PDA

View Full Version : If the name Redskins was outlawed...

GeneralDisorder
04-11-2005, 05:53 PM
It's an ethnic sensitive issue that seems to raise it's head every season, but I'm asking:-

If the name Redskins was outlawed - apart from Super Bowl Champions, what would you want the team called...?

BurgundyNGold
04-11-2005, 05:54 PM
The Skinreds.

RedskinsDave
04-11-2005, 05:56 PM
The Bullets.......

IMALILTEAPOT
04-11-2005, 05:56 PM
the warriors

whitskins
04-11-2005, 05:59 PM
the warriors

Hey, I like that one.

silverspring
04-11-2005, 05:59 PM
if we had to change it i would rather we keep it something that breathes the redskin spirit rather than something like the Warriors, Cherokees or whatever......I vote for
The HOGS

GeneralDisorder
04-11-2005, 06:03 PM
How about the Washington Pasquerellies...?

That'd really piss one person at ESPN off as he wrote yet another story dissing the team...

akhhorus
04-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Snyder owns the copyright to the name "Washington Warriors" just in case. Everyone thought it was for a potential AFL team, but Snyder has never made a move towards getting one.

JoeJacksonTaylor28
04-11-2005, 06:21 PM
The Washington Redsskins!!

The Skinsinator
04-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Snyder owns the copyright to the name "Washington Warriors" just in case. Everyone thought it was for a potential AFL team, but Snyder has never made a move towards getting one.

Where do you get all your info from, seriously? You are friggin' insanely knowledgeable.

RedskinsDave
04-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Where do you get all your info from, seriously? You are friggin' insanely knowledgeable.

Great now he's gonna have to call those carpenters back and get the doors widened again........;)

portis&taylor
04-11-2005, 06:31 PM
i like warriors

IndianBaller27
04-11-2005, 06:39 PM
The Bullets.......
I would love that... But it would probably be Warriors.

techskinsfan
04-11-2005, 06:42 PM
what about skins...thats not racist is it...and then just...nevermind that wouldnt work...NO NAME CHANGE...cant

Jimreaper007
04-11-2005, 07:00 PM
The Washington Billable Hours (more Washingtonians would undertsand that)

:D

whistleandthumb
04-11-2005, 07:00 PM
How about the Washington The-Cowboys-Are-Our-Bitches?

Seriously, if a name change WAS to happen, I do like the idea of THE HOGS. Keep the logo, keep the colors, keep everything else. Just change the name to THE HOGS.

Or THE GIBBS.

Whichever.

LATrueRedskin
04-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Great now he's gonna have to call those carpenters back and get the doors widened again........;)

LOL. I would despise a name change, but the Warriors would possibly be the best possible name we could have.

BIGSEF3
04-11-2005, 07:02 PM
the fillabusters j/k

akhhorus
04-11-2005, 07:06 PM

Photographic memory. I rarely forget what I read or hear.

skins74
04-11-2005, 07:39 PM
The Washington Cowboy Killers, Bravehearts, The Scalpers.

JoeJacksonTaylor28
04-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Can you tell me the complete list of the ST BW?? I would love to have it again.... :D

Kann du deutsch? Oder.... Sprechen Sie deutsch?

akhhorus
04-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Can you tell me the complete list of the ST BW?? I would love to have it again.... :D

Kann du deutsch? Oder.... Sprechen Sie deutsch?

THE LIST:
RedskinFan28
joethefan
Dexter72
Fan4ever
3CardMonte
War_Hogg
Chef
Emmaouel8
Officer Barbrady
IowaSkinsFan
Mr. Garrison
Shabba
skinswin
jimmmbobb

thecheat48
04-11-2005, 07:59 PM
The Washington Billable Hours (more Washingtonians would undertsand that)

:D

I love that one. and the Filibusters too. HOw bout the Washington Cicadas? Or the Washington Delegates? Washington SwampRats?

I also read a couple stories that mentioned how Snyder got the rights to the Washington Warriors...I believe it was the two seasons ago. They mentioned going back to the old uniforms too (with the spear on the helmet), like the 70th anniv year.

I like the Hogs, but that'll never work.

I'm gonna get killed for this, but i'm not a big fan of the name. It wouldnt bother me if they changed it to the Warriors or something else. I'm not attached to the name at all - I am attached to the team, players, coaches, history etc...and to be the name is not very central.

