PDA

View Full Version : Updated playoff scenarios

Redskinfan28
12-12-2005, 10:58 AM
I saw this on another board and I'm bored at work, so I thought I put this out there. Altjough it is unlikely that the Skins will win out because Dallas and the Giants seem to be playing better than us, but here is what has to happen for the Skins to make the playoffs. (I am going to assume that if the Redskins lose once more they are out.)

Here's what needs to happen:

1. WIN OUT

and have either:

2A. the Giants lose one of their other two games (vs. KC, @ OAK)

OR

have TWO of the following happen:

2Bi. the Falcons lose a game (vs. NO, @ CHI, @ TB, vs. CAR)
2Bii. the Vikings lose a game (vs. PIT, @ BAL, vs. CHI)
2Biii. the Bears lose two games (vs. ATL, @ GB, @ MIN)
2Biv. the Panthers lose two games (@ NO, vs. DAL, @ ATL)
2Bv. the Buccanneers lose out (@ NE, vs. ATL, vs. NO)

jaggedice
12-12-2005, 11:03 AM
I dont see the bucs losing out or the panthers losing two more. I think we have to count on the vikings losing one more (probably to the steelers or bears. im counting on the steelers since they are on the brink of losing in the playoffs). And I cant see the Falcons winning all of their games against the bears, panthers and bucs. But remember, this is all meaningless talk if we cant win out. WE HAVE TO WIN EVERY GAME. I know these things will fall in place for us if we can just win out.

WorldBFree76
12-12-2005, 11:08 AM
At least there is realistic hope...though it's going to be very hard to win out...ahh, if only they hadn't choked games away...

GWBlitzST
12-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Win and we're in, or so it would seem. I just want to beat the Cowgirls.

flave1969
12-12-2005, 11:10 AM
We need to win out first then worry about the rest.

Redskinfan28
12-12-2005, 11:13 AM
We need to win out first then worry about the rest.

No doubting that, but there is no harm in fans looking ahead and in the big picture.

bwparker
12-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Another way to look at it is this:
Giants
Chicago
Seattle
Carolina
Tampa Bay
Are all going to the playoffs. So we need to win ONE more game than the following teams. This is possible EVEN with a 9-7 record. Though unlikely because it would mean all three of those teams go 1-2 over the final three games(I'm assuming Atlanta wins easily tonight), but if you look at their opponents it IS possible. I annotated likely losses.

Minnesota(Losses to PIT and CHI)
Falcons(Losses to CHI and TB or CAR)
Cowboys(Losses to WAS and CAR)

Notice that the Skins beating the Cowboys is key, if that doesn't happen the Cowboys would have to lose to STL in the final game in order for us to go.

its alot of 'ifs'.

Keino
12-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Another way to look at it is this:
Giants
Chicago
Seattle
Carolina
Tampa Bay
Are all going to the playoffs. So we need to win ONE more game than the following teams. This is possible EVEN with a 9-7 record. Though unlikely because it would mean all three of those teams go 1-2 over the final three games(I'm assuming Atlanta wins easily tonight), but if you look at their opponents it IS possible. I annotated likely losses.

Minnesota(Losses to PIT and CHI)
Falcons(Losses to CHI and TB or CAR)
Cowboys(Losses to WAS and CAR)

Notice that the Skins beating the Cowboys is key, if that doesn't happen the Cowboys would have to lose to STL in the final game in order for us to go.

its alot of 'ifs'.

We actually get in if we are tied with the 3 teams you list, by virtue of winning the tie breakers

dj_stouty
12-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Since we have beaten the Bears this year...we need the Vikings to win out and take the NFC North. Assuming the Bears and Skins both have 10 wins, we win the tie-breaker.

Since the Bucs beat us....we need them to win out and take out the NFC South.

We should let the Giants win the division and hope Dallas goes on a losing streak, starting this weeeknd.

We need to loudly root against the Panthers, Falcons, Bears and Cowboys...

PennSkinsFan
12-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Which shows, no scoreboard watching by these players. Take care of bsuiness ont he field, the rest takes care of itself. If players are too busy watching what Minn, Car, TB, NYG, etc.. are doing, it is a distratction. Business starts at FEDEX, take care of it there, look at scores post game int he locker room.

bwparker
12-12-2005, 11:42 AM
We actually get in if we are tied with the 3 teams you list, by virtue of winning the tie breakers
I know this. Its taken into account in what I said. In fact, I'm the one who started the tie-breaker thread last week to point it out to the rest of the board. They are all one game ahead of us, which means we need to win one more game then them in the three remaining games to get into that tie-breaker scenario.

