PDA

View Full Version : "...he will use the ninth pick...DEFENSE..."

rhummer37
03-24-2005, 07:03 PM
http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20050323-115944-2714r.htm

The Hall of Fame coach hinted he will use the ninth pick in next month's draft to shore up a defense weakened -- particularly at cornerback -- by the loss of key players to free agency.

:cry: :cry:

However, this guy probably knows as much as we do.

TerpSkins
03-24-2005, 07:09 PM
I'm officially on the "whoever Joe Gibbs desires to draft bandwagon"...Mike Williams wouldn't be too shabby though. :)

IMALILTEAPOT
03-24-2005, 07:17 PM
i have a feeling we might get antrelle rolle. wow, miami hurricanes galore

GolfFreak
03-24-2005, 07:31 PM
If the top picks all go offense, maybe we can't pass up the chance to get the best defensive player, but if it is Defense then I would rather trade down, get a second rounder and take Rogers or one of the DEs.

RedskinsVision
03-24-2005, 07:35 PM
good article. we've added 3 starters on O and lost 2 on D so it's understandable we're looking at the draft to help the D. i also liked how he talked about Ramsey being like Williams and Rypien and needing "to become more of a passer and less of a thrower." good philosophy to instill on our "make or break" QB. and i say again... we love ya' coach!

LadyNRedskinsfan
03-24-2005, 07:36 PM
i look at this way....where would we have been without our defense last year?

......probably picking first overall......:doh:

bgforever
03-24-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm officially on the "whoever Joe Gibbs desires to draft bandwagon"...Mike Williams wouldn't be too shabby though. :)

Thanks, we don't have the kind of facts Joe Gibbs has and Gregg Williams wouldn't even step on Joe Gibbs toes by taking wants over NEEDS.

If that information is a fact in the Washington Times, then it is obvious he's going to get Rodgers, Rolle, or Pac Man (more likely Rolle will be there at 9 or Williams - WR- if its Williams, Rolle and Pac Man still around at 9, Williams would be plucked, but neither Williams or Edwards at 9, means a CB, and whatever we get for Gardner and other options apparently to move up to the second round (high maybe) to get a WR or DE.

The theory is a CB delays a QB's judgement if he is that good, and it causes an aggressive defense like Washington, Baltimore and Philly to collapse the pocket quicker allow LB's to dominate flow.

CarMike
03-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Believe it or not, the more mock drafts I see, have more defensive guys sliding down. Including Derrick Johnson, LBre from Texas.

I'd hate to say it but if he's there at #9, i'd take him in a heartbeat. OR....if he's there at #9, the chances of the Redskins finding a trade down partner will be much more likely.

Just something to think about. Of course mock drafts don't mean squat...

bgforever
03-24-2005, 07:40 PM

True

rhummer37
03-24-2005, 07:46 PM

But whose side are you on?

The way I see it is that the defense was very strong last year and was sucessful with whatever players they had available. Also, let's not forget which side of the ball got their man in last year's draft.

The offense however, could use a spark, such as a Mr. B. Edwards or M. Williams.

LadyNRedskinsfan
03-24-2005, 07:53 PM
But whose side are you on?

The way I see it is that the defense was very strong last year and was sucessful with whatever players they had available. Also, let's not forget which side of the ball got their man in last year's draft.

The offense however, could use a spark, such as a Mr. B. Edwards or M. Williams.
IMO, williams and edwards will be gone by the time we pick unless we trade down, i say we go with defense at #9. i agree that our D played great when we just plugged players in, but the one constant position was corner.

whitskins
03-24-2005, 07:55 PM
I'd like to see us add another piece to the offense but Springs isn't exactly a spring chicken, it won't hurt to add a top flight CB. But then again maybe Gibbs is pulling a fast one, nothing is certain.

LadyNRedskinsfan
03-24-2005, 07:59 PM
But then again maybe Gibbs is pulling a fast one, nothing is certain.
thats what im thinking. gibbs isnt going to give away the plan before the draft....

