PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Key Players??

fent
01-05-2006, 06:43 PM
anyone else seen the ESPN site on our matchup? they list Brunell, Portis, and Thrash as our players to watch...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/series?series=wastam

santanadasavior
01-05-2006, 06:45 PM
anyone else seen the ESPN site on our matchup? they list Brunell, Portis, and Thrash as our players to watch...

I agree with that. Moss will get doubled so Brunell and Thrash are likely to hook up and we all know what Portis can do.

Check out the poll further down. Yeah Boy.

SpicyMcHaggis
01-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Trash?? Why not Moss? Or Cooley...

SpicyMcHaggis
01-05-2006, 06:47 PM
I agree with that. Moss will get doubled so Brunell and Thrash are likely to hook up and we all know what Portis can do.

Moss has been getting doubled all year and that hasn't stopped him from having big games, and hasn't helped other WRs do pretty much anything (aside from Trash's only catch vs. Philly..)

DoGood
01-05-2006, 06:50 PM

Thrash is an odd choice. Do the bucs not have good secondary depth? Or is James Thrash starting opposite Moss now? Taylor Jacobs is an enigma but I see Thrash as no more than a number 3 option.

fent
01-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Thrash is an odd choice. Do the bucs not have good secondary depth? Or is James Thrash starting opposite Moss now? Taylor Jacobs is an enigma but I see Thrash as no more than a number 3 option.

i dunno...that's what i can't figure out. maybe they feel that he'll have a mismatch if we go to a 3 receiver (plus cooley) set?

SimplyZ
01-05-2006, 06:59 PM
i saw that, i think its just a mistake...why would they show off galloway when they dont have much of a 2nd WR either?

i also saw the poll, i was pretty pleased because all my (raven) fans seem to think we have no chance ("dude, tampa is good") but i remind them that we already beat them ;)

its funny too, two weeks ago people were 100% assuring me that we'd lose to the giants and that we couldn't make the playoffs...I REALLY wanna see a few of those guys again (i barely see the one kid that told me the giants would kill us)

santanadasavior
01-05-2006, 07:01 PM
i saw that, i think its just a mistake...why would they show off galloway when they dont have much of a 2nd WR either?

i also saw the poll, i was pretty pleased because all my (raven) fans seem to think we have no chance ("dude, tampa is good") but i remind them that we already beat them ;)

its funny too, two weeks ago people were 100% assuring me that we'd lose to the giants and that we couldn't make the playoffs...I REALLY wanna see a few of those guys again (i barely see the one kid that told me the giants would kill us)

it's funny how those same people wear Redskins stuff the next day.

Skinsfan1311
01-05-2006, 07:06 PM

While I wouldn't argue Thrash's selection, I think it's just ESPN's knee-jerk reaction to his big reception....these "experts" probably only watched highlights......

helimech24
01-05-2006, 07:09 PM
I think the play of Brunell will be the biggest difference in the game. If he can spread the ball around to all the receivers, including to portis on a outside screen, we should be successful. We all know the running game will be there, it was last time, but can Brunell be good against a good secondary? I think so, and that is why we will win.

GolfFreak
01-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I saw that too and wondered why Thrash??? If they think they'll double Moss and take him out of the game then Cooley will run wild. I'd love to see Thrash contribute though!

santanadasavior
01-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Moss has been getting doubled all year and that hasn't stopped him from having big games, and hasn't helped other WRs do pretty much anything (aside from Trash's only catch vs. Philly..)

Moss caught all three TDs in the Giants game in single coverage.

ryflan47
01-05-2006, 08:29 PM

Yeah I think it was a mistake too. Either that or they're basing it soley on last week, which still doesn't make any sense.

bgforever
01-05-2006, 08:31 PM

Precise but not quite. Add some more, but DON'T write it here :)

rskinsfan10
01-05-2006, 08:39 PM
I didn't see this, but I agree with Thrash being a key.

As Doc Walker mentioned numerous times, while Thrash was out, we lost our ability to run effective 3-4 WR sets. Jacobs didn't do squat when given the opportunity to step up. If Thrash comes in and does a few things to disallow the Bucs to roll double coverage towards Moss, then Moss will probably have a field day. Also, running these 3-4 WR sets that have to be respected opens up even more space for Portis.

santanadasavior
01-05-2006, 08:42 PM
I didn't see this, but I agree with Thrash being a key.

As Doc Walker mentioned numerous times, while Thrash was out, we lost our ability to run effective 3-4 WR sets. Jacobs didn't do squat when given the opportunity to step up. If Thrash comes in and does a few things to disallow the Bucs to roll double coverage towards Moss, then Moss will probably have a field day. Also, running these 3-4 WR sets that have to be respected opens up even more space for Portis.

Couldn't agree more. We need to give Portis a chance to hit the hole and have no one on the other side.

Biggie
01-05-2006, 08:43 PM

Some guys can't catch three touchdowns if they're not covered at all.

http://www.panthers.com/photos/perm/main/IMPGOHBNNMKM/gardner-rod_hs-05.jpg

santanadasavior
01-05-2006, 08:48 PM

Understood. But the point was that the running game gets Santana into single coverage. That is more important to our success than having other recievers get open beacause of Moss's distraction. Both are important, but the first one more so.

IMALILTEAPOT
01-05-2006, 09:09 PM
i think this is just a mistake, because the people at espn dont know enough about our team to know that thrash is a big part of our offense. i dont think they would know that he opens up things for moss and cp, cuz all they look at is stats and highlights.

Keino
01-05-2006, 09:23 PM

This post made me laugh out loud!!!!!!!

SpicyMcHaggis
01-06-2006, 02:28 AM

Actually one of the TDs was a screen pass...look I agree that thrash's presence will be important so we can physically line up 3 wrs, but there is no way that our three most important offensive players are not Brunell, Portis, and Moss...with Cooley next...Thrash is great in special teams, but the Philly game proved that even if the D shifts consistently towards Moss, Thrash might pick up one or two catches, no more..and besides, I would rather give Portis 25 carries and Betts 10 more than have Brunell pass the ball 30 times, which is what needs to happen in order to give Thrash lots of catches..

BraveSkin76
01-06-2006, 09:51 AM

This is why I think who ever starts opposite Santana Moss on Saturday (thrash or Jacobs) kust bring their A-game. I have to say that I am quite sure that Ronde Barber (with Safety help over the top) will have a good shot of containing Santana. So for me, If we don't get help from one of the receivers, we will suffer in that aspect of the game.

On a related note, I wish Taylor Jacobs had taken the opportunity available to him when David Patten got sidelined earlier this year. I mean, is he ever gonna step it up in a "Skins uniform?

bgforever
01-06-2006, 10:02 AM
i think this is just a mistake, because the people at espn dont know enough about our team to know that thrash is a big part of our offense. i dont think they would know that he opens up things for moss and cp, cuz all they look at is stats and highlights.

Exactly - these guys rarely make the trip that FOX and NFL Network does to confirm their in depth information. Using tid bits from other writings and folks like Pasta Belly's beat writing (LOL!).

I do believe Jaws, Clayton, Theismann (though sometimes he's very off) get a good amount of information correct.

SpicyMcHaggis
01-06-2006, 12:45 PM
On a related note, I wish Taylor Jacobs had taken the opportunity available to him when David Patten got sidelined earlier this year. I mean, is he ever gonna step it up in a "Skins uniform?

At this point it seems highly unlikely...