PDA

View Full Version : If You Trash Joe Gibbs, You Probably Also Would Burn The American Flag.

warpaint
04-26-2005, 09:33 AM
being a Vietnam vet. two things that have always bothered me, (1) anyone that would burn the American flag in protest,(2) anyone that has a lot of negative things to say about our h.o.f coach. Joe Gibbs didn't come back here for the money, he came back solely for the purpose of making us winners again, much like the rest of us,he was tired of us losing, righting the ship was his and is intent. he didn't have to come back here, Atlanta would have loved to had him. I know I don't and I doubt seriously if any here have the work ethics that Joe Gibbs does. he has and does spend many nights there at redskins park. if Joe Gibbs was a one man show, then maybe one could think with the years off,maybe he has lost something, but coaching isn't a one man operation, the head coach has his asst there to help with all matters. I have heard Gibbs say all many occasions how all of them get together to discuss certain things . I don't know if our coaching staff is the best in football but in regards to experience I think our staff has the most total years. I know everyone including myself is high on Williams and thinks of him as our next head coach, I have to think that with all decisions we make he has a big input with Joe Gibbs ( Sean Taylor, Carlos Rodgers) Williams and bugel are both x head coaches.

with the staff we have there is no doubt in my mind that in time we will be back in the super bowl . this is a free country and we have a right of freedom of speech, all can post whatever they want here, but if it is something negative about Joe Gibbs I will not read it. below is a listing of our coaching staff. I think it is a great one.

Name Title
Joe Gibbs Head Coach/Team President
Joe Bugel Asst. HC - Offense
Gregg Williams Asst. HC - Defense
Don Breaux Off. Coordinator
Jack Burns Offensive Assistant
Ernie Zampese Off. Consultant
Rennie Simmons Tight Ends Coach
Earnest Byner Running Backs Coach
Stan Hixon Wide Receivers Coach
Bill Musgrave Offensive Asst./Quarterbacks Coach
Coy Gibbs Quality Control - Off.
Bill Lazor Off. Assistant
Greg Blache Def. Coord./Def. Line
Dale Lindsey Linbackers Coach
DeWayne Walker Secondary/Cornerbacks
Steve Jackson Safeties/Third Downs
Danny Smith Special Teams
Kirk Olivadotti Quality Control - Def./Spec. Teams Asst.
John Dunn Head Strength/Conditioning
John Hastings Strength/Conditioning
Bobby Crumpler Strength/Conditioning

frenchskinsfan
04-26-2005, 10:10 AM
100 % agreed !!
:goodpost:

bgforever
04-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Yep, I agree.

Vonslydog
04-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Uh, yeah. Disagreeing with a football coach and hating your country are the same thing. Right...

Skinsguy1
04-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Yea I'm sorry, i think comparing war protests to criticizing Joe Gibbs is very far fetched to say the least. Football and war don't go hand in hand. Just ask Kellen Winslow.

RoanokeSkin
04-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Sorry, but the whole premise of this post is insane.
Football = Game.
War = Serious Situation.

I love the Skins and I am a big fan of Coach Gibbs, but he is open to critcism. Not supporting our troops, not an option as far as I am concerned.

Hopefully the mods close this one and move it to off topic. This has nothing to do with football.

SkinsASchamps
04-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Sorry, but the whole premise of this post is insane.
Football = Game.
War = Serious Situation.

I love the Skins and I am a big fan of Coach Gibbs, but he is open to critcism. Not supporting our troops, not an option as far as I am concerned.

Hopefully the mods close this one and move it to off topic. This has nothing to do with football.

Agreed

Ibleedburgundy
04-26-2005, 10:55 AM
While the comparison is dratsic, his philosophy is consistent, you guys have to give him that!

I'm with you! I can't stand it when those bums on 980 rip Joe Gibbs as if they are worthy of judging him or his actions. Props to the callers that call in to tell them thay are a bunch puny nobodys and have-nots. Joe Gibbs is the greatest coach ever in the NFL. HAIL TO THE REDKINS! HAIL TO JOE GIBBS!

