PDA

View Full Version : Now that the dust has settled, how do we keep the Mo' Goin'?

wewantdallas
09-23-2005, 11:13 AM
This bye week comes at a perfect time. There's no way I as a fan am ready to focus on the Seahawks yet. I'm too busy rewatching the last five minutes of Monday night's game over and over again.

BUT, soon the Skins must come back to earth and get back to the job at hand, i.e. avoiding the mid-season collapse that has plagued this team for the last few years.

So, what are some areas of concern?

Obviously the offense still hasn't proven it's a well-oiled machine. Five minutes of offense in the fourth quarter of a game just isn't going to be good enough from here on out.

And special teams is still nagging at me. We really haven't had any decent returns yet, and the return on Monday that almost reclaimed the game for the girls did not speak well for the unit, either, especially considering the penalty that allowed us to kick from the 35. I have had doubts about our ST coach (Danny whatshisname) since last year and he hasn't erased those doubts yet.

Our defense is unreal. Best Redskins defense I've ever seen, bar none. It's obvious that opponents are going to need to rely on big special teams play and our own offensive mistakes to win games. If we can solidify those two sides of the ball....oh, man...look out, league.

The offense needs to focus on scoring over 20 points against the Seahawks. We HAVE to find a way to get over that 20 mark consistently the rest of the year.

Defense - just keep doin' what you're doin'!

Special Teams - time to tighten up that coverage and bust a return.

That Monday Night Miracle is an opportunity to turn this whole franchise back in the right direction, and this is no time to rest! 2-0 is great, but 3-0 will start a buzz league-wide. I can't wait to taste some Seahawk!

The Skinsinator
09-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Great post. What we mainly need to do to sustain the momentum is get more offensive consistency. Not just a little bit in the end of the 4th quarter. Our opponents, I doubt, will allow that to happen again late in the games. Other than those two plays, our offense looked poor. Yes, Brunell won the game. However, we have to effectively go downfield the entire game and not let defenses stack the box. Once we go downfield (at least 10 yds.), this will open up everything else especially Portis and Betts.

skins111111
09-23-2005, 11:43 AM
confidence is what we need and confidence is what we got.......keep throwing the long ball and everything else will fall into place. I'm thinkin we will consistantly put up 20+ pts real soon

ChiefPowhatan17
09-23-2005, 11:46 AM
We don't have any return guys with speed, even though I trust Thrash's hands, maybe it's time to put Moss back there. But still I don't want to risk Moss to injury.
Our cover team is much more of a concern to me than our returns. The last two years, we look like a high school team just hoping we stop them before the 40. It's horrible.
We are gonna be playing some great teams this year that aren't gonna quit and we need to get our breaks on ST.

The Skinsinator
09-23-2005, 11:58 AM
We don't have any return guys with speed and we need to get our breaks on ST.
Good point. Speed isn't everything, but it's important though. Brian Mitchell was a great example of this. That guy was awesome but no one ever compared him to Deion Sanders. I think alot of it boils down to blocking, vision, system, and confidence. Mitchell had all of them well in his favor. In addition, if our offense is never going to come through as we need this year, with the defense we have, we have to have good special teams to control field position.

skins74
09-23-2005, 12:03 PM
We keep the mojo going by playing good defense and scoring points. Atleast we now know Brunell can still throw it deep (nicely) so we need to continue to do so and if it clicks we will start rolling on offense. Gibbs needs to be agressive from the start.

smoak
09-23-2005, 12:24 PM
1. The defense. I am not sold. We don't get pressure and don't create turnovers. I really like the what the D did in the last 5 minutes of the Bears game to what the O did in the last 5 against dallass. Same concept (IMO). I think we are in for a rough year if we don't shore it up and start getting pressure.

2. The Offense. I think offense is better than most people do, but still only average. The important thing is to capitalize on red zone opportunities and stop shooting ourselves in the foot (tunofvers and penalties).

