PDA

View Full Version : Turnovers a matter of bad luck?

jporterweb
11-06-2005, 12:26 AM
I'm finally watching the game today. I was able to download it. While watching this game I've realized that our turnover issue may be a matter of real bad luck. I've seen countless fumbles this season that bounce right back into the hands of of the offense. I saw it in the Giants game I think twice now. Plus I saw an interception that was broken up because our players collided. Could the turnovers be really bad luck for our team? I mean all the fumbles that have been forced I wonder how many have basically bounced right back into the hands of the offense.

bgforever
11-06-2005, 01:29 AM
Understatement. Listened to GW state how fumbles are just simply bouncing right back to opponents, or to their teammates. interceptions are just out of reach. Sacks are being avoided by freak "fear" ducks by QB's or odd running in traffic, with a bit of desperation.

We simply need to react a bit faster, expect some things to happen like fumbles and interception opportunities and jump on them. We haven't had the luxury as much of having one man front, one man back on receivers, since our D Line has done what we need them to do - make life miserable for the Qb. Basically, we have tightened up in the secondary to match the LB's now improving play (LA is back, needed that last game for adjustment). This back 7 should create some good efforts hopefully.

redwolf1218
11-06-2005, 05:43 AM
i have always thought that luck followed skill. the best seem lucky from time to time. they are good enough to be in position to get lucky. on offense we have to protect the ball better. running with both hands on the ball is not easy. on defense we have to swarm so when Taylor knocks the ball out, someone else is there to get it. Williams has fielded a team of over achievers but a few weak links have been exposed. the lack of turnovers for our defense and all those long runs to the left are not just bad luck.

redskin_rich
11-06-2005, 07:10 AM
i have always thought that luck followed skill. the best seem lucky from time to time. they are good enough to be in position to get lucky. on offense we have to protect the ball better. running with both hands on the ball is not easy. on defense we have to swarm so when Taylor knocks the ball out, someone else is there to get it. Williams has fielded a team of over achievers but a few weak links have been exposed. the lack of turnovers for our defense and all those long runs to the left are not just bad luck.
I totally agree Redwolf. Good teams make their own good luck and bad teams do the same with bad luck. It's not always true but is more often than not.

skins111111
11-06-2005, 07:52 AM
luck always evens out in the end

ScarletFire
11-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Sometimes it definitely is luck. The way the ball bounced when Cooley fumbled last night to give Dockery, who deserves HUUUUUGE credit for the recovery, a chance to recover was a combination of luck (the way the ball bounced) and heads-up play/hustle. It felt like hours that the ball was just sitting there waiting to be pounced on.

The D finally got another turnover last night with the RC interception at the end of the game. This was a huge mistake by McNabb caused by great defense. There was no one open anywhere and his time was running out. However, given the situation, RC should've just knocked the ball to the ground to avoid fumbling the ball back to Philly on his return. ST seemed to feel the same way as he basically got an assist on the tackle. It was great to get a TO (turnover not TO the JA) but the correct thing to do was knock the ball down.

Anyway, I think DD's hustle may be the turning point for the Redskins turnover woes.....I hope.

Fathead
11-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Imagine how scary we'd be if we were getting the bounces. 7-1 no problem.

The D needs to keep working hard, and they'll start happening. The interception last night was a result of good coverage and pressure in McNabb's face. We need more pressure, wherever it comes from.

whistleandthumb
11-07-2005, 04:48 PM
I think last night was the first time that we finally had some of those balls bounce our way. All year it seems like "big break" opportunities would just not go our way, and, last night, a few finally did. It was nice to see, for a change. Obviously, sooner or later, the ball was going to have to bounce AWAY from the opposition...

Kope65
11-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Lombardi said "you make your own luck" and I tend to agree with it. Doc made his luck by hustling down feild. There is some luck but I think it is 80% hustle.

Skins4life
11-07-2005, 05:08 PM
I'm finally watching the game today. I was able to download it. While watching this game I've realized that our turnover issue may be a matter of real bad luck. I've seen countless fumbles this season that bounce right back into the hands of of the offense. I saw it in the Giants game I think twice now. Plus I saw an interception that was broken up because our players collided. Could the turnovers be really bad luck for our team? I mean all the fumbles that have been forced I wonder how many have basically bounced right back into the hands of the offense.

Forget the fumbles. How did you download it??

Death_Venom
11-07-2005, 09:52 PM
The balls have rarely bounced our way in recent memory................The Eagles game being one of the few exceptions..............

smoak
11-08-2005, 04:57 AM
Forget the fumbles. How did you download it??

Yeah, I'd certainly be curious to know that one as well.

vabeach_skinsfan
11-08-2005, 08:44 AM
If luck went our way all the time, there is remote possibility that we would be 7-1 or undefeated. Unfortunately, luck is something you can't administrate. The Skins do it the hard way, and earn their wins. So at the end of the day when we'are victorious, there will be no doubt in our fans and the NFL's mind that it was our collective effort that won the game........not no concocted theory on how "luck" played a part in our dominace.

SkinsFan4Life2003
11-08-2005, 08:45 AM
I am in complete agreement that the fumbles are a matter of luck, but there's no excuse imo for the lack of INT's. Our DB's have had countless balls hit there hands only to be dropped, those types of drops are almost as bad as an offensive turnover imo.