PDA

View Full Version : Redskin.com interview w/ Portis

aprius
05-19-2005, 03:02 PM
http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=3122

I thought this was great to hear.
Makes you a bit more positive about next year.

What do you think?

ph33rtheD
05-19-2005, 03:08 PM
thats very incouraging but i dont think any player would bash their own team

Redskinfan28
05-19-2005, 03:08 PM
http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=3122

I thought this was great to hear.
Makes you a bit more positive about next year.

What do you think?

I wouldn't expect him to say anything different. I would be distraught if he said that he thought our O would suck next year and had no hope of improvement.

redwolf1218
05-19-2005, 03:09 PM
that was a good read. see the guys he mentioned when asked who stood out on offense so far?

Q: When you look at the offense during practice at OTAs, which players stand out to you?
A: "I think (Chris) Cooley is going to be a big part of this game plan. You have Santana Moss and David Patten. You have Robert Royal coming on strong. You have a lot of weapons. Hopefully, Taylor Jacobs is going to explode onto the scene like everyone knows he can and become the player that they thought he was when they drafted him. We have a lot of weapons that people have not seen and we are waiting to show them."

The Skinsinator
05-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Very very good read. I love Clintons constant positive attitude. From his comments it is easy to see this guy is a winner and expects nothing less. I especially like his comments on Jacobs. If he does explode as Clinton predicts our receiving corps will be very good. I cant wait.

redwolf1218
05-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Very very good read. I love Clintons constant positive attitude. From his comments it is easy to see this guy is a winner and expects nothing less. I especially like his comments on Jacobs. If he does explode as Clinton predicts our receiving corps will be very good. I cant wait.
it seems like everyone always has something good to say about Jacobs.

smoak
05-19-2005, 03:21 PM
I love hearing this!!!

Q: When you look at the offense during practice at OTAs, which players stand out to you?
A: "I think (Chris) Cooley is going to be a big part of this game plan. You have Santana Moss and David Patten. You have Robert Royal coming on strong. You have a lot of weapons. Hopefully, Taylor Jacobs is going to explode onto the scene like everyone knows he can and become the player that they thought he was when they drafted him. We have a lot of weapons that people have not seen and we are waiting to show them."

redwolf1218
05-19-2005, 03:24 PM
I love hearing this!!!
dude is there a thread anywhere congratulating you on reaching 7000? if not, let me be the first....Congrats to a favorite!

BurgundyNGold
05-19-2005, 03:32 PM
I like to see how he's taking a leadership role with this team. It's great when you see your 4th year RB doing that.

Oh and one more thing:

Q: Do you expect to see more stretch running plays in the ground game this year?
A: "You know, coach just made a point where we averaged five yards a carry on a stretch play last year. If I had known that, that would have been the only call we would have been making in the games. I think we are changing a lot of things up. We are going to get this right. We are tweaking things."
Well, which is it? Considering how awful our offense was last year, I hope its the former and not the latter.

LadyNRedskinsfan
05-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Q: Do you think the team will be better with all of the additions?
A: "It is not just the addition of guys like Santana Moss and David Patten and Casey Rabach. Last year, I think you had a whole team trying to learn a new system. Week in and week out, we were changing our system and we didn't know what to expect. This year we have more guys comfortable with the system and more guys who know the system. Last year, we had a lot of penalties. We had a lot of off-sides that could have been prevented. They were more of thinking penalties. This year, we will be able to go out and just play, which will make us a better team."
this is exactly what im banking on......

IVSkinsFan
05-19-2005, 03:36 PM
CP is the man. I see him being the leading rusher in the league this year running more strech plays. Apparently he likes what he sees in the upcoming passing game.

Skinzaholic
05-19-2005, 03:37 PM
A: "You know, coach just made a point where we averaged five yards a carry on a stretch play last year. If I had known that, that would have been the only call we would have been making in the games.

This is a strange statement... makes one wonder how much sway ole Clinton has on this team.

The Skinsinator
05-19-2005, 03:41 PM
This is a strange statement... makes one wonder how much sway ole Clinton has on this team.

It is interesting. Although not a coach its difficult to believe there is a more influential Skin.

IVSkinsFan
05-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Maybe thats what coach had said to him.

GreenspanDan
05-19-2005, 04:03 PM

yeah i was gonna say, when did CP get promoted to offensive coordinator? i missed the press conference!

AGibbsGirl
05-19-2005, 04:07 PM

Help me out here Kevin because I didn't understand what he was talking about here....

