PDA

View Full Version : WP:Jason LaCanfora live chat

chrisbcbu
08-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2005/08/10/DI2005081001519.html)

Tokyo, Japan: Hi jason. We've been told that lavar and noble should be able to practice next week. But I have not heard when our 1st rounder CB will be ready! have you heard when he may be able to practice? Thanks

Jason La Canfora: I would not expect any of them to be going through full practices by Monday. There is no set timetable for any of them to come back and Carlos said he was coming along slow and steady when we spoke a few days ago, but said he was definitely not ready to put the pads on yet.

Ashburn, VA: Have you heard anything about Mark Shapiro of ESPN Entertainment being hired by Dan Snyder? Would he be involved in Redskins operations, or other business interests of Snyder?

Jason La Canfora: That rumor is floating around, and rather than supply an answer to our questions, Karl Swanson, one of Snyder's PR guys, exploded out at Redskins Park when asked about Shapiro. Hard to know what to make of that, but then again, those kind of antics are not that unusual either.
We'll keep working on it.

danny's stogie
08-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Pretty dull chat today...nothing interesting except that he likes Nemo.

chrisbcbu
08-12-2005, 01:09 PM
i did find this quite funny!!

Fairfax, VA: Do you see Len Pasquerelli at Redskins training camp, or does he send an assistant to cover the team? He's at it again, with another pointedly negative article about Gibbs and the Redskins, basically saying the teams offense sucks based on one preseason scrimmage, and basically rehashing last years stats (could have written the article at home in his underwear). Do you guys in the media get a sense that he has an ax to grind?

RedskinsDave
08-12-2005, 01:15 PM
I think ole Jason don't know his baseball:

That mlb package over the internet is pretty cool. Get to watch the Sox going for their inevitable repeat every night. Can't beat that.

Inevitable? With no pitching? Mmmkay. Stick to football.

whistleandthumb
08-12-2005, 01:36 PM
That underwear image of Lenny P. is disgusting. I'm disturbed for life.

Oh...

wait...

Yup. I just threw up a little in my mouth.

BurgundyNGold
08-12-2005, 01:40 PM

Oh...

wait...

:lol1: A verp?

The Iceman
08-12-2005, 02:42 PM
:lol1: A verp?
That's sick BNG. Just downright sick.

..........Ok, that's funny, downright funny.!!!

whitskins
08-12-2005, 03:08 PM
I don't like this guy. Ever since the Skins had that press conference to blast the reporters who were screwing up everything around the draft this guy has been kind of a hater. I don't like blind homerism from my reporters but I would like a guy who at least has something invested in this team.

Well who knows I could go on complaining that I want an actual Skins fan to cover the beat and the Post could hire Steve Czaban... Maybe I should just shut up.

redskinz#1fan
08-12-2005, 03:15 PM

Oh...

wait...

:lol1:

BIGSEF3
08-12-2005, 03:48 PM
i just had a scary thought after reading this.

"Jason La Canfora: Somebody, and some time, had better complete a pass of more than 20 yards. Even if it's Bryson Spinner to some receiver who will be on waivers in a week, it needs to happen. This offense has to show the ability to put a defense on its heels from time to time and execute the long game."

I hadn't even thought about that. Why would we play Spinner in a game?

We already have 3 QB's who supposedly HAVE to be on our roster:

1. Ramsey, the supposed starter who has ALOT to prove for Gibbs to trust him,
2. Brunell, a veteran with a weak arm who Gibbs wants to beleive in, and who's contract makes it infeasible to cut him, and
3. Cambell, a young rookie, and the guy of the future. He is our #3 guy now, but could be #2 before long, and the primary backup to our starter should he get hurt.

If Payton Manning was our starting quarterback, I could see giving a practice-squad guy some time. But WHY ON EARTH would Gibbs let Spinner get ANY playing time when he is trying to evaluate ALL THREE of these QBs? QB playing time is far too precious at this point, when all three of our QB's need to be evaluated.

I can think of only one answer. Gibbs is considering trading one of them THIS YEAR and Spinner needs to be evaluated to be our #3.

Before you burn me at the stake, hear me out. While none of our quarterbacks would be described as "great" by any team in the NFL, all 3 of them could conceivably start for an NFL team at some point this year and do a good job. All three of them are better than NEARLY ANY other NFL teams #2. They could keep a team whose starting Quarterback got hurt alive..... Sometimes Quarterbacks get hurt in the pre-season. There's 32 NFL teams. One of them is bound to get hurt at some point. And how many times has a decent team's playoff hopes been shattered early in the year, b/c their starting QB gets hurt?

What if Gibbs wants to see Spinner in action, because he is prepared to trade Ramsey or Brunell should a premier NFL starting QB go down?

sdredskinsfan
08-12-2005, 04:38 PM
A couple of observations. Canfora was a wimp in response to a comment about Fatsquerelli's clear bias against the team. Canfora even said that he is sure that Fatsquerelli prefaced his article with "it's only a scrimmage", when, in fact, Fatsquerelli said that the first scrimmage sets the tone for the rest of the season.