Redskinfan28
12-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Which shows, no scoreboard watching by these players. Take care of bsuiness ont he field, the rest takes care of itself. If players are too busy watching what Minn, Car, TB, NYG, etc.. are doing, it is a distratction. Business starts at FEDEX, take care of it there, look at scores post game int he locker room.

I don't think there are any players post here. We are just fans looking ahead.

Santheb
12-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Copied and pasted for another board..

For the Redskins to make the playoffs, there are 3 scenarios.

Scenario 1: Redskins win: Cowboys, Giants, @ Eagles - finish 10-6
================
Dallas would lose the H2H tiebreaker and be out of playoffs
Atlanta would need to lose 1 game - Saints, @Bears, @Bucs, Panthers
Minnesota would need to lose 1 game - Steelers, @Ravens, Bears

Scenario 2: Redskins win: Cowboys, split: Giants, @Eagles - finish 9-7
================
Dallas would need to lose 1 game - @Panthers, Rams
Atlanta would need to lose 2 games - Saints, @Bears, @Bucs, Panthers
Minnesota would need to lose 2 games - Steelers, @Ravens, Bears

Scenario 3: Redskins lose: Cowboys, win: Giants, @ Eagles - finish 9-7
================
Dallas would need to lose 2 games - @Panthers, Rams
Atlanta would need to lose 2 games - Saints, @Bears, @Bucs, Panthers
Minnesota would need to lose 2 games - Steelers, @Ravens, Bears

There's also still the chance that the Redskins could win the NFC East. If the Giants lose to the Chiefs and the Redskins, and the Redskins win out, the Redskins take the NFC East.

This sets up a HUGE Redskins/Cowboys game this weekend that looks to be an elimination game. The winner will be in control of their own playoff destiny. If the Redskins lose they're all but done. If the Cowboys lose, they'd need to finish with one more win @CAR, STL than the Redskins NYG, @PHI - not unreasonable, but that looks like a 1-1 split both ways.

whistleandthumb
12-12-2005, 12:32 PM
I still think us taking the division is going to be the most likely scenario. The good thing is that we pretty much have the advantage here. Yes, the Girls and Giants have been playing better, but we're at home for both games, and the stakes are so enormous that our players should be REALLY fired up.

If we can just focus on winning out, I think things will work themselves out. And, even if we don't make the playoffs, finishing 10-6 would be HUGE for this team.

Redskinfan28
12-12-2005, 12:39 PM
I still think us taking the division is going to be the most likely scenario. The good thing is that we pretty much have the advantage here. Yes, the Girls and Giants have been playing better, but we're at home for both games, and the stakes are so enormous that our players should be REALLY fired up.

If we can just focus on winning out, I think things will work themselves out. And, even if we don't make the playoffs, finishing 10-6 would be HUGE for this team.

if we go 10-6, we are in. the other teams are not good enough to win out, especially minnesota.

PennSkinsFan
12-12-2005, 12:56 PM
I don't think there are any players post here. We are just fans looking ahead.

Post no, view yes

whitskins
12-12-2005, 12:56 PM
I still think we have a better shot at winning the division than anything. The Giants were ravaged by injuries this week and will be facing a KC team that is out for blood and will be essentially eliminated from the playoffs with a loss. Ryan Moats ran for 100+ yards on 11 carries against the Giants yesterday, I think Larry Johnson carries them to victory.

IF that happens then wins over Dallas and NYG will put us in first place in the division with a game in Philly in Week 17 to clinch it. If KC can just win this weekend then we control our own destiny to win the division.

I don't care what the odds are, the 12th man better be ready to will this team to victory each of the next two weeks.

swheeler
12-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Post no, view yes
Cool. I've always wonderd about that.

whistleandthumb
12-12-2005, 01:07 PM
if we go 10-6, we are in. the other teams are not good enough to win out, especially minnesota.
I'm knocking on wood as I type this. :)

VTBob
12-12-2005, 01:41 PM
Post no, view yes

how do you know that - eyes in the sky? :D

JoeJacksonTaylor28
12-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Post no, view yes
Tell us! Tell us! Tell us! Tell us! Tell us! Tell us! Tell us! :)

Syllable
12-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Since we have beaten the Bears this year...we need the Vikings to win out and take the NFC North. Assuming the Bears and Skins both have 10 wins, we win the tie-breaker.