: Do you expect to see more stretch running plays in the ground game this year?
A: "You know, coach just made a point where we averaged five yards a carry on a stretch play last year. If I had known that, that would have been the only call we would have been making in the games. I think we are changing a lot of things up. We are going to get this right. We are tweaking things."

silverspring
05-19-2005, 04:42 PM
that was a good read. see the guys he mentioned when asked who stood out on offense so far?

Yeah I am excited to hear Royal was mentioned. We didn't pick up a tight end like everyone was hoping, so I think this is a great opportunity for Royal to really make is mark as an above average player. So lets hope Royal steps it up, improves his blocking and becomes more than just a goal line target.

ConradCountry
05-19-2005, 04:47 PM
I agree with him our team is full of young explosive guys that will have make or break saesons for us,

Guys like Taylor Jacobs, Robert Royal and Chris Cooley are who we need to step up if we are going to win.

3Taylor6
05-19-2005, 05:42 PM
yeah i was gonna say, when did CP get promoted to offensive coordinator? i missed the press conference!

does anyone remember last year it was either during a game or on the website when gibbs was saying how CP would run off the field to him and tell him run this and run that and gibbs said he would do it and he wasnt talking about that in a bad way gibbs liked that intensity that clinton played with maybe thats what he was talking about

The Skinsinator
05-19-2005, 06:02 PM
does anyone remember last year it was either during a game or on the website when gibbs was saying how CP would run off the field to him and tell him run this and run that and gibbs said he would do it and he wasnt talking about that in a bad way gibbs liked that intensity that clinton played with maybe thats what he was talking about

Its just the way he is. He knows nothing but winning and offensive success. Certain plays have worked for him before and he wants to do it again. I think Gibbs job is secure though.

darksome
05-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Good CP run, but I agree with other people - what was he supposed to say?

In a related development, Iffy was seen drawing mustaches on all CP posters in the clubhouse. No word on the "why" of this strange phenomenon!

More news at 11...

redwolf1218
05-19-2005, 08:29 PM
Royal has battled some injuries, like that hip thing, and he's developed slowly, so he might be ready to break out. I get the feeling Gibbs loves Portis's personality, much like he loved Gary Clark. They are up-beat guys, always smiling, but highly competetive and full of fire.

BandWagon
05-19-2005, 08:57 PM

And what's more interesting is why he was surprised...you figure the guy would know what plays sprung him for 5, 10, 15 etc. It's pretty obvious what game those were. Regardless, while acknowledging that a player is really only going to say positive things, there's a couple encouraging things to take from this. First, he clearly understands what was wrong last year and believes the issues are being addressed and I love what he's saying about Cooley. For as good a year as he had last year, I think we may really see what this guy has this year. I'm excited.

redwolf1218
05-19-2005, 09:11 PM
And what's more interesting is why he was surprised...you figure the guy would know what plays sprung him for 5, 10, 15 etc. It's pretty obvious what game those were. Regardless, while acknowledging that a player is really only going to say positive things, there's a couple encouraging things to take from this. First, he clearly understands what was wrong last year and believes the issues are being addressed and I love what he's saying about Cooley. For as good a year as he had last year, I think we may really see what this guy has this year. I'm excited.
i really cannot underestimate the importance of Clinton's positive attitude. coming from Miami and Denver, after the success he had in those programs, for him to display a hopeful and positive attitude is encouraging. if anyone had a reason to voice some concerns, or even to be outright critical of his new situation, he would be justified under the circumstances, yet he says all the right things and always takes the high road.

redskinz#1fan
05-19-2005, 10:55 PM
thats very incouraging but i dont think any player would bash their own team

Really? Go ask T.O what he thinks about Philly, The SuperBowl & McNabb. I bet his answer wouldn't be too encouraging! :devil2:

aprius
05-20-2005, 12:58 AM
Portis' attitude, brains and presence in the locker room, on the field and in interviews/public are what Gibbs loves. I would bet he becomes captain of the offense, eventually. I think he is probably a go-between for Gibbs and Taylor and Gibbs is probably very grateful for that. He probably only knows second hand from CP what is going on with ST.

ChiefPowhatan17
05-20-2005, 07:36 AM
Portis seems to step up as the leader and continue to look to the good. He knows we had close games that slipped away, but he knows that now they've got to straight up win tight games..
The positive vibe is brewing at Redskins Park... :banger:

redwolf1218
05-20-2005, 07:43 AM
"I think it is going to be real exciting this year. Last year, we endured a 6-10 season--that was my first losing season ever. It was rough but you have to be down to come back up. I think last year we had enough close games where we could have easily been 13-3 or 12-4, but it didn't go our way. A lot of things did not go our way."

I'll settle for 13-3 :rolleyes:
All we have to do is win the close ones we lost last year.