Also, Canfora said that Thrash might be tried at H-back. Did anyone else catch this? That would be interesting. I'm assuming he'd only be used in this capacity to block on sweeps (i.e., block someone in the secondary), or as a pass catcher.

On the whole, Canfora seemed fairly objective, and not inclined to bash the redskins at every turn.

openallnight
08-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Also, Canfora said that Thrash might be tried at H-back. Did anyone else catch this? That would be interesting. I'm assuming he'd only be used in this capacity to block on sweeps (i.e., block someone in the secondary), or as a pass catcher.

Yea, I saw this as well. Although, I think this is nothing more than a 3 WR set. I mean what's the difference in alignment w/ the slot vs. the HB?
As I've stated before in other threads. I also see Cooley lining up as a TE in this situation. It really gives us alot of options in the pass game. The key will be protection and picking up the blitz. Something Portis does very well but, Betts needs to improve in this area.

openallnight
08-12-2005, 05:45 PM
i just had a scary thought after reading this.

"Jason La Canfora: Somebody, and some time, had better complete a pass of more than 20 yards. Even if it's Bryson Spinner to some receiver who will be on waivers in a week, it needs to happen. This offense has to show the ability to put a defense on its heels from time to time and execute the long game."

I hadn't even thought about that. Why would we play Spinner in a game?

We already have 3 QB's who supposedly HAVE to be on our roster:

1. Ramsey, the supposed starter who has ALOT to prove for Gibbs to trust him,
2. Brunell, a veteran with a weak arm who Gibbs wants to beleive in, and who's contract makes it infeasible to cut him, and
3. Cambell, a young rookie, and the guy of the future. He is our #3 guy now, but could be #2 before long, and the primary backup to our starter should he get hurt.

If Payton Manning was our starting quarterback, I could see giving a practice-squad guy some time. But WHY ON EARTH would Gibbs let Spinner get ANY playing time when he is trying to evaluate ALL THREE of these QBs? QB playing time is far too precious at this point, when all three of our QB's need to be evaluated.

I can think of only one answer. Gibbs is considering trading one of them THIS YEAR and Spinner needs to be evaluated to be our #3.

Before you burn me at the stake, hear me out. While none of our quarterbacks would be described as "great" by any team in the NFL, all 3 of them could conceivably start for an NFL team at some point this year and do a good job. All three of them are better than NEARLY ANY other NFL teams #2. They could keep a team whose starting Quarterback got hurt alive..... Sometimes Quarterbacks get hurt in the pre-season. There's 32 NFL teams. One of them is bound to get hurt at some point. And how many times has a decent team's playoff hopes been shattered early in the year, b/c their starting QB gets hurt?

What if Gibbs wants to see Spinner in action, because he is prepared to trade Ramsey or Brunell should a premier NFL starting QB go down?

Whoa, I think you're reading way too much into his statement. He was just throwing out Spinner's name as an exaggeration to make a point. I agree w/ his point to a degree. Our offense has to develop confidence in themselves. Although, I really think it's the starters that have to build the confidence. Everybody knows that when you're playing 3rd team defenses late in a pre-season game there's always room to make plays downfield.

CarMike
08-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Pastabelly's secret life!

colkurtz
08-13-2005, 12:05 PM
This was a dull chat line with no new information. This guy wouldn't make a bold statement to save his life.
Executive summary:

Nemo is hot in training camp
C. Howard may be the cinderella story of the TC
Lenny writes his articles in his underwear at home
The Redskins better start having a long passing game or the run game will go nowhere.

chrisbcbu
08-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Here is a couple of questions that i emailed him. The questions are ok, but i was just shocked that he actually answered them. And he answered them pretty fast also.

Q: Who has impressed you the most in camp?

A: Hard to pick one guy who has impressed the most, but I'll go with, shockingly, Brunell for now.

Q: Do you think Ramsey will finally take hold of the offense? And has he possibly stopped staring at the receivers he is going to pass to?

A: I think Patrick will have to prove ir in regular season games before I am willing to say he has command of this offsense and the team is productive.

Q: Who is leading the starting TE position? I had heard Sellers could possibly start there during the season.

A: Royal will be the pass catcher out of that position in short yardage and goal line situations but Sellers could end up getting more snaps there overall as a blocker.

Q: Do you think Nemo can possibly make the roster and kick Rock out? Or do you see Nemo being put onto the Practice squad?

A: I see Nemo playing and giving Rock a real run for his money, particularly if Broughton brings it on special teams in the preseaosn game.

Q: Could Charles Howard possibly make the starting rotation at DE? I heard he was really impressing during camp.

A: I don't see Howard starting, cracking the roster would be it at this point.

Q: Do you think we will keep either Dyson or Mccants? Or do you think both could be cut and Antonio Brown can make the roster as a WR?

A: Barring injuries to other WR, it's either Dyson or McCants, not both.