Santheb
03-24-2005, 08:00 PM
I would love for half of our secondary to be 'Canes.

RoanokeSkin
03-24-2005, 08:03 PM
After losing two of our defensive "cornerstones" from last season's #3 ranked defense ... It sounds like a good plan to me.

akhhorus
03-24-2005, 08:03 PM
I dont believe ANYTHING that is said publically about what team is drafting who when.

akhhorus
03-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Believe it or not, the more mock drafts I see, have more defensive guys sliding down. Including Derrick Johnson, LBre from Texas.

I'd hate to say it but if he's there at #9, i'd take him in a heartbeat. OR....if he's there at #9, the chances of the Redskins finding a trade down partner will be much more likely.

Just something to think about. Of course mock drafts don't mean squat...

If Derrick Johnson drops to 9, there will be a ton of teams looking to deal up for him. The skins can get a great deal for him then. He cannot play ILB or MLB and would be a wasted pick for the skins.

Redskinfan28
03-24-2005, 08:12 PM
Joe Gibbs is a master of saying things publicly regarding personel moves when it is all BS. You can't believe what he says in the newspaper.

akhhorus
03-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Joe Gibbs is a master of saying things publicly regarding personel moves when it is all BS. You can't believe what he says in the newspaper.

http://hailredskins.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=23699

Nunyo: "Well, Gibbs has always been secretive in the first place"

Nunyo: "It's difficult to gauge a team's true intentions for the draft. There's so many false leads, and smoke screens. And Gibbs is as great as anyone in hiding his true intentions."

LATrueRedskin
03-24-2005, 08:18 PM
I dont believe ANYTHING that is said publically about what team is drafting who when.

I don't either. Why would a team reveal its true intentions this early in the game?

COUNCILMAN
03-24-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks, we don't have the kind of facts Joe Gibbs has and Gregg Williams wouldn't even step on Joe Gibbs toes by taking wants over NEEDS.

The theory is a CB delays a QB's judgement if he is that good, and it causes an aggressive defense like Washington, Baltimore and Philly to collapse the pocket quicker allow LB's to dominate flow.

Actually the theory..that is...the FACT...is..that a great corner can be taken out of the game. Norv Turner use to do it when Deon played for the Cowboys. He just let Deion take 1 receiver out of the game...and then played out 10 guys against their 10 guys. And the crazy thing is that Norv had pretty good success against the Cowboys!

Just let your receiver run down the sideline every play and you can take that corner out of the equation. But if we draft a defensive end or linebacker, they can be in on EVERY play. Draft Derrick Johnson or Cody or James and you get a fulltime player who can't be taken out of the equation....and who can be a factor on either the pass play or the running play.

redwolf1218
03-24-2005, 08:41 PM
If Derrick Johnson drops to 9, there will be a ton of teams looking to deal up for him. The skins can get a great deal for him then. He cannot play ILB or MLB and would be a wasted pick for the skins.
teams will only trade with us for him if they believe we want him. otherwise they might as well wait to trade with the next team in line. we have to act as if we need/want him. so far we have everyone thinking we "need" a corner (because Smoot's gone), a QB (Hasselback), a linebacker (Pierce/Barrow), a big receiver (bunch of little guys, and "inquiring" about Dyson)...just about any positional player there when we pick. perfect.

D-Ruck #8
03-24-2005, 08:59 PM
You shouldn't believe Gibbs at this time of year....he's really unpredicatable.

bgforever
03-24-2005, 09:06 PM
Actually the theory..that is...the FACT...is..that a great corner can be taken out of the game. Norv Turner use to do it when Deon played for the Cowboys. He just let Deion take 1 receiver out of the game...and then played out 10 guys against their 10 guys. And the crazy thing is that Norv had pretty good success against the Cowboys!

Just let your receiver run down the sideline every play and you can take that corner out of the equation. But if we draft a defensive end or linebacker, they can be in on EVERY play. Draft Derrick Johnson or Cody or James and you get a fulltime player who can't be taken out of the equation....and who can be a factor on either the pass play or the running play.

