PDA

View Full Version : H back and Tight End

IowaSkinsFan
08-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Well, this article more or less clears up the confusion on the depth charts at these two positions.

Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/08/AR2005080800535.html?referrer=email)

The second week of training camp begins today with a late afternoon practice. And for the second week, Sellers will practice mainly as a blocking tight end.

So it looks like Royal and Sellers will be the tight ends with Cooley and White at the H back, barring any surprises.

LadyNRedskinsfan
08-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Redskins Sign Tight End

Associated Press
Monday, August 8, 2005; 10:58 AM

The Washington Redskins announced today they've signed tight end Robert Johnson.

The team calls Johnson a natural pass catcher as well as an effective blocker who is expected to add depth to Washington's tight end corp.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/08/AR2005080800521.html

Keino
08-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Further proving that the two positions are pretty interchangable......

H-Back = Receiving TE mainly

TE = Blocking TE mainly

I imagine that a White/Sellers combination would be for blocking run plays while a Cooley/Royal combo would be for passing. Any other combo would be to keep em guessing.....

IowaSkinsFan
08-08-2005, 12:52 PM
I think lining Cooley up at H back is a waste of his down field abilities, but then again, I'm not coaching.

IowaSkinsFan
08-08-2005, 12:53 PM
He has the name of a winner, but in reading the latest article from the Post, it looks like the Sellers and Royal will be the TE's.

thecheat48
08-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Well, this article more or less clears up the confusion on the depth charts at these two positions.

So it looks like Royal and Sellers will be the tight ends with Cooley and White at the H back, barring any surprises.

Eatin a bit of crow right now, as I wrote months ago "If Sellers is such a good blocker, why isnt he playing some TE?"

And there we go, looks like they found a place for him on the O side of the ball.

MoeRedskins
08-08-2005, 12:54 PM
So the team remains thin at TE. Hope this guy makes the team.

IowaSkinsFan
08-08-2005, 12:55 PM

Sellers has been lining up at TE this camp. He will be the primary blocking TE. Also mentions that Friedman has seen action there is certain packages.

bgforever
08-08-2005, 12:55 PM

Got your pm, you cool :)

Kozlowski is under the gun now, I believe, so this is more competition for that last spot.

LadyNRedskinsfan
08-08-2005, 12:56 PM
i hope he has some talent....the guy is 6'6"!

IowaSkinsFan
08-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Eatin a bit of crow right now, as I wrote months ago "If Sellers is such a good blocker, why isnt he playing some TE?"

And there we go, looks like they found a place for him on the O side of the ball.

I thought an interesting part of the article was about Sellers weight. He goes 260 now and they want him to bulk up to be the primary blocking TE.

Redskin-4-life
08-08-2005, 12:59 PM
He definitly has the size you're looking for at 6'6, if he has any talent he can make the team. TE position is very thin.

IowaSkinsFan
08-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Merging discussion on the TE position.

MoeRedskins
08-08-2005, 01:13 PM
I like Sellers at TE, he is a big body so can move people out of the way. It is just a question of whether he can move them from a stance as opposed to already having a full head of steam. That is going to take some adjusting to, but I like the move.

wave6ten
08-08-2005, 01:39 PM
I think lining Cooley up at H back is a waste of his down field abilities, but then again, I'm not coaching.

H-back isn't a waste of Cooley's downfield talent because an H-back can be motioned into so many different postions in order to take advantage of matchups.

tml6157
08-08-2005, 01:40 PM
anyone know what happened to Palmer the TE. I thought that a few weeks ago we were pumping him up saying that he was a nice suprise for not playing that much at Notre Dame but now i haven't heard anything about him lately and this new TE Johnson is wearing #40 which was palmer's #. Did he get cut or something?

wave6ten
08-08-2005, 01:51 PM
I like the move of Sellers to TE. I think it gives us excellent depth at all other positions.

RB-Portis, Betts, Nemo
HB-Cooley, Manny
TE-Royal, Sellers, Kozloski

Sorry to say but i think Cartright is gone.

Nemo looks too good.

ArRiNgToN_56
08-08-2005, 02:01 PM
What ever happend to the Basketball Player we signed...a while back he was spose to be a TE. Where did he go?

IowaSkinsFan
08-08-2005, 02:16 PM
H-back isn't a waste of Cooley's downfield talent because an H-back can be motioned into so many different postions in order to take advantage of matchups.