--- the cheat

redskin_rich
04-11-2005, 08:01 PM
THE LIST:
RedskinFan28
joethefan
Dexter72
Fan4ever
3CardMonte
War_Hogg
Chef
Emmaouel8
Officer Barbrady
IowaSkinsFan
Mr. Garrison
Shabba
skinswin
jimmmbobb
LMAO, Is that really someone here screen name?

Jimreaper007
04-11-2005, 08:05 PM
I am not a fan of the name and would welcome a change to the Warriors.

smoak
04-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Honestly, that might be the day I retire my jersey... Then again I am in a foul mood so who knows.

tommahawk
04-11-2005, 08:13 PM
It's the Washington Redskins that I respect and love.
Don't take that away.

lavarsamonster
04-11-2005, 08:22 PM
i couldnt see a name change, just because of the tradition, if they had been an expansion team ala the jags or panthers i bet that a name change wouldve already happened

but IF it was the warriors sound good but i would like to have an original one and not share it with someone else (golden state) thats part of what makes the redskins so unique, not sharing their name with another pro sports team

ImmortalDragon
04-11-2005, 08:34 PM
The Washington Matt Joneses

JoeJacksonTaylor28
04-11-2005, 08:35 PM
LMAO, Is that really someone here screen name?
he's joking around :)

redskin_rich
04-11-2005, 08:38 PM
he's joking around :)
I figured it out when I went back and looked at the list. Mr. Garrison would be a funny SN, though.

Estrn_Shoreskin
04-11-2005, 08:47 PM
I like "The Godless Savages" or "The Hethens"... Something wholesome we can all rally around on Sundays.

hockeygoalie29
04-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Well, according to the recent Post article, the legal issue concerns only the trademark for the Redskins name. They can't legally make Snyder change the name of the team but without a trademark anyone could distribute "Redskins" merchandise which would create a big hole in Snyders pocket.

For 40 years the team operated without a trademark on its name, and it could go on using the name without a trademark, said Judge A. Raymond Randolph. Trademarks allow the team to control distribution of team merchandise, and Randolph said the consequence of revoking the trademark could be a proliferation of Redskins apparel.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37913-2005Apr8.html

thecheat48
04-11-2005, 09:06 PM
This is probably my last post on this subject, cause i have my views/politics and i tend not to share them on forums such as this. I support a name change, most on this site dont. I'm not gonna change minds so i dont post messages trying to convert folx to my side...

That being said, I dont wear Redskins gear, I dont buy jerseys/hats etc...I wish I could, but I dont feel comfortable buying/wearing any of it. Call me PC or whatever, its just where i stand. I respect people's desire to maintain part off a tradition and keep the name, even though i dont like it. I'd ask folx to respect my right to wish it was something different. And i will pretty much express my desire for a different name off-site.

To me, the bigger travesty (than a name change) is that the football team representing Washington, DC plays in Maryland. I was born and raised in DC (and will most likely move back at some point) and I hate Fed Ex, Raljon etc. If i could have deep-pockets Snyder build a stadium on the same site as RFK, demolish Fedex and bring the team home, I would do it without batting an eyelash.

As far as i can tell, unless the fans object (which the vast majority dont,and i'm not sure it would matter if they did), the courts have the say on the name. Thus my opinion really doesnt count for much. I just felt it was important to mention it at least once.

--- the cheat

skins111111
04-11-2005, 09:32 PM
If it ever happens I think I would puke.........to see a bunck of sniffeling whining crybabies get their way just because they had nothing better to do than complain about something to make themselves feel worthwhile.......some people just need a cause and I guess thats ok, but can't they find one thats a little more important and meaningful.....talk about making mountains out of molehills.
how about "Redd Skins"

akhhorus
04-11-2005, 09:38 PM
I used to think it was pretty offensive a name, and I brought it up one night to a friend who is a native american and is a Native historian. And she said that most of the natives she knows actually doesnt mind any of it at all(she's a cherokee). While she was writing her thesis on customs in the plains, and went out there, she saw plenty of Redskins' gear and Braves, Chiefs etc etc. And she said the name in the DC area is older than the NFL team. The natives of the east coast, the areas that had river clay(Basically from the Pee Dee river in SC to Philadelphia) that the tribes would smear the red clay on them when going into battle. The whites would see this and think that this was their usual skin color. And that the nickname "redskin" was in fashion until around the Revolutionary time and then disappeared until the 1920s. And the rise in western novels, who all wrote that the whites called them "redskins". Which isnt true at all. That was Karl Mack(I believe) who started that, and he was a German who never came to the US.

padraic
04-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Washington Warpath............and we would be the only team without a S on the end.