LATrueRedskin
04-26-2005, 10:56 AM
Have to agree here. I don't like people who don't like Joe Gibbs, but this comparison is completely uncalled for.

bgforever
04-26-2005, 11:00 AM
While the comparison is dratsic, his philosophy is consistent, you guys have to give him that!

I'm with you! I can't stand it when those bums on 980 rip Joe Gibbs as if they are worthy of judging him or his actions. Props to the callers that call in to tell them thay are a bunch puny nobodys and have-nots. Joe Gibbs is the greatest coach ever in the NFL. HAIL TO THE REDKINS! HAIL TO JOE GIBBS!

that's what I was agreeing on , that cutting on JG, though its bound to happen in the Not For Long (NFL) and fans alike, isn't as deserving as say a Norval. It's been that long since we had a coach that not only remained for 2 seasons, but cleaned house and reset the bricks, THE WAY he did. Here I go again, but not since JG I, has someone sternly took the bull by the horns, reestablished respect for the Redskins, and at least has the FO focusing on their job, not getting duped by the name bug. I prefer to critique during the season. Everything else, if you aren't a player, coach or personnel who's at Redskins' Park, TC, minis, etc, is just speculation for the most part.

It can mislead you.

How many of you follow treams throughout the spring training in college beginning to end, across the nation, also follow their HS drafts, signings??? Then hopefully you see, its what's on the field during the season.

AP wasn't =the starter on roster in FEB 2004. Neither was Brown at OG, or Wilson at OT.

Spence
04-26-2005, 11:10 AM
Weirdest post of the day. At least since the draft.

Patrick
04-26-2005, 11:54 AM
:confused:

funnyperson1
04-26-2005, 12:04 PM
If you like cheese, you would eat babies.

skins111111
04-26-2005, 12:09 PM
I hear ya...............as a true fan.........I take it to heart when some posers start trashing Gibbs and the Skins...........but I must remember some of them think that football is just a game and that the Skins are just a team........
not my opinion
"IN GIBBS WE TRUST"......................if everyone in the word had half the honor and entegrity that Gibbs has the world would be a much better place.

Dept_of_Defense
04-26-2005, 12:11 PM
This is so true. Thanks for reminding me. So often, I forget that there are actually some players and coaches out there that just love the game. Pro sports has turned into a bunch of money guzzling, ego maniacs. Joe Gibbs, along with a select others, are just here because they love the game. Good thread. All of a sudden, I'm not so mad about our draft picks.
________
Uggs (http://uggstoreshop.com/)

BigCountry
04-26-2005, 12:20 PM
If you feel that way it's fine, but please don't dictate what other people's opinion says about them. What if there's another war vet out there who said Gibbs isn't doing a good job, would he burn the flag too?

Kanman21
04-26-2005, 12:25 PM
I agree with the philosiphy, do not bash our coach. He knows more about football than any of us. Period. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 bucks.

Noerlingm
04-26-2005, 12:45 PM
100 % agreed !!
:goodpost:

I'm on board with this..........I don't know what I missed this weekend, but I guess everyone did not agree on our draft picks. I liked hearing everyones option on the draft and I wanted to give credit to all those who made the call on the 25th pick (Cambell). I did not think they would pick him,and I was wrrrrrrong! There is no reason to go crazy, I still trust Joe Gibbs and our staff even if I don't agree. It's there job....this is what they do.. :lol1:

Skinzaholic
04-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Just when I thought I had seen it all....

inevitable
04-26-2005, 12:56 PM
The American flag is a symbol, encompassing over 200 years of rich history. Joe Gibbs is a person, prone to mistakes and mishaps, just like anyone else. He is not a diety. He is not a God or anything else. To put Gibbs on a pedastal is a horrible mistake. He has to answer tough questions about his decisions just like any other job in the country. You look at FDR, one of the most popular presidents in American history. He still had to answer questions during his 3rd term and so on.