I know he still practices that, but that doesn't have the success it used to because of what an "aggressive" defense with faster players in the right spot, can do, especially with faster safeties. This allows that cover corner to go one one with them and the defense to focus on the weaker points of the offense. You're aren't going to win every battle, but you still be in the game.

redskin_rich
03-24-2005, 09:09 PM
There is only one thing I want to hear at the draft when our #9 pick comes up,
"Washington has traded their pick".

redwolf1218
03-24-2005, 09:11 PM
then..."but wait, nevermind about the Redskins, there's been a QB swap."

bgforever
03-24-2005, 09:16 PM

I am hoping it too, but if the news is true that straight up we're going for defense at 9, then confusion is back in the equation, thanks to a master of unpredictability - JG. If that turned out that 9 was in fact a pick for defense, I can clearly see it being a corner, if you go that high. However, a lot of teams will scoop up quite a few of the D linemen. Tampa Bay seems to be attempting to jockey in two areas of the draft, while Philadelphia will almost assuredly go for balance at both sides of the ball, with so many picks.
Indianapolis will play mop up also going for the later of each round for defense, while the top tier is certainly going to SF, Ariz, Det. and STL.

bgforever
03-24-2005, 09:20 PM
That's it for me, I am reminded by my fellow collegeaues, that once again JG has thrown an egg out there and we should his oatmeal to show up soon :)

akhhorus
03-24-2005, 09:34 PM

true, but you're sacrificing a wideout, probably your best wideout to do it. Which means the defense wins that trade off. Again, the Skins were ninth in the league is sacks, and had more sacks than a lot of Defenses which features multiple pass rushing threats. How is upgrading this the Skins' top priority.

skinsfan36
03-24-2005, 09:48 PM
pick up rolle,then with our 3rd take a de,and if a second third is aquired in the gardner trade draft a wr,the 4th take leflours,6th,7th offensive guard,big blocking te

Odyn
03-24-2005, 11:47 PM
Well, I really got nothing to say, just that CarMike now officially has the best avatar hands down.

Oh yeah.....draft....

Here is my top three in order(who I would want if they were available):

Mike Williams
Carlos Rodgers
Antrel Rolle

Very simple. Size, speed, physical. That is what we need on the edges on both sides of the ball.

redwolf1218
03-25-2005, 06:01 AM
Well, I really got nothing to say, just that CarMike now officially has the best avatar hands down.

i am kind of partial to RedskinsVision's avatar.

take the best corner first, trade down if possible. this will be an interesting draft. i have no idea who we will pick, unlike some past years where i pretty much knew. we have plenty of areas we could use someone, but dont really have to reach for any of them.

CNYSkinFan
03-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Gibbs is a master of hinting he will do one thing here and another there. The Times is the same paper that postulated Lavar for Moss earlier as well.

It is a long off season and we are now about to get into the craziest portion, the 4 weeks before the draft. Rumours fly and sepeculation abounds but facts a scarce and hard to come by.

techskinsfan
03-25-2005, 09:32 AM
i dislike the idea of takin a cb with the 9 pick...cbs are commanding more and more money and id like to have a guy we could keep around for a little while not a guy thats just gonna up and leave like champ and smoot...if we go d go de...not that they cost less in the longrun...but i think we can reload from within at cb and be fine...try to find 2 more wilds and browns late in the draft and in udfa...if we must pick one at nine id prolly say go for pacman

Kanman21
03-25-2005, 09:38 AM

I agree entirely. Whoever he drafts will be fine with me.

OCSkinzFan
03-25-2005, 06:13 PM
Times:"The Hall of Fame coach hinted he will use the ninth pick in next month's draft to shore up a defense weakened -- particularly at cornerback -- by the loss of key players to free agency."

I think Gibbs wants everyone to think that he wants them to think the opposite of what he says, so if he says the opposite of what he's thinking, he really wants everyone to....wait I confused myself again... Oh, yea I remember. We're drafting a punter at #9! It's perfect! No one will see it coming!!