JoeyTForLife
04-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Washington Joe Gibbs of Maryland

Emmanouel8
04-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Potomacs

OCSkinzFan
04-11-2005, 10:39 PM
the Football Team - Formerly and Utherwise Known as the Redskins.
or (FT - FUKR)

lavarsamonster
04-11-2005, 11:10 PM
or (FT - FUKR)

it would be FT-FUKR, its otherwise

Skinsguy1
04-11-2005, 11:17 PM
I'd be down with the Washington Warpath

GeneralDisorder
04-12-2005, 12:15 AM
In as much as people deride Dan Snyder for squeezing bucks out of the most inopportune places, they also forget that FedEx was built by the team's previous owners.

I have to say that I hope the team is never in the position where it has to change it's name. Washington wouldn't be the same without the Redskins.

That said, if people have genuinely suffered DIRECTLY because of the name used by the team, then there is cause for concern. But I wouldn't want the name change forced by some looney pressure groups like the ones we had here in the UK in the 80's...

sdredskinsfan
04-12-2005, 02:44 AM
Washington Warpath............and we would be the only team without a S on the end.

I'm sure we'd get war protesters on the mall.

BurgundyNGold
04-12-2005, 03:19 AM
I'd be down with the Washington Warpath
That hits a little to close tohome these days :D

Redblood
04-12-2005, 06:40 AM
This is probably my last post on this subject, cause i have my views/politics and i tend not to share them on forums such as this. I support a name change, most on this site dont. I'm not gonna change minds so i dont post messages trying to convert folx to my side...

That being said, I dont wear Redskins gear, I dont buy jerseys/hats etc...I wish I could, but I dont feel comfortable buying/wearing any of it. Call me PC or whatever, its just where i stand. I respect people's desire to maintain part off a tradition and keep the name, even though i dont like it. I'd ask folx to respect my right to wish it was something different. And i will pretty much express my desire for a different name off-site.

To me, the bigger travesty (than a name change) is that the football team representing Washington, DC plays in Maryland. I was born and raised in DC (and will most likely move back at some point) and I hate Fed Ex, Raljon etc. If i could have deep-pockets Snyder build a stadium on the same site as RFK, demolish Fedex and bring the team home, I would do it without batting an eyelash.

As far as i can tell, unless the fans object (which the vast majority dont,and i'm not sure it would matter if they did), the courts have the say on the name. Thus my opinion really doesnt count for much. I just felt it was important to mention it at least once.

--- the cheat

I don't say it much either, but I don't wear Redskins clothing, hats or anything else for the reason it is disparaging, albiet some would indeed disagree.

I disagree on your stadium issue. It is where it is. And it is inside of the Beltway. As long as it is in, or anywhere near the Beltway, it is fine with me. Folks in Fredicksburg, Front Royal, Waldorf, or Laurel still look to DC as their town. That is where the seat of power is for the area. Nearly everyone commutes.

thecheat48
04-12-2005, 12:10 PM
I don't say it much either, but I don't wear Redskins clothing, hats or anything else for the reason it is disparaging, albiet some would indeed disagree.

I disagree on your stadium issue. It is where it is. And it is inside of the Beltway. As long as it is in, or anywhere near the Beltway, it is fine with me. Folks in Fredicksburg, Front Royal, Waldorf, or Laurel still look to DC as their town. That is where the seat of power is for the area. Nearly everyone commutes.

I still go to Fed Ex (albeit only once a season, I cant afford much more) and do enjoy it (hell, its still live football), but it just isnt RFK.

I was lucky enough to go to some great games at RFK growing up ('88 NFC champioship being one of them) and I got spoiled. Simple as that.

And Fed-ex is barely inside the Beltway. BUt i know what you're saying. I guess i get a bit stuck up and DC-centric about geography. What can i say, a lot of us have chips on our shoulders...

--- the cheat

I

bgforever
04-12-2005, 12:13 PM
the warriors

Ditto

possible second choice - Pioneers

ScalpinSteve
04-12-2005, 12:31 PM
The Washington Pigmentally Challenged...
The Smallpox Blankets... or...
The Washington Bible Shunners.

dj_stouty
04-12-2005, 12:38 PM
I suggest we slap some Red Potatos on the helmet so we can keep the name...

bgforever
04-12-2005, 12:44 PM

:lol1:

I guess we could also call Redskins Park, "Cabbage Patch" for a perfect compliment!

whistleandthumb
04-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Brilliant.