SO, despite Gibbs having proven himself before, just as a president taking another oath of office, that person has to prove themselves during their second term as well. Gibbs isn't going to get a pass from the media, who genuinely don't care about how the Redskins, he certainly should not get a pass from the fans, who deserve to understand the decisions the coach makes, like it or not. Whether we like his decisions is inconsequential, but he does have the responsibility, as the figure head of this organization, to explain the decisions he makes after he makes them.

I reserve the right to express my opinion about Gibbs, but I wouldn't be caught dead burning an American flag.

But, I forgot, generalizations are the thigns to make these days.

WackyJacky
04-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Good one -- I literally laughed out loud!

BurgundyNGold
04-26-2005, 12:58 PM
You look at FDR, one of the most popular presidents in American history. He still had to answer questions during his 3rd term and so on.
Yeah, like "What gives you the right to diss 160 years of presidential tradition and respect for George Washington as run for a 3rd term?"

BurgundyNGold
04-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Too many people have died for that flag and the freedom and rights it represents. That's why I get so upset when folks don't mind just giving away their rights.

AKAIK, nobody has died for Gibbs.

whistleandthumb
04-26-2005, 01:11 PM
This thread has THE GREATEST title ever.

Brilliant.

Redskinfan28
04-26-2005, 02:03 PM

:lol1:

cmdlost29
04-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Burning the flag and bashing on Joe Gibbs are worlds apart but they are both freedoms of expression.

If you think it's wrong to speak out against the people in charge, then you would probably also believe that it was wrong for the United States to exist at all since we should have shut up and listened to Britain in the first place.

Our country, for the better or worse, allows for people to say dumb stupid things like this guy did "If you disagree with Gibbs, you burn the American flag", but it's what makes the USA the best country in the world. It's all about FREEDOM.

So I'll reserve the right to judge and voice my concerns about my teams coach, my boss, my president and at the same time listen to ignorant bastards say "I burn the flag" because I'm an American. I will speak up when I see wrongs done (THIS DRAFT SUCKED) and laugh when I see other people compare it to burning the flag. Maybe next time he will say "If you bash Gibbs you probably molest children" or some other bs and the owner of the forum will look the other way, only time will tell what happens next.

But sir my point is you have the freedom to say these things although any reasonable man or woman knows you’re full of it.

hail2skins
04-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Quit the political discussion. This is the Cherokee not the Potomac.

Agrawog
04-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Wow, where did you get the Kool Aid you drank today?

First of all there are serious 1st ammendment questions when it comes to flag burning. And please, don't give me any crap about supporting our troops means supporting all U.S. war and their political faces. Protest the war if you want in any way protected by the U.S. Consitution - bothers me not.

Second, Joe Gibbs may have come here for the money. How do you know? It is an awful lot of money after all. I don't know - the guy seems pretty good to me but he is an NFL President and coach. He will and should be criticized when he makes mistakes.

I think you have been properly scolded on comparing football to war. Let's just focus on this worship you have for a man you HAVE NEVER MET! Have you not seen enough "good" men and women show themselves to be cheats, liars, and worse to understand that you should never have that kind of an emotional connection with a complete stranger? You don't know what he is like behind closed doors nor should you bother. He coaches our team and that is it. He has no real effect on your life (other than some transitional happiness/sadness every fall) and that is the way you should keep it.

IN short - Lighten up Francis.

RedskinsDave
04-26-2005, 05:25 PM
What the? Is is this post like an Onion article?

fourthandinches
04-26-2005, 05:30 PM
lol. greatest thread title ever. i thought he was joking.

Axegrinder
04-26-2005, 05:32 PM
I walk to a beat of a different drummer and I won't have my opinions dictated to and set up by someone elses standards.
If you like the way things are going...great,I don't and I won't be satisfied until we start winning.
No Soup Today!
What's next,all those who criticize are devil worshippers? :devil2:

Ibleedburgundy
04-26-2005, 05:39 PM
Wow, where did you get the Kool Aid you drank today?