Since the Bucs beat us....we need them to win out and take out the NFC South.

We should let the Giants win the division and hope Dallas goes on a losing streak, starting this weeeknd.

We need to loudly root against the Panthers, Falcons, Bears and Cowboys...
To be honest if we are aiming to win out anyways the best scenario is the giants loosing to KC since they are gettin desperate. But who would win in a tiebreaker between us and the giants?

PA Skins Girl
12-12-2005, 02:30 PM
To be honest if we are aiming to win out anyways the best scenario is the giants loosing to KC since they are gettin desperate. But who would win in a tiebreaker between us and the giants?
We would. If we win out, we would only have 1 division loss and the Giants would have 2 division losses. We win the tiebreaker.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers

NCskinsfanatic
12-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Winning the division would be ideal and it is plauseable starting with a win over Dallas. As for the Giants, KC is going to really need one after falling to the boys, Eli has struggled recently and they havent looked like the team that beat us 36-0 in quite some time. Wins over the giants and cowboys would be huge and could lead to a division crown....but we cant sleep on philly, they played NY very hard Sunday.

Syllable
12-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Winning the division would be ideal and it is plauseable starting with a win over Dallas. As for the Giants, KC is going to really need one after falling to the boys, Eli has struggled recently and they havent looked like the team that beat us 36-0 in quite some time. Wins over the giants and cowboys would be huge and could lead to a division crown....but we cant sleep on philly, they played NY very hard Sunday.
I want that team that beat us 36-0. They had no presence in any side of the ball. They should have had 50 on our dismal performance. We gave them the ball so much that it was all us and none of them. I think 10 points was garbage throwing time.

JoeJacksonTaylor28
12-12-2005, 02:44 PM
We would. If we win out, we would only have 1 division loss and the Giants would have 2 division losses. We win the tiebreaker.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers
Yeah, if the giants lose this week to KC, we control the NFC East destiny. Win out and we are NFC East champs. Ok, this starts with the girls....

WE WANT DALLAS!!!

Syllable
12-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Anyways we choke alot so i would rather have devision and face a worse wildcard than win wildcard and have to face a new born seatle or something. EWW.

"IF" we make it i hope we get those vikes so we can watch and see what freddie missed for a couple million. When his team gets stomped.

LATrueRedskin
12-12-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm just excited we have a chance to sweep Dallas right now.

The Skinsinator
12-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Anyone seen spreads yet on our game and the Giants game? I'm thinking ours will be even and the Giants will be favored by 3.

BostonSkins
12-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Anyone seen spreads yet on our game and the Giants game? I'm thinking ours will be even and the Giants will be favored by 3.

We opened as 2.5 point favorites against the Boys this week...

JoeDaSchmoe
12-12-2005, 04:15 PM

Honestly, that's surprising.

whistleandthumb
12-12-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm just excited we have a chance to sweep Dallas right now.
That's an undefeated season in my book! :)

nynate
12-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Honestly, that's surprising.

You get 3 points for being at home, so basicly it's even money.....

But I don't care if we win by 1 point, we need to win.

Been awhile I've been this nervous/excited about a game, I hope the last 10 years or so of dissappointment are washed away in these next 3(+) weeks.

whistleandthumb
12-12-2005, 04:25 PM
To be fair, the home team is generally granted a 3 point advantage, so the oddsmakers are essentially saying the game is EVEN.

JoeDaSchmoe
12-12-2005, 04:31 PM
To be fair, the home team is generally granted a 3 point advantage, so the oddsmakers are essentially saying the game is EVEN.

Right. And that's surprising.

Jeremybozz
12-12-2005, 05:03 PM
I will still cheer for the Saints though it is unlikely they beat the 7-5 Falcons.

NCskinsfanatic
12-12-2005, 05:46 PM
I had a bad week picking against the spread and even though I picked the Falcons to cover tonight, I hope they lose the game to the Saints.....unlikely as that may be :rolleyes: !