PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Thread

smoak
10-26-2005, 07:24 AM
So I just had a small coffee for the first time since middle school. I never understood the obsession, but I was at work at 5:00 a.m. and I needed a pick me up so...

I figured I open up a little discussion about what the bid deal is about this brewed beverage? Is it caffine addiction? Is it the auroma? Is it habit? Do you like the taste? Whats the big deal?

And who has the best coffee b/c what I just drank (house blend with 1 sugar and a drop of skim milk) was bitter.

redskin_rich
10-26-2005, 07:33 AM
I am, without a doubt, addicted to coffee. 2 cups, black, first thing in the morning or I will have a headache for the rest of the day. I don't do the gourmet, any regular brand is fine by me.

dj_stouty
10-26-2005, 07:37 AM
I love a cup of black coffee as soon as I get to work. Then another before lunch. No sugar...No creme/milk! I'm a coffee purist, so I only take my coffee BLACK.

I love the taste...I love the aroma...and I love the "pick-me-up" it gives me. My first cup of coffee was on the first day of my first real job after college. Everyone in the office went and got a cup, and so did I. I hated it at first, but now I love it.

And yes...it is very much a habit. I used to drink 4+ cups a day, and have cut it down to 2.

I HATE Starbucks coffee. Their coffee tends to be uber-strong, since most of their customers dump lbs of creamer and sugar into it. I think most black coffee drinkers like I prefer something a little more mild than what starbucks offers. It almost tastes like they burn their coffee...

Best coffee is from Dunkin Doughnuts. Hands down! 2nd best coffee is from Einstein Bagels. (Especially their Fall Brew and vanilla hazelnut blends.)

Patrick
10-26-2005, 07:42 AM
7/11 for the best coffee ALTHOUGH I admit I wouldn't know a good cup of coffee even if it thrown at me. ................. About 5 cups in the morning, maybe one in the afternoon.

GibbsRules!
10-26-2005, 07:43 AM
I got hooked while serving in the Navy. Standing watches at all hours of the night pretty much sealed my fate. I drink 6 cups every weekday morning and 8 cups every weekend morning.

Gotta have the gogo juice!

redskin_rich
10-26-2005, 07:50 AM
I definitely agree on the Dunkin Donuts coffee DJ, except for the one inherent problem with going there in the morning, if you are trying to lose weight anyway ;).

Wow, some of you guys drink 5-8 cups a day! I would be a nervous, cranky wreck if I drank that much. The only time I will drink a 3rd cup is after a sleepless night, I will have a cup at lunchtime to get through the rest of the day.

smoak
10-26-2005, 08:03 AM
Yeah, I think even 3 cups would have me dancing in traffic (as a non-drinker) so I can't imagine EIGHT!

Also, I rarely drink soda unless maybe I'm having a mixed drink. So I really don't get much caffine at all.

dj_stouty
10-26-2005, 08:07 AM
I got hooked while serving in the Navy. Standing watches at all hours of the night pretty much sealed my fate. I drink 6 cups every weekday morning and 8 cups every weekend morning.

Gotta have the gogo juice!

A good friend of mine just got out of the NAVY after 10 years of service, and he probably drinks 8-10 cups a day. If he doesn't have coffee, he is very iritable. lol

CarMike
10-26-2005, 08:15 AM
I was stationed with a guy who we called "The toxic advenger" He'd have a cup of coffee, coppenhagen dip, and cigarette all at once. :D

I can live or live without coffee. I like it but it has to have some sugar. I don't get the same effect most do. I go into work at 4:30 every morning so I tried to pick the habit back up. But I was just as tired after the cup of coffee as I was before.

GibbsRules!
10-26-2005, 08:16 AM
A good friend of mine just got out of the NAVY after 10 years of service, and he probably drinks 8-10 cups a day. If he doesn't have coffee, he is very iritable. lol

My youngest son gets up at six in the morning bouncing off the walls. If I don't get up to speed with him I'm a lost cause. That's the justification for the 8 cups on the weekend, lol.

GibbsRules!
10-26-2005, 08:21 AM
I was stationed with a guy who we called "The toxic advenger" He'd have a cup of coffee, coppenhagen dip, and cigarette all at once. :D

Good God Mike! That guy is a Dentists nightmare!

I hope he wasn't a close talker.

smoak
10-26-2005, 08:25 AM
Here is a question. Does anyone "irish up" their coffee?

