PDA

View Full Version : Last call for Taylor Jacobs [Merged]

skinswin
11-18-2005, 04:20 PM
IMO..Taylor Jacobs last chance with this club is right now since Pattan is out for the year. Jacobs has shown flashes but the guy is always hurt. There comes a time where you have to put up or shut up and that time is now for Jacobs.

I want the guy to succeed but he's fragile to say the least. Brunell needs another target desperately and if Jacobs can come thru, this offense will move to even a higher level then what we've seen so far.

Will Jacobs stand up and be a significant contributor to our offense? Gibbs says the guy was great in the pre-season practices.

GibbsRules!
11-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Things happen for a reason. Hopefully, TJ will take advantage of this and make the most of it. I believe he will.

Hail Redskins!

The Skinsinator
11-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Alot of people think he's already ran out of chances, that's why I'm excited he has this one. Even though not drafted by Gibbs, he was a stud in college and he has alot of talent. Gibbs has even said he has been working his rear off getting over this injury which is very good to hear. I also am encouraged by the high praise Patten gave to him during training camp. Definetely do or die time for him.

silverspring
11-18-2005, 04:34 PM
i just hope he really isn't as frail as his injury history indicates

ryflan47
11-18-2005, 04:36 PM
"Replacing Patten in the starting lineup will be third-year receiver Taylor Jacobs, according to Gibbs."

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=12658

skinsfan811
11-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Hopefully he's an upgrade from the pass-dropping Patten.IDK who's a worse pick-up...Rod Gardner a couple of years ago or David Patten?

colkurtz
11-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Jacobs is either invisible or hurt. Always on the verge of a breakout and then nothing happens.

I do not think he will survive the off season as a Redskin.

The Skinsinator
11-18-2005, 04:40 PM
We have been talking about this all day, but I really am very happy to see Taylor with this opportunity. If he turns out to be good, we will have an outstanding nucleus of young offensive talent. I don't like 2 small receivers starting at all. Need some size which Taylor provides. Seize the moment Jacobs.

ryflan47
11-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Was there an official annoucement made that I missed until now?

The Skinsinator
11-18-2005, 04:46 PM
IDK who's a worse pick-up...Rod Gardner a couple of years ago or David Patten?Hard decision, but I'd actually take heat and say Patten. Although 50/50 dropped the ball alot, he also caught his fair share and had respectable yardage. Patten has yet to do that. Patten is definetely a more likeable figure however.

whistleandthumb
11-18-2005, 04:51 PM
It IS time for TJ to step up. If there was ever an opportunity for him to cement a place with this team, this is it. Hell, he could be our #2 next year, and drop Patten to #3. He needs to make some big plays for us, and should have the opportunity, seeing how most teams will double Moss knowing that Patten is not in the game. This should give Jacobs some time with the football... let's hope he makes the most of it.

GolfFreak
11-18-2005, 05:38 PM
He has 7 game to show what he's got, his career as a Skin depends on this season. I don't see him back next year if he can't prove his worth in these remaining games. Good luck, I'm pulling for him.

EberKain
11-18-2005, 05:51 PM
I do not think he will survive the off season as a Redskin.

Well, he is going to get some playtime during the rest of the games for sure, if he doesn't at least make some noise, then I agree with you.

ShaggySkins
11-18-2005, 05:51 PM
If Taylor Jacobs ever had a chance to step up its now. The oppurtunity is his, I think he has the talent and ability I just hope he is there mentally. One of the biggest knocks on him coming out of college was injuries and his confidence. I just hope he's matured enough to be effective out there for us. We need a #2 wideout and Jacobs IMO can be that guy.

The Skinsinator
11-18-2005, 06:00 PM
He has 7 game to show what he's got, his career as a Skin depends on this season.Gibbs, the fans, and everyone else knows this 100%. I just hope Jacobs does. I think Gibbs needs to light a red hot fire in his *CENSORED BY SPENCE*. Wake him up a bit and say get it going Taylor. We need you buddy.

hail2skins
11-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Jacobs has to get touches which means Brunell needs to look his way. He can run routes and get open all he wants but if Brunell isn't looking for him, then what does that say?

ryflan47
11-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Jacobs has to get touches which means Brunell needs to look his way. He can run routes and get open all he wants but if Brunell isn't looking for him, then what does that say?
Brunell may be forced to look for him, they're gonna send everyone after Moss, and the rest after Brunell. I like Jacobs going into this game as an unknown to a lot of people outside of our fanbase.

frankez99
11-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Hopefully he's an upgrade from the pass-dropping Patten.IDK who's a worse pick-up...Rod Gardner a couple of years ago or David Patten?

I never understood the hate for Rod Gardner...he would look awfully good right now as a big 2nd receiver in this offense.

CapitalDefense
11-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Maybe Jocobs can emerge like the kid Edell Shepard did against us last week. Its certainly time for him to move up the depth chart or move out of town. Like the previous poster said Mark needs to look his way and get him involved or Santana will be doubled the rest of the year.

skinswin
11-18-2005, 07:52 PM
I think that the "Brunell not looking for any other then Moss" argument has some validity. For being a starting QB for years, Brunell doesn't survey the field the way he should. And he doens't look off safties the way he should either.