I'm talking about getting deep into the seam to draw safety coverage. I personally think those routes are more prevalent from the TE position and you can get greater depth from said position.

IowaSkinsFan
08-08-2005, 02:16 PM
What ever happend to the Basketball Player we signed...a while back he was spose to be a TE. Where did he go?

He was not offered a contract.

IowaSkinsFan
08-08-2005, 02:17 PM
anyone know what happened to Palmer the TE. I thought that a few weeks ago we were pumping him up saying that he was a nice suprise for not playing that much at Notre Dame but now i haven't heard anything about him lately and this new TE Johnson is wearing #40 which was palmer's #. Did he get cut or something?

Yes, he was released

skinfan43
08-08-2005, 02:25 PM
The King of the Mississippi Delta Blues is our new tight end? Maybe he & Sala'vea can do a dual 'air guitar' on the sideleine when he scores his first TD...

smoak
08-08-2005, 02:26 PM
I thought an interesting part of the article was about Sellers weight. He goes 260 now and they want him to bulk up to be the primary blocking TE.

I hope that is muscle!!

IowaSkinsFan
08-08-2005, 02:27 PM
I hope that is muscle!!

I think it will be hard to do that now. Most weight gains are in the offseason, not during TC.

thecheat48
08-08-2005, 02:29 PM
The King of the Mississippi Delta Blues is our new tight end? Maybe he & Sala'vea can do a dual 'air guitar' on the sideleine when he scores his first TD...

Exactly what I thought. Maybe he'll sign a deal with the devil to be a better TE.

TE is probably a better place for Sellers (in the redskins offense) as long as he can handle being on the OL.

Kope65
08-08-2005, 03:10 PM
The Redskins have also experimented using center Lennie Friedman at blocking tight end. Last week, Friedman took a few snaps in various packages. The Redskins like Friedman's savvy and athleticism at 6-3, 295 pounds

I hope we see this.... "Yes we are running and you can't stop us" formation about half way through the third quarter against the cowgirls. That will be Gibbs football; I don't care what plays we run. (meaning we are up and killing the clock :) )

tyrone_rush_fan
08-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Wow, this offseason and past draft are sure making a whole lot more sense now.

-I was wondering why outside of Royals, we have a bunch of camp fodder at TE. I have no idea what the final rosters numbers are gonna be, but I do know that you need to have more than one pure TE. And we do, it's Sellars, that's fine with me.

-That means we had no one to back up Cooley (an important position for Gibbs). That's why we drafted Manny. Cool.

-None of our RB's did too well in short yardage last year, so Nemo was certainly worth a pick.

-And lastly, who needs Mike Williams?, when you have A. Brown:)

Hopefully, I've learned my lesson for doubting Gibbs.

PennSkinsFan
08-08-2005, 03:44 PM
I would think at TE, Robery Royal likely has a lock. But, for the backup role, I would not specifically ink in Sellers and say he is guranteed the job. Palmer, Baber, Kozlowski, they are all gonna compete as well, and i think with Royal's ability to catch the ball, the best blocker of those three wins the job.

TheMalcolmConnection
08-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Speaking of inking, anyone check out the depth charts on the Skins website and think that some things are a little out of whack?

PennSkinsFan
08-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Palmer was released and veteran TE Robert Johnson signed.

Did anyone catch the small paragraph in that article about Lennie Friedman?????? They are looking at Friedman as a possible solution of blocking TE!!!! Wow, what felixibility that would give us. A TE that can also play OG and C.

GoDannyBoy
08-08-2005, 04:21 PM
I hope we see this.... "Yes we are running and you can't stop us" formation about half way through the third quarter against the cowgirls. That will be Gibbs football; I don't care what plays we run. (meaning we are up and killing the clock :) )

And that will be Nemo up the middle for 6 to keep the clock and sticks moving!

IowaSkinsFan
08-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Palmer was released and veteran TE Robert Johnson signed.

Did anyone catch the small paragraph in that article about Lennie Friedman?????? They are looking at Friedman as a possible solution of blocking TE!!!! Wow, what felixibility that would give us. A TE that can also play OG and C.

I think Baber was release too.

