PDA

View Full Version : GOP: We own this country. [Nats baseball angle]

Spence
06-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Three months into their inaugural season, the Washington Nationals are in first place. Attendance is strong, hopes are high, and the team is reportedly turning a tidy profit.

But to some Capitol Hill Republicans there is a dark cloud on the Nats' horizon: the potential that their newly adopted home team could be purchased by billionaire financier George Soros.

Earlier this month, Soros joined an ownership bid being led by entrepreneur Jonathan Ledecky. Their group is one of more than a half-dozen angling to take over the Nats, who are currently owned by Major League Baseball.

In addition to being a well-known currency speculator and philanthropist, Soros is also known in political circles for having pumped more than $20 million in the last cycle into groups seeking to unseat President Bush and elect Democrats.

While the Soros-Ledecky group is not seen as the frontrunner to win the bidding for the Nationals, who should be awarded to their new owner at the end of the 2005 season, the very prospect that Soros could have a stake in the team is enough to irritate Congressional Republicans.

"I think Major League Baseball understands the stakes," said Government Reform Chairman Tom Davis (R), the Northern Virginia lawmaker who recently convened high-profile steroid hearings. "I don't think they want to get involved in a political fight."

Davis, whose panel also oversees District of Columbia issues, said that if a Soros sale went through, "I don't think it's the Nats that get hurt. I think it's Major League Baseball that gets hurt. They enjoy all sorts of exemptions" from anti-trust laws.

Indeed, Hill Republicans could potentially make life difficult for MLB in a variety of ways. In addition to being exempt from anti-trust rules, baseball is still under scrutiny over the steroid issue. The Nats, meanwhile, hope to have a publicly-funded stadium built soon, though money for that venture is expected to come through the sale of bonds rather than a federal outlay.

Still, Rep. John Sweeney (R-N.Y.), vice chairman of the Appropriations subcommittee that covers the District of Columbia budget, said if Soros buys the team and seeks public funding for the new stadium or anything else, the GOP attitude would be, "Let him pay for it."

"We're not going to interfere with [the sale], but from a fan's perspective, who needs the politics?" Sweeney said.

Another senior Republican lawmaker who requested anonymity said that the league should be aware of the perception problem that might be associated with selling the Nats to Soros.

"Why would Major League Baseball want to get involved with George Soros?" said the lawmaker. "It's about more than just the sale price."SOURCE: Roll Call [subscription required]

So, it is not okay for a prominent Democrat to own a baseball team. It is however, for these prominent Republicans to own a baseball team:

-- Rupert Murdoch [owner of L.A. Dodgers until 2004]

-- William O. Dewitt, Jr. (http://www.tpj.org/pioneers/william_dewitt.html) [owns St. Louis Cardinals and raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for George W. Bush]

-- George Steinbrenner III [owner of NY Yankees, convicted of making illegal campaign contributions to Richard M. Nixon]

-- Carl Lindner [owner of Cincinnati Reds, raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for George W. Bush]

-- Tom Hicks (http://www.whitehouseforsale.org/ContributorsAndPaybacks/pioneer_profile.cfm?pioneer_ID=789) [owner of Texas Rangers, raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for George W. Bush]

-- Fred Malek [trying to buy Nationals, former Deputy Director of Richard Nixon's Committee to Re-Elect the President -- CREEP -- and documented to have compiled a list of Jews in the federal government on Nixon's request]

-- At least 13 baseball owners have raised more than $100,000 for George W. Bush

Okay, just so everyone knows the score:

Republican Baseball Owners = Good.
Democratic Baseball Owners = Bad.

This land is their land
This land is their land
So shut yer mouth up
And do as you're told

RedskinsDave
06-27-2005, 12:37 PM
It's not that he's a dem. It's that he's Soros. There are plenty of prominent democrats on other bids. Like Soros hasn't made his own bed in this anyways.

MoeRedskins
06-27-2005, 12:37 PM
I can't believe that they would threaten MLB with the Anti-trust laws if Soros buys the team. That is a dirty move on Tom Davis's part just by saying that.

CNYSkinFan
06-27-2005, 12:43 PM
"I think Major League Baseball understands the stakes," said Government Reform Chairman Tom Davis (R), the Northern Virginia lawmaker who recently convened high-profile steroid hearings. "I don't think they want to get involved in a political fight."