3. "Special" Teams - Novak scares the $&*# out of me because he has yet to attempt a kick... His kickoffs have me longing for John Hall, which is BAD! I'm fine with the return teams as my #1 priority is to NOT TURNOVER THE FLIPPIN BALL!!! Man antonio brown ticked me off. If the guys follow their blocks, we'll do ok (not great but ok). The coverage teams need work and don't need key starters. If these backups aren't capable of playing specialt teams, then cut them.

rocky12
09-23-2005, 12:25 PM
i'd love to see a play action bomb on the first play against seattle to set the tone for the rest of the season.

we clearly can't run when they stack the line. infact not being able to run the ball on 3rd and short bothers me. i'd like to see portis get some rushing td's.

whistleandthumb
09-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Hopefully, the main adjustment will come in the form of playcalling. We just need to get away from the conservative playcalling, and be more aggressive in getting the ball upfield. I think once Brunell gets the timing down with the WR's, some of those missed plays on Monday will become completions for us.

Also, there is absolutely NO excuse for not putting the ball in CP's hands AT LEAST 25 times. We need to control the clock better, and that means giving it to our best player and letting him take off.

BurgundyNGold
09-23-2005, 12:55 PM
i'd love to see a play action bomb on the first play against seattle to set the tone for the rest of the season.

we clearly can't run when they stack the line. infact not being able to run the ball on 3rd and short bothers me. i'd like to see portis get some rushing td's.
I have to agree with this. Gibbs can get that 8th man out of the box early by going down field early. He can keep 8 and 9 man fronts from in front of Clinton Portis by going downfield consistently.

I haven't seen it yet, but that's what we have to do.

BurgundyNGold
09-23-2005, 12:58 PM
Also, there is absolutely NO excuse for not putting the ball in CP's hands AT LEAST 25 times. We need to control the clock better, and that means giving it to our best player and letting him take off.
This has been a forgotten aspect of our offense. CP is an excellent receiver, although he is not at his best catching passes in the middle of the field in front of the MLB. Also, naked screens are a bad idea for anybody. There is just so little opportunity for RAC yards with those routes... we need to lose those plays.

CP is best in the flat -- on swing patterns or shielded screens. When passing to him -- which should be more often -- we should utilize his speed and get him out on the edges. That's what I would do at least.

ryflan47
09-23-2005, 02:47 PM
Put the ball in Moss's hands... no one do the voodoo like you do Moss.

Meatsnack
09-23-2005, 02:54 PM
For the Seattle game, I think the 12th man needs to be on his feet and pegging the sound meter whenever the opposing offense is on the field. We can and should set an emotional tone when the Seahawks take the field with 91K calling for blood and souls - theirs.

I think I worry less about our defense than I have in two decades. GW has always been unpredictable and our relative lack of QB blitzing doesn't concern me in the least.

On offense I am thinking what everyone else is, "How about a couple of big plays early?" That's what I had hoped for when Spurrier came aboard. I think I posted on this very board, "Well, it may not be winning football but at least it won't be boring." But it was boring because we killed outselves with penalties and turnovers every week. With Gibbs, he has the ability to set up a defense for a big play - if he trusts his team to execute the play. Hopefully the bye will be used to get that level of proficiency.

On teams, I am all about the coverage teams. I care a lot less about getting points out of the return game than I do about being safe with the football and limting opposing field position.

ryflan47
09-23-2005, 03:11 PM
For the Seattle game, I think the 12th man needs to be on his feet and pegging the sound meter whenever the opposing offense is on the field.
Our 12th man could be the deciding factor in some of these games, no joke. We're playin some close games and a shaky team like Seattle could easily be rattled by our crowd.