GoDannyBoy
08-08-2005, 04:26 PM
I and a few other people were wondering why Sellars was not getting more snaps at "O". Maybe he was too vaulable on teams. Although after that game with 3 penalities I wasn't sure he would make the team.

Lennie at TE and Sellars, nobody is going to stop that!

IowaSkinsFan
08-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Speaking of inking, anyone check out the depth charts on the Skins website and think that some things are a little out of whack?

It always is, even during the season. Watch it if we get a slew of injuries, they rarely keep up with that.

Welcome to hR by the way!

flave1969
08-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Robery Royal

That would make a good nickname. Lets hope he robs passes in the End Zone.

thecheat48
08-08-2005, 05:10 PM
I think Baber was release too.

He is still on the roster, while Palmer is not. So maybe he is still around.

dabro
08-08-2005, 05:33 PM

I hope it's not prophetic!

RedskinsVision
08-08-2005, 09:52 PM

Sellers is actually 278. it's Royal that's 260 and the team wants him to bulk up. i like this move.. Sellers is a good blocker and Portis did some of his best running with Sellers leading the way. although at TE he wouldn't be lined up in front of Portis.. but he has plenty of strength to block LB's and DE's and get into space.

CNYSkinFan
08-08-2005, 09:58 PM
how many slaps will I get if I bring up Heath Miller again?

lionel
08-08-2005, 11:14 PM
i hope he has some talent....the guy is 6'6"!

Robert Johnson weights 278 lbs!! The guys runs well, and blocks very well!

He was once one of Jason Campbell's favorite targets at Auburn.

http://www.auburntigers.com/football/stats/2002/histcarr.htm#37

He should have stayed one more year at Auburn. I hope he will work out for the skins!!

TheMalcolmConnection
08-09-2005, 07:07 AM
I hope it's not prophetic!

I agree. It's like they are expecting LaVar not to be there, as well as a number of players who've done "well" this offseason.

SkinsKY
08-09-2005, 07:08 AM

I would argue the opposite because the TE won't go downfield that often. TEs block mostly in this offense or catch very short passes. They primarily block. The H-back could be lined up in the slot which brings some interesting match ups there.

IowaSkinsFan
08-09-2005, 09:29 AM
I would argue the opposite because the TE won't go downfield that often. TEs block mostly in this offense or catch very short passes. They primarily block. The H-back could be lined up in the slot which brings some interesting match ups there.

The way we use a TE, yes. I think we should use the TE more in the passing game, the way more traditional sets do. Most safeties aren't responsible for covering a fullback from the backfield, LB's are. If we made the TE a receiving threat that demanded the attention of a safety, that would open things up more on the outside for the WR's.

colkurtz
08-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Robert Johnson may have been brought in since White isn't burning up the TC at H-Back. They need a very good pass catching H-Back in case Cooley gets hurt. They also could use Johnson height if he can survive TC.

I see the H-Back as being used as a surrogate possession receiver, since DMC may be cut. We need a tall guy or two out there with all the munchkins.

wave6ten
08-09-2005, 11:18 AM
The H-back is probly the most intricate position in our offense.

Cooley should easily catch 50 balls as our top posession threat.

charleesdad
08-09-2005, 04:11 PM
how many slaps will I get if I bring up Heath Miller again?
By all means... please bring it up because I dont think enough was made of the Skins' decision to take Campbell when an immediate impact player was available at that point in the draft. Let alone the fact that the impact player was at a position that the head coach values so much.

Imagine having Cooley at HB with Miller catching the ball from the first TE position and then Sellers purely blocking at the other side. I think we will see a lot of these 2TE 1HB sets this year and it could have been a monstrous addition for this team to have a Heath Miller lining up at one of those TEs

redwolf1218
08-09-2005, 04:51 PM
It's time for Royal to prove he can step up and start at TE. He should know the playbook by now, being in his 2nd year with the new coaching staff, so all he needs to do is stay healthy and block well. I'm not so sure his 8 catches proves he is much of a receiving threat, but his 4 TD's is evidence of his size and red zone capabilities. Cooley has proven he is a go-to guy with all his catches and TD's, so Royal will have to prove he is a dependable blocker, IMO, if he wants to start. If not, Sellers may win that position. Someone has to separate themselves from the pack and show they can block. I think that is what Walter Rasby was supposed to do, but apparently he was not good enough, so there is still a need for a blocking TE.