GolfFreak
10-26-2005, 08:29 AM
I'm only at about 1-2 cups a day during the week. For me it's mainly habit, but I do get a nice jump start to the day. I've never tried plain black coffee, I load mine up with sugar.

danny's stogie
10-26-2005, 08:40 AM

Occassionally...don't ever Russian it though...worst drink I've ever had.

I'm trying to stick to one cup a day now after several years of 2-3. I'm not sure what the obsession is, but I love the taste of coffee and the day doesn't seem right without a cup in the morning. Yes I'm addicted, I'll have a massive headache by 11 am if I don't have a cup.

I'm not opposed to Starbucks...yes a lot of their coffee is ridiculously accidic, but if you can find a decent cup then I have no moral qualms with drinking it. Starbucks is a fantastic company who treat their employees really, really well. They give full health benefits to anyone who works over 20 hours a week and so while Walmart is off limits, I'll gladly give my money to starbucks.

I had the pleasure of living in Vienna, Austria about 2 years ago now and wow, coffee will never be the same to me. Not to act like a snob, but their coffee is a billion times better than anything I've had in this country. It's really smooth and much stronger and always mixed with whip cream that tastes like a cloud that fell from heaven. Also, the other coffee that I really like is ethiopian, and not just ethiopian beans. There's some sort of coffee press that ethiopian resturants have that makes amazing coffee. The stuff is wicked strong and will have me, usually immune to caffiene at this point in my life, bouncing off the walls.

speaking of which...time to go make a cup.

redskin_rich
10-26-2005, 08:48 AM
LOL, not in the morning. I used to sit next to a guy at RFK that would bring in a thermos of coffee and whiskey, it was a great cold weather beverage at football games.

dj_stouty
10-26-2005, 08:55 AM
It's really smooth and much stronger and always mixed with whip cream that tastes like a cloud that fell from heaven.

The only problem with that type of coffee is the calorie/fat content.

MoeRedskins
10-26-2005, 08:56 AM
If it weren't for coffee I would be asleep on my keyboard after lunch everyday. Problem is the coffee at my work is really bitter (I take it with just cream) so I usually bring in a cup and then force myself to drink one of theirs after lunch. That has really cut down on my coffee consumption. And as far as the Irish coffee goes, only time to do that is in the winter. I do it usually during flag football games, gets me a little pick me up and takes the edge off.

danny's stogie
10-26-2005, 09:11 AM
The only problem with that type of coffee is the calorie/fat content.

That's true, but it's also approximately 3/4 of your breakfast. All you need is a cup, and a piece of fruit or danish and you're ready to go.

akhhorus
10-26-2005, 09:43 AM
I havent drank coffee since I worked at Starbucks.

chrisbcbu
10-26-2005, 09:50 AM
I drink 1 cup in the morning and that is all. If i have more than 1 the rest taste bad.

Probably the best coffee i have had is Kona(hawaiian) coffee.

smoak
10-26-2005, 09:51 AM
I havent drank coffee since I worked at Starbucks.

Is there more to it? Did something happen or are you just sick of it?

PGiddy18
10-26-2005, 11:03 AM
Best coffee is from Dunkin Doughnuts. Hands down! 2nd best coffee is from Einstein Bagels. (Especially their Fall Brew and vanilla hazelnut blends.)

I am addicted, and that is the biggest understatement ever! If I could, I'd have a 24 hour IV drip of coffee. I drink at least one cup every morning before class/internship/work, whichever it may be on any given day, and then one in the afternoon when I get back (If I'm at my LaSalle job, they have a coffee machine there, so I'll have one or two cups then). Then I'll have one after dinner. If I'm having a rough day I'll drink a cup to calm my nerves.

I usually drink it with 1.5 sweet and low and a couple drops of skim milk if I have it.

Dunkin Dounuts is good.... but Nothing beats WaWa coffee. $1.09 for 24 ounces....and they have so many different kinds. I had pumpkin spice the other day... mmmmmm... so good! Alright, now I'm craving coffee and there isn't any in this office... thanks alot guys!

GibbsRules!
10-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Why would a Giddy Princess need a pick me up? :rolleyes:

RedskinsDave
10-26-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm an addict. I prefer Dunkin or 7-11 for regular coffee. I do cream and sugar. I don't know what it is but the coffee at deli's in NY is great. I cannot stand Starbucks regular coffees. They are too strong and too bitter. I do like their coffee drinks though, my favorite is the grande skin no whip mocha. I used to live about 75 yards from one and I probably spent over $20 a week there.

tbfoster1
10-26-2005, 11:41 AM
I drink 1-2 cups in the morning.