First of all there are serious 1st ammendment questions when it comes to flag burning. And please, don't give me any crap about supporting our troops means supporting all U.S. war and their political faces. Protest the war if you want in any way protected by the U.S. Consitution - bothers me not.

Second, Joe Gibbs may have come here for the money. How do you know? It is an awful lot of money after all. I don't know - the guy seems pretty good to me but he is an NFL President and coach. He will and should be criticized when he makes mistakes.

I think you have been properly scolded on comparing football to war. Let's just focus on this worship you have for a man you HAVE NEVER MET! Have you not seen enough "good" men and women show themselves to be cheats, liars, and worse to understand that you should never have that kind of an emotional connection with a complete stranger? You don't know what he is like behind closed doors nor should you bother. He coaches our team and that is it. He has no real effect on your life (other than some transitional happiness/sadness every fall) and that is the way you should keep it.

IN short - Lighten up Francis.

Maybe I'm misreading your post. Did you just assert that Joe Gibbs may have come back for the money? He did not, I assure you.

I don't agree with those of you who say we need to question Gibbs just like we need to question our Government. There is no point, it will get you nowhere, it does not make the Redskins any better, and hall of fame coaches don't base their decisions on what fans think. THE REDSKINS ARE NOT A DEMOCRACY.

Questioning the Government, however, IS productive.

That said, all you nay-sayers are going to have your feet thoroughly in your mouth next year when Coach Gibbs takes us to the playoffs. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Axegrinder
04-26-2005, 05:46 PM
That said, all you nay-sayers are going to have your feet thoroughly in your mouth next year when Coach Gibbs takes us to the playoffs. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!
What about this year?
If we're not playoff bound this year,why would that be?

C-7
04-26-2005, 06:33 PM
I agree with a lot of what you said. But I think the name of the thread is simply ridiculous to say the least.

ImmortalDragon
04-26-2005, 06:35 PM
WALL OF TEXT
summery plz

skins74
04-26-2005, 07:05 PM
I don't trash him but I am starting to doubt him.

flave1969
04-27-2005, 03:00 AM
I don't trash him but I am starting to doubt him.

This is the whole point. It is OK to have doubts. Hell I had a lot of them last year. I have reservations this year. But the name calling that Gibbs suffered here on Saturday is completely uncalled for. Gibbs works very hard for this team and is very fan friendly. He simply is not deserving of the ridicule and vitriol and name calling he got during the draft.

As for the analogy in the first post. It is a very bad one. Football is a GAME, War is Serious. Burning the flag and trashing Joe Gibbs are not the same thing.

Joe will always be a Redskins icon, but he should not be elevated too God status.

Jimreaper007
04-27-2005, 05:30 AM
WOW....

I love Gibbs and I will support him, but I have not agreed with every decision he made even in Gibbs part 1. I tought the Brunell idea was a bad one from the jump that only set Patrick back in his development.

I am not happy with all the decisions Gibbs has made, but I still do support him. The title of this thread is quite interesting to say the least but I can understand the emotion behind it given peoples draft day disappointment.

Gibbs did the right thing...

Kope65
04-27-2005, 06:19 AM
"Oranges are round!" said the man, " and as you can see apples have a stem"

bwparker
04-27-2005, 08:27 AM
If You Trash Joe Gibbs, You Probably Also Would Burn The American Flag.

...You'd probably also pee on the Bible and take a dump on the Torah. You sick so of a **Spencored**. LOL...that has nothing to do with the post I just thought it was a funny bit to add :Peace:

PennSkinsFan
04-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Just when I thought I had seen it all....

Day to day here, believe me, it will amaze you

Redskinfan28
04-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Maybe I'm misreading your post. Did you just assert that Joe Gibbs may have come back for the money? He did not, I assure you.

What about those who say that Gibbs only came back because his son wanted to get into coaching and Gibbs wanted to get him started in the NFL? To me, would be more concerning than the money issue.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. Joe is coaching the Redskins and I hope he leads us to the playoffs next year.