JoeJacksonTaylor28
05-20-2005, 12:19 PM
"I think it is going to be real exciting this year. Last year, we endured a 6-10 season--that was my first losing season ever. It was rough but you have to be down to come back up. I think last year we had enough close games where we could have easily been 13-3 or 12-4, but it didn't go our way. A lot of things did not go our way."

I'll settle for 13-3 :rolleyes:
All we have to do is win the close ones we lost last year.
If everything happens like it's supposed to happen (better understanding of the offense/defense, adjustments from the CS, one more year under Ramsey's belt, ocasional zone blocking for Portis, returns from injuries, etc.) I would be very surprised if we don't win at least 11 games.

redwolf1218
05-20-2005, 12:30 PM
If everything happens like it's supposed to happen (better understanding of the offense/defense, adjustments from the CS, one more year under Ramsey's belt, ocasional zone blocking for Portis, returns from injuries, etc.) I would be very surprised if we don't win at least 11 games.
also, if the refs dont rob us. dude you just hit 4000! congrats!

JoeJacksonTaylor28
05-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Yeah, but I kind of know that will happen no matter what, so we just have to fight against it.

Thanks!!! Finally!!!

whitskins
05-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Portis is right, we have a lot of potential weapons that the league doesn't really know about yet, we can surprise a lot of people this year. NFL "experts" should not underestimate this coaching staff's ability to adapt. Joe Gibbs has done it his entire career and he will do it again in 05. If our offense is merely average in the NFL rankings then we'll be a playoff team.

The Skinsinator
05-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Portis is right, we have a lot of potential weapons that the league doesn't really know about yet, we can surprise a lot of people this year. NFL "experts" should not underestimate this coaching staff's ability to adapt. Joe Gibbs has done it his entire career and he will do it again in 05. If our offense is merely average in the NFL rankings then we'll be a playoff team.

Not only has he been highly successful in the nfl for his entire career. The man has been successful at everything he does namely auto racing and even racquetball. His competiveness and work ethic are the ingredients for this.

aprius
05-20-2005, 01:43 PM

Congrats on 4000!!!

I think, if you blame a loss on refs you do so because you made errors that you dont want to admit to making. I remember one game last year that the refs I thought gave away and then I thought about it. If Ramsey had connected on just one of his long balls or this lineman was able to wrap up his man or if we had connected on that sack we would have won. There were too many ifs to say it was just the refs. It is always that way. No matter how perfect we think that we are, we still make mistakes and great professional players truly know that and they adjust. That is what makes Gibbs great....He is constantly adjusting.

JoeJacksonTaylor28
05-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Agree. Let's imagine for a moment what would happen if:
- Taylor Jacobs plays like a first rounder WR (what many people thought he was)
- Portis has a 1500 yards, 5+ YPC season (like he has done in the past)
- Ramsey breaks out and has a Brees-year
- The D improves after a season of learning the system (scary)
- The OL plays like the second season of the hogs under Bugel and Gibbs (SB XVII anybody?)
- We stay injury-free
- Gibbs learns and adjusts after his first season the last time around (again, SB XVII anybody?)

redwolf1218
05-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Congrats on 4000!!!

I think, if you blame a loss on refs you do so because you made errors that you dont want to admit to making.
that's true, i'd like to think we could get far enough ahead in the game so that the refs could not make a difference, but it's heartbreaking when it's close and a lousy call changes the outcome, and everyone in the place see is, and everyone watching on TV, and still they cant do anything about it.

anyway i think Portis will break more long ones this year. he only had the one really long one againt the Bucs last year, but the year before in Denver he had something like 8 times where he broke a 60+ yard carry. so if he averages 20 carries/game @ 3.5 yards/carry, that's 70 yards a game. in half of those games he breaks a 60 yarder, so he gets 130 yards in those games. 8 games w/ 70 + 8 games w/ 130 = 1600 yards, 5 yards/carry.

AGibbsGirl
05-20-2005, 04:07 PM
I liked that he said they were all learning a new system last year and were not comfortable on the field yet.
I said at the beginning of the season that I didn't think we'd do that well because Gibbs has such complicated systems, I'm glad to hear that they're feeling comfortable already

..year two baby...year two...

redwolf1218
05-20-2005, 06:57 PM
I liked that he said they were all learning a new system last year and were not comfortable on the field yet.
I said at the beginning of the season that I didn't think we'd do that well because Gibbs has such complicated systems, I'm glad to hear that they're feeling comfortable already

..year two baby...year two...
true, i got the feeling they were only able to get into a fraction of the playbook. add to that the fact that they were adjusting and evolving, and that just takes time. this year should be much different/better.

TerpSkins
05-21-2005, 12:17 AM

I concur dude!