propaganda. I've said it before, and will again. This is getting old.

Usually I would think that he is a fake, someone using a different Screen Name to rile us up for fun. But I know he's real. He said basically the same things last year. Until he got the message that no-one liked him and that no-one respected his opinions at all. So he came back in a different name thinking that no-one would make the connection.

whitskins
03-21-2005, 07:58 PM
I guess this is the point in the debate, since your factual errors have been exposed, for you to start ignoring this thread?

I hope so because this debate is getting ooooooooooooold. C-Man, if we draft Dan Cody and he has 10 sacks, or even anywhere close, I'll change my screenname to "I Heart Councilman", can we at least pick a new topic to yell and scream about though?

sdredskinsfan
03-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Wow, no even innocent threads are being morphed into more COUNCILMAN propaganda. I've said it before, and will again. This is getting old.

I vacillate between thinking he's irritating -because of his unwillingness to just say he disagrees without comments such as "You just don't get it" - to thinking his posts are just entertainment.

The irritating part reminds me of Solomon Paige (sp?) on the NFL Network's Playbook show who tries to get his point across by talking (almost shouting) over his co-analysts.

redwolf1218
03-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Daniels can stop the run and get maybe 5 sacks. that's enough, when added to all the other unexpected sacks. i believe we were #1 in the NFC against the run, allowing something like 3.1 yds per carry. Daniels can add to that and maybe get a few sacks along the way.

IowaSkinsFan
03-22-2005, 06:59 AM

5 tops. He doesn't have the burst anymore.

joethefan
03-22-2005, 07:11 AM
I think he does have some gas left in the tank....I do hope he stays healthy anough to play in at least 12 games.....he'd be a huge difference maker for us....

redwolf1218
03-22-2005, 07:37 AM
I think he does have some gas left in the tank....I do hope he stays healthy anough to play in at least 12 games.....he'd be a huge difference maker for us....
i think so too, especially after basically having last year off. His legs and body should be fresh, plus he was able to watch and learn the Williams defense and the tendencies of his new team mates. He already has familiarity with Blache, and they brought him in for a reason. i dont think he'll be any kind of speed rusher but he's not going to get run over either.

warpaint
03-22-2005, 07:48 AM
hope he can stay healthy this year ,if he does will be solid .

Kanman21
03-22-2005, 08:39 AM
He'll definatley play well for us for the next few years. I agree we need to draft a pass rusher eventually, but maybe not even this year. I don't think we use #9 to draft a DE. If the big 4 are gone (MW, Braylon, Rolle, Pac Man), then we can trade down and get Cody or James or Pollack or whoever they think is best.

smoak
03-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Considering the number one priority I want from any D-lineman is the ability to stop the run, I think he'll be just fine. I'm not sure he'll get the reps to rack up much more than 5-6 sacks, but hey, that ain't half bad.

CNYSkinFan
03-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Daniels would be great in a two man rotation with Warner. If we could get Brown and rotate wynn brown Daniels and warner we could have a fresh ends every series if we want to. I like Dainels, he seemed effective when he played. He just was not in as much as he should of been. It's put up or shut up time for him this year.

redskins.uk
03-22-2005, 10:37 AM

Here we go again? None of this, that and whatever. Unless the opposition racks up 0 points with no yards either rushing or passing and the defense has 15 sacks and 47 pressures a game you're not happy. We were the 3rd ranked defense and 7th against the pass. Not bad for a team that is desperate for DE's. This is getting boring.

Oh, Daniels is a solid DE and will do a great job for GW. If he gets 5/6 sacks that's fine and when add his stats into the mix i.e Lavar back and healthy, Taylor another year working with GW etc. Our defense will be solid

skinsfan36
03-22-2005, 12:08 PM
we can use clemons as a end on 3rd downs cuz hes a heck of a pass rusher.

PA Skins Girl
03-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Man, if we can stay healthy, our defense is gonna be scary good.

skinsfan36
03-22-2005, 12:26 PM
Man, if we can stay healthy, our defense is gonna be scary good.
i agree,we were 3rd(should have been 2nd but buffalo had an easy day against pittsburghs 2nd string in week 17)w/out bowen,arrington,daniels,lott

Meatsnack
03-22-2005, 01:22 PM

Cody weighed 257 at his pro-day workout two weeks ago. He would be eaten alive as a 4-3 DE at that weight. Daniels on the other hand allowed us to control the line of scrimmage vs. the run. I would much rather have a healthy Daniels letting us limit teams to 80 yards rushing per game week in and week out. If you can make teams one dimensional, your defense can gamble and come up with turnovers and scores more often. If Daniels gets anything more than his 5-sack average it is gravy.

Meatsnack
03-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Whenever I think of Daniels it makes me think of Marcus Spears. They are similar players and it would be cool to have Daniels tutor Spears. Spears could be that run-stopping end that gets 8-10 sacks a year on the right line and with the right coaching.

akhhorus
03-22-2005, 01:48 PM
I hope so because this debate is getting ooooooooooooold. C-Man, if we draft Dan Cody and he has 10 sacks, or even anywhere close, I'll change my screenname to "I Heart Councilman", can we at least pick a new topic to yell and scream about though?

I would like to point out that COUNCILMAN has been online twice since I posted, and chosen to ignore this thread....hmmm...wonder why.

bgforever
03-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Whenever I think of Daniels it makes me think of Marcus Spears. They are similar players and it would be cool to have Daniels tutor Spears. Spears could be that run-stopping end that gets 8-10 sacks a year on the right line and with the right coaching.

Interesting, because I thought that if Daniels returns and stays in the lineup this time around, the rotation of Warner and Evans with Wynn spending split time at DT with Nobles and Salave'a, Griffin, would be more than enough. Yet adding an even more solid DE to the mix, young legs, would take the D Line over the top. Daniels creates more opportunities for Warner, Evans and Wynn when he's in, because he pressures so much quicker and takes the QB's selection away from that area (experience), sort of like McGinest.

1994softtail
03-22-2005, 10:22 PM
6-8 sacks and constant pressure allways helps, i would also like to see a young guy signed for these guys to mentor