Davis, whose panel also oversees District of Columbia issues, said that if a Soros sale went through, "I don't think it's the Nats that get hurt. I think it's Major League Baseball that gets hurt. They enjoy all sorts of exemptions" from anti-trust laws.

If that is not a blatant threat I don't know what is.

I just don't know what the GOP is so afraid of here. Does he think Soros will conduct flag burning ceremonies at first base each evening? This is the most ridiculous flapo I have ever seen.

I would think that they would look into the anti-trust violations for baseball operating without a true comissioner (which is the reason they got the anti-trust in the first place. and no a former owner is not a true comissioner). But that would actually be acting responsibility.

CNYSkinFan
06-27-2005, 12:45 PM
It's not that he's a dem. It's that he's Soros. There are plenty of prominent democrats on other bids. Like Soros hasn't made his own bed in this anyways.

How has Soros made this bed? What right does congress have in carrying out vendettas on private businessmen? Because that is what this is, a vendetta.

Spence
06-27-2005, 12:49 PM
It's not that he's a dem. It's that he's Soros. There are plenty of prominent democrats on other bids. Like Soros hasn't made his own bed in this anyways.In what way has he "made his own bed"?

Minnesota Mike
06-27-2005, 01:05 PM
The Twins owner Carl Pohlad is a billionaire supporter of the GOP. He wants me and the rest of MN's taxpayers to for a new stadium. And the Republican governor of Minnesota thinks it's a great idea.

RedskinsDave
06-27-2005, 01:16 PM
In what way has he "made his own bed"?

Come on Tom...

Spence
06-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Come on Tom...Sorry, Dave, I don't know what you're talking about. If you're suggesting that opposing a political party in power is justification for government intervention in the marketplace to punish that person commercially, then you -- and I suppose quite a few Republicans on Capitol Hill -- are keen to live in a very different country than the one we are supposed to live in.

Do you know what a Bill of Attainder is? [If not, have a look (http://www.techlawjournal.com/glossary/legal/attainder.htm).] A bill of attainder is illegal and was specifically written into the Constitution by our founding fathers as an act of evil tyranny not to be tolerated by free men.

Am I about to be informed that James Madison hated America and freedom?

Ibleedburgundy
06-27-2005, 01:24 PM
I don't care who wins as long as they keep their profit margins consistent with the majority of MLB and not the Devil Rays. I'd prefer someone who was from he area and a life long baseball fan. Someone like, dare I say, Dan Snyder would be perfect-a guy who will spend when necesary to win.

Threats against Soros are out of line. Tom Davis has no more say in this private endeavor than you and I. He had nothing to gain from those comments, but much to lose.

RedskinsDave
06-27-2005, 01:30 PM
I love how naive to politics everyone seems to be when it's one of their own. I think baseball could consider this their last straw in screwing with Washington.

Spence
06-27-2005, 01:33 PM
I love how naive to politics everyone seems to be when it's one of their own. I think baseball could consider this their last straw in screwing with Washington.Baseball screwing with Washington? All baseball does is kiss Washington's ass. How do you think all those members of Congress get so many great seats to the playoffs and All Star game? MLB goes up there a few times a year and passes the tickets out like candy.

If you can provide me with examples of Democratic administrations intervening in the marketplace to prevent Republican businessmen from buying professional sports teams, I'd like to see it. As far as I can tell, this is absolutely unprecendented.

RedskinsDave
06-27-2005, 01:36 PM
Baseball screwing with Washington? All baseball does is kiss Washington's ass. How do you think all those members of Congress get so many great seats to the playoffs and All Star game? MLB goes up there a few times a year and passes the tickets out like candy.

If you can provide me with examples of Democratic administrations intervening in the marketplace to prevent Republican businessmen from buying professional sports teams, I'd like to see it. As far as I can tell, this is absolutely unprecendented.

I will, right after you show me where a republican and his group called a candidate Hitler and compared his party to the Nazis. Oh wait, that was just Soros and his lackeys playing politics.

Ibleedburgundy
06-27-2005, 01:44 PM
I will, right after you show me where a republican and his group called a candidate Hitler and compared his party to the Nazis. Oh wait, that was just Soros and his lackeys playing politics.

Maybe you have never heard of Rick Santorum who compared Democrats to Nazi's because they wanted to enforce a two-hundred year old rule in the Senate. The there is the whole Usama Obama comment...

CNYSkinFan
06-27-2005, 01:44 PM

Man this is too easy....