On a day off, I drink a pot and smoke a pack.

I like my coffee with skim milk

LATrueRedskin
10-26-2005, 01:06 PM
I drink a big cup in the morning on the way to school, and usually one after dinner to start homework. I'm quickly becoming an addict. I drink it with a TON of sugar and milk.

Axegrinder
10-26-2005, 01:31 PM
It's Up.....
Up....
& Away!!!
100 M.P.H.:)

whistleandthumb
10-26-2005, 01:37 PM
I have to have at least one cup in the morning, or I'm a zombie. My favorite coffee is from Coffee Bean, which anyone out on the left coast can testify to them having the best coffee products anywhere (help me out here, Whit).

To answer the original question about what the big deal with coffee is: To me, it's a little bit like wine. There are some great ones, and some bad ones, and you know when you're having a great one (Kona coffee!). There are different nuances to different blends and brews, and some drink it for the taste, and others for it's effects (caffeinne). Personally, I'm probably somewhere in the middle, though the taste of a perfectly brewed cup of coffee is one of life's greatest pleasures.

Like ol' Special Agent Dale Cooper said: "This is a DAMN fine cup of coffee..."

PennSkinsFan
10-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Every AM. I get a large 24 ounce at Sheetz on my commute, then have a cup or two when i get to work. For me, habit, and now a must, period. I have to have my coffee every monring, on weekends I just make it at home.

PennSkinsFan
10-26-2005, 03:24 PM
I am addicted, and that is the biggest understatement ever! If I could, I'd have a 24 hour IV drip of coffee. I drink at least one cup every morning before class/internship/work, whichever it may be on any given day, and then one in the afternoon when I get back (If I'm at my LaSalle job, they have a coffee machine there, so I'll have one or two cups then). Then I'll have one after dinner. If I'm having a rough day I'll drink a cup to calm my nerves.

I usually drink it with 1.5 sweet and low and a couple drops of skim milk if I have it.

Dunkin Dounuts is good.... but Nothing beats WaWa coffee. $1.09 for 24 ounces....and they have so many different kinds. I had pumpkin spice the other day... mmmmmm... so good! Alright, now I'm craving coffee and there isn't any in this office... thanks alot guys!

Puuuhhllleeeze. You drink it only to sober up, that is why you need it all day

HAWGZHEAD
10-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Here is a question. Does anyone "irish up" their coffee?Anyone ever had a Kioki coffee? Just wondering because it was one of the drinks I learned in Bartending school. As for me and the coffee drinking, I only llike it in the colder months and I dump flavored creamers and sugar in it so I am probably considered the coffee antichrist to coffee purists out there. How people drink it when it is hot outside is beyond me, unless it is for hangover purposes.

HAWGZHEAD
10-26-2005, 03:47 PM
. I had pumpkin spice the other day... mmmmmm... so good! Alright, now I'm craving coffee and there isn't any in this office... thanks alot guys!Not to get off topic but at the world beer festival in Wilmington last weekend I had a pumpkin ale beer from a small brewery and it was fantastic. If you get a chance to try a pumpkin beer do it and you wont be sorry

smoak
10-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Not to get off topic but at the world beer festival in Wilmington last weekend I had a pumpkin ale beer from a small brewery and it was fantastic. If you get a chance to try a pumpkin beer do it and you wont be sorry

Wilmington, Delaware?? And I missed it?

PGiddy18
10-26-2005, 04:28 PM
Puuuhhllleeeze. You drink it only to sober up, that is why you need it all day

I'm not allowed to drink until next week sir! Mono does that to you

HAWGZHEAD
10-26-2005, 04:51 PM
Wilmington, Delaware?? And I missed it?Wilmington NC

WackyJacky
10-26-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm with Hawgz: Can't drink a hot drink when it's hot outside. I prefer my caffeine delivered in a cold and fizzy state, a la diet Coke. However...when I need a little extra oomph in the mornings, I have been known to whip up a double espresso with a touch o' Sugar in the Raw, and maybe topped with some frothed milk. We have an awesome espresso machine at work, and I could have any kind of fancy-schmancy latte or capuccino concoction if I wanted one, but I almost always head for the Coke machine.

For me, caffeine is the only reason to drink coffee. Second would be the aroma (I do love how it smells). I think one of the reasons I've never been super crazy about coffee is that somehow it never tastes as good as it smells!