If Brunell hit a lot of reciever in the Tom Brady mode, it would be better for the offense as a whole.

lefty420
11-18-2005, 08:05 PM
first we run a different offense than the patriots. we run max protect so we only send out 2 or 3 recievers duriong pass plays. the patriots will send out 5. next runell does survey the field which is why sellars, colley, and protis have made some huge catches. i think part of the problem is patten has not been geting open or moss has been getting open as he is the first looks in most pass plays. hence being number 1. pattens problems are not brunells. he has had alot oflooks and a couple games he was called on he stepped up but when we needed him the most in that giants game he dropped some big balls. i think he might have been hurt for alot of this season. same as brunell last year. but him not getting touches is not brunells doing. remebr we do have like one of the best offenses in the league at number 10. its not like we have been struggling offensively

OCSKINSFAN
11-18-2005, 11:39 PM
The fact is TJ hasn't had a chance to show what he can do. He didn't intentionally get injured. Injuries happen in this game. However, now is his chance. He needs to produce and show he is a good #2 receiver. While I don't wish injuries on anyone, I think this could be good for the team. Patten was not cutting it, and TJ has the talent and youth to be a significant upgrade. We will see. I for one am excited about the possibility. Let's hope for the best.

lefty420
11-19-2005, 12:02 AM
iam excited as well. i think he can be an great downfield threat like moss is. i belive thats why gibbs has kept him around. and thats why gibbs is giving him the start vs thrash. we will see. i can;t wait to see big 84 looking like the old 84 lol

redskin_rich
11-19-2005, 12:27 AM
I really hope Jacobs makes the most of this opportunity, he couldn't have asked for a better one. Moss is going to draw the best CB and a safety, Jacobs should have a few one on one plays to show what he can do. I have been dissappointed in him thus far but I will be rooting for him to prove me wrong. To tell the truth, I have seen so little of him, because of injuries, I don't know what to expect. I have heard the hype from teammates though, so I am a little excited at finally seeing what he can do.

As for Patten, I don't think we should dump on him, he obviously has been playing hurt. And Gibbs has believed in him or he would have been benched. I know Patten looked good in camp and in the preseason, so now I believe he has been injured and that is why he wasn't as productive during the reg season. Not an excuse for dropping balls and especially stating to the media that he didn't know why he wasn't getting more opportunities. But then again, we don't know how or what he was asked and he may have been concealing the injury, either on his own or by the teams advice.

Paintedbird
11-19-2005, 12:59 AM
If the guy gets so much as a hang nail, his career's over.

Paintedbird
11-19-2005, 01:08 AM
I've got to respond to the Moss comment, even though I like Taylor and think he can be effective.

He's not nearly as quick and fluid in his cuts as Moss and has never shown Moss' ability to adjust his body acrobatically to a thrown ball. Don't expect him to be a Moss...settle for a guy who draw some heat from Moss and contribute three to four catches per. and occasional long yardage.

DoGood
11-19-2005, 01:25 AM
I've got to respond to the Moss comment, even though I like Taylor and think he can be effective.

He's not nearly as quick and fluid in his cuts as Moss and has never shown Moss' ability to adjust his body acrobatically to a thrown ball. Don't expect him to be a Moss...settle for a guy who draw some heat from Moss and contribute three to four catches per. and occasional long yardage.

I'm pretty sure your talking about Santana but it sounds more like Randy. Randy Moss is the master of Jump Balls and plucking balls out of the air right over defenders. I would describe Santana's talent as being able to put himself in a great position to catch and run without losing any momentum. Plus it helps that Brunell has thrown some beautiful balls and dropped it right in the basket. One of my very favorite Brunell to Moss moments was the first 43 yard bomb in the San Fran game. We just bulldozed down the field and Mark dropped that ball right into Moss' hands in pretty good coverage.

Anyway, Taylor has been getting a little work here and there but hasn't gotten many throws his way. I hope he has prepared for an increased workload this week and I hope he and Mark quickly develop that oh so important CHEMISTRY! Thats a word that hasn't been talked about in this thread considering that was a major storyline going into the season. Thank goodness for Brunell to Moss because Brunell to Patten never really developed. Unfortunately, Brunell to Jacobs does not exactly roll off the tongue.

Go Skins!

DoGood
11-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Is this really hitting home to anyone else that Patten is done and there are 7 games left? Taylor Jacobs is in for a lot of work should his body hold up. I hope he makes the best of his opportunity and set the stage for next year.

greatest2
11-19-2005, 01:45 AM
what do you get with an experienced QB
--------one who can manage the game, not make turnovers and one who can see then entire field.

Taylor Jacobs, i have seen hime in spring practice (though it is 3 hours away from OC, MD) and he always looks open. I predict Jacobs to be one of the best 2 recievers in the league.

Maybe not show it this weekend because he needs to gain gibbs confidence to get open as a starter, but expect a break out game the following weekend.

Jacobs is our savior at our number 2, think about how potent we will be with thrash/patten as our 3!!!!!

P.S. yea i said it, i said Jacobs is our savior at 2. so i'm a little loaded, what of it