openallnight
09-23-2005, 03:15 PM
We need to improve in ALL areas of our game. Hopefully, this morale boost carries into next week and the team and 12th Man come out flying high. We've got to get an early jump on the Seahawks to really get the 12th Man going.
I believe our O has the ability to score 24 pts./game.
Here's the areas we need to concentrate:
The areas of biggest improvement must be made along the OLine.
- Dock needs to step up his game big time after a poor performance Monday.
- Better push off the line and backside blocking to create cutback lanes for Portis.
- We need to do a much better job of recognizing/picking up the blitz.
- We also need to do a better job of game planning and play calling. Brunell is a short, mobile QB that likes getting out of the pocket and throwing on the move. He is much more accurate and sees the field better on roll-outs and boots. We also need to do a much better job of play action and misdirection.
On D:
We need to shorten the field.
- We're giving up too many 1st downs.
- We must create TOs!!! We should aim for 3 TOs/game.
We need better QB pressure. This should take care of #1.
- More line stunts on passing down.
- Get Arrington ON THE FIELD!
- Rogers continued development will help.
- Clark's return should also help.
ST improvements:
- Longer Kick Offs
- Moss returns punts in key situations
- Moss returns kicks in key situations
- More consistent KO/Punt coverage

OCSKINSFAN
09-24-2005, 09:54 AM
I agree with Openallnight. In addition, we need more aggressive play calling on offense, better timing between Brunell and the receivers (hopefully this takes place during the bye), and a better pass rush from our D-line (this gives me the most concern).

golongdude
09-24-2005, 11:36 AM
I think (edit: no, I am sure) the first two of those things will occur, but not the pass rush. I am sure Williams uses the blitz as an additional compensation for the fact they we don't have a great pass rush. Didn't last year and it wasn't upgraded much this season, so nothing has changed. That said, they are still great at stopping the run, so that is half of it. I would say GW has optimized the defense for what he has to work with. I can't look at the D-line and expect (that is expect, but would love to see) much improvement on pass rushing this year.

Draft a big, fast defensive end. Cripes, look at what the Cboys have and how it caused us problems.

bgforever
09-24-2005, 12:19 PM
1. The defense. I am not sold. We don't get pressure and don't create turnovers. I really like the what the D did in the last 5 minutes of the Bears game to what the O did in the last 5 against dallass. Same concept (IMO). I think we are in for a rough year if we don't shore it up and start getting pressure.

2. The Offense. I think offense is better than most people do, but still only average. The important thing is to capitalize on red zone opportunities and stop shooting ourselves in the foot (tunofvers and penalties).

3. "Special" Teams - Novak scares the $&*# out of me because he has yet to attempt a kick... His kickoffs have me longing for John Hall, which is BAD! I'm fine with the return teams as my #1 priority is to NOT TURNOVER THE FLIPPIN BALL!!! Man antonio brown ticked me off. If the guys follow their blocks, we'll do ok (not great but ok). The coverage teams need work and don't need key starters. If these backups aren't capable of playing specialt teams, then cut them.

First off, let me say this is a timely and important thread. It is exactly why Rock and others are taking advantage of downtime by being back to Redskins park. Of course it wasn't the original plan, but still they made commitment.

I agree. The defense is our rock, but I also agree it still needs a serious, threatening pass rush. We looked inept often enough to send negative chills down my spine against the cowgirls! Daniels may be this and that from some time ago, but we have yet to have him do at least 1/3 of what did then. He, to me, is like Noble, unable to stay consistant and injuries seem to have slowed him to something of a shell of what he once was. Wynn doesn't threaten on pass rushing, thus having a team blitz more, when in fact it may not work out with a quicker release from the QB and a miscoverage.

The offensive line is impressing but once again, the letdown when all is going well, but still the hand to hand in the trenches is far more physical than the other positions, just to get into position to make a play. The RB position depends on these winning matchups to for decisive, yardage eating plays and they have delivered. However, the penalties take away those chances, forcing the pass, when it is the last thing we'd need to do at that moment.
Brunell's a force at QB, because of what he brings to the table. People are putting Patten in a geni bottle, but he isn't able to get oppen on some double teams, neither are most NFL WR's. He is reliable when it comes his way though those plays will come as the season progresses. Cooley is jut getting better and better.