:goofy: Me and Gibbs is so smart.

colkurtz
03-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Smoke, mirrors, false doors, shadows, virtual reality and the kama sutra...... Anyone who thinks they know what Joe Gibbs will pick this draft is simply guessing. No one know what eight prior teams will chooose AND the other huge variable is whether the phone will be ringing, to make a trade during our draft time at #9.

Personally, I think they Gibbs/Willaims team will keep it simple at their #9 picks - 'best available at that time'. Offense players will been picked clean by the other eight beforehand. I wonder if the team will go with Heath Miller or Williamson at #9. Both may have captured Gibbs eye......................It's all smoke and mirrors until he actually picks.

CowboyKiller#9
03-31-2005, 03:28 PM
I'm calling shotgun for the Antrel Rolle bandwagon

Ramsey2Moss
03-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Rogers, Rolle, Crowder, or James.

Taylor_36
03-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Gibbs loves those Canes, i predict Antrell Rolle if hes still there at the 9th pick!

BurgundyNGold
03-31-2005, 04:28 PM
Gibbs loves those Canes, i predict Antrell Rolle if hes still there at the 9th pick!
Yeah, but too many 'Canes and you're in danger of a mutiny.

Taylor_36
03-31-2005, 04:36 PM
hahahaha :lol1:

skins111111
03-31-2005, 09:31 PM
they almost have to go with Rolle or Pac Man

redskin_rich
03-31-2005, 09:33 PM
they almost have to go with Rolle or Pac Man
I'm with you on that if we can't trade down.

Bigskinsfan
03-31-2005, 10:12 PM
I think this year more than most other years the top ten of the draft is up in the air. I don't thinkthat a decision will be made until after AZ picks. I think they expect one of the corners to be there. But if one of the WRs is still on the board it would hard to pass up the chace to improvr the offense.

skinsfan36
03-31-2005, 10:33 PM
anyone hear the pac mans drug testing rumor,i think we will probably go antrell rolle but if the jones rumor is true definetly go rolle

COUNCILMAN
04-01-2005, 05:54 AM
I think this year more than most other years the top ten of the draft is up in the air. I don't thinkthat a decision will be made until after AZ picks. I think they expect one of the corners to be there. But if one of the WRs is still on the board it would hard to pass up the chace to improvr the offense.

No doubt its up in the air. BUT....and that is also why every team is working out and interviewing absolutely EVERYBODY. There is not one team out there that is completely locked in on 1 single player, will refuse a trade, and knows who they are going to draft at this point.

I think just about every team would like to trade down a few notches and pick up value but because EVERY team wants to do that and nobody actually wants to trade UP...all the teams are just working out a bunch af guys and getting ready to draft the best fit for their team when the time comes. They are all stuck where they don't want to be: in a weak draft.

As the fat guy in those mafia movies always says..."it is what it is".

skins111111
04-01-2005, 06:18 AM
anyone hear the pac mans drug testing rumor,i think we will probably go antrell rolle but if the jones rumor is true definetly go rolle

have you got a link........could be very interesting

joethefan
04-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Well he's right or not, that's not the issue....remember we gained three additions to the offense and lost two to the defense...we'll go Defense this year....unless MW is sitting there.

Remember last year when JG allegedly told Wins-low that he was gonna take him...many people thought that was the direction we'd go in...but turned around and picked up "Swoops". (the name the skins gave Taylor)

Redblood
04-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Of course mock drafts don't mean squat...

You have to look at all Mocks collectively and take a general concensous.

LavarLeap2003
04-01-2005, 11:08 AM
we need Mike Williams to resolve all of our probelms(even on defnese) becuase we wouldnt worry about DE's/Corner when we have him Scoring TD"s left and right ;)

Emmanouel8
04-01-2005, 08:26 PM
Gibbs will want to be in games in the 4th qtr as we were last year. We were in all but 2 games (?) thanks to the defense. If the defense isn't were it should be then it needs the attention b/c we are not a Mike Williams away from the Colts' offense.

We will grab a CB no doubt.