PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about this?

RedskinsDave
05-17-2005, 10:36 AM
My gf has a project for grad school (forensic psych) and the professor has cited a case in PG that I cannot find anything on. Here is the exerpt from her question:

There has recently been quite a bit of publicity surrounding three youth who are being tried for manslaughter in criminal court in Prince Georges County. Two of the young men are 16 years old, and one is 15. These three were alleged to be part of a group of males that had attacked another youth outside a 7-11 in Greenbelt, MD, after words were exchanged about a female the victim was with. The youth who was attacked managed to escape, but died. Four youth have been arrested thus far, but others are thought to have been involved.

Can anyone help me find some info on this?

Spence
05-17-2005, 10:59 AM
I can probably find newspaper articles about it. Do you have a time frame for when the crime was committed? That'll help me narrow my search.

And when are you going to tell this poor girl she can do much better???

Spence
05-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Never mind, I think I've found the story. Here it is, in its entirety:Metro

Youth Indicted in Md. Death; Beaten Student, Left in Suitland Road, Was Run Over

Ruben Castaneda
Washington Post Staff Writer
573 words
11 June 2004
The Washington Post
FINAL
B04
English
Copyright 2004, The Washington Post Co. All Rights Reserved

A Prince George's County grand jury yesterday indicted a Suitland youth on murder and other charges in connection with an attack in which a high school student was beaten outside a 7-Eleven and left incapacitated on a busy roadway, where he was run over by two motorists and killed.

Emmanuel A. McClain, 16, was indicted on charges of murder, robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery and common law riot. McClain is charged with the early morning attack May 30 that led to the death of Michael A. Bassett, 18.

According to police and prosecutors, Bassett's offer to buy a girl a Slurpee outside the 7-Eleven in Suitland enraged McClain. He hit Bassett and, with as many as seven other youths, chased the victim into the 5200 block of Silver Hill Road.

The beginning of the attack was captured by 7-Eleven surveillance cameras.

Two friends who were with Bassett escaped unharmed. Someone fired shots, apparently at Bassett, but missed, officials said. Bassett was beaten, kicked and left on the busy roadway, police and prosecutors allege. Two motorists ran over Bassett, authorities said. The motorists stopped and called authorities, and there is no indication that they meant to hit Bassett, officials said.

McClain was arrested June 2 and charged as an adult. A second suspect, James Jarrell White, 18, of Southeast Washington also has been charged with murder. Like McClain, he is being held without bond.

Ivey said prosecutors have had discussions with a lawyer representing a third possible suspect. "We haven't decided what to do with that case," Ivey said.

Initially, police said they could not say whether Bassett was beaten to death or killed by the vehicles that ran over him.

Yesterday, police said the state medical examiner's office has determined that Bassett's death was caused by multiple injuries from being run over.

"We were certainly pleased the grand jury came back with the murder indictment," said State's Attorney Glenn F. Ivey. "Certainly, this was just a tragic killing. Our heart goes out to Mr. Bassett's friends and family."

McClain's attorney, Antoini M. Jones, said police and prosecutors are "rushing to judgment."

"My client had a minor role," Jones said. "They have the wrong person."

Jones said he believes McClain, who turned 16 a few days after the assault, should be tried in juvenile court.

McClain was indicted under the general murder statute, which includes first- and second-degree murder, felony murder (a slaying committed during the commission of another crime) and manslaughter charges.

If the case goes to trial, prosecutors can present evidence to try to support one or more of the specific charges, legal experts said.

For example, prosecutors could try to prove that Bassett was killed during a robbery, which could be felony murder. The trial judge would determine whether prosecutors have presented sufficient evidence for the jury to consider a specific charge, legal experts said.

Prosecutors could also argue that beating someone and leaving him incapacitated on a dark street is murder, said Robert C. Bonsib, a Greenbelt defense lawyer and former deputy state's attorney in Prince George's.

"If you put an unconscious person on a train track and the train runs him over and kills him, that's murder," Bonsib said.

Spence
05-17-2005, 11:03 AM
UPDATES:Metro

Mistrial Ruled in Case Of Death Over Slurpee [CORRECTED 22 DEC 2004]

Ruben Castaneda
Washington Post Staff Writer
614 words
14 December 2004
The Washington Post
FINAL
B02
English
Copyright 2004, The Washington Post Co. All Rights Reserved

PUBLISHED CORRECTIONS: A Dec. 14 Metro article about a murder trial stemming from a killing outside a 7-Eleven store in Prince George's County misstated the location of the store. It is on Silver Hill Road, not Suitland Road, in Suitland. (Published 12/15/04)

A Prince George's County judge yesterday declared a mistrial in the case of a Suitland youth charged with murder in what prosecutors called the "thrill" killing of a teenager who allegedly angered the defendant by offering to buy a girl a Slurpee at a 7-Eleven store.

After deliberating for more than 15 hours over three days, the Circuit Court jury was unable to reach verdicts on five of seven counts against Emmanuel A. McClain, 16.

McClain was charged as an adult with first-degree felony murder, second-degree murder, involuntary manslaughter, robbery and three related charges in the May 30 attack that left Michael A. Bassett, 18, dead on a busy Suitland road.

Friday afternoon, the jury announced that it had reached verdicts on two counts -- involuntary manslaughter and a riot charge. Judge Sherry L. Krauser directed the jury to continue deliberating.

Yesterday, in response to a question from Krauser, the jury said it still had reached verdicts on only two of the counts. Assistant State's Attorney John Maloney was willing to accept the partial verdicts, but defense attorney Antoini M. Jones declined. In Maryland, both sides have to agree for a judge to accept a partial verdict. All the charges will go before a new jury at a new trial, tentatively scheduled for March 21.

After Krauser declared the mistrial, Jones and Maloney said they learned from talking to jurors that the panel's position had shifted.

Friday, the jury had voted McClain guilty of involuntary manslaughter and the riot charge, the attorneys said. Yesterday, one juror changed his mind and voted McClain not guilty of involuntary manslaughter, the attorneys said. Also yesterday, the jury voted unanimously to find McClain not guilty of first-degree felony murder, the attorneys said.

The jury ended up deadlocked, 11 to 1, for conviction on second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter, Jones and Maloney said.

State's Attorney Glenn F. Ivey said prosecutors will retry McClain. "We're ready to go forward. I'm looking forward to obtaining a guilty verdict," Ivey said.

"This is a very difficult case, emotionally and factually," Jones said. "I can understand a jury having difficulty with it."

Two other teenagers are also charged with murdering McClain. James Jarrell White, of Southeast Washington, who was 18 at the time of his arrest in June, and Antoine Queen, now 16, of Prince George's, will be tried after McClain, officials said.

According to evidence presented at trial, as Bassett walked into a 7-Eleven on Suitland Road sometime after 3 a.m. May 30, he offered to buy a girl a Slurpee. The girl accepted and walked into the store with Bassett.

Queen testified for the state that he was outside the store with McClain and heard McClain say words to the effect of, "Watch me start something." When Bassett tried to leave, McClain blocked the store exit and took a roundhouse swing at him, Maloney said. A series of photos from a store security camera depict McClain taking the swing, Maloney said.

Queen testified that McClain chased Bassett onto Suitland Road and stomped and kicked him. Bassett was left on the busy street, and two motorists ran him over. Maloney argued that Bassett was dead before the cars hit him.

RedskinsDave
05-17-2005, 11:10 AM
I can probably find newspaper articles about it. Do you have a time frame for when the crime was committed? That'll help me narrow my search.

And when are you going to tell this poor girl she can do much better???

Thanks Tom. Actually she knows. Check her degree field....I'm a case study.

CarMike
05-17-2005, 11:11 AM
All of this over a stupid slurpee?

Yikes.