The ST are a ? changes in who does what, may help, instead of getting other players. I like some plays and I hate others.

The coaches are probably going to be in tommorow and Monday with film and what they are going to see, is Seattle's a very, very dangerous team, capable of finally making the run the Superbowl without letting up. That's their potential, and the Skins are building on being just that sooner, than later.

GWBlitzST
09-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Two touchdowns in the first half against Seattle should just about do it.

colkurtz
09-24-2005, 04:32 PM
We need to establish a legitimate passing game. EVERY TEAM will play us at '8 in the box' until we burn them with the passing attack. Portis and Betts will not be able to run with eight slacked close to the line.

Play calling must go for real passes over the middle and long. The play calling is always so predictable to me and must be more balanced. We had four long passes in the Dallas game and hit 50% of them. That tells me it's just a matter of timing - we should do more of those and early.

The defense needs to blitz more and create more pressure. Sacks = turnovers -------- due to fumbles, interceptions or mistakes under pressure.

This team can really become good with some nice adjustments on offense to open it up.

BandWagon
09-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Good point. Speed isn't everything, but it's important though. Brian Mitchell was a great example of this. That guy was awesome but no one ever compared him to Deion Sanders. I think alot of it boils down to blocking, vision, system, and confidence. Mitchell had all of them well in his favor. In addition, if our offense is never going to come through as we need this year, with the defense we have, we have to have good special teams to control field position.
And I believe North/South running. Mitchell would just point downhill and go. Somehow I've always felt that was the best approach. Maybe that comes from all the years watching Brian and before that, Mike Nelms.

X-Factor13
09-25-2005, 01:42 AM
Put the ball in Moss's hands... no one do the voodoo like you do Moss.

Preach on brotha!

X-Factor13
09-25-2005, 01:45 AM
We had four long passes in the Dallas game and hit 50% of them. That tells me it's just a matter of timing - we should do more of those and early.

Actually, i believe we hit 3 long passes to moss. Not all for touchdowns, but i know he had like a 40 yard catch along the sideline that put us in scoring range. Which, in turn, we squandered as usual lol.

bgforever
09-25-2005, 01:48 AM
Actually, i believe we hit 3 long passes to moss. Not all for touchdowns, but i know he had like a 40 yard catch along the sideline that put us in scoring range. Which, in turn, we squandered as usual lol.

I caught a second glimpse of the game! That dude reminds me of both Clark and Charlie Taylor.

Moss IS da man! He was having cups of coffee in the secondary all day!

28Zcomeback
09-25-2005, 03:54 AM
First, in each year when the Redskins have won the Super Bowl, they've not only been talented, but they were lucky with injuries and just plain lucky. Case in point: in 1991, Houston comes to town, plays us tight. Moon goes down field with one min. to play and gets his team in field goal position. Kicker shanks an easy kick.

So, pray they're no major injuries. And pray that the ball bounces our way.

The key to winning the NFC East is a smothering, ball hawking defense. Right now we can smother the run but our pass pressure ain't what it should be.

I say dog the linebackers more often; bring Rodgers in as nickel and let him dog the QB. Do something to bring about a pass rush.

On offense, they just have to get the ball someway to Moss. Secondly, run Betts for first two series. He's a hammer and they are nails. Best to beat the opponent silly with a brute, then when they're dog tired, beat up, jammed fingers and all in the middle of the third quarter; bring in Portis to out run them all the way to the endzone.

golongdude
09-25-2005, 07:46 AM

Yup, in fact Emmitt and the other two were in the booth being interviewed and Emmitt complimented Brunell for 'buying time and making something happen'. That 41 yd strike was actually a really nice play and showed me something could actually happen downfield.

Now why they kept rolling to the right with a left-handed QB I don't know - he got absolutely crushed by the RDE on a bootleg right a few plays later when the RDE got by Samuels.