Carmelo
10-26-2005, 05:50 PM
So I just had a small coffee for the first time since middle school. I never understood the obsession, but I was at work at 5:00 a.m. and I needed a pick me up so...

I figured I open up a little discussion about what the bid deal is about this brewed beverage? Is it caffine addiction? Is it the auroma? Is it habit? Do you like the taste? Whats the big deal?

And who has the best coffee b/c what I just drank (house blend with 1 sugar and a drop of skim milk) was bitter.
I was never a coffee drinker until I went to Amsterdam. I was pretty broke while I was there and when you're in a coffee shop they give you a little cookie with your coffee so that was my food. I nibbled on cookies all day and drank the coffee. I took it black, no sugar no milk.

Then when I got home I missed Amsterdam a lot and whenever I had a cup of coffee it would take me back. You know how certain things can remind you of a place or literally take your mind back there for an instant? That's what coffee did to me. It was like Amsterdam in a cup. That's when I acquired the taste for coffee and every since then I've enjoyed it. It's to the point where I actaully enjoy the experience of a cup of coffee. I can take a cup of coffee to a scenic place and sit down and enjoy the view and be in heaven.

I'm not an everyday drinker. If it's there though, I'll have a cup. I don't crave it but I do enjoy it a lot.

redskin_rich
10-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Yeah Carmelo, I know about the coffee shops in Amsterdam. ;)

HAWGZHEAD
10-26-2005, 06:08 PM
You know how certain things can remind you of a place or literally take your mind back there for an instant? That's what coffee did to me. It was like Amsterdam in a cup.
.Are you sure you didn't steal that from a Maxwell House add?:lol1:

smoak
10-27-2005, 06:41 AM
Just had Dunkin' Donuts this morning (because people raved) and it was ok... Maybe I'm just not a coffee guy.

Carmelo
10-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Yeah Carmelo, I know about the coffee shops in Amsterdam. ;)
ahhh, the memories... They're a bit fuzzy but they're sweet nevertheless.

Are you sure you didn't steal that from a Maxwell House add?:lol1:
lol, no I stay away from maxwell house. It's true though, I drink coffee and I think of Amsterdam.

smoak
10-28-2005, 01:30 PM
I don't think I'll be a regular coffee drinker, but maybe on occasion...

bwparker
10-28-2005, 02:00 PM
I enjoy the occassional cup of coffee, but I could never drink it everyday. It has a similar effect on my body as smoking or drinking. It feels real nice when I do it once(one day), but if I do it two days in a row I start to feel...unclean. I'll start to feels slow and lazy, I won't like the taste of my own mouth and I'll feel kinda greasy.

C-7
10-28-2005, 02:16 PM
I don't think I'll be a regular coffee drinker, but maybe on occasion...

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think drinking too much coffee can be bad for your health, so maybe it's good not to get addicted.

I used to drink coffee everyday at work but then it started tasting bad and I could never try it again. It just kind of disgusted me after that. I actually prefer tea.

IllinoiSkinFan
10-31-2005, 05:50 PM
I'm with Hawgz: Can't drink a hot drink when it's hot outside. I prefer my caffeine delivered in a cold and fizzy state, a la diet Coke. However...when I need a little extra oomph in the mornings, I have been known to whip up a double espresso with a touch o' Sugar in the Raw, and maybe topped with some frothed milk. We have an awesome espresso machine at work, and I could have any kind of fancy-schmancy latte or capuccino concoction if I wanted one, but I almost always head for the Coke machine.

For me, caffeine is the only reason to drink coffee. Second would be the aroma (I do love how it smells). I think one of the reasons I've never been super crazy about coffee is that somehow it never tastes as good as it smells!
Ever have Iced Coffee? mmmmm
Just about everyday i have some type of coffee. If I cant get coffee I will have tea.

AGibbsGirl
10-31-2005, 06:57 PM
I pretend that I don't drink it, but I find that as I've gotten older (and my kids buses started coming at 6:30 in the morning) that 1/2 sup of sugar, 1/2 cup of International (or girl) coffee and 1/2 cup of milk (...what?...) get me going in the morning...other then that I usually drink Ice Tea and water all day.

I tell you what though, my little (4'9") sister drinks massive amounts of coffee every day, it's astonishing really...

RedskinRyan
10-31-2005, 09:15 PM
i used to drink coffee, then stopped, and i'll take sips every now and then. but reading this thread sure makes me want a cup right now. i'll prolly get one at 711 on my way to work.

Redblood
11-01-2005, 08:22 AM
A pot lasts me all day.

Only one Splenda per cup.