Rick Santorum
American Spectator

both in the last month. Wonder if you would be mad if Scaife was buying the nats?

CNYSkinFan
06-27-2005, 01:50 PM

Even if that is true....whcih it isn't (the moveon.org commercial you are referring to never aired on tv. it was part of a contest for vsupporters to come up with their best tv commercial against Bush. The commercials were uploaded to the website so people could vote on the content. There was no editorial process in place, all commercials were uploaded. Once it was brought to moveon's attention they immediately removed it and put in place a screening process. However ironically not wanting the issue to go away other right wing websites put up the commercial and aired it implying move-on made the commercial) What does that have to do with a private businessman doing his business? Nothing.

If anything MLB owners are mostly Republicans and the GOP is trying to send a message to their fellow supporters (bluntly and quite stupidly). IF the sale goes through I doubt any real retribution will come.

RedskinsDave
06-27-2005, 02:08 PM
That excuse used for moveon was lame when they tried it and is still lame. They knew damn well what they were posting on their website.

CNYSkinFan
06-27-2005, 02:10 PM
That excuse used for moveon was lame when they tried it and is still lame. They knew damn well what they were posting on their website.

UHm....and you know this..how? By the way the immediately removed it, apologized, and changed their process to make sure it did not happen again?

fent
06-27-2005, 02:18 PM
UHm....and you know this..how? By the way the immediately removed it, apologized, and changed their process to make sure it did not happen again?

actually, they didn't remove it at first, they moved it to another portion of the page. it was still a part of moveon but wasn't linked from the page. if you knew the link or googled it, you could still find it. drudge and a couple others found it (and linked to it) and it was definitely under a moveon.org/whatever site. after THAT they removed it.

CNYSkinFan
06-27-2005, 02:20 PM
actually, they didn't remove it at first, they moved it to another portion of the page. it was still a part of moveon but wasn't linked from the page. if you knew the link or googled it, you could still find it. drudge and a couple others found it (and linked to it) and it was definitely under a moveon.org/whatever site. after THAT they removed it.

Well they should of removed it immediately. iIF that is the case that was poor judgment. But they did not disseminate it to anyone after they "moved it".

fent
06-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Well they should of removed it immediately. iIF that is the case that was poor judgment. But they did not disseminate it to anyone after they "moved it".

definitely poor judgement. they took a lot of flack for that one, and rightfully so.

camasterton
06-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Are you offering unsorced opinions as factual? Oh, my, God!

CNYSkinFan
06-27-2005, 03:05 PM
Are you offering unsorced opinions as factual? Oh, my, God!

No...I was not. I was asking a question.

Spence
06-27-2005, 03:10 PM
This is really getting off the point. The fact is that EVERYONE should be against this. I know some of the righties in here find it impossible to believe that they will ever be out of power, but it's going to happen. It usually happens a lot sooner than you'd think. [I suspect the results of the 2006 gubernatorial elections will shock a few people into seeing sense.] It should bother everyone that members of Congress are openly threatening to use something outrageously illegal and unconstitutional against a citizen of this republic. But if that doesn't bother you because you're so blinded by partisan loyalties, consider it being used against GOP businessmen.

No government should be doing this. No administration, no Congress, no political party, nobody at all. The Bill of Attainder was one of the most hated instruments of British oppression in the 13 colonies and was mentioned quite prominently by the founding fathers as a particularly egregious example of imperial tyranny. If you're an American with a sense of justice and a desire for limited government, this should really, really bother you.

Minnesota Mike
06-27-2005, 03:20 PM
.... If you're an American with a sense of justice and a desire for limited government, this should really, really bother you.

But if you are petty and vindictive and like to see the power of government used against people you don't like, you should applaud this.

RedskinsDave
06-27-2005, 03:30 PM
But if you are petty and vindictive and like to see the power of government used against people you don't like, you should applaud this.

Thank you. That's what I've been trying to say. :D

camasterton
06-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Like the latest property rights decision from the Supreme Court?

RedskinsDave
06-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Like the latest property rights decision from the Supreme Court?

I don't see the connection.

CNYSkinFan
06-27-2005, 04:43 PM

Dave why do you hate America?

Axegrinder
06-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Marge Schott has left the planet.This isn't exactly as ordered,but she had her moments.

camasterton
06-27-2005, 07:51 PM
"the power of government used against people you don't like"