PDA

View Full Version : Hawkins IR and Injury Settlement

PennSkinsFan
08-23-2005, 08:14 AM
The Redskins placed cornerback Artrell Hawkins on the reserve/injured list, essentially releasing him in advance of an injury settlement. Vice President Vinny Cerrato said that the two sides have five days to work out a settlement. Hawkins hadn't practiced since the first week of training camp because of a hamstring injury. Before the injury, Hawkins -- who was expected to provide depth and contribute on special teams -- seemed to have an edge in the competition for fourth cornerback.

From the Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/22/AR2005082201232.html)

I think that puts our five CBs at Shawn Springs, Walt Harris, Carlos Rogers, Garnell Wilds, and Rufus Brown/Ade Jimoh (whichever plays better int he next two pre-season games)

BurgundyNGold
08-23-2005, 08:20 AM
** Censored by Spence ***! That's right, I said ** Censored by Spence ***!!! I'm tired of having to carry unqualified players like Ade Jimoh on the roster as 4th or 5th CB every year. Last year, we managed to avoid having to let him see the field at CB becasuer we were fortunate enough to not get our CBs hurt too often. I don't want to have to roll those dice again.

CNYSkinFan
08-23-2005, 08:22 AM
** Censored by Spence ***! That's right, I said ** Censored by Spence ***!!! I'm tired of having to carry unqualified players like Ade Jimoh on the roster as 4th or 5th CB every year. Last year, we managed to avoid having to let him see the field at CB becasuer we were fortunate enough to not get our CBs hurt too often. I don't want to have to roll those dice again.

He is a hell of a special teamer though...maybe next year we spend a 6th and 7th rounder on some young DBs, much like we shored up h-back ans LB this year.

Redskin-4-life
08-23-2005, 08:47 AM
I think we should bring someone else in, at least to compete for the 5th spot.

IowaSkinsFan
08-23-2005, 09:02 AM
From the Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/22/AR2005082201232.html)

I think that puts our five CBs at Shawn Springs, Walt Harris, Carlos Rogers, Garnell Wilds, and Rufus Brown/Ade Jimoh (whichever plays better int he next two pre-season games)

Jimoh is the better ST's performer, Brown the better cover guy, IMO. If overall ST's depth has improved to the point where the team will be okay without Jimoh, then I think he gets cut and Brown stays. It really depends on what Danny Smith needs, IMO.

MoeRedskins
08-23-2005, 09:06 AM
I think we should bring someone else in, at least to compete for the 5th spot.

There really isn't anybody else left out there to bring in. I think we are fine in the DB department. If anything on defense worries me it is the D line. If two people go down on that unit this team will be scrambling to pick up nobodies.

BurgundyNGold
08-23-2005, 09:10 AM
He is a hell of a special teamer though...maybe next year we spend a 6th and 7th rounder on some young DBs, much like we shored up h-back ans LB this year.
We went out and got a whole bunch of ST performers this year in FA and in the draft. That should render they ground beneath his feet shaky at the very least. I just can't bear the thought of him in coverage anymore.

PA Skins Girl
08-23-2005, 09:30 AM

They may keep 5 Safeties and only 4 CBs. In that case it would be:
Taylor, Bowen, R. Clark, Prioleau, Stoutmire
Springs, Harris, Rogers, Wilds

Rufus Brown can go back on the practice squad to be activative if needed -he's still eligible.

BIGSEF3
08-23-2005, 10:24 AM
man, i would rather see us convert one of our receivers to cornerback than EVER see jimoh play defense again.

SkinsKY
08-23-2005, 10:45 AM
man, i would rather see us convert one of our receivers to cornerback than EVER see jimoh play defense again.

Seriously? He's not that bad.

wave6ten
08-23-2005, 10:47 AM
There really isn't anybody else left out there to bring in. I think we are fine in the DB department. If anything on defense worries me it is the D line. If two people go down on that unit this team will be scrambling to pick up nobodies.

There is always someone else out there. Just ask the Ptriots about Randall Gay.

PennSkinsFan
08-23-2005, 11:17 AM
They may keep 5 Safeties and only 4 CBs. In that case it would be:
Taylor, Bowen, R. Clark, Prioleau, Stoutmire
Springs, Harris, Rogers, Wilds

Rufus Brown can go back on the practice squad to be activative if needed -he's still eligible.

True, but with nagging injuries for Harris, rookie in Rogers, i just don't see being weak on depth at CB. I think we gotta keep 5.

MoeRedskins
08-23-2005, 12:21 PM
just heard on the radio that TOny Dixon has been cut too, I guess the DB sitiuation is starting to clear up.

NCskinsfanatic
08-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Yes he is....lol. Good ST's player, but at CB he is Ade OHNO!!!! And to be honest Browns cover skills didnt look much better in the Panthers game. Hawkins was actually a decent CB for the bungles and I hate that he want be here to keep OHNO and Brown off the squad.

smoak
08-23-2005, 12:37 PM
There is always someone else out there. Just ask the Ptriots about Randall Gay.

The Patriots made Gay what he is. Just like GW made Clark and Marshall what they are.

skinfan43
08-23-2005, 01:16 PM
I vote for "someone else" or Ray Mickens, recently cut by the Jets when they signed Ty Law, he's a solid vet, and could be a good ST contributor as well.

Brokenstriker
08-23-2005, 09:57 PM

if he plays CB in a game ... he will surrender 6 points faster than you can say "Bonjour mon Herr."

if he is a super stud on STs ... he may ... repeat may ... make a game winning difference in one game a season ... heck maybe two.

Its not a good trade ... the CB Jimoh will be played by any QB in the league resulting in losing games ... nobody has enough impact on ST to off-set the downside of having to play a CB who can not cover a deep route like Jimoh

ihatedallas
08-23-2005, 10:23 PM

Im comfortable with that

SonnyandSam
08-24-2005, 12:21 AM

There's a reason why his nickname is "Toast".

It is quite possible a CB or two will turn up as teams start cutting players and putting players on their practice squads. I think we have a decent chance to pickup a fifth cornerback that would be better than Brown or "Toast".

SkinsKY
08-24-2005, 07:32 AM
There's a reason why his nickname is "Toast".

It is quite possible a CB or two will turn up as teams start cutting players and putting players on their practice squads. I think we have a decent chance to pickup a fifth cornerback that would be better than Brown or "Toast".

Yes, but do you think we could just pick a WR and make him a better CB than Ade? I highly doubt it.

smoak
09-03-2005, 09:03 PM

So will you have your Jimoh jersey in time for the game in Arizona? :D

http://hailredskins.com/vbforum/showthread.php?p=524532&highlight=jimoh#post524532

BTW, if Jimoh makes the team this year, I have not forgotton my bet that I would get an Ade Jimoh jersey made up over at NFL.com and wear it to a game.

chrisbcbu
09-03-2005, 09:10 PM

http://hailredskins.com/vbforum/showthread.php?p=524532&highlight=jimoh#post524532

im sure he will wear it at the hR tailgate!

smoak
09-03-2005, 09:13 PM
im sure he will wear it at the hR tailgate!

i hope so! my man jomoh made it again! i really don't think he sees the field on defense as prielou (sp) will push for playing time in nickle and dime sets.

IowaSkinsFan
09-03-2005, 09:20 PM
i hope so! my man jomoh made it again! i really don't think he sees the field on defense as prielou (sp) will push for playing time in nickle and dime sets.

Prioleau and Stoutmire should hopefully keep him off the field on downs 1-3!

BurgundyNGold
09-03-2005, 10:16 PM

I guess I'm going to have to. :rolleyes: