PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs on the short week.

CNYSkinFan
12-22-2005, 10:10 AM
I was reading Rich Tandler's blog at Warpathn Insiders and he made a good point today:

An Amazing Stat

The Redskins are coming into a situation identical to one following a Monday night game. They will have a short week to prepare as played on Sunday and the Giants will have the normal full week having played on Saturday.

Joe Gibbs has mentioned that more than a couple of times, starting minutes after the Dallas game. However, there is scant evidence that this is anything that Gibbs should worry about. Keeping in mind that this situation is similar to a Monday night game setup, with Gibbs’ team on short rest and preparation compared to the opponent, chew on this stat:

On games following Monday night football, Joe Gibbs is 20-3.

That’s just amazing. He’s won coming off of the short week 87% of the time, and the statistical sample covers just less than a season and a half and it’s over a period of 11 seasons (Washington didn’t play on MNF in either of Gibbs’ first two seasons). That, my friends, is a trend.

I’ve heard a lot about the disadvantage of teams playing on a short week, so assume that the average record of teams coming off of MNF is a little under .500. That means that Gibbs’ advantage over the field is 400 percentage points. That’s money.

It was my impulse to say that Gibbs obviously had a much better idea as to how to prepare his team on a short week than other coaches did. But wait, his opponents were always coming off of a regular week. So he did better in what is commonly a disadvantageous situation. He was the one-legged man who won the butt-kicking competition 20 out of 23 times.

SOURCE (http://redskins.scout.com/2/481474.html) (not a subscription piece)

More evidence of why Coach Gibbs is the only current NFL Coach with a bust already in Canton. Winning consistently on a short week when your opponents have a week to prepare...way to go Coach.

GolfFreak
12-22-2005, 10:12 AM
I was reading Rich Tandler's blog at Warpathn Insiders and he made a good point today:

[QUOTE]

<B>An Amazing Stat

Ummmm ... what?

CNYSkinFan
12-22-2005, 10:16 AM
[quote=CNYSkinFan]I was reading Rich Tandler's blog at Warpathn Insiders and he made a good point today:

Ummmm ... what?

I fixed the post, don't know why the first one did not come out right.

Redskin4Life
12-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Hope we can move that percentage up to 87.5% after this week....

redskin_rich
12-22-2005, 10:21 AM
How can that be considered a trend when most of it occurred during Gibbs first tenure here? During Gibbs current tenure, we are 1-1 on short weeks.

helimech24
12-22-2005, 10:24 AM
I will take those kinda numbers any day of the week. Can we have more short weeks? It is just amazing.

CNYSkinFan
12-22-2005, 10:24 AM
How can that be considered a trend when most of it occurred during Gibbs first tenure here? During Gibbs current tenure, we are 1-1 on short weeks.

Well RR of course most of anything related to Gibbs will take place during the first tenure because he has spent 1.5 season in the 2nd tenure and 11 seasons in the first tenure.

And I personally disdain the trend of comparing each tenure like they were different HC's. t implies to me that Gibbs is somehow a lesser coahc then in the previous tenure. When people talk about Parcells they don't parse out his record with the Cowboys vs jets vs patriots vs Giants. They lump it all together, the same respect should be given to Gibbs.

redskin_rich
12-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Well RR of course most of anything related to Gibbs will take place during the first tenure because he has spent 1.5 season in the 2nd tenure and 11 seasons in the first tenure.

And I personally disdain the trend of comparing each tenure like they were different HC's. t implies to me that Gibbs is somehow a lesser coahc then in the previous tenure. When people talk about Parcells they don't parse out his record with the Cowboys vs jets vs patriots vs Giants. They lump it all together, the same respect should be given to Gibbs.
Sorry, I don't mean to say that Gibbs is any lesser of a coach, obviously he is not. This is however a different team, a team that last year was worse than any team Gibbs ever had. Gibbs is molding this team into a powerhouse like the ones he had in the past but we're not there yet. I don't think anyone needs to look at stats to know that Gibbs and co are one of the most prepared staff's in the league.

And I personally disdain the use of stats to show why we should win any particular week. :)

CNYSkinFan
12-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Sorry, I don't mean to say that Gibbs is any lesser of a coach, obviously he is not. This is however a different team, a team that last year was worse than any team Gibbs ever had. Gibbs is molding this team into a powerhouse like the ones he had in the past but we're not there yet. I don't think anyone needs to look at stats to know that Gibbs and co are one of the most prepared staff's in the league.

And I personally disdain the use of stats to show why we should win any particular week. :)

Touche'!

LATrueRedskin
12-22-2005, 10:38 AM
That's an impressive stat and a comforting one. What a work ethic this guy has.

CNYSkinFan
12-22-2005, 10:54 AM
We still need to do our work, but I thought that this stat should be shared so people see just how good a coach Joe Gibbs is.

dj_stouty
12-22-2005, 10:55 AM
I heard that Gibbs gave the players two days off, despite being a short week. If that is true...lets hope they returned focused and ready to perform on Saturday.

redskin_rich
12-22-2005, 11:00 AM
I heard that Gibbs gave the players two days off, despite being a short week. If that is true...lets hope they returned focused and ready to perform on Saturday.
Yeah, they doubled up yesterday with classroom and practice. Normal practice today and light workout/walkthrough on Friday. The coaches wanted to make the week as routine as possible and give the players the necessary rest this late in the season.

smoak
12-22-2005, 01:24 PM

I think they are in full playoff mode already. I remember seeing a quote from Gibbs about he was nervous that the players were too uptight b/c NOBODY joked around in practice before the dallass game.

Of all his strengths, I think Gibbs is best at managing people and motivating them to succeed. He endears himself to players and I think they'll run through walls for him before it is all said and done.

CNYSkinFan
12-22-2005, 01:28 PM
I think they are in full playoff mode already. I remember seeing a quote from Gibbs about he was nervous that the players were too uptight b/c NOBODY joked around in practice before the dallass game.

Of all his strengths, I think Gibbs is best at managing people and motivating them to succeed. He endears himself to players and I think they'll run through walls for him before it is all said and done.

he also knows when and how to rest players and when to bust their ass. Coaches like Coughlin would practice his team extra hard no matter what, Gibbs knows the vets are focused. He is giving rest to an injured team and then doubling up with a gameplan that will knock the Giants down.

Damn it I think I am going to put myself into a coma until noon on Saturday...I am starting to lose sleep thinking about it.

smoak
12-22-2005, 02:02 PM
he also knows when and how to rest players and when to bust their ass. Coaches like Coughlin would practice his team extra hard no matter what, Gibbs knows the vets are focused. He is giving rest to an injured team and then doubling up with a gameplan that will knock the Giants down.

Damn it I think I am going to put myself into a coma until noon on Saturday...I am starting to lose sleep thinking about it.
I can't even sit here without "Hail to the Redskins" or the "Da da da da HEY - YOU SUCK" going through my head! I'm going nuts! Honestly, after the season I might need to "detox" for awhile. I am usually somewhat normal.

BurgundyNGold
12-22-2005, 02:06 PM
I can't even sit here without "Hail to the Redskins" or the "Da da da da HEY - YOU SUCK" going through my head! I'm going nuts! Honestly, after the season I might need to "detox" for awhile. I am usually somewhat normal.
Tell me about it. I'm going to have to do some kind of sabbatical so that I don't go broke for lack of doing work.

bwparker
12-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Iíve heard a lot about the disadvantage of teams playing on a short week, so assume that the average record of teams coming off of MNF is a little under .500. That means that Gibbsí advantage over the field is 400 percentage points. Thatís money.

There is a serious loophole here. He didn't ACTUALLY do the necessary research to back his arguement. People talk about the advantage of coming off a bye week too, so you could assume that the average record of teams coming off a bye is a little over .500. Not so, I did research on this earlier in the season and found that over the past five years(plus the first few weeks of this season) teams were a PERFECT 84-84 coming off bye weeks. So, I wouldn't trust the short work week until I'd seen the stats. Which is what I'm going to try to dig up right now. ;)

bwparker
12-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Ok...so I just looked up this year and 27 monday night teams played again the next week(some teams hahd bye weeks following their Monday night performance and I didn't count them). Any way 15 of the 27 teams won their next game(.556). Which is still less than Gibb's record, but if I had time I'd keep looking deeper into past years.

See the problem with his hypothesis is that the Monday night games are scheduled to be played between the teams that are expected to be very good, so teams that get to play on Monday night are going to be winning teams, so you'd actually expect them to win their next game more often than not.

CNYSkinFan
12-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Ok...so I just looked up this year and 27 monday night teams played again the next week(some teams hahd bye weeks following their Monday night performance and I didn't count them). Any way 15 of the 27 teams won their next game(.556). Which is still less than Gibb's record, but if I had time I'd keep looking deeper into past years.

See the problem with his hypothesis is that the Monday night games are scheduled to be played between the teams that are expected to be very good, so teams that get to play on Monday night are going to be winning teams, so you'd actually expect them to win their next game more often than not.

hater :)

IMALILTEAPOT
12-22-2005, 03:59 PM
How can that be considered a trend when most of it occurred during Gibbs first tenure here? During Gibbs current tenure, we are 1-1 on short weeks.well, actually 2-1. last year we played SF on a saturday

helimech24
12-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Tell me about it. I'm going to have to do some kind of sabbatical so that I don't go broke for lack of doing work.

I don't think I will be able to watch sportscenter or listen to espn radio. This has been mind numbing.

redskin_rich
12-22-2005, 08:55 PM
well, actually 2-1. last year we played SF on a saturday
I was including that game and the game last year against Cleveland after the Monday nighter against Dallas. What game did I miss?

smoak
12-23-2005, 07:05 AM
There is a reason Gibbs gave the players and extra day off, and it isn't JUST because they won.