Totally brilliant.

thecheat48
04-12-2005, 01:56 PM
The Smallpox Blankets... or...

Straight up, that's not funny or clever.

The name Redskins is up for debate. Planned genocide against Native Americans/American Indians is not. It happened and it isnt a f'ing joke.

and no, i wont lighten up.

--- the cheat

BurgundyNGold
04-12-2005, 02:05 PM

I wear Redskins gear, specifically because it is disparaging... to Cowboy and Iggles fans. I've got a hat, a couple of shirts and a few pairs of shorts, and never find myself having to apologize to anybody for wearing them. Not that I would. Anybody who doesn't like what I choose to wear has as much right to screw themselves as I have to wear what I want.

bgforever
04-12-2005, 02:12 PM
I wear Redskins gear, specifically because it is disparaging... to Cowboy and Iggles fans. I've got a hat, a couple of shirts and a few pairs of shorts, and never find myself having to apologize to anybody for wearing them. Not that I would. Anybody who doesn't like what I choose to wear has as much right to screw themselves as I have to wear what I want.

Ker plaw!

Clingon Nation

IndianBaller27
04-12-2005, 02:44 PM
or (FT - FUKR)
lol i like fukr

dcskinsfan13
04-12-2005, 02:50 PM
instead of the red potato thing which is sweet....how about we just go cleveland browns and drop the logo of the inidan (it doesnt offend me but im not too attatched to it) or we could use the arrow logo ...but please do not go back to the yellow "R" helmets... but hey its better than dropping the name

redskin_rich
04-12-2005, 02:56 PM
instead of the red potato thing which is sweet....how about we just go cleveland browns and drop the logo of the inidan (it doesnt offend me but im not too attatched to it) or we could use the arrow logo ...but please do not go back to the yellow "R" helmets... but hey its better than dropping the name
Its the name that offends some, not the logo.
The only logo that I know of that is offensive to Native Americans is the Cleveland Indians smiling Wahoo or whatever its called.
I personally am offended by an evil blue star logo. :dalassuk:

kelly
04-12-2005, 03:18 PM
WARRIORS

p.s. ya know, sometimes this pc stuff can be . . .
ah, forget it :sleeping:

BurgundyNGold
04-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Its the name that offends some, not the logo.
The only logo that I know of that is offensive to Native Americans is the Cleveland Indians smiling Wahoo or whatever its called.
I personally am offended by an evil blue star logo. :dalassuk:
I can think of folks in a few countries that might feel the same way... especially if it's on the underside of a plane :D

dcskinsfan13
04-13-2005, 01:53 PM
sorry haha i actually thought of that after i posted, i realize that its the name

Patrick
04-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Potomacs

OR ......... Pot-O-Macs - NO, then we offend dope smokers.

C-7
04-13-2005, 08:48 PM
the warriors

Hmm, The Washington Warriors.

Not bad.

(Still, I never want to see the name changed)

C-7
04-13-2005, 08:51 PM

What did I just say? :D

skinfandan
04-13-2005, 08:56 PM
the warriors Ditto for me since we would not have to change very much in the way of logos.

C-7
04-13-2005, 09:00 PM
What are the chances that the name will be changed?

tbfoster1
04-13-2005, 09:41 PM
What are the chances that the name will be changed?

if it does happen and i hope it doesn't it will be a long time. appeals and continuations will keep it court for a while

J-Rod
04-14-2005, 08:19 AM

That sh*ts funny...I don't care who you are!!! :lol1:

dj_stouty
04-14-2005, 09:25 AM
Ditto for me since we would not have to change very much in the way of logos.

I gurauntee you...if they change the name to Warriors, but keep the logo, there will still be an uproar about them using a Native American theme for the team.

People will then protest that Native Americans are far more than just "Warriors".

302Xplorer
04-14-2005, 09:36 AM
We need something that's not offensive to anyone in any way. Like the
"Washington Crackerheads".

tbfoster1
04-14-2005, 09:40 AM
I gurauntee you...if they change the name to Warriors, but keep the logo, there will still be an uproar about them using a Native American theme for the team.

People will then protest that Native Americans are far more than just "Warriors".

your right,

as alot of people know, many high schools and some colleges have already had to change their team names or logos
one high school (I think it was in North Carolina) had the name warriors with an indian. instead of changing the name they changed the logo to a futuristic warrior.

http://img240.echo.cx/img240/8408/warrior1rk.jpg
I saved this picture awhile ago so I don't have a link.