Agrawog
04-27-2005, 01:26 PM

Assure me, how exactly? Can you refer to the conversation you had with him regarding this issue?

Look I did not say he came back for the money (nor would I care frankly - I am just happy to have him back) my point was that people should STOP making assumptions about the motivations, behaviors, and core beliefs of complete strangers. That is what Joe Gibbs is to us - we only see his public persona. Think about your own life. Do people who see you at a restaurant get the same experience as those who see you at home at 11 PM?

I think it is unhealthy to get so worked up about an individual as the thread starter did. It is based on our society's rather sick custom of investing our public figures with a strong emotional investment and tie. Then when they disappoint there is universal loathing for a while.

Let the man coach, criticize him if you want but don't make assumptions about his motivations or behaviors - it only makes you look dumb. (Unless, of course, you have conversations with him and can back up your statement).

JoeDaSchmoe
04-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Wow, I really am wondering what the value of leaving this thread open is....

KMDeMuth
04-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Assure me, how exactly? Can you refer to the conversation you had with him regarding this issue?

Look I did not say he came back for the money (nor would I care frankly - I am just happy to have him back) my point was that people should STOP making assumptions about the motivations, behaviors, and core beliefs of complete strangers. That is what Joe Gibbs is to us - we only see his public persona. Think about your own life. Do people who see you at a restaurant get the same experience as those who see you at home at 11 PM?

I think it is unhealthy to get so worked up about an individual as the thread starter did. It is based on our society's rather sick custom of investing our public figures with a strong emotional investment and tie. Then when they disappoint there is universal loathing for a while.

Let the man coach, criticize him if you want but don't make assumptions about his motivations or behaviors - it only makes you look dumb. (Unless, of course, you have conversations with him and can back up your statement).

well the assumptoins of his coming back to coach are fairly easy to figure out. He has a succesfull Nascar race team and has won 2 titles in the winston/nextel cup series. So i would truely question his coming back for money without the need for it and from the money previously earned. He wouldnt come back when snyder asked him last, and he brought in spurrier. he didnt accept the offer to coach the falcons, but took the offer for a small lvl of ownership (which he had to sell to come back to coach here).

It would be easy to assume (which i dont like doing...if you know the acronym) that he came back to fix something he help build that went through multiple coaches without success. I would go so far as to say the main selling point wasnt money, but the title of GM to make sure snyder wouldnt get involved with football operations.

If i helped build a business and turned it over to someone who after so many years and different management started to go downhill. I for one, would come back to ensure my hard work was worth while. A legacy if nothing else, he is geting old if no one has noticed.

I think in the end its a question of integrity. I dont question his motives or his coaching, he is proven in both. Feel free to question his General Managing ability, thats only been proven in nascar not football. Dont count out his ability to lead or coach though...he has proven it in 2 sports now.

and to the comparison to flag burning, c'mon. A little far fetched maybe? I agree with most of the posts, but not the comparison of a sport and the government/bill of rights/right to "peaceful protest".

It would be just easier to say if you burn the flag, you destroy what the country stands for...and then i would say you are not american. But has nothing to do with football.

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. -Voltaire :)

bgforever
04-27-2005, 02:56 PM
WOW....

I love Gibbs and I will support him, but I have not agreed with every decision he made even in Gibbs part 1. I tought the Brunell idea was a bad one from the jump that only set Patrick back in his development.

I am not happy with all the decisions Gibbs has made, but I still do support him. The title of this thread is quite interesting to say the least but I can understand the emotion behind it given peoples draft day disappointment.

Gibbs did the right thing...

You really gotta' check your gray matter in the brain, if you think that every move Gibbs has made, has been correct or even good. He even acknowledges that, but should he be villianized for not being the saviour of those who want instant gratification. We can make friendly wagers, predictions on the team, but realistically, you still have to keep your football wits about you. This is the NFL, not Wall Street! (for the metamorphically challenged, it means, we aren't going to get necessary gains every time we hit a good transaction).