Just about everything Native American will be contested eventually

redwolf1218
04-14-2005, 02:44 PM
we should be the "human beings" like the old guy called them in that movie "Little Big Man" with Dustin Hoffman.

warpaint
04-15-2005, 08:14 AM
no aka is not insanely knowledgeable , its just you havent been around as long as he has , or your memory isnt as good as his is. this very thing is talked about all the time here. this very thing was talked about i know last here at about this same time . being from s.c. as aka is , will have to give the cock his dues.

sop_player
04-15-2005, 08:27 AM
I like The Warriors, my only issue;
My R script hat!
I've spent a small fortune on fitted R caps, 70th anniversary R caps, black ones, yellow ones, red ones, etc...

Not to mention, our only option would be a W script cap. And we all know how bad that looks (see the Nats home cap).

Instead, hows about;
The ................ :banghead: I got nutin

How about we move on to more important issues, like my lack of getting all 16 Redskins games on the Eastern Shore!

dj_stouty
04-15-2005, 09:17 AM
Welcome aboard, Sop.

I actually like the Nat's "W" Hat.

sop_player
04-15-2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks,

The "W" is OK, but it's not "The R".
I'm a much bigger fan of the intertwined DC.

I'm probably partial only because my memories of our Glory Years always include Mr. gibbs with his very fashioable skins sweaters and a "trucker cap" with a script R.

Either way, the name does not matter too much to me. It will be a sad day if it is changed but it's more important that it's DC's team, my home team.

Spence
04-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Washington Warlords.

dj_stouty
04-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Washington Warlords.

What do think the logo would look like?

Spence
04-15-2005, 09:51 AM
To maintain some kind of continuity, I'd keep the burgundy and gold colors and I'd use a spear, similar to the one you see Sonny wearing in my avatar. A spear is not an Amerindian sign of war, it's a universal sign of war. The spear is a weapon that was or is common to virtual all societies on the planet. I think the deep burgundy helmet with a gold spear looks fantastic. We could lose the feather if that helps disassociate the logo from Amerindians, although many other cultures attached feathers to spears--some Africans, Germans, etc.

redwolf1218
04-15-2005, 09:53 AM
The Washington Poison.

Skull & Crossbones logo on the helmet.

dj_stouty
04-15-2005, 10:12 AM
The Washington Edskinsray. (Pig Latin)

Spence
04-15-2005, 10:31 AM
The Washington Edskinsray. (Pig Latin)You'd have the Amerindians, Catholic Church, and PETA after you.

skins111111
04-15-2005, 11:56 AM
To maintain some kind of continuity, I'd keep the burgundy and gold colors and I'd use a spear, similar to the one you see Sonny wearing in my avatar. A spear is not an Amerindian sign of war, it's a universal sign of war. The spear is a weapon that was or is common to virtual all societies on the planet. I think the deep burgundy helmet with a gold spear looks fantastic. We could lose the feather if that helps disassociate the logo from Amerindians, although many other cultures attached feathers to spears--some Africans, Germans, etc.

that would just be sad...............if anyone asked to remove the feather....
I suppose some people will whine about almost anything :rolleyes:

Redblood
04-15-2005, 12:49 PM

Your idea is fantastic! I'm getting a vision.........................., it's a little blurred, so bear with me................................................ .. reception is fuzzy............................................. .................. a b o l d l o o k i n g A f r i c a n /G e r m a n f u t u r i s t i c w a r r i o r w i t h f e a t h e r s! P i c t u r e s t a r t i n g t o f a d e ................... o f ........................... P r e d a t o r, t h e m o v i e c h a r a c t e r, o n l y m o r e h u m a n, w i t h d e c i d e d l y B u r g a n d y a n d G o l d f e a t u r e d s t a r - r o c k e t s ! Sorry! Lost the picture.........

Patrick
04-15-2005, 01:23 PM
How about Washington Renegades
Keep the team colors, spear on the helmet, and keep the R on the ball caps or jacket patch.

The term Renegade can apply to all groups of people regardless .

redwolf1218
04-15-2005, 02:18 PM
the best idea so far has got to be the potato.

Brokenstriker
04-15-2005, 03:15 PM
Capitals

why not? nobody else is using it

thecheat48
04-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Capitals

why not? nobody else is using it

best idea so far.

i miss hockey games though.

theskins89
04-15-2005, 08:45 PM
The Skinreds.

I like how you think. No offense to anyone here that might be Native American or know someone that is, but this is ludacrous. Please just leave it alone.